Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it occuring over other sounds or is it just in the background? Aside from the occasional explosion I find white noise or basically any sound or distraction mitigates it fairly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

OwlFancier posted:

Is it occuring over other sounds or is it just in the background? Aside from the occasional explosion I find white noise or basically any sound or distraction mitigates it fairly well.
it is just background for now, I assume it's temporary since I'm doing all the drops/ibuprofen for it and it did only come after a decent period of pain.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
and just to avoid any doubt, transphobia sucks, bi erasure sucks, anything else that has been mentioned to suck that i don't remember indeed sucks, vitamin p is scum and shouldn't be posting his scummy low-quality attempts at trolling here anymore

e: oh yeah, tinnitus sucks - i've got a fairly benign coming-and-going kind of tinnitus and even that can drive one up the loving wall

nurmie fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 20, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i'm not good at reading at the best of times tbh, all of this probably hasn't been helped with my ear ache turning into tinnitus for the past 2 days which I do not recommend to anyone!
Oh sweet jesus yes, you have my sympathy.

Owl makes a good point, putting some other noise like music or a fan or the washing machine on might help, especially music - the director Edgar Wright based the main character in Baby Driver on his own youth with in-ear headphones plugged in constantly to relieve tinnitus.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 20, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if it will work for you but I find putting a fan on in the background helps a lot for sleeping as the hum is less annoying than the screaming. Obviously if it's a temporary thing though it might be different because mine's congential so I assume you eventually get better at tuning it out over the years.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh sweet jesus yes, you have my sympathy.

Owl makes a good point, putting some other noise like music or a fan or the washing machine on might help - the director Edgar Wright based the main character in Baby Driver on his own youth with in ear headphones plugged in constantly to relieve tinnitus.

the music is doing well currently for sure but honestly I never realised how much I quite like silence.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know if it will work for you but I find putting a fan on in the background helps a lot for sleeping as the hum is less annoying than the screaming. Obviously if it's a temporary thing though it might be different because mine's congential so I assume you eventually get better at tuning it out over the years.

I hadn't thought of a fan but that does sound like a good fix for sleeping atleast, I'm only assuming it's temporary since it's only in the one ear.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Who was that poster who wanted to fight in the car park behind ASDA.

Lord Adonis

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ByRobDavies/status/1372942758785212425?s=19

Lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fans are very good and you can apparently buy white noise machines for your pillow too, I also enjoy the youtube channels with thunderstorm ambience occasionally, and they may be better if you find artificial noises annoying. Frankly I think they're nice to sleep with just generally.

As far as I understand it unless it's related to permanent hearing loss it's usually temporary, as that kind I think is normally caused by pressure or whatever in your ear causing erroneous nerve impulses and should hopefully fade as the irritation goes away.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There's an android app called Atmosphere you can use to generate background noise and they have all kinds of looped sounds on there. My favourite is campfire & Tibetan bowls, but my wife has a preset called 'wet pigeons' which is just rain, thunder & pigeons.

If you connect your phone to a halfway decent speaker they also have binaural noise, if you're into that.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Alexa has a bunch of passive ambience presets, my favourite is the star trek bridge one with all the little background bleeps and idling console noises

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the music is doing well currently for sure but honestly I never realised how much I quite like silence.

I hadn't thought of a fan but that does sound like a good fix for sleeping atleast, I'm only assuming it's temporary since it's only in the one ear.

