Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Finished rewatching Voyager Season 2 so I'm catching up on commentary

Meld- A good Tuvok episode with maybe my favorite Tuvok moment (where he gets tired of Neelix annoying him so he grabs him by the neck and chokes him out). This also introduces Lon Suder, who I guess Jeri Taylor really didn't like and had no interest in using as a character, so he only shows up in this and again in 'Basics' where he gets killed off.

Dreadnought- Actually a decent 'ticking clock' episode, where Voyager has to stop this reprogrammed Cardassian weapon from blowing up an innocent DQ planet. B'Elanna's back-and-forth with the computer AI that has her voice was entertaining if nothing else.

Death Wish- The first of several Q appearances on Voyager. I thought this episode actually asks some interesting questions about immortality and what it's actually like if you were also omnipotent. The brief Riker cameo is also always a good thing. The actor who plays the Q who is trying to kill himself does a good job. My only complaint is that the TNG Q really lays on the misogyny very thick against Janeway, although it later turns out he has a thing for her which may be part of it? I don't know. But that's easily the weakest part of the episode.

Lifesigns- Everything with The Doctor and Denara Pel is handled well, but like in some other Trek episodes this is a very inappropriate relationship between doctor and patient and that barely ever comes up.

Investigations- This wraps up some arcs throughout the season, one being the Maquis traitor who is feeding information to the Kazon to try and sabotage Voyager. The other is a more subtle one, that of Paris being insubordinate and late to assignments which gets him into hot water with Chakotay. The episode tries to get Neelix involved as the ship's 'journalist', but I don't think that ever comes up again outside of this one episode. I think the Paris arc was executed well, but the whole Maquis traitor thing never really goes anywhere as his whole reason for betraying the crew is because he is initially upset about Janeway not doing enough to get them home. Which is not something that Seska could ever really help with considering the Kazon have inferior technology to Starfleet. So they do kill off that guy, but he never really did anything of consequence so I don't get what the point of that was.

Deadlock- AKA the episode where Harry dies. I appreciate that this episode has a lot of tension almost the entire time, and manages to kill off two characters without really figuring out how that will be resolved until the final minutes. This episode is one that brings up the complaint I have throughout the series, that being how the ship just recovers easily from significant damage. The surviving Voyager has a completely ruined bridge but I guess that is fixable in just a couple of weeks? Come on.

Innocence- This episode has one of the laziest alien costumes I've seen since TOS. It's literally just pantyhose over their heads. This is also yet another episode where everything could have been solved early on if the aliens had told the crew the truth instead of potentially starting a conflict between the two sides.

The Thaw- One of the more highly rated of the early Voyager episodes. The producers lucked out that they got someone as talented as Michael McKean to be The Clown, because otherwise I don't think this episode works well. In a lot of ways this is a 'holodeck gone wrong' type of episode even if it doesn't take place on a holodeck. He's in a mask the whole time, but there is also an appearance by the actor who plays Mr. Homn on TNG.

Tuvix- I had watched an episode recently of a YouTuber's show that covers this episode, and they were not wrong that the final scenes where Tuvix is begging to live and the crew just stare blankly at him are very disturbing. The entire reason Tuvix ends up being killed is because nobody really likes him that much and they like the other two people better, which is hosed up to say the least. The entire affair is pretty hosed up, and Janeway is just stone-cold in how she takes Tuvix to his 'execution'.

Resolutions- I wish the show had done less of these 'character x is lost forever' type episodes because we all know none of it is permanent. We also get some hints at a potential Janeway/Chakotay romance but nothing ever comes of this. The scenes where Harry Kim gets extremely insubordinate because Tuvok is refusing to ask the Vidiians for help (as Janeway had ordered before she stepped down from command) get a bit absurd, as I really can't recall many other times that Kim gets this upset about anything. And of course it turns out that Janeway was right and the attempt to meet with the Vidiians turns into a trap.

Basics Part I- I get very frustrated with several of the Kazon episodes because it seems like the crew has to get dumber for them to be any kind of a threat. Like it's blatantly obvious at the beginning that Seska's story is full of poo poo and the entire thing is an elaborate setup to take over Voyager, but everyone wants to go help her out because it's not like she has betrayed them at every turn! Several Kazon ships start attacking Voyager in a seemingly unimportant area over a period of days, but at no point does Janeway wonder why. They completely take the rescued Kazon officer at his word, which again, there is no reason for him not to be in the Brig instead of quarters where they aren't monitoring him. For everyone to be that stupid they deserve to get their ship taken. Another funny moment is when Janeway is telling I think Tuvok to hold off on using the torpedoes which I found hilarious considering how often they use them in less threatening situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

HD DAD posted:

He was adorable in that one Doctor Who episode where he played a Russian scientist. All he wanted to do was just listen to his Ultravox cassette :3:

There's an episode of Gargoyles where he's basically just acting against himself. He voices a character who spends an entire episode interacting with a future version.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Lon Suder was too good a character for Trek.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

