Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
In the scene immediately after the mission Ryder is confirmed as a traitor, we already see reason for the speculation he may not have been in earlier drafts. CJ only curses Smoke, and nobody says anything about Ryder. That pattern mostly stays put until the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The way I read it originally, Ryder doesn't necessarily want to destroy the GSF, he just doesn't agree with Sweet's no-tolerance drug policy. Viewed from that angle, I guess it makes more sense that Ryder would do stuff like steal guns to make the GSF more powerful?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Comrade Koba posted:

The way I read it originally, Ryder doesn't necessarily want to destroy the GSF, he just doesn't agree with Sweet's no-tolerance drug policy.
Ryder is the one who tells us to go gently caress up Balla dope pushers in "Cleaning the Hood" and kills a bunch of them himself, lamenting how crack is destroying the hood. That totally lines up with Sweet's opinions, as he is specifically against the idea of GS getting into the crack business (which happens to be what Smoke keeps suggesting to him) and probably fine with people using less destructive stuff considering he still hangs out with Ryder and doesn't seem to mind his "water" at all.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DMorbid posted:

Ryder is the one who tells us to go gently caress up Balla dope pushers in "Cleaning the Hood" and kills a bunch of them himself, lamenting how crack is destroying the hood. That totally lines up with Sweet's opinions, as he is specifically against the idea of GS getting into the crack business (which happens to be what Smoke keeps suggesting to him) and probably fine with people using less destructive stuff considering he still hangs out with Ryder and doesn't seem to mind his "water" at all.

Absolutely, which is why my original interpretation that I got on my first playthrough changed with later ones. I'm just saying that if you play the game like I guess most people do and blaze through the story missions without paying much attention to detail, having Ryder go from GS loyalist to traitor isn't that jarring.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Had no idea about the bike missions existing. Do you really need them for 100%?

Do you also really not get anything for them? Not even, like, The World's Best Bike (lol) in front of your house or something?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Do you also really not get anything for them? Not even, like, The World's Best Bike (lol) in front of your house or something?

With all the time you spend retrying them over and over you’re at least bound to end up with your bike skill maxed out by the time you’re done.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I checked the wiki, and you do get a bit of money for doing the Chiliad Challenge but not nearly enough to make up for... well, the entire thing, really. The rewards are $500 for the first race, $1000 for the second, and $2000 for the third.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Simply Simon posted:

All races in the game are part of 100% except the Beat the Cock Triathlon where you compete against the Cluck N Bell mascot. At least CJ can go Peter Griffin on that particular chicken if he loses. :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My house/flat/I-don't-even-know-what-to-call-it isn't quite as bad as having the toilet in the bedroom - there is technically a separate bathroom, but it has a curtain instead of a door. My place is terrible.

And regarding the bike race, although I'm sure I couldn't beat any real racer (professional or amateur) I'm absolutely certain I could beat CJ. Riding a bike in real life is not that difficult. If you asked me if I'd prefer to ride that course in real life or in the game, I'd pick real life. If I fell off a mountain in real life I might die. But if I tried to finish that race in that game, I might die before I ever managed it.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

DMorbid posted:

Episode 11: The Green Sabre

We crash a Balla funeral, try to reunite the Families, and finally make a terrible discovery as the first act of San Andreas comes to an end.
Just as a heads up, this episode is missing from the Youtube playlist.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

inscrutable horse posted:

Just as a heads up, this episode is missing from the Youtube playlist.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll fix that in a bit.

edit: Should be sorted out now!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 20, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Comrade Koba posted:

The way I read it originally, Ryder doesn't necessarily want to destroy the GSF, he just doesn't agree with Sweet's no-tolerance drug policy. Viewed from that angle, I guess it makes more sense that Ryder would do stuff like steal guns to make the GSF more powerful?

I don’t think it’s supported by what the game depicts, but the most coherent interpretation of Ryder’s character arc given his inconsistent behavior would be that he’s not a traitor at the start but gets won over by Smoke. But for that to work we’d need to see what makes Ryder change his mind. Instead it looks like he’s supposed to have been a traitor before the game begins.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 13: Body Harvest

We somehow find ourselves "liberating" a combine harvester for an old hippie, which probably isn't what CJ was expecting to do today. We also meet up with Cesar's cousin and discover that "real intense" really was the understatement of the century.

Body Harvest, by the way, is a 1998 Nintendo 64 game by DMA Design, who of course were later renamed Rockstar North. The 3D open world third person action and driving gameplay systems we see in the PS2 GTA games were first developed for Body Harvest, so that game is considered something of a precursor to GTA III. It's very, very janky and very, very, very hard, but if you have the patience it's worth checking out.

