Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Judakel posted:

that settles it we must invade brazil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

joepinetree posted:

Hello,
Actual Brazilian here.
The US under Obama conspired with sections of the Brazilian judiciary to remove from power the party that had led to the greatest reduction of deforestation in Brazil. Americans butting out means butting out from the start, and not just after the US removed the left from power.

Uh, pretty sure Obama got a noble peace prize, so I think you must be mistaken there

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
give florida to brazil to make up for a lack of wetlands

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

spacemang_spliff posted:

I'm building these condos to prevent to prevent dengue fever

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

When does the draft for the upcoming Brazilian liberation conflict start?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Majorian posted:

Gotta beat a dickish giant skeleton boss first tho.

but enough about Nancy Pelosi

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

What does AOC have to say about this subject?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

FormaldehydeSon posted:

who

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

FormaldehydeSon posted:

When does the draft for the upcoming Brazilian liberation conflict start?

there is no war but robot war

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

absurd ominous clown

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

FormaldehydeSon posted:

the brazilian people cry out for succor

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lord of Pie posted:

but enough about Nancy Pelosi

Heyoooo!!!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
“The ten most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the United States, and I'm here to help.”

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mirthless posted:

Pretty much every cool or attractive animal and plant in the amazon is being kept alive in either the pet trade or in zoos, and while that's not great, programs that practice wild release from captivity seem to have some measure of success so it's possible to bring back some animals. Can it be replaced completely? No. A new ecosystem can be built. And artificial ecosystems build up surprisingly quickly - we used to have the same notions about wetlands.

The problem I have with this viewpoint is that it seems to handwave away the point that we'd be freezing our growth with America at the top, forever

This isn't "the capitalist need for endless growth", this is "the brazilian need for basic housing and infrastructure"

one world government bitch. gently caress your country rankings.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

“The ten most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the United States, and I'm here to help.”

I'm a something awful moderator, here to babysit your children

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

alarumklok posted:

maybe this time we invade we can introduce our own engineered rampaging jungle death plague to even out the advantage the home team has. i think it's worth a shot

does corona count

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The same implicit complications at the heart of destroying the rainforest are also at the heart of the forums conversation about it (and political discourse as a whole)

1) Tools are too good and effective- chopping down trees or analyzing media, politicians, and constituencies

2) We allow the most high iq and special folks to use them with impunity. This is how we get takes about how M4A is sexist or about how stopping a country from destroying a global wonder is actually colonialism.

a new study bible! has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Mar 20, 2021

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

i love it when posters fundamentally agree with each other but still have a boring argument for like 3 pages because no one involved will stop drafting unfunny cspam barbs and dig their head out of their rear end in a top hat for long enough to actually read eachothers posts

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

To quote a former US President, they can't help that they were born hosed up.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"I don't give one single hot gently caress if you think society failed you, Post Better"
- Joe "The Rapist" Biden

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Stop fighting, you're all ruining Thanksgiving!:cry:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

misadventurous posted:

i love it when posters fundamentally agree with each other but still have a boring argument for like 3 pages because no one involved will stop drafting unfunny cspam barbs and dig their head out of their rear end in a top hat for long enough to actually read eachothers posts

the gently caress did you call me, motherfucker????

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The vibe in this thread is hella off today.

Here's some positive vibes

https://twitter.com/NBCLA/status/1373087608146911234?s=20

quote:

It contained alleged messages from wiki-leaks founder Julian Assange and fugitive former CIA agent Edward Snowden mixed in with thoughtful messages to real-life pandemic heroes.

Lmao

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

misadventurous posted:

hm, no i don't fundamentally agree with the poster that thinks all the good animals are already in zoos and we should fill wetlands with concrete

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

sexpig by night posted:

that naked kid running away, but it's some Villages slug on a rascal

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

silicone thrills posted:

Lmao

https://twitter.com/giraffesandguns/status/1373159713710428163?s=09

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Some idiot cop pulling over someone for a license plate light being out and then somehow bungling the situation into unloading a clip into the driver and their children - a real-life pandemic hero lol

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

Lmao

haha holy lol

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Raiad posted:

does corona count

maybe turbocovid will do the trick and we can finally embrace our role as plague marines

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

misadventurous posted:

CountryMatters posted:

I'd be very curious to know your feelings on even less economically-useful conservation, like endangered animals. Should they all be wiped out for car parks and factories? Anacondas and tree frogs don't even produce oxygen, those freeloaders. The enormously complex ecosystem of the Amazon is literally irreplacable, no matter how many trees America plants it is impossible to replicate the rainforest without tens of millions of years of growth

Mirthless posted:

Pretty much every cool or attractive animal and plant in the amazon is being kept alive in either the pet trade or in zoos, and while that's not great, programs that practice wild release from captivity seem to have some measure of success so it's possible to bring back some animals. Can it be replaced completely? No. A new ecosystem can be built. And artificial ecosystems build up surprisingly quickly - we used to have the same notions about wetlands.