I developed tinnitus in my left ear after a bad head cold about three years ago, it has been constant since. You can mentally block it out with any kind of background noise/distraction but drat I do miss silence :smith:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Tinnitus is a bastard. Mine has lasted for like ten years without noticeable hearing loss, though in my case it was due to spending most of a week's holiday listening to music on full blast in order to hear it over train engines so, so long as you haven't done that it's probably not as permanent as my bad decisions led mine to be. also don't do that. nobody do that. and everyone get some good earplugs and wear them at gigs.

background noise helps, and finding ways to distract yourself also helps. it's one of those hosed up vicious cycle mental things where if you think about it too hard you notice it more and then you get anxious and anxiety makes it worse and so on. i've got a lot of complaints for this god fellow on the design decisions he made, i'll tell you that much

also now i have the phrase "wet pigeons" in my brain so thanks a lot for that

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Kegluneq posted:

I developed tinnitus in my left ear after a bad head cold about three years ago, it has been constant since. You can mentally block it out with any kind of background noise/distraction but drat I do miss silence :smith:

goondolences friend :smith:

Angepain posted:

Tinnitus is a bastard. Mine has lasted for like ten years without noticeable hearing loss, though in my case it was due to spending most of a week's holiday listening to music on full blast in order to hear it over train engines so, so long as you haven't done that it's probably not as permanent as my bad decisions led mine to be. also don't do that. nobody do that. and everyone get some good earplugs and wear them at gigs.

The funniest part is the fact I have always been careful to play stuff quiet in my headphones and I only went to like 2-3 festivals in the past and not even paticularly close to the stage, it's very hosed up.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Constant tinnitus is a feature of my deafness but it's usually pretty low level and hearing aids drown it out. Apparently it's also common for cochlear implant recipients to get it, and have it only go away while the processor is switched on. (Still don't have a date for my surgery but hopefully soon)

I used to get spooky repetitive sequences of different pitched notes playing as tinnitus when I was a kid. Now it's just boring rustling or ringing :(

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angepain posted:

also now i have the phrase "wet pigeons" in my brain so thanks a lot for that
I can only assume it's an ASMR thing because at least campfire & Tibetan bells makes sense as a sleep scene.

She was going to name it 'pigeons & rain' but ran out of space. Now some nights I lie awake wondering if the pigeons are ok in this imagined scene.

One must imagine the wet pigeons happy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose it at least solves the mystery of where the wet eggs come from.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Actually it was lieutenant commander Adonis

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose it at least solves the mystery of where the wet eggs come from.

Starmer breeds wet pigeons.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I've been making a lot of pigeons wet just recently.

They've been roosting on the pipes outside our bathroom window so I've been squirting them with a ketchup bottle full of water (surprising what range you can get with one of those bottles). Trying to make it a Hostile Environment.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lord of the Llamas I have a political cartoon for you to enjoy

Shouldn't 'Megalomaniacs' surround all of them? EDIT: Wait. "The shape of thing to come-how we should do government." But....Wait, what are we saying here?(Honest question: I'm kind of dumb on these things.) They're already all megalomaniacs. That's the first step of politics-you have to REALLY want the feeling of power to deal with the everything else involved.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 20, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The circles look like a caricature of Cummings, the joke is he thinks he should be in charge and is also all of those things

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Okay so the rundown of the incident in NIP the best I can remember.

Someone with access to the NIP twitter account posted an unhinged post basically saying that no racist movements had ever come from the north, this led to obviously a bunch people pointing out the contrary and some people advertising their specific fash group. This was then taken down and a new post stating the the northern independence party was against racists and facism in all its forms and apologised for giving a platform for people to talk about fascism in the north. Which almost everyone thought was fine except the leader who demanded it be taken down as it was displayed a new policy which hadn't been agreed and he disagreed with, in his experience no platforming doesn't work.
This was followed by the slack admins cutting short any protest, and when I mentioned in has only joined the party because I was reassured by the party secretary that the party was actively in favour of trans rights and actively opposed to TERFs in any state and it was concerning that the leadership would be willing to debate my existence when it came down to it I was suspended from the slack for what was supposed to be 24 hours but 36 hours later I had to ask to be re added.

