Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I'm just a bit confused regarding the Dan stuff.

Are we seriously treating the evidence provided by a subreddit which unironically thinks Jon should come back on the show, that says creepy and sexist poo poo all the time as reliable narrators? With the person posting the evidence having a history of sharing those views in their reddit posts? I honestly ask any one of you to go onto that rantgrumps subreddit and tell me it isn't full of MRA/Incel types gunning for Arin and Dan because they're too "woke" for them after removing Jon.

The only evidence we really have is the video, which could have been sent to anyone and Dan doesn't use social media platforms at all, he and Arin have discussed this many times on the show about how out of touch he is with social media.

If it turns out he was grooming her, yeah go for it. But there are so many red flags about where it was posted and by who, I just can't take it seriously. Just maybe wait for more information before jumping the gun on this one guys, the informants are not reliable or trustworthy in anyway, they've proven that consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Asuron posted:

I'm just a bit confused regarding the Dan stuff.

Are we seriously treating the evidence provided by a subreddit which unironically thinks Jon should come back on the show, that says creepy and sexist poo poo all the time as reliable narrators? With the person posting the evidence having a history of sharing those views in their reddit posts? I honestly ask any one of you to go onto that rantgrumps subreddit and tell me it isn't full of MRA/Incel types gunning for Arin and Dan because they're too "woke" for them after removing Jon.

The only evidence we really have is the video, which could have been sent to anyone and Dan doesn't use social media platforms at all, he and Arin have discussed this many times on the show about how out of touch he is with social media.

If it turns out he was grooming her, yeah go for it. But there are so many red flags about where it was posted and by who, I just can't take it seriously. Just maybe wait for more information before jumping the gun on this one guys, the informants are not reliable or trustworthy in anyway, they've proven that consistently.

the person in question has been talking about this for a while so either call her a liar making this up or don't but don't do this dumb 'it's on the bad subreddit though!' act

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

believe women.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Rantgrumps also gets a good chunk of its information from Kiwifarms for what it's worth.

Rantgrumps basically IS Kiwifarms but GG-specific.

sexpig by night posted:

the person in question has been talking about this for a while so either call her a liar making this up or don't but don't do this dumb 'it's on the bad subreddit though!' act

Rantgrumps is not merely "just a bad subreddit."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

There have been tons of creators who say poo poo like 'I loving hate when I find out tinder dates are fans of my stuff because it feels so awkward' so while 'power imbalance' is clumsy wording the idea that not everyone feels comfortable loving their fans isn't some crazy idea.
Steve from Blue’s Clues recalled a time when he took a date home, and she requested they have sex in the thinking chair from the show (he got it as a gift when he left the show). Needless to say, the date did not go well.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Asuron posted:

What does "jumping the gun" entail? It's not like we're throwing the guy in jail. I'm just not going to watch his videos anymore. Who cares if the jury's still out?

Like, you say "go for it." Go for what?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
tbh I wasn't surprised when the whole 'believe women unless they accuse democrats' thing happened but I am a little shocked to see it applied to the guy who makes video game dick jokes

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I did not take that post to mean that it was breaking that news or that it was the place the person originally posted that stuff, but that subreddit is extremely bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pants Donkey posted:

Steve from Blue’s Clues recalled a time when he took a date home, and she requested they have sex in the thinking chair from the show (he got it as a gift when he left the show). Needless to say, the date did not go well.

'ma'am that is my THINKING chair not my loving chair'

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hopefully he’s still living in an era where the people who hit on him are single moms who remember the show and not adults who grew up with it, but I guess it was about 20 years ago now.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I don't care that he ghosted her it would still be grooming if they kept in contact for 5 years and then started dating.

Also Danny being 42 doesn't matter because it's not about how much older than like 21? you are it's about knowing you don't groom people and especially not fans.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Ariong posted:

What does "jumping the gun" entail? It's not like we're throwing the guy in jail. I'm just not going to watch his videos anymore. Who cares if the jury's still out?

Like, you say "go for it." Go for what?

Maybe don't make that decision to stop consuming his content if you know the information came from what is basically a MRA/Incel forum and base it around that? Especially if you like said content? I dunno that doesn't seem unreasonable to me to wait and see, given that he has had no history of anything like this and people having nothing but good things to say about him.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
That's the thing. We don't know if they kept in contact or not. There's an innocuous text from when she was 17 and the sexual one from when she was 22. That's it. We have no idea what happened in between that time period.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

tbh I wasn't surprised when the whole 'believe women unless they accuse democrats' thing happened but I am a little shocked to see it applied to the guy who makes video game dick jokes

Why are you surprised?

