Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Somebody once raved at me that Aperol Spritz was the best cocktail and I tried one with such high expectations, only to have them dashed, dashed like soda in a whiskey.

I'm going to have to get some vanilla vodka and try making some of the ones mentioned. I hold you all reposnsible for my impending disappointment/hangover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Vanilla Vodka really is the best Vodka for mixing cocktails, a very worthy purchase if you enjoy shaking up a drink or two. Regular Vodka has its place too of course but for most Vodka cocktails I'd go for vanilla.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lord of the Llamas I have a political cartoon for you to enjoy

That Euler diagram seems to assert that none of the alt-right are fascists or weirdos!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

That's where they went wrong, ordering its demolition rather than it just accidentally burning down.

Not everywhere is Glasgow.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lord of the Llamas posted:

That Euler diagram seems to assert that none of the alt-right are fascists or weirdos!
They've got nerds overlapping both fascists & alt-right so imo it was just an honest mistake: alt-right should be the overlap between nerds & fascists.

Can't account for the misfits & weirdos though

e: or "no fascists are megalomaniacs", jfc :godwin:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Borrovan posted:

They've got nerds overlapping both fascists & alt-right so imo it was just an honest mistake: alt-right should be the overlap between nerds & fascists.

Can't account for the misfits & weirdos though

e: or "no fascists are megalomaniacs", jfc :godwin:

A Venn diagram would clearly be more appropriate to show all the relevant sets in this case.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Going way back to landlords with unhealthy emotional attachments to buildings, I made this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm pretty sure they just mash both buttons constantly and see no issue with that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/3126016/tiananmen-square-london-uk-council-seeks-rename-streets-near

"China’s plans for a huge new embassy complex in the British capital faces more controversy, after the local authority in charge of approving the construction on the former Royal Mint site supported a motion to rename streets nearby to Tiananmen Square, Hong Kong Road, Uighur Court and Tibet Hill."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
China will start naming their roads after British crimes.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Spuckuk posted:

belated cocktail chat, but Negronis are why I feel like death today:

one part gin,
one part vermouth rosso (red, semi-sweet),
and one part Campari,
shake with lots of ice,
garnish with orange peel if feeling sassy

10/10 would groni again

You don't shake a negroni

If a cocktail only has booze in, you stir it in a mixing glass
If it has not-booze in it that's not a mixer, you shake it

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Reading through the list of spontaneous reports of AZ side-effects you vaccine-havers missed out on some of the good ones.

I'm fascinated by what the one reported case of patient elopement involved.

Maybe some of you were among the four reported cases of "screaming" though.

In this context it means the patient absconded after the vaccination. Probably some over enthusiastic volunteer narc-ed them after they were found missing from the chair 10 mins after the dose vs 15.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also my 2 favourite cocktails are Jasmine's and Into the Woods

Jasmine

60ml gin
45ml lemon juice
7ml Campari
7ml orange liqueur

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass

It goes a pleasing shade of pastel pink but is a wonderful combo of bitter and sour

Into the Woods

60ml bourbon or rye
2 dashes angostura bitters
90ml cider
90ml ginger beer

Combine everything in a Collins glass with ice, stir. Perfect winter cocktail

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gonzo McFee posted:

Quite. A derelict property close to where I used to live mysteriously flooded after the bath was left running with the plug in. The ceiling caved in, plaster fell off the walls and the floors were ruined. The developer was so upset that his planning application had been rejected that he had forgotten to have the water supply turned off.

He blamed 'squatters'.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/3126016/tiananmen-square-london-uk-council-seeks-rename-streets-near

"China’s plans for a huge new embassy complex in the British capital faces more controversy, after the local authority in charge of approving the construction on the former Royal Mint site supported a motion to rename streets nearby to Tiananmen Square, Hong Kong Road, Uighur Court and Tibet Hill."