Jeri Taylor insisted that he die

quote:

Michael Piller wanted the character of Lon Suder – whom Piller had created, earlier in the second season – to survive the events of this episode, but Jeri Taylor was uninterested in further developing the character, who is consequently one of many who die in the episode's final moments. Piller commented, "It's a real wipeout. Jeri never cared for Suder and had no interest in developing him any further, so there was no point in keeping him alive. And a dramatic arc is fully realized by having his death occur at the end of part two. He heroically sacrifices himself for the ship." (Captains' Logs Supplemental - The Unauthorized Guide to the New Trek Voyages) According to Jeri Taylor herself, the decision to have Suder killed was made because the writers couldn't see how he could really be redeemed and he was simply too difficult to integrate with the other characters believably and well. (Delta Quadrant, p. 129)

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Basics,_Part_II_(episode)#Story_and_script

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Burning_Monk posted:

I haven't re-watched season two of Voyager in a long time, nor do I have any reason to do so anytime soon, but I seem to recall Suder being a pretty boring, non-entity of a character, rather he was just played exceptionally well by Brad Dourif.

Really, if anything I'm more shocked that Suder was Dourif's only Trek role. He seems to pop up in, like, every show that runs longer than a season.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jeri Taylor insisted that he die

Brad Dourif is a personal hero of mine and that is blasphemy!

quote:

because the writers couldn't see how he could really be redeemed and he was simply too difficult to integrate with the other characters believably and well.

writing hard; no work.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What is it with Trek writers and having characters be too “irredeemable” to do anything else with them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

What is it with Trek writers and having characters be too “irredeemable” to do anything else with them.
They're lazy

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HD DAD posted:

I mean, they had the literal Terran Emperor as a recurring character on Discovery, and she only left to go star in her own spinoff. Although that might be a bit too far in the other direction.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Starship mine would have been improved if Picard was getting his dune buggy racing helmet instead of a saddle.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, they had the literal Terran Emperor as a recurring character on Discovery, and she only left to go star in her own spinoff. Although that might be a bit too far in the other direction.

I remember early in season 3 after they reach Starfleet headquarters they are doing an interrogation of her and she somehow "hacks" the 1000 year advanced hologram doing the interrogation by blinking?

Remembering now that they came from pre-TOS days, did they even HAVE interactable holograms that weren't just a way to display transmissions or recordings back before they jumped into the future? Why would she be an expert in programming holograms she's never encountered before that are 1000 years more advanced than her time, even if they EXISTED back then (which as far as I know they didn't?)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The MU might be slightly more advanced than the Prime Universe thanks to the 23rd century Defiant popping into the 22nd century MU, but yeah, that’s an unbelievable leap.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

HD DAD posted:

The MU might be slightly more advanced than the Prime Universe thanks to the 23rd century Defiant popping into the 22nd century MU, but yeah, that’s an unbelievable leap.

The Defiant would have come back to during Trials and Tribble-ations right? So that would have been years after the Discovery encountered and took the Empress back to their prime universe.

Or was there another time the Defiant went back in time? I think they only time DS9 went to the MU was in their present time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It would be like if we brought someone back from the Middle ages and they sat down and whistled into a telephone headset to hack the switchboard.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Defiant would have come back to during Trials and Tribble-ations right? So that would have been years after the Discovery encountered and took the Empress back to their prime universe.

Or was there another time the Defiant went back in time? I think they only time DS9 went to the MU was in their present time.

It showed up in ENT: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/In_a_Mirror,_Darkly_(episode)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Enterprise MU two parter, where the Constitution Defiant ended up in Mirror 2154 after disappearing in The Tholian Web.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I remember early in season 3 after they reach Starfleet headquarters they are doing an interrogation of her and she somehow "hacks" the 1000 year advanced hologram doing the interrogation by blinking?

Remembering now that they came from pre-TOS days, did they even HAVE interactable holograms that weren't just a way to display transmissions or recordings back before they jumped into the future? Why would she be an expert in programming holograms she's never encountered before that are 1000 years more advanced than her time, even if they EXISTED back then (which as far as I know they didn't?)
In the ST timeline, the Word macro exploit was never fixed, but passed down through every successive generation for a millennium. (They also still use Flash.)

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Once you get to the point where Holograms are just different facets of your personality, each with their own uniquely horrible accent... what else is there to improve?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nitrousoxide posted:

It would be like if we brought someone back from the Middle ages and they sat down and whistled into a telephone headset to hack the switchboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxzvPnc2aUg&t=102s

(1:40 or so if the timestamp doesn't carry)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Timby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxzvPnc2aUg&t=102s

(1:40 or so if the timestamp doesn't carry)

Man what happened to her career

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've never watched a Terminator film past the first two, is 3 worth watching?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nitrousoxide posted:

Given the way they had the entire rest of the Discovery crew deliver "to know [her] is to love [her] is to know [her]" eulogies, I'm about 50/50 on "someone on staff has an Emperor Georgieou body pillow at home" and "CBS said we have to pump her up in advance of the S31 show"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've never watched a Terminator film past the first two, is 3 worth watching?

