Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

AndyElusive posted:

Duncan still uses a dry pallet ceramic tile for things like metallics and washes. Which is kind of ideal imho.

I started to notice that metallics seep through the wet palette paper and stain the sponge underneath which stains any new paper I put on it later.

Yeah, dont put metallics on a wet palette, they dont agree with it, and it doesnt agree with them either. I've never tried a wash on a wet pallete, but I rarely put it on a dry pallete either tbh, I just usually go straight from the pot unless its a dropper bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea don't put metallics or inks or washes on a wet palette. Especially not any good metallics like Vallejo Metal Color that don't need any thinning to begin with.

I buy really cheap plastic palettes for stuff like that, you can wash them off or peel the paint off to re-use them.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a good video on how to use a wet palette? I have one, but I'm pretty sure I'm not using it right...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

Duncan still uses a dry pallet ceramic tile for things like metallics and washes. Which is kind of ideal imho.

I started to notice that metallics seep through the wet palette paper and stain the sponge underneath which stains any new paper I put on it later.

Oh yeah absolutely, I wasn't saying that you should always use a wet palette, especially with metallics, contrast paints, and washes. I use a crappy old round dry palette for all that stuff.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Always use your WAP when painting minis.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Always use your WAP when painting minis.

My favorite collab between Vincey V and Duncan Thee Stallion.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there a good video on how to use a wet palette? I have one, but I'm pretty sure I'm not using it right...

Funnily enough the thing that made me most go "god drat I'm a simpleton" was just watching them lay out the colours they expected to use this session in advance on the wet palette. Acrylic paint instantly drying had completely pruned that branch of thinking.

Squidmar is a good dude and worth listening to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwzych8IKq8

Miniac will make you cringe but he is pretty thorough at showing every step of setting up and using the wet palette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYVP469_KJ0

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've been using metallics on a wet palette and have never had an issue with it. IDK what paper you guys are using and if it's more porous than the publix brand parchment paper i'm using. poo poo, I accidentally dripped a bit of VMC chrome on the sponge and immediately just went to wash it off, then no issues of shiny glitter in my other paints once I cleaned everything.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

To whomever was asking about art paints, I use Golden Fluid Acrylics with a little high flow medium as my paints and high-flow acrylics as a high pigment wash (i think y'all call that contrast paints?). I use the high-flow acrylics plus a ton of high flow medium as a wash. I'm very happy with them, they don't cost me a ton, and the company is employee owned.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Painted up the Spellweaver from Gloomhaven!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Verisimilidude posted:

Painted up the Spellweaver from Gloomhaven!

Those colors! Such a cool interpretation of the character.

Cross post:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My ymca custodes needed some friends to cheer on

They are firmly in the "not done really but good enough for now I'm so sick of painting the same poo poo" category.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've been using metallics on a wet palette and have never had an issue with it. IDK what paper you guys are using and if it's more porous than the publix brand parchment paper i'm using. poo poo, I accidentally dripped a bit of VMC chrome on the sponge and immediately just went to wash it off, then no issues of shiny glitter in my other paints once I cleaned everything.

I use the paper that comes with the Army Painter wet palette (the same one that Duncan has).

Haven't tried using store bought parchment paper though. The included paper is probably a lot more porous though, like you said.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

On the subject of palettes, is there any guide to making your texture palette, like the one they use in Artis Opus drybrushing videos? I've got a bunch of MDF, fiberboard etc. lying around, and it could be cool to make one of my own.

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 20, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

inscrutable horse posted:

On the subject of palettes, is there any guide to making your texture palette, like the one they use in Artis Opus drybrushing videos? I've got a bunch of MDF, fiberboard etc. lying around, and it could be cool to make one of my own.

You've linked to the channel rather than the video you mean, but the only time I've ever seen someone mention a "Texture Pallete" is MS_Paints, his guide to how he made his is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq4mcX1epsE (spoiler warning: Glue a bunch of stuff with different textures to a thing, paint it all black).

