Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
And while its not a lot what scarlet grace does have i would say is charming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

it got patched

yesss. tyvm.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I have been thoroughly owned. I recently read an LP of SaGa Frontier 2 and I absolutely adored the story and lore (especially the framing device) which is what prompted me to have an interest in the series. I knew the other games were a lot different, but I didn't know story was such a minor component of the series in general

What about SaGa Frontier 1? Same deal?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
SaGa Frontier 1 has some of the most distinct routes in a SaGa game, though the amount of story each character gets sort of varies by who it is. Lute's deliberately the character with the least amount of connective narrative tissue; it *exists* but he's more or less the free-form scenario. The Remaster will be adding Fuse who's looking to have a bunch of "what if" scenarios for the other characters after you've already completed their stories, which would be kind of in keeping with what's in the Ultimania.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The amount of story is like Red = Asellus > Riki = Emelia = T260G > Blue > Lute, iirc

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I thought T260 had a bit more of an involved storyline, comparable to Aselus and Red, but I might be misremembering.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I thought T260 had a bit more of an involved storyline, comparable to Aselus and Red, but I might be misremembering.

It's been a while since I've played SGF and not started Blue's storyline, hosed up Tanzer, and quit for another few months, ngl

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

T260G's storyline has a decent bit to it but Red and Asellus are pretty constant in their activity. I guess Riku's is too due to all the rings but Riku's story is just awful.

Meanwhile Red goes full Super Sentai and Asellus has multiple endings on top of her fairly active storyline.

Leraika posted:

It's been a while since I've played SGF and not started Blue's storyline, hosed up Tanzer, and quit for another few months, ngl

Well if you hate Tanzer I have good news for you: Blue can skip the dungeon entirely but still get the rune because the magic map works inside Tanzer and the rune is apparently treated as "collected" by the game the instant you end up inside Tanzer, so you just immediately map out and it counts that rune as done. You miss out on characters and loot though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

T260G's storyline has a decent bit to it but Red and Asellus are pretty constant in their activity. I guess Riku's is too due to all the rings but Riku's story is just awful.

Meanwhile Red goes full Super Sentai and Asellus has multiple endings on top of her fairly active storyline.

Well if you hate Tanzer I have good news for you: Blue can skip the dungeon entirely but still get the rune because the magic map works inside Tanzer and the rune is apparently treated as "collected" by the game the instant you end up inside Tanzer, so you just immediately map out and it counts that rune as done. You miss out on characters and loot though.

Yeah, that's what I mean by messing up Tanzer. It didn't count it for me, as far as I could tell.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hogama posted:

SaGa Frontier 1 has some of the most distinct routes in a SaGa game, though the amount of story each character gets sort of varies by who it is. Lute's deliberately the character with the least amount of connective narrative tissue; it *exists* but he's more or less the free-form scenario. The Remaster will be adding Fuse who's looking to have a bunch of "what if" scenarios for the other characters after you've already completed their stories, which would be kind of in keeping with what's in the Ultimania.
Can't you go straight from getting control with Lute to the final boss?

You'll loving die, but like, the entire Lute thing is doing side stuff to get more party members and beef up so you can actually win.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I was going to play a Romancing game on Steam once but reading about the sheer level of complexity made my brain leak out of my ears. I've beaten loads of JRPGs and CRPGs but hearing about the multiple origins, mutually-exclusive characters, FF2 leveling, invisible event-flags, and vague critical path makes my head spin.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

For most Saga games the less you know about the underlying mechanics of how the game world works the better off you’ll be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I was going to play a Romancing game on Steam once but reading about the sheer level of complexity made my brain leak out of my ears. I've beaten loads of JRPGs and CRPGs but hearing about the multiple origins, mutually-exclusive characters, FF2 leveling, invisible event-flags, and vague critical path makes my head spin.

i was going to eat a hamburger, but reading about the complexity of valdemar ii's burning of the county of hamburg in 1201 and 1214 made my brain leak out of my ears.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The systems are usually much more intricate than you ever need to know to do well enough to play. I think there might be a handful of games where it's difficult enough you should know at least a bit about what you're doing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, SaGa games have a lot of mechanics but like I managed to beat everyone's story in SaGa Frontier when I was 13 and didn't know poo poo about the underlying mechanics. They all have a bunch of complex systems under the hood but you really don't need to know every little thing about their inner workings to just have fun with the games.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zereth posted:

Can't you go straight from getting control with Lute to the final boss?

