Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grand Fromage posted:

There's never been a full on official canon map of the galaxy. However all the semi-canon maps are broadly like this one:

And some of the on-screen maps, like the one in first season Disco, are fairly similar to this one.

They're always pretty loose with the alpha/beta quadrant designations, but I think they have said that Sol is the border, the Federation stretches across both, and the Romulans and Klingons are mainly in the beta quad.

Is that the map from the TNG board game? I'm not talking about the VCR one that gave us the Experience Bij meme, I swear there was another one that had, like, crayons and you had to answer trivia questions and it was completely undecipherable to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's the map from google image search as far as I know.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Nah, it’s from the Star Trek Starcharts book that came out around ~03. I know this because I’m staring shamefully at my copy right now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

sunday at work posted:

T-2: No fate, the future is what we make it.

Joe Dirt: You like to see fugitives naked!?

T-2: No, no, no. The future is what you make it.

Joe Dirt: Yeah, you like to see fugitives naked. That's cool.

T-2: No! The future is what you make it!

Joe Dirt: Oh.

T-2: Everybody knows that. God drat, boy.
T-2 walks away.

Joe Dirt: Guy likes to see fugitives naked. That doesn't help me.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Goblin Craft posted:

Of all the shows I enjoyed that were canceled (and never got even a bone thrown at the fans like Farscape or Jericho), this one stung probably the most.

It's actually gotten more painful in recent times since it was cancelled to save Dollhouse

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dollhouse's second and last season would have already been in production when Sarah Connor Chronicles second season was airing so that doesn't really track.

If anything, it was cancelled to save Fringe.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Axe-man posted:

I really hated the poo poo out of a.i.

No movie has ever made me as angry as A.I. did. When a movie buddy picked that one she had no idea what was going to happen. I don't usually pause movies every 15-20 minutes to yell at the TV because someone decided to piss on Kubrik's legacy over and over and over again. It's been at least 10 years, I could probably record a good reaction video.

TSCC rocked.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What if the Klingon empire just doesn't have borders? Cardassia and Romulus have big border zones with the federation not as the result of interstellar empires necessarily having contiguous borders along all the areas they control, but because those border zones are the result of wars where the settlement was any armed aligned ships in that area would be a problem that people could complain about but without any clear enforcement or retribution mechanism.

Without a specific border zone line that, it's probably pretty easy to slide through the empty space between solar systems.

Also I didn't understand much of AI as a kid, but I did know that I didn't like it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
All I know is that the Fed/Klingon neutral zone in Star Trek II being depicted as a bubble was fukken weird.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

I will forever remain convinced that the ending of A.I. came from Spielberg, when he took over the movie following Kubrick's death. Like, he just flat-out said "There's no way I'm ending the movie with David asking to become a real boy until his batteries run out, I've got to graft something happier onto this." Everyone involved has said the movie's ending is loyal to what Kubrick and Ian Watson came up with, but I just don't buy it, not when taken in the context of pretty much everything Watson has ever written, not in the context of Kubrick being ... well, Kubrick.

From what I've heard, the Kubrick ending is we end on David and his resurrected mother curled up, sleeping. The mother begins to dissolve away, piece by piece, until we're left on the image of David curled up with nothing. End.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Axe-man posted:

I really hated the poo poo out of a.i.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
More importantly, none of the Trek maps have ever made much sense, nor do I think one can make much sense.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It makes most sense if you imagine that the Empires are blobs but the Federation is a huge spread-out spikey mesh with bits and pieces all over. But I expect it'd be impossible to wholly reconcile with onscreen.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I mean, the whole idea of 'territory' when you're dealing with interstellar space is kind of weird. Interstellar space should be more like international waters, with discreet borders like the Neutral Zone being the exception, not the rule.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Just to complicate matters even further, there's also a nebula known as the Betreka Nebula that the Klingon Empire and Cardassian Union had a territorial dispute over for the better part of two decades. It was only ever mentioned once in a bit of throwaway dialogue once on DS9, so naturally it was turned into a book. It's actually kinda fun if you're a history nerd, since it takes the initial dispute and shows how it affects the course of galactic history during the early-mid 24th century, influencing things like the Romulan attack on Khitomer and why Worf was raised in the Federation and why the Cardassians ever built Terok Nor in the first place.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry Salami posted:

I mean, the whole idea of 'territory' when you're dealing with interstellar space is kind of weird. Interstellar space should be more like international waters, with discreet borders like the Neutral Zone being the exception, not the rule.
I think this is consistent in a sci fi setting but it doesn't fit Trek, if only because of all of the space countries that are paranoid secret squirrels. If you say "OK, most of our territory is international space-waters except for (this zone)" you're basically giving things away.

