Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Reincarnation chat: I believe most religions that believe in reincarnation hold that you can be reborn as at least hundreds of different animals, or literally any living thing on Earth, depending on the religion. So you're much more likely to spend most of you existence as an ant or krill or something. If anything, Marie Antionette's soul is probably residing in a nematode somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Bismuth posted:

Im literally not saying that, i'm not saying she should appear in a way shes uncomfortable with or that she is wrong in any way, i'm just surprised that it seems like she didnt see this coming.

I'm a woman thats been online since I was 12, i know what its like, I'm saying being surprised at men being gross online is like being surprised someone wearing a nazi uniform has racist opinions. All of them should be ashamed of themselves and possibly punched in the teeth, but its never a surprise. The fact is that even if it was just her voice appearing men online would be weird about it, they get weird about everything they can even vaguely interpret as female.

I interpreted it as surprise but it might not be, I dont think she could have been any less provocative in her original appearance or the new one, but I worry it might draw even more attention to her now from people who werent even thirsting before but will be lovely now just to stick it to her, because people online are lovely like that, especially the "own the libs/feminists" types

The fact of the matter is that Something Awful posters are, by and large, outliers. We are Extremely Online compared to the vast majority of the population, and because of that, we've been able to observe the patterns of behavior in particular groups of people. (Hell, until recent memory Something Awful posters were one of those groups of people.) This actress has, perhaps, not been online for most of her life, and has not been exposed to the gross behavior that men who believe they're anonymous - and some men who know they're not and get off on the exposure - engage in. Regardless: it is not fair to judge others' reactions by your personal experience.

And even setting that aside, I don't see surprise in her tone. She saw responses to the ads she was in, she didn't like some of them, and she took action to minimize the reactions she didn't like. All of these are the actions of a rational person acting rationally.

But back to my initial point: you say "[men behaving gross online] should be ashamed of themselves and possibly punched in the teeth, but its never a surprise." I tend to agree with you that it's not a surprise that men will be gross online. The problem is that you're criticizing the woman they're being gross at for not expecting them to be gross and starting her behavior from that point. Men are not a force of nature; they are not the tide or the wind or the rain. When men are gross online, and women are caught off guard, blame the men. Don't look down on the women for hoping for a better existence.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I thought it was a really weirdly worded Tweet, the phrasing of "a privilege" that she's "taking away" from weird horny men, like they're children and her body's a toy, that they can have, as long as they use it right?

I dunno, obviously the reply guys and inevitable horny weirdos are in the wrong, but I think she would have worded that Tweet a lot better, like "stop being gross fucks."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bismuth posted:

did she think she would be the first and only conventionally attractive woman on film that would be exempt from that treatment

more like Buttsmuth.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Elviscat posted:

I thought it was a really weirdly worded Tweet, the phrasing of "a privilege" that she's "taking away" from weird horny men, like they're children and her body's a toy, that they can have, as long as they use it right?

I dunno, obviously the reply guys and inevitable horny weirdos are in the wrong, but I think she would have worded that Tweet a lot better, like "stop being gross fucks."

I think it's a way of taking ownership of her body back. Like she's establishing that it's hers and she gets to decide if/when she wants to be sexualized, they don't.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Bismuth posted:

Im literally not saying that, i'm not saying she should appear in a way shes uncomfortable with or that she is wrong in any way, i'm just surprised that it seems like she didnt see this coming.

I'm a woman thats been online since I was 12, i know what its like, I'm saying being surprised at men being gross online is like being surprised someone wearing a nazi uniform has racist opinions. All of them should be ashamed of themselves and possibly punched in the teeth, but its never a surprise. The fact is that even if it was just her voice appearing men online would be weird about it, they get weird about everything they can even vaguely interpret as female.