You'll loving die, but like, the entire Lute thing is doing side stuff to get more party members and beef up so you can actually win.
Sure can. All I really meant was "Lute has a reason to fight his final boss but that's pretty much it" as opposed to the rest of the cast having some story reasons to visit the worlds besides side-questing.

The conceit of SaGa is generally more about learning new systems through experience rather than having an intuitive grasp from the start. You're meant to experiment and either play multiple times and try new things or at least just have a single playthrough that's "unique." Getting a "perfect" playthrough on your first go-around isn't really the idea (and may be impossible anyway, depending on the game).

Kawazu loves tabletop games and had to translate a lot of the ones he played from English, and he's listed his favorite video game as Ultima IV.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm looking for a JRPG recommendation. I played a good chunk of Ys 8 and really loved the exploration/basebuilding/gear upgrading part of it, are there any other JRPGs/falcom-style action RPGs that do something similar?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can play most of Saga Frontier 2 without knowing anything then the final dungeon will gently caress you over and you'll never finish it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m bummed the LP isn’t in the archives from what I can tell, what’s the endgame’s gimmick? Something about the boss and/or dungeon punishing you super badly for sleeping on a mechanic that isn’t well explained?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

I'm looking for a JRPG recommendation. I played a good chunk of Ys 8 and really loved the exploration/basebuilding/gear upgrading part of it, are there any other JRPGs/falcom-style action RPGs that do something similar?
dark cloud 2?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I’m bummed the LP isn’t in the archives from what I can tell, what’s the endgame’s gimmick? Something about the boss and/or dungeon punishing you super badly for sleeping on a mechanic that isn’t well explained?
The final boss is a hefty step above the rest of the game and once you're in the last dungeon you can't really grind yourself up if you find yourself unprepared, but the only way out is loading an older save or... starting the game over, if you were unwise with saves.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hogama posted:

The final boss is a hefty step above the rest of the game and once you're in the last dungeon you can't really grind yourself up if you find yourself unprepared, but the only way out is loading an older save or... starting the game over, if you were unwise with saves.

Sounds like the bullshit postgame of Octopath.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Elswyyr posted:

Ni no Kuni 2 is a real-time ARPG with exploration & basebuilding, but it's nowhere near as good as Ys 8

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

SaGa final bosses tend to be pretty challenging with multiple forms and difficulty variations based on the player's actions through the game (or if you're lucky, action in the final dungeon).

Sounds like the bullshit postgame of Octopath.

Yeah, that thing is very in line with SaGa final bosses, right down to the boss rush, but SaGa games are a little bit more fair since they don't require you to have, like, secret classes mastered and completely broken set ups to complete.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I remember SaGa Frontier having a pretty smooth difficulty curve for most characters' stories as long as you do some side quests along the way, at least. If anyone here is thinking of getting the remaster, I'd say it's one of the more approachable games in the series. I managed to wrap my brain around it as an idiot kid, at least.

There are some "tricks" (like the way you get some characters in the party the gift for one type of magic, and others the gift for the other, or how you unlock the DSC move for your fistfighters) but nothing too wild I don't think.

Same goes for Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song. That one has the whole "Event Rank" system for determining what enemies you face and what side quests are available, but you can safely ignore that for your first couple playthroughs until you want to start finding some of the more obscure side quests.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the gameboy saga games are honestly very easy to grasp and have some fun writing, though it's a question of whether you're okay with the writing being more weird vignettes than a continuous story. but saga 1 has a part where a king's aide assassinates him so you chase him down into a cellar and he's like "wait! d-don't kill me! i can give you anything you want!!!" and one of your party members just says "i hate people like you. die." and he turns into a loving gravestone

if you interact with the gravestone afterwards, one of your party members just says "Dead."

also the wonderswan color remake of saga 1 has a decent tl and some good qol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Colonel posted:

but saga 1 has a part where a king's aide assassinates him so you chase him down into a cellar and he's like "wait! d-don't kill me! i can give you anything you want!!!" and one of your party members just says "i hate people like you. die." and he turns into a loving gravestone

if you interact with the gravestone afterwards, one of your party members just says "Dead."

this sounds like it absolutely rules

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Harrow posted:

I remember SaGa Frontier having a pretty smooth difficulty curve for most characters' stories as long as you do some side quests along the way, at least. If anyone here is thinking of getting the remaster, I'd say it's one of the more approachable games in the series. I managed to wrap my brain around it as an idiot kid, at least.

