Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

John F Bennett posted:

Just watched The Inner Light, what an absolute life changing event that must be for Picard. Is it ever discussed or referred to again later? That has to have a huge mental impact on a person.

A fantastic episode.

There is the picard woos a lady with his flute episode but thats p much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
We want to talk about mental recovery times in Star Trek? The show where, in seven seasons, the entire crew de-evolved into animals and back, 4 people were turned into children and returned to normal, the captain was abducted, mutilated, and had his mind forced into a collective consciousness, and, like 15 other life-long tramatic incidents...

A positive experience like in "the inner light" would probably make Picard more excited for work the next day!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Division 14 must have a whole other spa planet just for all those poor folks.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bucswabe posted:

We want to talk about mental recovery times in Star Trek? The show where, in seven seasons, the entire crew de-evolved into animals and back, 4 people were turned into children and returned to normal, the captain was abducted, mutilated, and had his mind forced into a collective consciousness, and, like 15 other life-long tramatic incidents...

A positive experience like in "the inner light" would probably make Picard more excited for work the next day!

The best version of this is uh...”Genesis” I think where Worf morphs into a monster who melts Crusher’s face, straight murders another crew member, hunts and stalks Picard, and at the end is right back on the job. No hard feelings!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think the most egregious 'we, the writers, didn't think this through very much' is when Janeway, Tuvok, and B'Elanna are all voluntarily assimilated in Unimatrix Zero and have no long-term consequences from this

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
One of the few memorable good things about the fever nightmare that is Shatner’s (obviously ghostwritten) post Generations novels is that the Borg are described way more as body horror— entirely fleshy walls or poo poo in the cubes.

Definitely harder to bounce back from getting assimilated from something like that I would think.

Or maybe I made that up? gently caress man, that whole book is a bizarre thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

jeeves posted:

One of the few memorable good things about the fever nightmare that is Shatner’s (obviously ghostwritten) post Generations novels is that the Borg are described way more as body horror— entirely fleshy walls or poo poo in the cubes.

Definitely harder to bounce back from getting assimilated from something like that I would think.

I don't remember since those books were written a very long time ago, but I do remember about 10 years ago when Peter David, who did the New Frontier stuff, got to write a TNG/VOY novel where this one Borg cube basically 'adapts' to its situation by being able to assimilate people by absorbing them into itself. This happens to Janeway, as a matter of fact.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Bucswabe posted:

Picard forgetting some of his command codes after being mentally elsewhere for 50 years is probably safer than when they let Geordi stay in charge of main engineering after being a Romulan Manchurian Candidate

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have hooked the flute to the warp core and pumped it with chronotons, then had Picard play the song thereby transporting then back in the past to that planet where they could use the enterprise to save those people.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They should have hooked the flute to the warp core and pumped it with chronotons, then had Picard play the song thereby transporting then back in the past to that planet where they could use the enterprise to save those people.

I think you just came up with a plausible way the writers could've ruined that ep. The flute song contains a binary code that opens a time portal or something

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't remember since those books were written a very long time ago, but I do remember about 10 years ago when Peter David, who did the New Frontier stuff, got to write a TNG/VOY novel where this one Borg cube basically 'adapts' to its situation by being able to assimilate people by absorbing them into itself. This happens to Janeway, as a matter of fact.

Peter David wrote an absolutely astounding number of Star Trek books. Given how many Star Trek books I read it as a kid he’s probably my most read author.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Peter David wrote an absolutely astounding number of Star Trek books. Given how many Star Trek books I read it as a kid he’s probably my most read author.

And this is why I don't like a "novelverse", a lot of really interesting and crazy books would never have happened -- or had a bunch of blandifying conformity restrictions imposed on them -- with the continuity albatross slung around their necks. The SWEU/MCU model isn't the end of history.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delsaber posted:

Division 14 must have a whole other spa planet just for all those poor folks.

Wait, the Time Travel Police?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

Wait, the Time Travel Police?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaAiIrdzDYY

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

nine-gear crow posted:

Picard got exactly two vacation days in his career, Captain's Holiday and Family, and look how those turned out.

Wasn't Gambit also another personal day?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

V-Men posted:

Wasn't Gambit also another personal day?

Yeah, I think so. Picard was off doing some kind of personal archaeology dig.

Starship Mine was also going to be a personal day for Picard, he only went back to the ship to get his saddle to go riding while the Enterprise went through the carwash.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Starship Mine is great for multiple reasons, but the biggest laugh is the setup for the saddle seeming like a ridiculously bullshit excuse to leave, and then it basically smash cuts to Picard literally carrying the saddle down the corridor.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

jeeves posted:

Nah, that's all real. The Reeves-Stevens got much weirder and more body-horror heavy with the Borg in The Return, to the point where their take is way more weird and alien and interesting than anything mainline Trek did with them in FC and after.