I interpreted it as surprise but it might not be, I dont think she could have been any less provocative in her original appearance or the new one, but I worry it might draw even more attention to her now from people who werent even thirsting before but will be lovely now just to stick it to her, because people online are lovely like that, especially the "own the libs/feminists" types

Keep in mind her job probably doesn't allow her to react too much to these creeps. Polite disapproval is likely the most she's allowed to do, because they don't want the face behind their advertising tell people to gently caress off.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Hugh Felpuf
Jake Arowling

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Soylent Pudding posted:

A psychologist helping patients deal with the trauma of getting horribly murdered in a past life feels like a cool sci fi premise.
This is loosely the plot of the comic Spirit Circle. Two souls gets caught up in eternal hatred, and ruin each other every time their incarnations meet. The protagonist knows that for whatever reason, this is their final incarnation; either they accept each other, or destroy each other so utterly that nothing will remain.

He's trying to untangle generations of murdered selves, and broker some kind of peace.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
She should stop appearing in AT&T commercials altogether because she's instead finally getting to star as Squirrel Girl.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Cloacamazing! posted:

Keep in mind her job probably doesn't allow her to react too much to these creeps. Polite disapproval is likely the most she's allowed to do, because they don't want the face behind their advertising tell people to gently caress off.

real social progress will be made when companies allow minority employees to tell people to get hosed straight up instead of being reticent about it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I remember watching stuff like the simpsons, how i met your mother, all the american shows really, back in the day. Constant cuts to black every few minutes, breaking up the flow of the narrative, for no apparent reason.

Then I moved to Florida for a while and realised that every single one of those cuts to black were there so they could cram a commercial in there. A 20 minute simpsons episode turns into 40 minutes of actual hell. Here, I'm pretty sure there are laws against putting more than one commercial break in an episode.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Biplane posted:

I remember watching stuff like the simpsons, how i met your mother, all the american shows really, back in the day. Constant cuts to black every few minutes, breaking up the flow of the narrative, for no apparent reason.

Then I moved to Florida for a while and realised that every single one of those cuts to black were there so they could cram a commercial in there. A 20 minute simpsons episode turns into 40 minutes of actual hell. Here, I'm pretty sure there are laws against putting more than one commercial break in an episode.

It's something like 21-22 minutes padded to 30. And it slowly gets worse over time. A few shows even go over 1/3 ads. There's very good reason to never touch live TV.

Your profile says norway, the rule there is max 9 minutes per hour, that seems like a good policy.

The UK overcomplicates things but there's a limit of 8 minutes per hour in prime time, also good. And no ads on the BBC.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cloacamazing! posted:

Hugh Felpuf
Jake Arowling

Beau Baton

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Biplane posted:

I don't know about Florida or where you're from originally*, but in my neck of the woods they're pretty strict about keeping 22 minute episodes in half hour blocks. Still bad but that's only 8 minutes for a full length episode.

*If you're from another country I'm very sorry that your first experience with the U.S. is Florida

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Australia is still the worse place I've ever visited for ads. They increase the frequency of the ads as the show goes on. It's especially infuriating while watching something longer like a film where it completely ruins the ending.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The only television I've watched in the US was a football game running in the background in some diner in Florida. I ended up taking time on it and came out to four seconds of action a minute, with the rest of the time being commercials, talking about sponsors, and anchors shooting the poo poo. I've always assumed all American TV works like that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think it's just football that works like that, because 'bursts of action followed by everyone lining back up again' is kind of the sport itself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, you can't avoid having dead air you need to fill out if you're showing it live, but I still prefer to think it's just national insanity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it's just football that works like that, because 'bursts of action followed by everyone lining back up again' is kind of the sport itself.

It takes them 3 hours to play 60 minutes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Skwirl posted:

It takes them 3 hours to play 60 minutes.
Yeah, I mean, say what you want about soccer, but at least 90% of the playtime consists of the game actually being played.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I mean, say what you want about soccer, but at least 90% of the playtime consists of the game actually being played.

Yeah, but NFL games never end in a loving 0-0 tie.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I didn't say it's not a boring game, just that it's one that at least happens.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Some of the discovery shows are unwatchable in the U.K., they recap after every advert break but we only get a few or no adverts so it feels like you are watching a record skip

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

I don't know about Florida or where you're from originally*, but in my neck of the woods they're pretty strict about keeping 22 minute episodes in half hour blocks. Still bad but that's only 8 minutes for a full length episode.