Anyway, I think what's really happening here is everyone is getting angry about the proper way to define a sleazoid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Asuron posted:

Maybe don't make athatdecision to stop consuming his content if you know the information came from what is basically a MRA/Incel forum? Especially if you like said content? I dunno that doesn't seem unreasonable to me to wait and see, given that he has had no history of anything like this and people having nothing but good things to say about him.

so just to be clear do I HAVE to keep watching Game Grumps or it's loving cancel culture or whatever weird poo poo you're dancing around?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

That's the thing. We don't know if they kept in contact or not. There's an innocuous text from when she was 17 and the sexual one from when she was 22. That's it. We have no idea what happened in between that time period.

I don't know if you genuinely think 'no see I just didn't talk to her for four years THEN decided to send her a video saying I wanna gently caress her in this tacky tub' is a better option or...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Asuron posted:

Maybe don't make that decision to stop consuming his content if you know the information came from what is basically a MRA/Incel forum and base it around that? Especially if you like said content? I dunno that doesn't seem unreasonable to me to wait and see, given that he has had no history of anything like this and people having nothing but good things to say about him.

Maybe step away from the keyboard and take a minute or two to really think if it's worth it to berate somebody online for making a decision that has zero impact on anybody but themselves because they've chosen to believe allegations that you don't.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Why are you surprised?

I dunno really I guess I figured that in the grand scale of 'we can't believe THIS woman, he's just to important to hold accountable!' a dude who's main creative output is 80's covers, dick jokes, and yelling at Megaman would be low enough on the list that the basic concept of poo poo like metoo could survive in some form but welp

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

so just to be clear do I HAVE to keep watching Game Grumps or it's loving cancel culture or whatever weird poo poo you're dancing around?

I don't know if you genuinely think 'no see I just didn't talk to her for four years THEN decided to send her a video saying I wanna gently caress her in this tacky tub' is a better option or...

Having your content consumed is a human right! /s

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

You are allowed to not watch a youtube man if you think he did a sex crime, imo

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Asuron posted:

Why do you care whether or not I keep consuming his content?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No thoughts
Head empty
Only One Piece theme

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rockit posted:

Having your content consumed is a human right! /s

fuckin sucks that I legally have to keep consuming every artist who I later decided was a shithead in some way, I try to do work but I've got to watch all these James Woods movies and listen to the complete R-Kelly discography every day....

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Augus posted:

No thoughts
Head empty
Only One Piece theme

mentally I want to be here

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I just wish people would stop posting their evidence on future mass-shooter forums. Other than that, horrible and I want to be shot in the back a dozen times.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

You don't have to do anything?

I'm saying don't make judgements based off of information from really lovely places, but if you want to do that go ahead. I'm not talking about dumb poo poo like cancel culture, don't project that onto me when it's clear that's not what I'm saying.

What I am actually saying is the place it came from is full of the very kind of people you are mad at and they in turn are mad at Arin/Dan for being too "woke" and have been posting toxic lies about for them years. I would recommend waiting until it comes from another place is the only thing I am saying, not that he didn't groom anyone.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Augus posted:

No thoughts
Head empty
Only One Piece theme

Jamie please

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Don't worry. I don't think anyone's arguing against that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SgWum9kHYk

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

I dunno really I guess I figured that in the grand scale of 'we can't believe THIS woman, he's just to important to hold accountable!' a dude who's main creative output is 80's covers, dick jokes, and yelling at Megaman would be low enough on the list that the basic concept of poo poo like metoo could survive in some form but welp

It’s not just about importance but also about “Bad people getting a win” regardless of scale.

That’s basically how that one anime voice managed to get defenders. You wouldn’t want the SJW to win...right?

Rockit fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 22, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Asuron posted:

You don't have to do anything?

I'm saying don't make judgements based off of information from really lovely places, but if you want to do that go ahead. I'm not talking about dumb poo poo like cancel culture, don't project that onto me when it's clear that's not what I'm saying.