Of all the sequels, 3 is probably the least-offensive. It's basically a remake of 2 with the serial numbers filed off, but outside of some horrific attempts at humor and some wonky effects that haven't aged well at all, it's fine, and there are some scenes which carry some legitimate pathos to them. Schwarzenegger hadn't gotten to the point of self-parody at the time of Terminator 3, either.

The rest of the sequels ... woof. Salvation is the only one I ever saw in the theater, and all I remember of it is saying "I'm sorry, I am so, so sorry" to my ex-wife during the entire drive back home from the theater. (Oh, and I guess Anton Yelchin was pretty good in it.)

Please don't bother with Genisys and Dark Fate. They're both wretched, but for different, yet equally terrible, reasons.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The TV show was pretty decent, better than any of the movies past the first two.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The TV show was by far the best sequel past 2, it had a decent first season and an excellent second season before abrupt cliffhanger cancellation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The TV show was by far the best sequel past 2, it had a decent first season and an excellent second season before abrupt cliffhanger cancellation.
Yeah and it seemed like it was going to go really nuts if they had gotten a Season 3

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

T-3 had a fantastic ending.

But yeah the tv show was the best.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Astroman posted:

But yeah the tv show was the best.
The rest of T3 was pretty bland, but yes the ending was not something I expected

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Marshal Radisic posted:

It also feels like the pool of writers has shrunk as well. While back in the '80s and '90s you could get a whole bunch of different writers you'd never heard of before, nowadays it just seems to be the same half-dozen names coming up again and again.

Which makes some sense - it must be almost as impenetrable to writers as it is readers, what's the pitch to a new writer to make Star Trek novel currently when they're now mired in 20 years of completely alternate continuity detached from the shows? How many books does a person have to get through to catch up to the status quos of Project Full Circle and whatever state the Alpha Quadrant is in since the ultimate Borg war and the fallout of that? The writers left are likely the ones actually invested in and knowledgeable of the timeline that's been created.

Compare things to the pre-Relaunch novels and while there will be a boatload of hokey stuff and continuity gaffs in those, they're also pretty much timeless since even the most outlandish ones are standalone adventures spanning 1-3 books at most. Relaunch has out lived it's purpose at this point since the franchise is highly active again.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Astroman posted:

Agreed. Most of T3 was just more of the same formula established by the first two, and the movie sure looks like it's going toward exactly the finish you'd expect, but then it actually manages to surprise you.

There were probably studio execs who didn't want to take a chance like that and wanted the boring formulaic end, but I'm glad the writers stuck to their guns.

And suddenly I'm remembering the movie A.I. When watching that one, I thought to myself "wow, good ending, I can't believe they had the guts to do that" and then unfortunately the movie kept going for like another half hour and got really stupid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

And suddenly I'm remembering the movie A.I. When watching that one, I thought to myself "wow, good ending, I can't believe they had the guts to do that" and then unfortunately the movie kept going for like another half hour and got really stupid.

I will forever remain convinced that the ending of A.I. came from Spielberg, when he took over the movie following Kubrick's death. Like, he just flat-out said "There's no way I'm ending the movie with David asking to become a real boy until his batteries run out, I've got to graft something happier onto this." Everyone involved has said the movie's ending is loyal to what Kubrick and Ian Watson came up with, but I just don't buy it, not when taken in the context of pretty much everything Watson has ever written, not in the context of Kubrick being ... well, Kubrick.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno, I thought the end to A.I. was incredibly bleak. David is reactivated, and he doesn't seem to really understand or care that humanity has been extinct for millennia, that he's speaking to the hyper-advanced descendants of robots like himself, or that they value him for what he remembers of when humans were alive. All he wants is the "mother" who never loved him in the first place. He doesn't even really care that resurrecting her will "burn her memory out of the universe" or something; he wants his mommy. It's a fairy-tale ending, but in context it comes across as poisonously false.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I really hated the poo poo out of a.i.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Of all the shows I enjoyed that were canceled (and never got even a bone thrown at the fans like Farscape or Jericho), this one stung probably the most.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Where is the Klingon Empire in relation to Deep Space 9 and Cardassia?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I said come in! posted:

It's, you know, over thataway. (gestures vaguely)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

It's, you know, over thataway. (gestures vaguely)

That is what I figured haha. Trying to figure out some of these deep space 9 plots.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I said come in! posted:

There's never been a full on official canon map of the galaxy. However all the semi-canon maps are broadly like this one:

And some of the on-screen maps, like the one in first season Disco, are fairly similar to this one.

They're always pretty loose with the alpha/beta quadrant designations, but I think they have said that Sol is the border, the Federation stretches across both, and the Romulans and Klingons are mainly in the beta quad.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
T-2: No fate, the future is what we make it.

T-3: JK, there is no avoiding fate, judgement day is inevitable.

T-3 sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Actually the Disco map is just that map I posted with the A/B border shifted a bit to the right.