*If you're from another country I'm very sorry that your first experience with the U.S. is Florida

I'm norwegian and went to work at EPCOT. It was pretty cool really, 20,000~ young, pretty, relatively well funded 18-25 year olds crammed into terrible disney owned apartments. Or maybe they were renting them from another disney owned company, the level of grift was staggering. Anyway all we did was drink, do drugs, have sex, and work, often at the same time.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

learnincurve posted:

Some of the discovery shows are unwatchable in the U.K., they recap after every advert break but we only get a few or no adverts so it feels like you are watching a record skip

It really doesn't work when there aren't any adverts and they do the whole cliffhanger discovery thing, and then they spend 3 minutes recapping what the cliffhanger was right after the break that didn't happen

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

So what?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Kinda defeats the idea of competitive sports

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

In american way, there has to be a loser to be nationally mocked

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Aka the Cleveland Browns

also while soccer may have a lot of "action" that action is just long stretches of dudes running up and down the field. It's like basketball but the court is really big and most of the time no one tries for a basket.

Scratch Monkey has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Mar 22, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Handegg am I rite

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Deptfordx posted:

Australia is still the worse place I've ever visited for ads. They increase the frequency of the ads as the show goes on. It's especially infuriating while watching something longer like a film where it completely ruins the ending.

Some of the primetime aussie TV shows are insane for this, like 3-5 minutes straight of ads and then theres a bunch of unsubtle product placement in the show as well

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember FM radio in the US becoming loving absurd in the late 90s, just blocks of ads that would last twenty minutes at a time, to the point that other stations started advertising "Fifteen minutes of commercial-free music!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will say that the US half-hour 3-commercial-breaks format has driven creativity. It's not really that the commercial breaks just pop in at random times breaking up the flow of the narrative; rather, the shows have grown around the format and use them as scene breaks and punctuation.

Every medium has its own constraints that inform how the narrative works. Comic books have big two-page spreads that can be used for huge establishing shots, or page-turns can emphasize scene changes or dramatic turns. Movies do cool narrative things with titles and credits sequences (and pre- and post-). And so on.

Even now with the Netflix binge-a-season format, the shows themselves are doing creative things around the limitations and capabilities of the platform, like Bojack Horseman hiding easter eggs in the menus.

Not trying to defend the commercials or their frequency on American TV in general, it's execrable. But I've alway been interested in how the shows have often been able to make lemonade out of those lemons.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

Kinda defeats the idea of competitive sports

What

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Deptfordx posted:

I actually didn't know that, but it makes so much sense. I was in hospital recently, which meant I had a lot of TV-watching while I previously get none,I was stunned with how many ads I saw.

I wasn't even watching popular TV! I was watching, like, Everybody Loves Raymond reruns!

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Cloacamazing! posted:

Hugh Felpuf
Jake Arowling

Reid Anothabuk

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Cleretic posted:

I actually didn't know that, but it makes so much sense. I was in hospital recently, which meant I had a lot of TV-watching while I previously get none,I was stunned with how many ads I saw.

I wasn't even watching popular TV! I was watching, like, Everybody Loves Raymond reruns!

I feel the same too with Indonesian media. I think it's universal, ads always felt too long.

I did try to time it once. For the majority of the show's running time, there are ~700 seconds of ads for every 1500 seconds of show, so 20 minutes of show, then 10 minutes of ads. When nearing the end there are ~600 seconds of ads for every ~600 seconds of show, so it does feel like the ads are getting longer. This is for one show in one channel, though.

toanoradian has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Mar 22, 2021

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
As a sports fan I'm begging everyone to not have the "my sport is good and yours is bad" discussion because it's really stupid. All sports can be enjoyable.

Except golf.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The only channel I truly cannot stand ads on is the Paramount Network. Not only do they seem to play double the amount of ads of other networks, they only play ads for their own shows. And since they have so few shows overall, you will see the same ads over and over and over ad nauseum.

If they have a decent movie on, you're going to see the same ad 20 times for Bar Rescue, some Tattoo show, and... no, that's pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

mtv keeps like three commercials in rotation tops