So in the meantime the parties inclusion and diversity officer an non-binary woman of Jewish heritage tried to protest this action and was also suspended from the slack and from the party and had the slack admin and complaints committee head abusing her. Her husband the party secretary was also removed from all leadership channels and had his slack privileges revoke (though they kept his payment details on the hosting service the parties site used).
In after this given they had no reply to any attempted contact from the leadership, the ex I&D lead posted about it on twitter, and I came and posted about it here both of which got the same response of oh you're just making poo poo up because you are angry for some reason, though in her case the abuse continued.
Then that started to the general response to me when I posted about anything here, and then the exact same response when I finally got admitted back into the slack.
And even when the party approved a statement condemning fascism and transphobia no mention of it was made on the twitter feed or any public facing page. And when I asked about that and kept asking the parties deputy leader who was trans herself tried to use a post they had made a month before the membership had opened saying trans rights are human rights (a completely useless statement of faux support but that's for another rant) and her existance as deputy leader as proof that they had public condemned transphobia, and even tried to used the conversation between me and the secretary (who was still out in the cold) to back that up.
So I quit the party since it was obvious they were no different than every other party on this most important issue for me, (they didn't cancel my membership payment until after they took another month from me) and in another labour echo the complaints and internal affairs team decided that although things weren't handled at all right during this situation they were going to keep everything as it was.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

So I keep seeing this shared on Twitter and correct me if I’m wrong, but this is literally just that these companies are claiming money to pay furloughed workers rather than firing them, entirely as the scheme is intended?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That sounds like exactly the sort of behaviour I would expect from, like, basically all political parties tbh and just reinforces my dislike of the drat things. lovely people out for their own lovely enrichment or empowerment and trading off everyone else for credibility.

Appreciate you filling in the details Rumda cos that sounds shite and good to know I should keep them at arms length.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Rumda posted:

Someone with access to the NIP twitter account posted an unhinged post basically saying that no racist movements had ever come from the north, this led to obviously a bunch people pointing out the contrary and some people advertising their specific fash group. This was then taken down and a new post stating the the northern independence party was against racists and facism in all its forms and apologised for giving a platform for people to talk about fascism in the north. Which almost everyone thought was fine except the leader who demanded it be taken down as it was displayed a new policy which hadn't been agreed and he disagreed with, in his experience no platforming doesn't work.
This was followed by the slack admins cutting short any protest, and when I mentioned in has only joined the party because I was reassured by the party secretary that the party was actively in favour of trans rights and actively opposed to TERFs in any state and it was concerning that the leadership would be willing to debate my existence when it came down to it I was suspended from the slack for what was supposed to be 24 hours but 36 hours later I had to ask to be re added.

So in the meantime the parties inclusion and diversity officer an non-binary woman of Jewish heritage tried to protest this action and was also suspended from the slack and from the party and had the slack admin and complaints committee head abusing her. Her husband the party secretary was also removed from all leadership channels and had his slack privileges revoke (though they kept his payment details on the hosting service the parties site used).
In after this given they had no reply to any attempted contact from the leadership, the ex I&D lead posted about it on twitter, and I came and posted about it here both of which got the same response of oh you're just making poo poo up because you are angry for some reason, though in her case the abuse continued.
Then that started to the general response to me when I posted about anything here, and then the exact same response when I finally got admitted back into the slack.
And even when the party approved a statement condemning fascism and transphobia no mention of it was made on the twitter feed or any public facing page. And when I asked about that and kept asking the parties deputy leader who was trans herself tried to use a post they had made a month before the membership had opened saying trans rights are human rights (a completely useless statement of faux support but that's for another rant) and her existance as deputy leader as proof that they had public condemned transphobia, and even tried to used the conversation between me and the secretary (who was still out in the cold) to back that up.
So I quit the party since it was obvious they were no different than every other party on this most important issue for me, (they didn't cancel my membership payment until after they took another month from me) and in another labour echo the complaints and internal affairs team decided that although things weren't handled at all right during this situation they were going to keep everything as it was.

oof, that sucks. I saw your original description of what happened which covered the earlier stuff, and it seems there's something wrong with their management and internal democracy if they can admit fault but also decide not to take any action.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Rumda posted:

sorry to hear about this, it is really lovely to hear from something I thought was really promising.

thanks for giving the full details though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ItohRespectArmy posted:

sorry to hear about this, it is really lovely to hear from something I thought was really promising.

thanks for giving the full details though.