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Yeah, that was deliberate, since they use the same tools in all their videos. Still, maybe I should find a more illustrative link :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Seems like it would be cheapest to just get a square foot of particle board at home Depot

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey what's a good glue to use for metal miniatures? My gorilla glue doesn't seem to work.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Hey what's a good glue to use for metal miniatures? My gorilla glue doesn't seem to work.

I use Loctite Professional and it seems to work perfectly fine.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Seems like it would be cheapest to just get a square foot of particle board at home Depot

I have something like 2 or 3 square meters of 6mm MDF and other random scrap wood lying around - hence the want to build something cool out of it :D

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

StashAugustine posted:

cyanoacrylate with some kind of accelerator is my go to, plus pinning

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
This is a long-shot, but I need some help with chipping. I'm using the hairspray method. I do about two coats of hairspray, then let that dry. Next, I airbrush my top coat over that and let it dry. When I start paintbrush chipping with water, my chips end up being huge and sometimes the whole airbrush layer starts to lift off and peel away. What am I doing wrong?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Why not just do layers of sponging?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SERPUS posted:

This is a long-shot, but I need some help with chipping. I'm using the hairspray method. I do about two coats of hairspray, then let that dry. Next, I airbrush my top coat over that and let it dry. When I start paintbrush chipping with water, my chips end up being huge and sometimes the whole airbrush layer starts to lift off and peel away. What am I doing wrong?

sounds like too much hairspray. the less chipping medium the less the paint kind of floats on that surface.

I'd start with one coat of hairspray, and not really trying to get great coverage like you would with a primer

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross-posting from the MCP thread:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

My number one advice is its a wet palette, not a damp one, or a fairly moist one. Once I started using one like that it made a big difference.

The other thing is size. I used a little P3 one and then an AK one for a long time, but they were both quite small - when I moved to the RedGrass one, it was like "oooooooh"

I can actually mix and play with the paints more, and have enough room for literally any project I'm working on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59lhf88WZlc

This video sold me on the Red Grass games large version, I really love it.

edit: you can totally make your own! I personally don't mind throwing some money at something and making the problem go away.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 20, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Spanish Manlove posted:

I used a Tupperware and baking sheet as a wet palette for the longest time. One day I had enough spare cash to buy an Everlasting Wet Palette. And to be honest, the best part about it is not the palette itself, it's the foam pads and hydration paper. They have just the right properties for miniature painting. An off the shelf sponge (the thin, flat, spread ones) and baking paper are just not meant for painting. They are okay but the ones I got from Red Grass Games just work better.

So if I had to do it again I'd simply buy those.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i never really liked my homemade ones and i never wanted to spend the money on one, but someone bought me the redgrass for christmas and it's really really good.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Finished my practice models.

I made a lot of mistakes but drat it was a lot of fun. I'm itching to do another project and see how I can improve.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Is that commission list in the OP still accurate? I've got 4 minis I'd like to have painted for my D&D group as presents for the end of our first campaign.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So finally finished my three tanks for my thousand sons army, giving me 2k points. I really like how the weathering came out.

Rhino side

Vindicator

vindicator side

Predator

Hope to take some full army shots soon. I started painting the army in like February of last year, so took me a year to finish, but that was also with some long break in between due to personal life poo poo.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Any tips for making this shoulder pad read more like a Deathwing pad?

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Crosspost from the 40k thread:

The French Army posted:

Work on my Thunderhawk has slowed down a lot since I got recalled to full time work, but I haven't stopped.

The ventral engine was the last engine to be added. I built this one differently than the others, and it went a lot faster. With that engine on and the final details and rivets added to the ventral fuselage, I could proceed with assembly.

Keeping the tail fin square was a huge pain in the rear end. A lot of the detail I added wasn't quite perfectly centered which played havoc with lining up the main fin.

