Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLssz8zxWVg

Oh Christ, this episode is from ten goddamn years ago. That makes for so many more awful Simpsons seasons that have been shittily thrown together since then.

Holy.

loving.

poo poo. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Precious is better than the last 22 seasons of The Simpsons combined

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That poo poo is just a special kind of mean-spirited. Just gently caress off, Simpsons.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

AHH F/UGH posted:

Precious is better than the last 22 seasons of The Simpsons combined

Seriously. I remember seeing that snippit on television after recently watching Precious and there was a small :yikes: feeling to be felt.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

300 is meant to be a story that emulates how xenophobic authoritarians will use story-telling to dehumanize their enemies, re-write history, and prop up their own hideous culture as superior. 300 actually has great anti-fash, anti-racist overtones.

Unfortunately this interpretation is not supported by literally everything else Frank Miller ever wrote.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

YeahTubaMike posted:

Holy.

loving.

poo poo. :stonk:

The Wikipedia synopsis for that episode is 10 kinds of insane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Is_a_Many_Strangled_Thing

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Imagined posted:

Unfortunately this interpretation is not supported by literally everything else Frank Miller ever wrote.

Frank Miller's brain melted post-9/11

Who cares how he wants you to interpret his art though, is he gonna come to your house and give you a wedgie for not taking it at face value

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just watched Bart's Inner Child. It's hilarious of course (had to Google how to fix the goddamn aspect ratio first though) but really struck me after half a bottle of ginger wine is the ending theme song. So nostalgic, yet so odd. SO odd. It's this bombastic, busy, yet quite eerie song. It doesn't scream cartoon comedy at all. But it's magical. I want to watch a half hour youtube video dissecting it while drunk, immediately.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Here you go!

Oh Christ, this episode is from ten goddamn years ago. That makes for so many more awful Simpsons seasons that have been shittily thrown together since then.

In a just world, this show would have gracefully ended about fifteen years years ago or so, and we would still be miffed that the show went on a few seasons too long, but we wouldn’t outright be castigating ourselves to such cynical trash like this, but this is clip is already a decade old meaning there’s even more hot garbage to tarnish this rear end show.

For gently caress’s sake, just let The Simpsons die.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 21, 2021

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Oh jesus they had homer eating fried chicken there. Yyyyyikes

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It feels like the worst episodes of South Park where they are making fun of something popular not because they have anything to say but because it's popular and they can use that for marketing.

Like, you can imagine the writers being told "hey, Precious is getting a lot of buzz and we can get some buzz too if we do a Simpsons spin on that."

This is what you get.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Riptor posted:

Oh jesus they had homer eating fried chicken there. Yyyyyikes
I'm the jazz organ riff

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The whole world's got PRECIOUS FEVER, get on that team!!!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
The voices homer and bart (or dan and nancy cause actors are real) are putting on with that southern drawl on their voices, the kind you hear white people try to imitate when they want to sound "black".

Neither character they're parodying speak like that.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I'd rather watch Fresh-rear end: Based on the Novel Tush by Assfire, another glorious Scheinhardt production.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 21, 2021

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Plant MONSTER. posted:

The voices homer and bart (or dan and nancy cause actors are real) are putting on with that southern drawl on their voices, the kind you hear white people try to imitate when they want to sound "black".

I've never seen the movie Precious but as a Black person, that "blaccent" poo poo gave me visceral anger-chills.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

I've never seen the movie Precious but as a Black person, that "blaccent" poo poo gave me visceral anger-chills.

Never heard of the movie, but just watched the trailer for it, and holy poo poo.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

happyhippy posted:

Never heard of the movie, but just watched the trailer for it, and holy poo poo.

I've never seen a single second of it (frankly I'm afraid of what I'll see), but either way, I'm kind of surprised that the show didn't suffer at all for having done a parody of it. Maybe it would be naive to think that execs would care about racism, but apparently it's even naive-er to think that audiences would care enough to do/say something.

I can't imagine table-reading or recording that, jesus.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Imagine getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per episode and you put on your best Gone With the Wind accent for a parody of a movie famously set in NYC. You literally can’t get these fuckers to try.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I've never seen a single second of it (frankly I'm afraid of what I'll see), but either way, I'm kind of surprised that the show didn't suffer at all for having done a parody of it. Maybe it would be naive to think that execs would care about racism, but apparently it's even naive-er to think that audiences would care enough to do/say something.

Precious was pretty roundly and widely parodied despite how serious and brutal that movie is because the main character is obese. Really. Simpson’s would not be the only ones guilty of this.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 21, 2021

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

YeahTubaMike posted:

:stare:

There was probably laughter involved in the table read room from everyone, and that was considered normal and fine.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It's a great example of how mean spirited the joke is. It doesn't actually parody Precious (which I don't know if it would be possible) - it just goes for a fat joke.