Some of the details might be wrong it's been three or four months since it happened but the gist is right

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've had vit p on ignore for a long time but it's all of you who I don't have on ignore who've finally convinced me the thread isn't worth reading any more.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Noxville posted:

So I keep seeing this shared on Twitter and correct me if I’m wrong, but this is literally just that these companies are claiming money to pay furloughed workers rather than firing them, entirely as the scheme is intended?

Yes. The criticisms voiced in that article are that it was profligate spending we couldn't afford and rather than furlough being universal it should have been limited and more targeted, that FOREIGN billionaires should have picked up the tab for their employees (because we all know they would do that ahem)

quote:

The shadow chancellor, Anneliese Dodds, said: “Labour called from the outset of this crisis for targeted wage support to protect jobs and businesses, but the chancellor refused to listen.

“Now it seems that overseas billionaires have also used the scheme without any such restrictions on its use.

“The mask is slipping with this chancellor. Instead of doing all he can to protect jobs and livelihoods, he’s wasting billions of pounds of public money, cutting pay for our NHS heroes and hitting families across the country with tax hikes and pay freezes.”

Labour MP and tax campaigner Margaret Hodge said: “It’s irresponsible scattering public money like confetti.

“The government are resisting giving free school meals to children and an appropriate pay rise for nurses. In that context, that seems obscene.”

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Rumda posted:

Some of the details might be wrong it's been three or four months since it happened but the gist is right

yeah I don't expect anyone to try and grill you over the minor details regardless, the outline is bad enough as is.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That really doesn't sound great. Even giving the head of the party the benefit of doubt, they are at the very least setting themselves up for the kind of mid-level bureaucracy that enables the silencing of the voices they should really be listening to.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

"We don't believe in no-platforming, anyone who disagrees is banned"

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

What are the practical things that can be changed about a situation like that? And for someone whon is trans who do you even consider when its tine to vote.

Speaking as someone aware of their own privilege, it must suck to not have an alternative or anyone speaking out in the political sphere

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bump_fn posted:

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1372844041113542657

when we did this poo poo in america after 9/11 it was dumb as poo poo glad to see it’s coming back here

Not quite as bad as not wearing a poppy when he should be, but starting to go that way.

Rumda posted:

Man, that's such bullshit and I'm really sorry that happened to you. Thanks for posting it.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 20, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

The Saviour posted:

What are the practical things that can be changed about a situation like that? And for someone whon is trans who do you even consider when its tine to vote.

Speaking as someone aware of their own privilege, it must suck to not have an alternative or anyone speaking out in the political sphere

Why not stand as an independent? You got to wonder how many normal decent people could have stood for the seat as an independent and won if they went against some of the obvious gopping horror shows the Tory party puts up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately a lot of people seem to like the tories and even more only vote along party lines.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

The Saviour posted:

I honestly don't know if I had more spoons and resources setting up an explicitly trans positive party might be an idea, but right now I'm so far from having enough of either to be able to get by day to day

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

That sounds like exactly the sort of behaviour I would expect from, like, basically all political parties tbh and just reinforces my dislike of the drat things. lovely people out for their own lovely enrichment or empowerment and trading off everyone else for credibility.

Appreciate you filling in the details Rumda cos that sounds shite and good to know I should keep them at arms length.

On one hand, yeah, don't touch them. On the other... well that's another party we can't vote for. I mean I can vote Plaid but they're never going to be able to achieve anything, they're useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Rumda posted:

Cheers for writing this out! Sounds very poo poo indeed