What I am actually saying is the place it came from is full of the very kind of people you are mad at and they in turn are mad at Arin/Dan for being too "woke" and have been posting toxic lies about for them years. I would recommend waiting until it comes from another place is the only thing I am saying, not that he didn't groom anyone.

again the complaint is from someone who's not attached to them who has been talking about it for a few days now, so either call her a liar who's part of the anti-dan conspiracy or shut up with this distraction bullshit

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yardbomb posted:

I just wish people would stop posting their evidence on future mass-shooter forums. Other than that, horrible and I want to be shot in the back a dozen times.

I mean let's be honest, if that person had posted their story and evidence on the regular Game Grumps reddit they would have most likely been downvoted and yelled at to oblivion by stans of the show. A whole component of these allegations is that this has been something that's been known for a while, but gets drowned out due to GG's popularity and Dan's general likeability.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

I mean let's be honest, if that person had posted their story and evidence on the regular Game Grumps reddit they would have most likely been downvoted and yelled at to oblivion by stans of the show. A whole component of these allegations is that this has been something that's been known for a while, but gets drowned out due to GG's popularity and Dan's general likeability.

yea another element to this is apparently GG has been AGGRESSIVELY deleting any comments about this on their social media vids and all

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

It's probably a bit like the weird moments where the National Enquirer actually breaks a big story. If you're looking for someone who will post and signal boost your post, you might have to look in weird places (or weird places might grab it). Especially if it's true that past rumors got hushed up by the usual people who'd care.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well, not until we change this Congress around.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Augus posted:

No thoughts
Head empty
Only One Piece theme

Junpei Hyde posted:

Jamie please

There once was a man named Gold Roger, who was King of the Pirates

He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams!

Before they hung him from the gallows, these were the final words he said:

"My fortune is yours for the taking, but you'll have to find it first
I left everything I own in One Piece..."

Ever since, pirates from all over the world set sail for the Grand Line, searching for One Piece;

The treasure that would make their dreams come true!

YO!
Ya-yo, ya-yo!

Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Luffy!
Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Zolo!
Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Nami!
Dreamin'!
Don't give it, give it up, give it up, give it up
Give it up, give it up, give it up, give it UP!

Here's how the story goes, we find out
'bout a treasure in the Grand Line, there's no doubt
The pirate whose eye is on it, he'll sing
I'll be King of the Pirates, I'm gonna be King!

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo... oh-ho!

His name is Luffy!
That's Monkey D. Luffy!
Gonna be king of the pirates!
He's made of rubber!
How did that happen?
Yo-ho-ho, he took a bite of Gum Gum!

Ya-yo, ya-yo!

His name's Zolo, he's just like a samurai
And a L-A-D-Y, Nami's not shy
Usopp's doin' that marksman thing
Sanji's cookin', Chopper's doctoring!

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo, oh-ho!

Set sail for One Piece!
It's the name of the treasure
In the Grand Line!
Ya-yo, ya-yo...

Set sail for ONE PIECE!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Sydin posted:

This is also a strong possibility!

sexpig by night posted:

yea another element to this is apparently GG has been AGGRESSIVELY deleting any comments about this on their social media vids and all

Also pretty damning.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I mean I get not wanting a flood of comments saying 'hey doesn't Dan try to gently caress young fans' on their vids but the way you deal with that is...addressing the accusation, not just slamming delete.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

they'll release a statement within the day on this and it's only going to make things worse for them

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sydin posted:

No I know, that also sucks real bad, I wish there was somewhere that it wouldn't be quickly modded under the rug but also a place that's not dedicated to being insane stalker incels or all that KF type poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BFC posted:

I don't care that he ghosted her it would still be grooming if they kept in contact for 5 years and then started dating.

Also Danny being 42 doesn't matter because it's not about how much older than like 21? you are it's about knowing you don't groom people and especially not fans.

Personally I'd say it's about 24-25 before you can comfortably stop giving a poo poo about the age difference in a relationship between two people. The early twenties are a developmental time for still doing dumb poo poo and learning how to be a functional independent adult.

And yes it's not about when it happens, it's about when it starts. If you have two 22-year-old women, and one of them's been in contact with Celebrity A for several years, which one's more likely to jump on a sexual proposition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

No I know, that also sucks real bad, I wish there was somewhere that it wouldn't be quickly modded under the rug but also a place that's not dedicated to being insane stalker incels or all that KF type poo poo.

Oh no, that place is definitely a snake pit.