*reads posts very hard* Hm wait no still turns out this guy is an insane dipshit

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

hm, no i don't fundamentally agree with the poster that thinks all the good animals are already in zoos and we should fill wetlands with concrete

i doubt that this is true

they’ll probably tell you this isn’t true

i’m sure as soon as you read “i doubt this is true” you were willing to stake your life that it’s 100 loving % true and started writing a strongly worded post about it

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Kaedric posted:

*reads posts very hard* Hm wait no still turns out this guy is an insane dipshit

ok whatever. freaking out and inventing half an argument for someone made sense actually. i dont care that much

misadventurous has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Mar 20, 2021

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Lol i'm just sayin there's a lot of folks kramering in saying 'no one is saying <horrible thing x>' when actually yes, it turns out they are in fact saying horrible thing x

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

misadventurous posted:

ok whatever. freaking out and inventing half an argument for someone made sense actually. i dont care that much

posts furiously about some dumb bullshit
find out i'm unambiguously wrong
actually i dont care that much

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Look, if the argument is "America is not going to solve this particular problem because america fuckin sucks' then yes, literally everyone in CSPAM will agree with you

The argument is 'if you remove yourself from all material desires, you will achieve true bloodless enlightenment like I have. We must allow the (non-indigenous) peoples of brazil to determine their own fate. (Let us for the moment disregard that their current situation was literally engineered by american interests) When a developing nation massacres its native people for economic gain, who are we to say if that is bad or good. Actually wait, let me unequivocally say that it is good.'

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

woooooooosh

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
anyway america should go full communism now and then depopulate all of brazil.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

China being able to force big multinational companies to do its bidding is a legitimate concern that some of those articles I think are referring to. The whole Activision Blizzard thing in particular, and then you have what happened to vtubers like Coco and Hachama merely for mentioning the existence of Taiwan. It's kinda like 1938 but instead of brownshirts being on the street its on the internet with the full force of a regional power amplifying them. China is absolutely an adversary and deterrence has had a large degree of success in containing the actions of totalitarian regimes.

I used to be on the train of "Hey China seems to be doing pretty great", read stuff like "Inside the People's Republic" and China: Fragile Superpower by Susan L. Shirk from the association of Concerned Asian Scholar and its a very interesting and nuanced view on the PRC and its actions. But since Hu Jintao stepped down and Xi stepped up things have just turned for the worse in ways that go from disappointing (Xi dispensing with the de facto term limits of the past meant to avoid the rise of a cult of personality like Mao's) to heinous (the genocide happening in Xinjiang); this is not a power that can be left to its own devices, and unlike the USSR I'm not sure detente is really possible without a possibly unacceptable amount of sacrifice to the functioning of the post-Breton-Woods international order.

There are some good points about China still in terms of the international order, they are still probably the best way to usher in a peaceful unification of Korea as it is in their interest to see the North subsumed by the South; and ultimately on balance they are probably a more stable international partner than Russia currently is, but that's more because of how lovely Russia is, China regardless barely if at all plays by the rules, what with the stealing of IP and such, ask Nortel.

China will probably at some point be reasonably confident in being able to challenge the US over Taiwan, and through its conventional anti-CVBG ICBM's can probably force the US to operate from beyond Taiwan to keep its assets safe; but it still has a long way to go for its C3 abilities and aircraft pilot training and quality, and the quality of their engines for their aircraft to get to that point. At that point the US's only options are to make such a conflict painful for China but it can't probably hold off a naval invasion forever.

The US should however keep doing everything it can to delay that for as long as possible.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FormaldehydeSon posted:

AOCIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

China being able to force big multinational companies to do its bidding is a legitimate concern that some of those articles I think are referring to. The whole Activision Blizzard thing in particular, and then you have what happened to vtubers like Coco and Hachama merely for mentioning the existence of Taiwan. It's kinda like 1938 but instead of brownshirts being on the street its on the internet with the full force of a regional power amplifying them. China is absolutely an adversary and deterrence has had a large degree of success in containing the actions of totalitarian regimes.

I used to be on the train of "Hey China seems to be doing pretty great", read stuff like "Inside the People's Republic" and China: Fragile Superpower by Susan L. Shirk from the association of Concerned Asian Scholar and its a very interesting and nuanced view on the PRC and its actions. But since Hu Jintao stepped down and Xi stepped up things have just turned for the worse in ways that go from disappointing (Xi dispensing with the de facto term limits of the past meant to avoid the rise of a cult of personality like Mao's) to heinous (the genocide happening in Xinjiang); this is not a power that can be left to its own devices, and unlike the USSR I'm not sure detente is really possible without a possibly unacceptable amount of sacrifice to the functioning of the post-Breton-Woods international order.

There are some good points about China still in terms of the international order, they are still probably the best way to usher in a peaceful unification of Korea as it is in their interest to see the North subsumed by the South; and ultimately on balance they are probably a more stable international partner than Russia currently is, but that's more because of how lovely Russia is, China regardless barely if at all plays by the rules, what with the stealing of IP and such, ask Nortel.

China will probably at some point be reasonably confident in being able to challenge the US over Taiwan, and through its conventional anti-CVBG ICBM's can probably force the US to operate from beyond Taiwan to keep its assets safe; but it still has a long way to go for its C3 abilities and aircraft pilot training and quality, and the quality of their engines for their aircraft to get to that point. At that point the US's only options are to make such a conflict painful for China but it can't probably hold off a naval invasion forever.

The US should however keep doing everything it can to delay that for as long as possible.

if you post more than a paragraph you should automatically get probed, it would make that forum so much more readable when you're forced to just write what you mean: "I cannot get hard without a war to cheerlead for. think of my sex life"