McSpanky posted:

And this is why I don't like a "novelverse", a lot of really interesting and crazy books would never have happened -- or had a bunch of blandifying conformity restrictions imposed on them -- with the continuity albatross slung around their necks. The SWEU/MCU model isn't the end of history.
It also feels like the pool of writers has shrunk as well. While back in the '80s and '90s you could get a whole bunch of different writers you'd never heard of before, nowadays it just seems to be the same half-dozen names coming up again and again. 'Course, that has a lot more to do with Trek's decline in popularity causing an overall decrease in demand, along with the greater changes in the publishing industry. (While I don't have a link handy, I know Diane Duane has mentioned that her agent had dissuaded her from writing any more Trek books, arguing that doing so would be a bad career move for her at this point.)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lol nobody cares about Star Trek anymore

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Starship Mine is great for multiple reasons, but the biggest laugh is the setup for the saddle seeming like a ridiculously bullshit excuse to leave, and then it basically smash cuts to Picard literally carrying the saddle down the corridor.

It also has a lot of those great "seemingly old rear end man Picard turns into a buff action hero" moments as Picard John McClane's his way through the Enterprise.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Reeves-Stevens books could be a lot of fun. I really enjoyed a little cyberpunk in my Star Trek with Memory Prime.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

And in the Millennium trilogy they went into an alternate future and turned Star Trek into WH40K!

(Though I don't think they were involved in the DS9 video game The Fallen, which took the setup for the first novel of their trilogy and went in a wildly different direction with it. If memory serves, the script was written by David Mack, who used to be an editor for Pocket Books before he switched to writing Trek novels.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Marshal Radisic posted:

And in the Millennium trilogy they went into an alternate future and turned Star Trek into WH40K!

(Though I don't think they were involved in the DS9 video game The Fallen, which took the setup for the first novel of their trilogy and went in a wildly different direction with it. If memory serves, the script was written by David Mack, who used to be an editor for Pocket Books before he switched to writing Trek novels.)
Yeah this has happened a few times....the plot of the Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force game bears a lot of resemblance to a Voyager episode called 'The Void' from Season 7.

You also have the Trek novel called 'Control' that has a very similar premise to the 'Control' from Star Trek Discovery Season 2. I don't know if that was intentional but I feel like there had to be some influence there.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah this has happened a few times....the plot of the Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force game bears a lot of resemblance to a Voyager episode called 'The Void' from Season 7.

I'm still not over how short that game was, I was really getting into it and done, thanks for playing!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

I'm still not over how short that game was, I was really getting into it and done, thanks for playing!

For some reason I actually enjoyed Elite Force II better than I did EF1. I liked its take on post-Nemesis Starfleet weaponry, especially the phaser shotgun. That thing was baller. Also the horror level on the U.S.S. Dallas was really cool. I wish Actual Star Trek did more legit dead starship space horror stuff like that level.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Starship Mine is terrible.

Didnt Firefly basically do the same thing once?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone who likes Starship Mine forfeits their right to complain about the TNG movies turning Picard into an action character. You can still complain about any of the other stuff but not that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Anyone who likes Starship Mine forfeits their right to complain about the TNG movies turning Picard into an action character. You can still complain about any of the other stuff but not that.

Jokes on you, I love both Starship Mine AND TNG Movie Action Picard :buddy:

thotsky posted:

Starship Mine is terrible.

Didnt Firefly basically do the same thing once?

Every franchise ever has done a "Die Hard on a [...]" episode. There's an entire TV Tropes page cataloging every loving thing that has done that plotline. The entry for Star Trek alone has 14 sub bullet points to it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 21, 2021

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The best part of Starship Mine is Data as Patrick Bateman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft44j7Rx-Tk

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Rewatching Time’s Arrow cuz my girlfriend wanted to know the history of me going “Haaa, hee, harumf!” Over and over thanks to an early TNG Edit YouTube clip making fun of this.

I always thought it was Hal Holbrook doing Mark Twain in this, but that didn’t square with me remembering it was a loving terrible impression. Turns out it was the dude from the first scene of Big Trouble In Little China who interrogates Egg Shen. Whew. Holbrook’s legacy restored!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

The best part of Starship Mine is Data as Patrick Bateman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft44j7Rx-Tk

Even better is the fact that Spiner just kept going with that bit and they cut it before he gets to the actual punchline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kntMdtzG5a8

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Haven't watched Trek in a while & watched Chain of Command 1 & 2 last night. I mostly remembered it for the interrogation stuff and I never really appreciated the Enterprise-side of the story. I ended up enjoying that part of it much more this time around -- Jellico was fun to watch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

just another posted:

Haven't watched Trek in a while & watched Chain of Command 1 & 2 last night. I mostly remembered it for the interrogation stuff and I never really appreciated the Enterprise-side of the story. I ended up enjoying that part of it much more this time around -- Jellico was fun to watch.