They would absolutely be weird blobs in 3D rather than overhead maps, though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s no Z-axis in Star Trek space, so actually country-style borders and neutral zones make perfect sense.

wait what do you mean the universe is vast and infinite and it wouldn’t just be Horatio Hornblower in space?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mmm. The galactic disc is about 1000 light years thick here (with Earth sitting about 100ly 'above' the equator, towards galactic north), so it definitely isn't narrow enough to treat like 2D.

It's one of those things where it's very much narratively beneficial to leave it as vague as possible, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 22, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Really in a practical sci-fi universe most of the black would be "international waters" and states can only meaningfully claim objects, because Space Is Big.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Sorry, going to be just sitting within a lawn darts throw distance away from this klingon ship in a to the death stand off in our blockaid of this planet. :kirksmug:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've never watched a Terminator film past the first two, is 3 worth watching?

Oh my god, you rare and precious flower. Living in a world where nothing happened after Terminator 2, one of the greatest sequels in all of cinema... brings a tear to my eye.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There are no Terminator movies after T2.

There’s a cool TV show that lasted two seasons, though.

Watch that and definitely not any movies that do not exist and never have.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Terminator Genesys makes most Trek novels look like Moby Dick

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
these are fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tepVDyAUmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HqSH2HYA8g

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

My favourite Trek-related meme sequence is Swear Trek on twitter. Something about the combination is just hilarious to me. Swearing is actually cool and good and funny.

https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/1366070824227192838

https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/1359910289563648005

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kira should've been allowed to say gently caress

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Kira should've been allowed to say gently caress

There's a bit in the DS9 Q episode where O'Brien recognises him and mutters "bloody hellfire" to himself as he hurries off to alert the authorities, and that was fairly strong language over here at the time. I'm in favour of more cursing on TV to be honest, it's funny and good. Discovery made a bit too much of it at first but if they can relax and just use it as part of regular speech I'd be happy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There's a bit more swearing and "hard language" in Picard, and honestly it ruined my immersion a bit (more) when it came from J-L (lol) or a few of the other known characters. It just didn't feel like their style. Seven gets a pass though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

BonHair posted:

There's a bit more swearing and "hard language" in Picard, and honestly it ruined my immersion a bit (more) when it came from J-L (lol) or a few of the other known characters. It just didn't feel like their style. Seven gets a pass though.

Yeah, it feels like it should be appropriate. Like Kira would absolutely swear. O'Brien, sure.

Now I'm thinking about Spock saying 'double dumbass on you' or whatever it was in movie 4, that was excellent.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Picard was saying merde as early as TNG season one - he's the sweariest character in Trek!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

Picard was saying merde as early as TNG season one - he's the sweariest character in Trek!

Is it as strong in French as 'poo poo' is in English? I literally don't know. I remember when I was a kid visiting Germany 'scheisse' was way stronger to the teens I was hanging out with than 'poo poo' was to us. That was hilarious. Naturally we all taught each other swears.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, it feels like it should be appropriate. Like Kira would absolutely swear. O'Brien, sure.

Now I'm thinking about Spock saying 'double dumbass on you' or whatever it was in movie 4, that was excellent.

That is not the hell who says that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

In one of the early Picard episodes where the Admiral gets all indignant and says ‘the sheer loving hubris!’ I just knew this wasn’t going to be good

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

CPColin posted:

That is not the hell who says that.

Oh my god you're right. Time for a rewatch!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s apparently Shatner’s 90th birthday today

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

HopperUK posted:

Oh my god you're right. Time for a rewatch!

A double smart brain on you!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

In one of the early Picard episodes where the Admiral gets all indignant and says ‘the sheer loving hubris!’ I just knew this wasn’t going to be good

*Flips baseball cap around backwards on head, sits the wrong way on a chair facing you* all right fellow kids let's wrap about swear words like "piss"

Wait where are you going

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just watched TNG episode 'Man of the people' where counselor Troi gets all hot and heavy. It was a weird episode but I enjoyed it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That episode is one of many where Troi is being preyed upon by someone, of which there are way too many on TNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Her entire character is "a woman", which means it's the most obvious role to play in a script. This is bad for multiple reasons.