Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gripweed posted:

I see two possible explanations.

The more charitable one is that they believe as you do that nobody wants a series about a hero who gets big. That is obviously unsupported by anything, because they haven't tried it. So maybe it's just an old prejudice from some old executive, like maybe Stan Lee thought nobody wanted a series about a guy who gets big, and that just became part of Marvel common sense. Or maybe it's like how up until recently toy companies didn't do toys of female characters because one focus group of like ten kids in the 80s showed that boys didn't want to buy toys of female characters.

The other explanation is that they don't want to give comic book readers a series about a hero who gets big.

No it's because however wide a net superhero comics cast there's still a formula to them and a lot that formula doesn't work with a giant hero story. Every issue would have to either happen in and destroy a city or in some nondescript random nowhere like happens in every episode of Power Rangers. That audience likes that I guess, a comic audience isn't looking for that in a comic. If every issue is a giant battle in a city I would lose interest quick. And what else can a giant hero do?

Gripweed posted:

Does the Hulk have a rogues gallery made up only of strong villains? Does the Hulk never fight other hero's villains because he could just immediately kill them with a single punch?

I don't read or watch Ultraman but what does Ultraman do when he grows big? He has a lumbering giant fight with a monster? OK. Great. Let's do that 12 months a year and see how many don't get tired of it. I guarantee you not enough of an audience for Marvel Comics to keep pushing out the book. You've already said yourself he barely grows big in his new comic. That's because the audience reading an American superhero comic is looking for something more than a giant fight against a monster every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The big man superhero series already exists just go watch Ultraman

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I am a micronaut so in my opinion Marvel in fact has way too many series about giant superheroes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

he already watches ultraman, but now he wants to read ultraman but in marvel comics, but not the ultraman series that marvel comics is currently producing because its not ultraman enough

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

Somewhere vulpes is weeping

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

No it's because however wide a net superhero comics cast there's still a formula to them and a lot that formula doesn't work with a giant hero story. Every issue would have to either happen in and destroy a city or in some nondescript random nowhere like happens in every episode of Power Rangers. That audience likes that I guess, a comic audience isn't looking for that in a comic. If every issue is a giant battle in a city I would lose interest quick. And what else can a giant hero do?

All of the Marvel people who get big can control how big they get! There's no reason for every story to be a full on Godzilla size fight! They can be ten feet tall or twenty feet tall or 30 feet tall! And I'm no an expert on superhero comics, but I believe that not every single issue of a super hero comic is a one v one punchup. Other kinds of conflict and action happen sometimes

X-O posted:

I don't read or watch Ultraman but what does Ultraman do when he grows big? He has a lumbering giant fight with a monster? OK. Great. Let's do that 12 months a year and see how many don't get tired of it. I guarantee you not enough of an audience for Marvel Comics to keep pushing out the book. You've already said yourself he barely grows big in his new comic. That's because the audience reading an American superhero comic is looking for something more than a giant fight against a monster every month.

I would believe that Ultraman not getting big was a smart business move on Marvel's part, if there were any non-Ultraman fans reading it and being like, yes, I like this, I was worried that it would just be Ultraman getting big all the time, but he rarely gets big so I am happy. As far as I know that's not happening. They are not adding appeal to Ultraman by keeping him small.

You are further strengthening my point, every argument you come up with to defend Marvel's anti-big hero policy is instantly destroyed under the lightest scrutiny. There is no logical reason for Marvel to deny the world solo series about superheros who get big. So it's either a faulty reconceived notion like you have, or there's something nefarious at work.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

e: this was too much

Alaois fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 22, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gripweed posted:

So it's either a faulty reconceived notion like you have, or there's something nefarious at work.

Yes, Big Non Big Hero is definitely at work here lobbying in the background.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alaois posted:

he already watches ultraman, but now he wants to read ultraman but in marvel comics, but not the ultraman series that marvel comics is currently producing because its not ultraman enough

My problem with the Ultraman comic is not that it's not Ultraman enough. My problem with the Ultraman comic is that it's very very bad. If it was completely different from Ultraman but in its own way good, I would like it. Like that other Ultraman-inspired series that just started, Ultra Mega. It is "Ultraman-inspired" in as such as the creator apparently once saw a picture of Ultraman and thought he looked cool, and is other wise completely unrelated to Ultraman. But the first issue was good and I want to keep reading it. The Ultraman manga is very different from the Ultraman show, and coincidentally also doesn't have Ultraman getting big, but I still like it because it's doing it's own thing well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

I was kinda intending this whole to be a joke about anti-big hero, and we'd all be like, "Yeah a Stature comic would be cool, it's weird that they haven't done something like that" and then you'd all get back to talking about King Venom or whatever. I was not expecting to come up against genuine anti-big hero bias.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bottom line is that the very premise of big hero is just a limiting factor for a lot of the conventions of American superhero comics. I guarantee it can be done well by someone but it's not something that anyone is really clamoring for at the moment. I imagine that Stature is much more likely to get some kind of solo run now that she's Stinger because it's just something that fits the formula better.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Are people seriously struggling with the idea of a fan of something struggling through bad poo poo in the hopes of finding something good?