Basically, actress in movie is fat - character on show is fat... we can do parody!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
30 Rock was so enamored of its Precious parody (“Hard to Watch” based on the novel “Stone Cold Bummer” by Manipulate) that it was an important recurring plot point

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

To be fair, fried chicken is sort of a recurring plot point in Precious so that’s not the most egregious thing

Though it’s like trying to make a parody of those Nigerian schoolgirls being kidnapped or something, it’s punching way, way down.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

To be fair, fried chicken is sort of a recurring plot point in Precious so that’s not the most egregious thing

Though it’s like trying to make a parody of those Nigerian schoolgirls being kidnapped or something, it’s punching way, way down.

It's clearly used as a fat joke at Gabourey Sidibe's expense, and honestly, I'm going to go ahead and assume the worst because of how loving mean-spirited and lovely that entire sequence is.

It ends with another crack at her appearance as well, because apparently the people working on the Simpsons are all the peak of human perfection, right? "Hahaha, you fat little bitch, your career's going to be poo poo because you're a fatty fat fat fat fat fat fat." Go gently caress yourselves.

And Sidibe's done alright for herself. Not exactly leading roles, but she's been working regularly.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vagabundo posted:

It ends with another crack at her appearance as well, because apparently the people working on the Simpsons are all the peak of human perfection, right?.

Well Hank Azaria is pretty close to the ideal physical specimen. The rest I assume look like poo poo

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

A lot of folks have taken the "nothing should be off limits for comedy" mantra the completely wrong way. Just because you CAN make fun of something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Nothing should be off limits but when you cross the it better be a really loving good joke.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
ctrl f zany

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4754144001

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Nothing should be off limits but when you cross the it better be a really loving good joke.

True, though I'm struggling to think of how you can make a good joke out of someone's deeply personal story of rape and abuse.

Y2KayBug
Feb 26, 2021
drat the harlem shake one was private

Click here to visit Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe A Nostalgic Y2K Community Forum

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

True, though I'm struggling to think of how you can make a good joke out of someone's deeply personal story of rape and abuse.

Well that's the thing. You can't make a good joke about someone else's painful experience, but that person might be able to.

There's comedy out there, like Nanette, which deal with some pretty heavy material. But because it was Hannah Gadsby's story, it plays very differently than if I, a straight cis white guy tried to make those same jokes.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

It's clearly used as a fat joke at Gabourey Sidibe's expense, and honestly, I'm going to go ahead and assume the worst because of how loving mean-spirited and lovely that entire sequence is.

It ends with another crack at her appearance as well, because apparently the people working on the Simpsons are all the peak of human perfection, right? "Hahaha, you fat little bitch, your career's going to be poo poo because you're a fatty fat fat fat fat fat fat." Go gently caress yourselves.

And Sidibe's done alright for herself. Not exactly leading roles, but she's been working regularly.

It’s based on how Mo’Nique’s character speaks to Precious in the film and that much is accurate but like someone else already said, it’s not a question of if you can parody but if you should and are you capable of doing something clever or worthwhile. The Simpsons writing team at this point are not.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Fish of hemp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1SojKfgNI

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I think it's a bit like The Producers in that, who exactly, are you making fun of? The victims of fascism or the fascists themselves? Linsey Ellis did a video talking about this exact thing with the conclusion being that the reason why that movie works is because Mell Brooks is making fun of the fascist aesthetic and those who take it seriously. When you take the trappings of fascism to its genuine extreme it tends to come off like, well, Springtime for Hitler and women dressed in pretzel dresses. poo poo, look at those right-wingers that shared that image from the racist utopia in Bioshock Infinite, but was completely serous about it.

The Precious bit super doesn't work because not only is the joke bad, but if you strip it to its bare parts it's a joke using a story about a young, Black girl's violent abuse and taken to the absolute extreme it kind of feels like your making fun of a fat black girl who grew up abused.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Thread, you locked my office and I want to get my Harvard mug!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yeah the litmus test is “what is the actual joke they thought they were making in the best case of their own minds?”. It really doesn’t get much further than “fat black poor dumb”

It could have maybe worked if the joke was on Homer, but it’s really just Homer parodying someone “even worse than him!!!!” l something I guess?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Thread, you locked my office and I want to get my Harvard mug!

Hey, egghead! Sing "Fair Harvard!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, most topics aren't off-limits if you're punching up. Redpill/PUA stuff makes me tremendously angry when it's spoken in earnest, but seeing Dennis in Always Sunny constantly compared to a serial killer for it is funny as hell.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Here you go!

Whoa what the gently caress is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

gently caress i clicked on it again