Chain of Command is one of the few TNG two-parters that generally sticks the landing, and, yeah, Jellico was a fun foil, even if the "Jellico grudgingly asks Riker to pilot the shuttle" resolution is a little ham-fisted.

I'll always wonder who the original actor for Gul Madred was, though. It comes up in The Fifty-Year Mission that David Warner was cast only a day or two before filming began because the original actor dropped out; Warner was literally reading his lines off of cue cards, which makes his chilling performance all the more remarkable.

jeeves posted:

Rewatching Time’s Arrow cuz my girlfriend wanted to know the history of me going “Haaa, hee, harumf!” Over and over thanks to an early TNG Edit YouTube clip making fun of this.

I always thought it was Hal Holbrook doing Mark Twain in this, but that didn’t square with me remembering it was a loving terrible impression. Turns out it was the dude from the first scene of Big Trouble In Little China who interrogates Egg Shen. Whew. Holbrook’s legacy restored!

I believe this is the second time someone in this thread has thought it was Hal Holbrook in Time's Arrow. This Jerry Hardin erasure shall not be tolerated. :mad:

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 21, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

I believe this is the second time someone in this thread has thought it was Hal Holbrook in Time's Arrow. This Jerry Hardin erasure shall not be tolerated. :mad:

The first one was me, and in my defense, I did not know the “Deep Throat actor who is somehow also a Mark Twain impersonator” market had more than one person in it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Timby posted:

I'll always wonder who the original actor for Gul Madred was, though. It comes up in The Fifty-Year Mission that David Warner was cast only a day or two before filming began because the original actor dropped out; Warner was literally reading his lines off of cue cards, which makes his chilling performance all the more remarkable.

David Warner is a goddamn treasure. He's astonishingly good in the Hornblower episodes he's in. And the best thing is, he's been in loads of poo poo, so if you like trash you can get that too! He's a bit like Donald Pleasance that way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HopperUK posted:

David Warner is a goddamn treasure. He's astonishingly good in the Hornblower episodes he's in. And the best thing is, he's been in loads of poo poo, so if you like trash you can get that too! He's a bit like Donald Pleasance that way.

Yeah, Warner is very firmly in the Michael Caine / Malcolm McDowell / Eric Roberts / Michael Ironside / Ben Kingsley mold of "will do any script you hand him for three hots and a cot." And yet he never gives a truly boring performance; even when he's clearly sleepwalking, like in the Wing Commander movie, he still carries a certain presence around him that's truly engaging.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
He was adorable in that one Doctor Who episode where he played a Russian scientist. All he wanted to do was just listen to his Ultravox cassette :3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

HD DAD posted:

He was adorable in that one Doctor Who episode where he played a Russian scientist. All he wanted to do was just listen to his Ultravox cassette :3:

The most relatable character :3:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

8one6 posted:

Voyager rewatch log
S5 e13 Gravity
We get a small look at Tuvok's childhood and Lori Petty guest stars. Neat but Tom's insistence that Tuvok hook up with Nos was weird.

E14 Bliss
Voyager vs the psychic space whale.
Ehh, another "How will voyager not get home this week" episode.

E15 Dark Frontier
This is, in my opinion, the episode that really started the downward trend for the Borg. I'm not going to bother nitpicking everything I think sucks about the episode (mostly because I'm phone posting) but yeah, it's crap.

E16 The Disease
I decided to skip "Harry Kim is punished for a hookup".

This is from way back in July, but I skipped S5E16 on my first watch and watched it just now, and that about describes it. It involves a "disease" that's exactly like an intense form of lovesickness except with periodic bioluminescence, and it's full of terrible cliches that are repeated ad nauseum, and it presents this as if it's profound insight in the same vein as all the better Data/Spock/Odo/Doctor/Seven/Tuvok episodes about what it is to feel emotions.

I also skipped S5E13 "Gravity" on my first watch out of awareness of how terribly Star Trek writes love episodes, but it was mostly about Tuvok as a person struggling as a teenager and in the present with whether to let himself feel emotions, not about the relationship itself. In both of these episodes, they use Tom Paris as the voice of "what it is to be human" and a device to try to get a character to provide exposition about what he's feeling. It's especially annoying in this one because for some reason he won't leave Tuvok the gently caress alone when he says that he doesn't want to be in a relationship because he's married, and he keeps pestering him to try to get the "true" reason. Otherwise, Tuvok episodes are always some of Voyager's best.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Don’t skip any and experience full bij!