Fiendly started an LP of Body Harvest in 2016, and while the LP was sadly never finished you can at least get a good idea what the game is like. Here's the first video of that LP.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The old hippie, Truth, is voiced by the dearly departed Peter Fonda, and is among my favorite characters in video games as well as the GTA-verse.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Even if he does look a lot like a George Carlin character. :v: Or at least someone who would've been voiced by Carlin. Dunno why.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like the story would have benefitted from a line from CJ pointing out he needed to go back to Catalina to get money to pay off The Truth. Without that it just seems weird to go straight from telling her to gently caress off forever to begging her to take him back. At least I assume that's the reason.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The Truth should have been voiced by Willie Nelson, honestly. Though Peter Fonda does a great job with the role!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Tenebrais posted:

I feel like the story would have benefitted from a line from CJ pointing out he needed to go back to Catalina to get money to pay off The Truth. Without that it just seems weird to go straight from telling her to gently caress off forever to begging her to take him back. At least I assume that's the reason.

In some of the dialogue during the Catalina missions CJ talks a lot about ‘really needing the money’ - I presume this is the Truth money, but to be honest the whole thing is a little vague.

Of course it’s moot as by now most people have already done at least some of the side quests and so would have enough money to cover The Truth’s needs. Really they should have taken all of CJ’s money when he was dropped in the Badlands...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In a way I'm amazed you didn't go with the Combine Harvester song as background music for that mission.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btEpF334Rtc

Edit:
Also you totally missed out on mentioning Claude in the background of when you first meet Woozie.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 22, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I make a habit of killing Catalina every mission. The way CJ acts around Catalina is bad enough. Cesar only wanted you to pick her up, not date her.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Also you totally missed out on mentioning Claude in the background of when you first meet Woozie.
I was trying to see if Chaos would notice Claude in the background and since he didn't, I didn't want to point him out just yet.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Woozie is another great character. Catalina... let’s just say she wouldn’t last long in any gang I led.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Catalina's the primary reason I'm wary of calls for Rockstar to add a female MC. She's a horrible caricature.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
God I hate local liquor store so much. Driving the quad is beyond rear end, but it's also no guarantee that the aiming will work well enough for you to just get off and shoot them. I was stuck there for so drat long, and you have to listen to Cat's abuse every attempt.

It doesn't help that "local liquor store" is an extremely pleasing word combo that will never ever leave my brain

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

All of the Catalina missions are a pain, one way or another.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Yeah they added nothing to the game and just felt tiresome. The badlands portion is sparse but it felt like it was cj getting stuck there trying to get a way out after crash hosed him. She just did nothing to add to the story.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

One point I will give the second conversation with Catalina is that it's kinda great when you can see the point where CJ realizes how she works and turns it around.
The huge downside though is the whole weird needy rant before that, it comes off as weirdly out of place and seems to assume their "relationship" has skipped ahead far longer than we've actually seen.

But yeah, this is one of those points where Rockstar writing(tm) really shows its head. In a way I'm glad I can't hear the adverts on the radio because they got a bit too much after a while.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Yeah they added nothing to the game and just felt tiresome. The badlands portion is sparse but it felt like it was cj getting stuck there trying to get a way out after crash hosed him. She just did nothing to add to the story.

But she's a giant GTA 3 reference, you're suppose to be too excited trying to figure out the timeline of events here to notice how tedious it all is :v:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I think that is sort of what they were going for - not the timeline of events, but getting a good look at what the Big Bad from the earlier game was really like. They just did so poorly.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of GTA III references, it took me way too long to realize that the black ZR-350 that confused me at the end of the race was actually Claude's car and we won the pink slip off him (even though Claude doesn't actually race it in the mission itself). This shouldn't have been that confusing, but for some reason I thought CJ drove the ZR-350 into the cutscene and got out to celebrate instead of just admiring the car and celebrating. :eng99:

It's right there! :doh:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is the car there for you to take afterwards? Although I'm not sure if you have access to any garages to keep it in outside Los Santos.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tenebrais posted:

I assumed he was just scared she'd murder him and saying whatever he could think of to placate her.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 14: Two Tickets to Paradise

Or at least San Fierro, I guess.

Next time, we'll tackle the most infamous mission in the game!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh yeah, that part. I had sorta forgotten about that.

Edit:
You could say Claude takes rejection even worse than CJ considering what happens in GTA3.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 25, 2021

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Cooked Auto posted:

You could say Claude takes rejection even worse than CJ considering what happens in GTA3.

I mean to be fair, CJ didn't get shot. Or arrested. And had only known her for at most a few weeks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

True, he only got shot at.

Also I see Truth is a strong proponent of Time and Proquinty.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
In that last mission if you had turned left at the top of the Truth's driveway instead of right, you'd have been right in San Fierro. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

In that last mission if you had turned left at the top of the Truth's driveway instead of right, you'd have been right in San Fierro. :v:
I took the scenic route because I wanted to make sure I didn't get there too fast and miss some of his dialogue.

Well, that's the excuse I'm gonna go with. The actual reason is my incompetence at navigating the countryside.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It took them 9 years to get to Liberty City. Catalina made it sound like it was their next stop.
Claude simply shot Maria when she went rambling for too long and also for stabbing him in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

UCS Hellmaker posted:

That's why Jerusalem's screenshot LP is probably the definitive version of San Andreas. It takes a lot of work to get all the poo poo in the game to function in a coherent whole.