There are some "tricks" (like the way you get some characters in the party the gift for one type of magic, and others the gift for the other, or how you unlock the DSC move for your fistfighters) but nothing too wild I don't think.

Same goes for Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song. That one has the whole "Event Rank" system for determining what enemies you face and what side quests are available, but you can safely ignore that for your first couple playthroughs until you want to start finding some of the more obscure side quests.

Is Minstrel Song worth playing still? I've only played the Frontiers and some of Scarlet Grace but love all the Saga trappings.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is Minstrel Song worth playing still? I've only played the Frontiers and some of Scarlet Grace but love all the Saga trappings.
If you can get used to the artstyle (I love the colors and effects even if the proportions are a little goofy) it's a pretty entertaining package with a great ost.
It's got a pretty decent power curve for the normal game - don't fret hotswapping characters too much, it's not a heavy investment to make anybody competent (on-level fights will catch new additions up pretty swiftly), and you can always re-recruit the other main characters at minimum (there's nameless mercenaries who will disappear from recruitment after a certain point but you'd only keep them to endgame for a personal challenge run anyway). There are some hard fights including the final boss but you generally can't get stuck without a way to get stronger and you have to go out of your way to make the final boss harder.
Jobs and spellcasting are a bit weird but it's fine to go with the flow.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Chaotic Flame posted:

It suffers from that problem a lot of PS2 JRPGs did where it was their first excursion into full 3D, so the environments are like three times as large as they need to be and your character moves really slow, which is particularly annoying in an Open World game where you're looking for things to do (I suppose it's more tolerable if you're playing it on an emulator you can speed up, which I guess is something you can do on PS2 emulators?).

It's a neat game and worth playing though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade had the good sense to allow fast-travel from the get-go due its enormous world. Which RPGs from the same era didn't?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
let's talk about the original dragon's dogma

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

TurnipFritter posted:

It suffers from that problem a lot of PS2 JRPGs did where it was their first excursion into full 3D, so the environments are like three times as large as they need to be and your character moves really slow, which is particularly annoying in an Open World game where you're looking for things to do (I suppose it's more tolerable if you're playing it on an emulator you can speed up, which I guess is something you can do on PS2 emulators?).

It's a neat game and worth playing though.

Dragon's Dogma had zippo and FF12 had limited fast travel but you had to grind enemies for rareish drops to use it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tae posted:

let's talk about the original dragon's dogma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBlBPtQW6g

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've tried like 4 times to get into Dragon's Dogma starting all the way back with its initial release and I just find it dull and with some of the worst companion AI I've ever experienced. There's clearly something people love about it but I just can't seem to grasp it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Arzaac posted:

I'm still of the opinion that South Moundtop is fine, it's a bit of a puzzle but once you figure it out it's not that bad.

The final boss is worse, mostly just because there's no way to rest once you start that final scenario. Not too bad if you come prepared, but well, you need to come prepared. Keep backup saves.

I fuckin' love SF2 but South Moundtop isn't even really a puzzle to solve because even if you do everything correctly, RNG can still make you fail and that sucks. Really, the run up to the end of the game is uncommonly frustrating compared to the rest of it. I still go back and play it from time to time for fun but once I get close to the end it usually goes back on the shelf.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've tried like 4 times to get into Dragon's Dogma starting all the way back with its initial release and I just find it dull and with some of the worst companion AI I've ever experienced. There's clearly something people love about it but I just can't seem to grasp it.

It's sort of a late-bloomer in that it is quite dull at the start, but by the later parts of the game, the combat gets pretty wild and fun. The companion AI is interesting in that it can be trained by following your example. To this day I think there are pawns who players can borrow online who have reputations for being more useful because their AI has been trained to mimic useful behaviors.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Where would you be if your pawn didn't remind you that wolves mislike fire?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
yeah my pawns are all useless because they all frequently stop fighting to go pick up random items, and uh... yup, that's on me. whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Harrow posted:

this sounds like it absolutely rules

the gameboy sagas are a good time and you can do some very simple RNG manipulation to get the stats/spells/items that you want if you get completely stuck, because they have extremely static RNG behavior that doesn't depend on steps or timing or anything like that

it's mostly unnecessary unless you decide to chase after the really rare drops though