Are we not comic fans?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

What are Transformers if not big superheroes that can turn into differently shaped big superheroes?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

Bottom line is that the very premise of big hero is just a limiting factor for a lot of the conventions of American superhero comics. I guarantee it can be done well by someone but it's not something that anyone is really clamoring for at the moment. I imagine that Stature is much more likely to get some kind of solo run now that she's Stinger because it's just something that fits the formula better.

I just don't think it's really that big of an issue. You'd have to have different challenges for a big hero to overcome than like Batman or Spider-Man, but that's also true for a guy who can make anything he can think of out of light or a guy who can lift a train and fly and shoot lasers out of his eyes. If the real reason Marvel never did a Goliath or Giant Man or Stature series is because they thought it would be too hard to come up with things for a big superhero to do on their own then I'm sorry, but I think they're just being

small-minded

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nilbop posted:

Are we not comic fans?

I mean, I know I am, but I don't think Gripweed is.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Big Non Big Hero

Now that's a monthly I'd read

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

has marvel ever done a volleyball comic book? if not, why not??

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I just don't think it's really that big of an issue. You'd have to have different challenges for a big hero to overcome than like Batman or Spider-Man, but that's also true for a guy who can make anything he can think of out of light or a guy who can lift a train and fly and shoot lasers out of his eyes. If the real reason Marvel never did a Goliath or Giant Man or Stature series is because they thought it would be too hard to come up with things for a big superhero to do on their own then I'm sorry, but I think they're just being

small-minded

There was a Black Goliath solo series in the mid-70s but it only lasted six issues and he didn't do much interesting stuff with his powers in it. I remember that in one issue he fights Stilt Man and loses which is pretty ignominious.

I do wonder why big-hero stuff seems to mix so poorly with conventional superhero stuff. Kid Kaiju was kind of a bust and Red Ronin/Godzilla stuff has always kind of been on the periphery. I'm not sure. I know that when I imagine the pitch "this guy gets huge" I'm not very interested but I don't really know why. Although now that I think about it I think there should be at least one mutant on Krakoa who is just enormous all the time and like his boot shoes up in group shots or when we pan out to see the island we can see his, like, hand sprawling out of the woods.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gripweed posted:

I know Marvel has a bunch of heroes that get big. Giant-Man, Goliath, Stature. But they seem like they're always on teams. Have any of them every gotten their own series about getting big to stop crime?

BIG in comics is something that seems to have trouble working, probably just due to the deadlines involved. Scale requires lots of detail, and even talented artists have trouble with it. There's a reason that there isn't a ton of beloved giant robot manga in Japan despite... giant robots, manga, and Japan being what they are to each other.

Meanwhile, big works pretty well on weekly kids TV because it's fun to see guys dressed in weird outfits stomp around miniature sets, especially when it's shot with a bit of expertise. I'm sure there are artists out there who could crack the formula on how to do consistent striking action that plays with scale, but there's not exactly a ton of incentive for them to, is there?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Here, I have invented a new giant hero for us all to enjoy. His name is Big Super Samuel and I believe he is the biggest hero yet. I hope this demonstrates that BSS at least is a welcoming zone for huge hunks and other large beings.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

do you want to attract cabbagepots

because this is how you attract cabbagepots

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Alaois posted:

do you want to attract cabbagepots

because this is how you attract cabbagepots

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
someone get the subforum name changed right now

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How about instead of heroes that grow, Marvel just gives their existing heroes giant mech suits, and have some hack write it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

Here, I have invented a new giant hero for us all to enjoy. His name is Big Super Samuel and I believe he is the biggest hero yet. I hope this demonstrates that BSS at least is a welcoming zone for huge hunks and other large beings.