Once the tail fin was set in place, I added the main wings. The secondary wings will be glued down after everything is primed. At this point I've got most of the main vehicle constructed, and now that the ventral engine is on I need to start working on mounting the model on its base. The plan for this is to have two 1.5mm steel rods supporting the entire weight of the model. They'll be sunk into the ventral fuselage to the aft of the rear access port and modeled to look like rappelling line. In the photo below, the rods will enter the fuselage next to the triple lines near the engine intakes. Their mountings will be modeled to look like coils of retracted rappelling line. Think coiled up garden hose.

The rear hatch will be modeled open, with Intercessors exiting the hatch and sliding down the wire. Those steel rods will connect to a framework of more steel rods designed to support the weight of the whole Thunderhawk. The model only weighs 1 lb 1 oz, so a pair of 1.5mm steel rods should be more than enough to support it. The base end of the wires will be sandwiched between two layers of styrene which will compose the flat part of the base. This means I'll need to tear apart some parts of the forward fuselage and model some interior details which I omitted. I'm also considering wiring up a light inside the cabin so all my interior work won't be lost in the dark.

Once the Thunderhawk is on its base I can finish constructing its landing gear, armament and a few other details and minor embellishments. I'll need to add two twin-linked heavy bolters in front of the small forward wings, another two at the ends of the main wings, and a pair of removable missile racks, one on each main wing. I'll also need to complete the cockpit, and to that end I've ordered a fresh, brand new landspeeder from my FLGS. I'll also need to get a box of Intercessors. I've never used an entire Marine squad just to base a model before but in this case it'll be worth it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Any tips for making this shoulder pad read more like a Deathwing pad?

Paint the little crack in the blade? Ya know, that little Deathwing crack their emblem has in the middle of the blade for some reason.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Paint the rim green

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Crosspost!

Finished up the Bladeguard Vets this weekend. I ran into a few hiccups with them. I think I took some sessions a bit too long and was fatigued.

I tried out some power sword effects for the first time. It got much better by the third one and overall I'm happy with it.

I'm working on a 10 man unit next. I'm going to try and not be so detailed on them. Its going to be a challenge for me to leave them so I don't take a month to paint them all.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

After years of collecting gray plastic and never doing anything with it I finally overcame the anxiety and tried to paint. The red flame thrower accident was my first attempt. I tried brushing on a base coat and quickly understood why everyone hates red. Gave up on the brush and decided to give the airbrush a whirl. Things went better until I got to the face. After a few attempts to fix it, I gave up. I think it can be saved but I'm not quite sure how yet. The yellow dude was my 2nd attempt after getting a bit discouraged with melt face. Did a red prime followed by a coat of pink->white highlight->yellow ink. I think I got too much white and the shading didn't come through as well as wanted but I'm still happy with my "First Finished Mini". Youtube is a hell of a tool.

Also, I really dig good brushes. I was comfortable enough to switch to using a sable halfway on the Yellow guy and the difference was immediately noticable vs a 'Royal' walmart brush.

Edit: Techinically not finished because I forgot the backpack :negative:

Chacmool fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 22, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the yellow dude is badass

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Both of those are far beyond my first couple minis. Good work!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Chacmool posted:

I tried brushing on a base coat and quickly understood why everyone hates red.

Obligatory and well deserved "Well done!" post, particularly on the yellow; such a gorgeous and saturated colour!

...but with that out of the way, is the red-hate an actual thing? Maybe it's because I started out painting AdMech, but painting red is, for me, one of the easiest things in the world. Mephiston Red is such a well-behaved paint, as are all the red nuances in GW's range. At least, they are in my experience :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

A couple youtubers did a test of this and they found it might stain the sponge but it doesn't mix in with your actual paint

Eediot Jedi posted:

Funnily enough the thing that made me most go "god drat I'm a simpleton" was just watching them lay out the colours they expected to use this session in advance on the wet palette. Acrylic paint instantly drying had completely pruned that branch of thinking.

Squidmar is a good dude and worth listening to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwzych8IKq8

Miniac will make you cringe but he is pretty thorough at showing every step of setting up and using the wet palette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYVP469_KJ0

I've watched these, Squidmar is ok, but Miniac seems like someone I'd actively want to hang out with