Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lugubrious posted:

As far as I know, it's been just bugfixes, adding languages, and I believe the occasional small QoL fix, but nothing substantial.
Pretty sure they added some new animations too. Not that this seems substantial at this point, but back in 2019 where you figured the game was complete it was kind of cute finding out that they added one to an action you performed in text before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Xander77 posted:

Every single skill has the same voice? Ugh.

Oh no! I thought they'd get a voice actor with a lot of range, so it was the same voice at the core but each one sounds a bit different. This is just the same exact voice.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

Every single skill has the same voice? Ugh.

I am oddly disappointed they all have the same voice. The same actor is fine but the same fixed cadence feels weird. Reaction Speed plodding along with periods like a lead boot. Shivers with no hint of spookiness or static buzz.

Practically, I can't say each line could be individually directed with full care and attention. And 'fully' voice acting the script is a bonkers ambitious project at the best of time.

At least this way, you either like the skills talking or you don't, and you swap between original and final voices based partially on that, instead of having a weird 'I can't do a Shivers run because the distortion makes me queasy' or 'I can't do a high Perception run because that's the accent of my home town'.

As it's lived on my 'Stuff to Watch again and again' playlist on Youtube for about a year, I'm gong to link to Miracle of Sound's Disco Elysium song if anyone wants to get hype. And yes, the OST will do a similar job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sAxhu04SlM

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
“As a final note – I’ll get pretty in-depth now, but hey! you’re reading an interview with a Disco Elysium dev so you get what you pay for – in our psychological system the 24 skills all reside in the same part of your character’s brain: the Posterior Neocortex, where modern science says consciousness lies,” adds Hindpere. “The casting sheet literally says: POSTERIOR NEOCORTEX. So the skills all share the voice of the Posterior Neocortex. There are different brain-voices in the game too: the Ancient Reptilian Brain, the Limbic System and the Spinal Cord (all narrate your dreams). Those have different voices, because they are truly different parts of your character’s brain.”

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I am pleasantly surprised at the new Cuno. Similar vibe, disaster averted!

Definitely also a bit bummed all the skills are the same. I get that it's all the voices inside your head so one VA makes sense, but I too thought they would have some cadence or energy shifts. I don't think electrochemistry and say, visual calculus should sound exactly the same.

That being said, if this is truly the game as they intended, I loved the hell out of their vision before. I'm going to try and go in with an open mind and not just "these are not what I wanted". They impressed me once, and I'm sure they'll do it again.

I was also hyped for cyberpunk so what the gently caress do I know haha.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Soysaucebeast posted:

Here's the new Cuno too. I don't like the new guy as much as the old one, but it's not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N84rQcnAbaA

I am a fan of everything happening here.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

Here's the new Cuno too. I don't like the new guy as much as the old one, but it's not bad.

Yeah, I think original Cuno can't be beaten but I find this to be an acceptable alternative. Plus the slightly less intense delivery is probably more appropriate to listen to for extended periods of time.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame that all the skills have the same voice, I agree, but I do really like the voice actor they've chosen at least. It sounds great

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
While it would of been great if the voice actor they got to voice half a million lines of dialogue in a free update could also do 24 unique funny voices, I think it's reasonable that's not the case and probably for the best for the voice actors health, both physical and mental.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You could have maybe maybe done 4 sub voices for blue/purple/yellow/red skills. But even that would be pushing it. Better to let the actor do what he's good at

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Eason the Fifth posted:

2nd only to CDPR in self-hype

wiegieman posted:

Is it hype if it's true?

Disco is better than anything China's done recently, checks out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I like Rene, Gascon and Cuno's new voice but... the internal thoughts all being the same is disappointing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

While it would of been great if the voice actor they got to voice half a million lines of dialogue in a free update could also do 24 unique funny voices, I think it's reasonable that's not the case and probably for the best for the voice actors health, both physical and mental.

I think people were mostly expecting the actor to have different feelings/moods/affects and maybe effects overlayed. Not genuinely different voices. Any skilled voice actor should be able to cover that range pretty easily I would think?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The new Cuno does sound good! I hope it's not too jarring when we get to the really iconic lines like "gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?!" but yeah, this should be all right. But I still don't know if they kept Klaasje's VA... :ohdear:

quote:

The horrific necktie is voiced by the same person as the reptilian brain and limbic system, Mikee Goodman, which chatter away while you sleep.

Yesssssss :dance:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

I think people were mostly expecting the actor to have different feelings/moods/affects and maybe effects overlayed. Not genuinely different voices. Any skilled voice actor should be able to cover that range pretty easily I would think?

Or at least contextual direction. Instead of "Oh poo poo, a bunch of people are watching this kid yell at us, we should get out of here." being said like you are having a maudlin moment of deja vu on a pier.

EDIT : Again, the scope, especially during COVID times especially is still huge. And I hope this lets a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't enjoy the game to enjoy it.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 19, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

My hot take is that I actually like the idea all the skills technically being one voice, due to them being voices inside the main character's head and all being in the same part of the main character's brain: POSTERIOR NEOCORTEX. Like how the limbic system has a different voice from ancient reptilian brain, being different parts of the main character's body.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Samovar posted:

I like Rene, Gascon and Cuno's new voice but... the internal thoughts all being the same is disappointing.