LBTH does like a bit of street- and building-name trolling, I'll give them that. Milligan Street (named after the slave owner who financed the West India Docks) is due to be renamed Johns Street (after the bloke who declared independence for the Isle of Dogs after the closure of the docks), they reacted to the Met complaining about Siege House on Sidney Street by naming two new buildings on the end of it Peter House and Painter House and of course there's half a dozen estates and council buildings named after various anarchists and communists.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 21, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does it not get quite confusing to find places if they keep renaming the roads? Or is it so that when they declare the glorious sovereign republic of tower hamlets the british army won't be able to invade because they can't find where it is?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

pre:
turn... left and... minus... 80 metres at... nonce junction

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

there are about as many historical british crimes as there are roads in china so this should work out

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Chinese infrastructure planners are me playing Cities: Skylines

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Does it not get quite confusing to find places if they keep renaming the roads? Or is it so that when they declare the glorious sovereign republic of tower hamlets the british army won't be able to invade because they can't find where it is?

They wouldn't dare invade anyway because we're legally entitled to shelter in the Tower of London in the event of an invasion.

In any case, the renamed streets are existing ones that are going to be cut, expanded, or otherwise buggered around with as part of the conversion (e.g. Cartwright Street and Royal Mint Street are both to be cut in two and made two-way for a staff entrance and car park) so they'd (or the remainders) would normally be renamed as part of that anyway.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They wouldn't dare invade anyway because we're legally entitled to shelter in the Tower of London in the event of an invasion.

In any case, the renamed streets are existing ones that are going to be cut, expanded, or otherwise buggered around with as part of the conversion (e.g. Cartwright Street and Royal Mint Street are both to be cut in two and made two-way for a staff entrance and car park) so they'd (or the remainders) would normally be renamed as part of that anyway.

It's nice to have you back

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

MikeCrotch posted:

You don't shake a negroni

If a cocktail only has booze in, you stir it in a mixing glass
If it has not-booze in it that's not a mixer, you shake it
Don't necessarily shake non-booze either imo - I said it last night but I'll say it again for emphasis:

Only shake it if it's either got freshly-squeezed fruit juice or fruit pulp in it, or if you're trying to generate foam (anything with egg in, espresso martinis). The orthodox rule is always shake fruit juice, but if you're making woo-woos or cosmopolitans for example you'll be using bottled cranberry juice with no pulp in, so just stir, it'll come out much clearer & is delicious. Same applies to lemon & lime juice: try making a margarita or sidecar with bottled juice, stir it & pour it through a tea-strainer, I dare you. It comes out completely clear & it's just a better drink imo.

I still shake daquiris though, they're nicer a bit cloudy with a thin foam. It's just a matter of taste really, just be aware of why you're shaking & decide whether to do it or not based on that. Never shake pure booze though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

crispix posted:

Chinese infrastructure planners are me playing Cities: Skylines

Probably not as far off as we'd like. Though that game does basically turn into Traffic Flow Simulator pretty quickly.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Chinese being allowed to build on the site of the old royal mint (next to the Tower of London and on top of a old Abby) is going to be glorious when they start finding genuinely important artefacts and the British museum gets to :( as they all go to some museum in Beijing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

Hey, if it works in one place it'll work everywhere else. Got a listed building? Not anymore mate.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
No matter what I do in cities skylines I always end up with a ridiculous gridlock up the motorway, despite adding piles of bypasses and extra junctions and whatever. I like the game but pfft I just want to build cool train systems, I hate having to do all the road stuff first.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

haven't been quite as busy on the farm as I wanted the last week or two but things are shaping up for a busy planting season

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

No matter what I do in cities skylines I always end up with a ridiculous gridlock up the motorway, despite adding piles of bypasses and extra junctions and whatever. I like the game but pfft I just want to build cool train systems, I hate having to do all the road stuff first.

You might prefer workers and resources soviet republic if you can abide the greatly increased jank factor, people don't even have cars unless you give them them.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

You might prefer workers and resources soviet republic if you can abide the greatly increased jank factor, people don't even have cars unless you give them them.

I have this and think it'll be great once it's out of early access! Bit too janky when I last played it a few years back, maybe I'll give it another go. I was really put off by the lack of angle snap on the buildings, it really upset the perfectionist in me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a major update in the works that adds a bunch of nice QOL stuff as well as underground infrastructure wind power, and helicopters, so I'm gonna give it another spin after that.

I also wish there were more things to facilitate building pretty cities, even if everything is soviet hellconcrete.

E: though I think there is an angle snap, not sure if you need to hold a button, no positional snap though which I would like.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Chinese being allowed to build on the site of the old royal mint (next to the Tower of London and on top of a old Abby) is going to be glorious when they start finding genuinely important artefacts and the British museum gets to :( as they all go to some museum in Beijing.

