Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

a version of google maps that works the way it did in iOS 3 or 4 is probably the most enticing android feature I’ve heard of in years. of course they hide it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/staida2019/status/1358839412428259335

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have a feeling that it's not an official google account, particularly because of no emblems by their name

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

after making all that noise the terraria dev immediately buckled and released it on stadia anyway lol

https://www.polygon.com/2021/3/18/22338396/terraria-google-stadia-developer-twitter-ultimatum

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Why the gently caress does the messages app ask me to rate and recommend THE MESSAGES APP on the gddm app store?

It's a MESSAGES APP. Shouldn't it already be on most people's phones? Or a samsung reskinned version?

Does anyone with an iphone get notified by iMessages to rate and recommend iMessages?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

sb hermit posted:

I have a feeling that it's not an official google account, particularly because of no emblems by their name

the misspelling might be a hint too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i love the staida game platform!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

sb hermit posted:

Why the gently caress does the messages app ask me to rate and recommend THE MESSAGES APP on the gddm app store?

It's a MESSAGES APP. Shouldn't it already be on most people's phones? Or a samsung reskinned version?

Does anyone with an iphone get notified by iMessages to rate and recommend iMessages?

lmfao

anroid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Give it zero stars. The stock google text message app can't handle group texts.

I spent five bucks on an app called Textra that is much better.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

love the car phone though

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

repiv posted:

after making all that noise the terraria dev immediately buckled and released it on stadia anyway lol

https://www.polygon.com/2021/3/18/22338396/terraria-google-stadia-developer-twitter-ultimatum

I'd like to imagine he got choke-slammed by google's legal team for trying to back out of a contract rather than caving in exchange for a free stadia t-shirt and keychain

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Clark Nova posted:

I'd like to imagine he got choke-slammed by google's legal team for trying to back out of a contract rather than caving in exchange for a free stadia t-shirt and keychain

i don't think either happened, i think it was all performative to make sure google unblocked his accounts because changing everything, including youtube, would be a bitch

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all of which is fine. well worth complaining publicly about, but getting paid is getting paid

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mediaphage posted:

i don't think either happened, i think it was all performative to make sure google unblocked his accounts because changing everything, including youtube, would be a bitch

that isn’t performative, it’s just simple negotiating. no account, no game. seems pretty simple.

hopefully he got some money out of it too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

that isn’t performative, it’s just simple negotiating. no account, no game. seems pretty simple.

hopefully he got some money out of it too

i guess? but negotiation is something between the two parties, this was a performance to generate publicity for the negotiation

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mediaphage posted:

i guess? but negotiation is something between the two parties, this was a performance to generate publicity for the negotiation

that’s a common negotiating tactic. generating bad press for companies sensitive to it is leverage

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Management posted:

that’s a common negotiating tactic. generating bad press for companies sensitive to it is leverage

no poo poo? none of this means that the action isn't performative, which is typically perceived as an action designed to bolster image

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sagebrush posted:

google will simply delete your negative rating for "review-bombing"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

~Coxy posted:

google will simply delete your negative rating for "review-bombing"

or in that case simply being factually incorrect

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the entire idea of having to buy a replacement text or dialer app is absurd when this is the primary function of a phone

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I would be ok with it if it stopped any and all spam calls about home energy rebates or car warranty expiration notices

I would almost be willing to keep my pixel 3a over getting an iphone se once my contract expires because of the call screen thing.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I know that replacing the dialer app does not replace whatever component answers phone calls but I really despise spam calls.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
modularity absurdism

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sb hermit posted:

I would almost be willing to keep my pixel 3a over getting an iphone se once my contract expires because of the call screen thing.

i dunno if you take a lot of unknown calls but now ios has a feature that mutes any number not in your contact list

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mediaphage posted:

i dunno if you take a lot of unknown calls but now ios has a feature that mutes any number not in your contact list

Serious talk. Is this in the options that you can set in the settings app? (because ios keeps many app settings in the settings app.) My dad had dozens upon dozens of blocked numbers due to spam and we had to clear all of it because no one could reach him. Simply keeping the unknown calls silent would help a lot more.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sb hermit posted:

Serious talk. Is this in the options that you can set in the settings app? (because ios keeps many app settings in the settings app.) My dad had dozens upon dozens of blocked numbers due to spam and we had to clear all of it because no one could reach him. Simply keeping the unknown calls silent would help a lot more.

yes. settings —> phone

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mediaphage posted:

yes. settings —> phone

Thank you. Gonna have to configure this on my parents' phones when I see them next.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
lg is apparently considering just shutting down their smartphone division after being unable to negotiate sales to vingroup and, uh, volkswagen

alas, the world may never know the joys of a rollable phone

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

lg is apparently considering just shutting down their smartphone division after being unable to negotiate sales to vingroup and, uh, volkswagen

unlucky goldstar

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat, dypers are gonna be really upset that the last bastion of non-poorphones with SD cards is dead

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Kins posted:

Literal Garbage

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

They broke the system webview app, so a bunch of apps that use it like gmail just crash now

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

brand engager posted:

They broke the system webview app, so a bunch of apps that use it like gmail just crash now
lol my girlfriend had this issue this morning all of a sudden... but she went and updated and it’s already fixed so :shrug:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the ms teams app on android has the worst notification handling i've ever seen. you can have the app open to a specific conversation and you'll STILL get a notification every single time someone messages in chat it's obscene. like surely they'd go "ok the dude already has the app open so they're seeing the messages so we should suppress notifications" but apparently that's too hard/they're too dumb/anroid

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the ms teams app on android

that's gonna be a no from me

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Pile Of Garbage posted:

like surely they'd go "ok the dude already has the app open so they're seeing the messages so we should suppress notifications" but apparently that's too hard/they're too dumb/anroid

i don't have that issue of notifications when the app is open but having the default behavior be "push all replies on a thread you replies in as notifications" is the most annoying poo poo, and they do it on all platforms. I have to mute every thread I'm in unless someone actually at replies, or else I get a flood of useless notifications.

teams, it's poo poo!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
had to manually update my telephone applications to fix this broken web view poo poo smdh

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

i don't have that issue of notifications when the app is open but having the default behavior be "push all replies on a thread you replies in as notifications" is the most annoying poo poo, and they do it on all platforms. I have to mute every thread I'm in unless someone actually at replies, or else I get a flood of useless notifications.

teams, it's poo poo!

i ended up disabling all notifications from the apps except for calls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the ms teams app on android has the worst notification handling i've ever seen. you can have the app open to a specific conversation and you'll STILL get a notification every single time someone messages in chat it's obscene. like surely they'd go "ok the dude already has the app open so they're seeing the messages so we should suppress notifications" but apparently that's too hard/they're too dumb/anroid

teams notifications are terrible across the board. on windows you can either have it harrass you with banners or not get any notification at all