Shivers is the worst offender imo

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

wait, hum. since it's under the umbrella of Shivers, is he also gonna voice La Revacholiere?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

New music on the YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBFLAQpnSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2hUbafQCII

And new character art I guess?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

World War Mammories posted:

wait, hum. since it's under the umbrella of Shivers, is he also gonna voice La Revacholiere?

It would be pretty cool if La Revacholiere ends up having a surprise new voice in that moment, after you just got used to Shivers sounding the same as everyone else in your head all game.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Soysaucebeast posted:

I actually like it, and how the skills interact with each other with different tones of voice to contrast them! Also Shivers getting fully read out is gonna make me max Shivers again.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Eh yeah I rewatched it and only Volition has any sort of emotional register in its voice. That's weird.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yeah I like the OG Cuno too (which you can switch back to if you want anyway) but the recording quality of the original was kinda rough and this sounds a lot better in that respect.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 20, 2021

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

UP AND ADAM posted:

Eh yeah I rewatched it and only Volition has any sort of emotional register in its voice. That's weird.

reaction speed is definitely a bit quicker, a bit more upbeat. it's subtle, maybe a bit too subtle, but it's there

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

oscarthewilde posted:

reaction speed is definitely a bit quicker, a bit more upbeat. it's subtle, maybe a bit too subtle, but it's there

A re-watch does bring forth more difference than I heard on my first. We'll see. Maybe just the matter of factness of Shivers, and the fact that The Detective always seemed faaaaar more strung out and bloodshot at heart to me skews my opinion. Half-light is less manic than I'd read it, but is a bit nasty and feral and this is only a short clip. A clip of gun-related lines would be really telling.

And, barring it being awful, just accessibility (and a little bit of making it more streamable so more people can get an idea of the game) is a worthy cause of some comprimise. Especially as there is an option to use the original (for PC at least?)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoGlE4G8DyE

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

you better believe I'll be doing my own True Cuno impression along with the new voice actor's lines

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Just imagini g the narrator reading out the entire amount of variables for that dnd game.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Thinking really hard about the voice overs for Half Light agreeing with Hand/Eye Coordination and Physical Instrument's plan to get your gun back as well as uttering the POWER WORDS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

isn’t the charm of this game that different skills seem like entirely different characters, having the same voice more than a little undercuts that

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Refused classification in Australia? gently caress. My understanding is that Steam workarounds to access banned games are a lot harder now than they were back when you could just use a VPN. Anyone have better info on how to get around these kind of bans other than pirating, which I'd prefer not to do but will do if there's no way for me to play the Final Cut?

Edit: I notice someone above saying if you already owned the game it should be fine as an update, but I'm not so sure.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 20, 2021

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

If you already own it on Steam then it's not going anywhere, the final cut is a patch not a separate product. If you don't already own it just buy it now before it gets pulled in your region. If it gets pulled in your region you can always just buy a key off a 3rd party site and register it anyway (humble, gog whatever).

If you want the console version just import the disc or buy it on the UK / US PSN store.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Neurosis posted:

Refused classification in Australia? gently caress.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

Someone asked this to the devs on Discord and their response amounted to "You'll have to wait and see"

Regarding different deliveries for each skill it is somewhat disappointing but coming up with 24 different character voices would be a massive challenge for any voice actor, let alone a jazz musician, so I can sort of let that slide.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 20, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

On one hand I agree that in the original it felt that the character traits were more like separate party members that you got to choose to "take" with you and give more importance to by leveling them up and now having the same voice for all of them makes this concept kinda disappear.

On the other hand...it also felt ok in the video, more like a narrator reading a book, less depth to the premise but still felt enjoyable so I don't see this as a huge problem.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Having all inner monologue sound almost the same suits Harry well.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I will reserve judgement until I experience it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok, I think I know what was bugging me about it - it just doesn't sound like Harry's inner monologue voice at all. It's a book narrator, a nice book narrator for sure but it's an outer voice, of an observer from the outside, a semi-neutral being. That's why the explaination about the posterior neocortex sounds so silly because that's not what impression it makes.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Vegetable posted:

isn’t the charm of this game that different skills seem like entirely different characters, having the same voice more than a little undercuts that

especially inland empire or the reflex skills vs the thinkign ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I actually kinda like the idea that the skills are all the same style of voice because, while you're right that in the original they felt like separate characters, when I was done with my first DE playthrough, I really felt like my Harry was THE Harry. I felt like I had just spent a week with a fully-fleshed out person. And part of that was that every skill check I passed (or failed!) added to the totality of My Harry. So, I kind of like that you're building a composite Harry that's all your own and that this is one person wrestling with all these impulses. Having one voice really makes it feel like one man navigating himself.

Would I have liked 24 different skill voices, sure! But, I am also open to the way they're doing it.

Besides, this will be my 4th playthrough and I'm actually planning on slowing down and re-ingesting all the great writing. On my third, I was just click-click-clicking through quickly to get to the parts I hadn't seen before, this time I want to really slow it down. It sounds very Cringe Gamer, but I am really obsessed with Disco Elysium as "a text" and I'm looking forward to luxuriating in it some more.