You can't fool me that's just the King of All Cosmos' distant cousin

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
I’m in the big superhero camp. Surely Ewing could have put one in Guardians. Going to read that Goliath series. His kid should get one.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'm admittedly super casual when it comes to how many comics I read but like, the last batch of Ultraman episodes I watched included a story where one of the supporting character's younger bother gets involved in a rugby game against a syndicate of alien criminals after he unwittingly starts rooming with another group of aliens that just want to chill out on earth when he runs away from his college team after screwing up a game, and another where a monster that's being treated as a tourist trap starts to go wild after the people misunderstand that it's in the "wind down" part of Its lifecycle before it turns into a mountain as it being unwell and giving it a shot that it doesn't need

So like, there can be more to giant hero stories than just "big guy punches other big things." Maybe those things are less interesting when conveyed as sequential art than as live action special effects, but the idea that it has to be so simple conceptually seems weird to me

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Finally we awaken to comics' Anti-Big Agenda

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Anti-Big Agenda

It's finally time we put Tom Hanks in his place

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
OK well the Goliath series. BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT, TRUE BELIEVERS! And we're demanding it again.

Issue 1 is written by Tony Isabella, and 2-5 by Chris Claremont apparently!

Hey, here's a big hero thing I didn't think of:

He tears the top off a fire hydrant and absolutely sprays some mugs.

My lord, the Stilt-Man has become MASSIVE.

OK, I've never heard that word in my life. Susurration: whispering or rustling; "the susurration of the river".

Honestly the art is decent, as are the giant feats.

He tears up the floor to deflect a Deadly Radiation Blast and trip up the Atom Smasher!

Thank god that tire was filled to the loving max.

The book really hits its peak in 4/5, mostly 5, which is a shame. It's a little annoying that the artist likes to switch POV every panel, there's some messed up perspective which is bad with a Giant Man, and obviously it's filled to the brim with text (Claremont), but it was decent. I'd like to have seen Goliath winning some more with another 2 or 3 issues. There's a Marvel Essentials Giant Man with Black Goliath 1-5 in it, so I assume the other stories have Giant Men. Hopefully it's mostly on unlimited (Black Goliath is).

edit: the rest of the essentials book is ant-man

Quotey fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 22, 2021

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

As a huge Giant Man fan, the problem with big heroes is that somewhere along the way they invented Super Strength. :smith:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Quotey posted:

I’m in the big superhero camp. Surely Ewing could have put one in Guardians.

Yeah, Ewing made Galactus into a good guy, and how much bigger can you get than Galactus?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Over half a century later, superhero comics still haven't addressed the biggest issues facing us as a society re: representation and discrimination. Very concerning.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's no big person comics because as we know from decades of WWF, WCW, WWE, and AEW trying to get Andre the Giant, The Giant, The Big Show, Shaquille O'Neal, and Paul Wight over, it's simply impossible. Big people are not capable of doing anything more than not getting hurt by tiny wimps like Hulk Hogan, John Cena, and Cody Rhodes and shoving them over, or occasionally picking them up and dropping them, or at most using a devastatingly powerful punch. Also, it is a fact that no one likes big people, which is why they are always booed, and even when they try to be nice, they eventually stop being nice again and start getting real big. In fact, the only way someone can defeat a big person is to harness the power of 5 million Hulkamaniacs to supercharge their power or to trick them into getting beaten by their size so they step or fall through tables, which does not work when you are writing a comic about the hero who is expected to win by the end of the comic.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 22, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OnimaruXLR posted:

BIG in comics is something that seems to have trouble working, probably just due to the deadlines involved. Scale requires lots of detail, and even talented artists have trouble with it. There's a reason that there isn't a ton of beloved giant robot manga in Japan despite... giant robots, manga, and Japan being what they are to each other.

There is a ton of mecha manga, though? Going back to the beginning, Giant Robo, Getter Robo, and Mazinger Z started as manga series, and even now Gundam alone has enough manga coming out to fill a giant monthly manga magazine. Most of it doesn't get to America, maybe because even American manga licensors believe that American comic readers can't accept big things.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

X-O posted:

Big Small

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think that's just a scale issue. Japan is 1/20th the area so the robots seem bigger. in America they're just another terrain feature.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Wr can't have big person comics because Mark Miller blew 3 of them up with missiles and killed the big man comic hero in that instant.

Edit: millat also blew a hole through bill's chest with lightning. I'm convinced he killed stature too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Giant robots aren't really a good analogy because they are either fighting other giant robots or giant monsters, since that's how those universes are set up. Most Marvel villains are NOT giants, so writers either have to create a bunch of new giant villains to fight, or you have a giant beating up normal sized people, which is not a particularly heroic action. Having Captain Gundam use their giant robot to fight random people would be really dumb and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the first couple issues where Hank Pym is Giant Man rule because most of the conflict is him thinking like "didn't count on -- sucking so bad -- at standing up" and then getting really dizzy and bonking his head