Eh, the Museum of London got to have a good rummage when the Mint vacated it for it to be turned into offices in the 60s (and what they mostly found was a plague pit so didn't fancy digging much further). At the moment the plans are mostly to keep the existing buildings (although demolish and rebuild a bunch of 80s expansion around the back) so it's unlikely they'd find anything of worth.

Now if the old rumour/urban legend about their being multiple tunnels from it to the Tower are true, the Chinese might fancy grabbing the Crown Jewels as reparations for the Opium Wars though.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Borrovan posted:

Don't necessarily shake non-booze either imo - I said it last night but I'll say it again for emphasis:

Only shake it if it's either got freshly-squeezed fruit juice or fruit pulp in it, or if you're trying to generate foam (anything with egg in, espresso martinis). The orthodox rule is always shake fruit juice, but if you're making woo-woos or cosmopolitans for example you'll be using bottled cranberry juice with no pulp in, so just stir, it'll come out much clearer & is delicious. Same applies to lemon & lime juice: try making a margarita or sidecar with bottled juice, stir it & pour it through a tea-strainer, I dare you. It comes out completely clear & it's just a better drink imo.

I still shake daquiris though, they're nicer a bit cloudy with a thin foam. It's just a matter of taste really, just be aware of why you're shaking & decide whether to do it or not based on that. Never shake pure booze though.

Don't daquiris and cosmos both have lime juice in though

I'm spoiled at the minute though - one of the things our local food bank gets is crates of limes donated, and it turns out most people don't want crates of limes so volunteers get to take a bunch home. I will have to try stirred if I used bottled though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
A true mask-off moment for New New Labour (and the wider tepid neoliberal "I hear you" mantra):

https://twitter.com/KerryMP/status/1371811921528303618

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"There will be a consultation at which I am making it clear you will not be listened to."

His Divine Shadow posted:

I just ignore and move on.
Right, but as pointed out by Ms. A above, it's kind of hard to do that when he harasses Rumda by playing the victim, and trying to engage with newer posters so that they quote him and his posts get past ignore filters anyway.

Also like I said in the big rant yesterday, saying 'just ignore the abusive guy who posts anti progressive poo poo, free speech concern trolling, and attacks people every few weeks' is just leaving a huge missing step.

He's not going away on his own, he's said as much. He's also been here long enough to have learnt something if he was ever going to. Not doing something about him at this point says more about us than it does him.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A true mask-off moment for New New Labour (and the wider tepid neoliberal "I hear you" mantra):

"i have listened, but gently caress em" is certainly a new line.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*don't gently caress 'em, on punishment of arrest

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
+1 to threadbanning from a mostly-lurker here. Putting them on ignore doesn't stop them turning the thread into a more hostile place when newbies and lurkers still see their posts.

But to add value to this thread, I went for a walk in stockport and saw some caves.

According to an information board they were carved in the 17th century and were used as air raid shelters in ww2. I wonder if there's another entrance or erosion's been cruel, because I wouldn't want to go in there without a rope and harness.

Also, I'm envious of DesperateDan's lovely green spaces, it's all brown and covered in litter, here.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably not as far off as we'd like. Though that game does basically turn into Traffic Flow Simulator pretty quickly.

Oh you mean Traffic Flow If Everyone Was Allergic To The Outside Lane Simulator?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

haven't been quite as busy on the farm as I wanted the last week or two but things are shaping up for a busy planting season
Good work! On a much smaller scale I've just moved my peas from the windowsill germinator into the back yard so I'm half expecting a flash blizzard just to spite me.

ThomasPaine posted:

I was really put off by the lack of angle snap on the buildings, it really upset the perfectionist in me.
Extremely :same:

I didn't become General Secretary for Planning and Development of the People's Party of Peasants and Workers to not build everything on a nice grid. I'd play British Road: There Is A Planning Dispute if I wanted that.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

From the replies, this is an excellent one sentence summary of Blairism in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DesperateDan posted:

Mind if I save the pic with the daisies? I might wanna do a painting of it sometime. I love daisies.

Friends I am laid low by the vaccine. I am just unwell enough to feel super whiney and a bit loopy and not unwell enough to just go to bed. woke at 4am with horrible shivers. Now I am only sweat and anger. This must be what gammons feel like all the time.