Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It might be as simple as Bucky showing up at Sam's home to say 'hey I'm trying to make amends, sorry I tried to kill you in Captain America 2'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The guy looks like someone stole Cap’s helmet from the Smithsonian and stuck it on Dopey. Sam would have to be legally blind to mistake him for Bucky, a man with normal ears and a face that doesn’t resemble the old guy from Up.

Oh, by "new guy" I thought the conversation was about the Flag Smasher with super strength and long dark hair, not new Cap. Sorry, bad reading comprehension on my part.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

stev posted:

It might be as simple as Bucky showing up at Sam's home to say 'hey I'm trying to make amends, sorry I tried to kill you in Captain America 2'.

They were pretty buddy buddy at the end of Endgame, I suspect the whole "my bad" conversation already happened there

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Andrew Verse posted:

I'd imagine they'll meet up because Sam thinks Bucky might be the new guy.

I think it's much more likely that they'll come together because the Flag-smashers hurt/kill Yori in one of their robberies/demonstrations. Bucky seems to be pretty focused on personal stuff. There was a big news conference where he declined the role of Captain America. The new one looks like a doofus, but I think Bucky cares a lot more about dealing with his own guilt than that a doofus is the new Cap. One thing to consider about Bucky is that he knew Steve Rogers much longer as Steve Rogers than he did as Captain Ameria.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Andrew Verse posted:

Because they have a bit of an adversarial relationship, Steve's not around to make sure Bucky stays on the straight and narrow, and Bucky is ghosting him.

Seems like an easy leap to thinking it could be Bucky and checking in on him.

I don’t know if this is like an extended “goon face blindess” bit but even in full chinstrap//skullcap the new cap is so OBVIOUSLY not Sebastian Stan, there is no way someone like Sam (an elite fighter pilot and Air Force combatant) would mistake the two, even without his cyber goggles...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

tsob posted:

I know it won't be anything like the same, but I can't help imagine a comedy of errors thing now where both are infiltrating a site investigating US Agent in their own way and constantly nearly coming in to contact with each other, but always missing each other in small ways, like that scene where Donna and the Doctor come back in to contact while he's infiltrating an office that she's working at, the two nearly seeing each other several times but always jussssst missing out on it until a big comic moment after several minutes.

Okay, but they have to have the lip-reading/miming scene. :allears:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The guy looks like someone stole Cap’s helmet from the Smithsonian and stuck it on Dopey. Sam would have to be legally blind to mistake him for Bucky, a man with normal ears and a face that doesn’t resemble the old guy from Up.

Which is hilarious because Wyatt Russell is not bad or weird looking dude. His parents are Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn, for goodness sake. He might as have been made in a lab to be blandly handsome.

Multiple people had to look at what that helmet did to his face and say “yeah, that’s fine”. Amazing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Marsupial Ape posted:

Which is hilarious because Wyatt Russell is not bad or weird looking dude. His parents are Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn, for goodness sake. He might as have been made in a lab to be blandly handsome.

Multiple people had to look at what that helmet did to his face and say “yeah, that’s fine”. Amazing.

It’s pretty clear it’s intentional. We’re pretty obviously supposed to hate the Crimson Chin as much as Sam does.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Marsupial Ape posted:

Wyatt Russell does have an extremely punchable face and his acting career is mostly playing obnoxious characters that the audience wants to punch in the face.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's like Kurt Russell got his face squished to 50% height while leaving his head the same shape.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

It looks like people have to duck when he turns around to avoid his chin, probably why he looks weird with the chin strap on.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
He looks wildly different in nearly every picture I find. Proper chameleon weirdness.

Body weight and beard makes a huge difference

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Sloth Life posted:

He looks wildly different in nearly every picture I find. Proper chameleon weirdness.

Body weight and beard makes a huge difference

Yeah, there are pics where he looks like an absolute normal mildly attractive guy.

But indeed, the helmet was designed in a way to give him a weird face shape. The type that makes you go immediately "this is knock off Captain America, gently caress off lol".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Has there ever been a character named Sergeant States?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They should have him beat up goose and call him catpain America

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Golden Bee posted:

They should have him beat up goose and call him catpain America

Goose isn't a cat. Goose is a flerken. :colbert:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's me, I'm Mr. Merica.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Goose isn't a cat. Goose is a flerken. :colbert:

They should have him beat up Patsy Walker

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wyatt Russell does have an extremely punchable face and his acting career is mostly playing obnoxious characters that the audience wants to punch in the face.

As that may be, the helmet squishes the gently caress out of his face. Chris Evan’s helmet was designed to never let us forget he’s Chris Evans.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Has there ever been a character named Sergeant States?

Yes, the Captain America analogue in Paul Grist's (delightful) Jack Staff!

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

They should have him beat up Patsy Walker

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat! Disney+ show when?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's me, I'm Mr. Merica.

We will be getting Miss America (Chavez) in the MCU soonish.

The MCU could also pull a deep dive and bring in American Dream as Steve and Sharron's daughter/grand daughter from the alternate timeline he retired to.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
My only complaint is that I spent half the day doing nothing but filling out forms and assembling documents so that we could apply to refinance our mortgage, then I take a break from that to watch the new comic book spy show, and it's an episode about filling out forms and assembling documents to apply for a home loan.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Robot Hobo posted:

My only complaint is that I spent half the day doing nothing but filling out forms and assembling documents so that we could apply to refinance our mortgage, then I take a break from that to watch the new comic book spy show, and it's an episode about filling out forms and assembling documents to apply for a home loan.

Did you even pay attention at all to the loving show?

It was about filling out forms and assembling documents to apply for a business loan to consolidate their other business loans and home equity loan.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Did you even pay attention at all to the loving show?

It was about filling out forms and assembling documents to apply for a business loan to consolidate their other business loans and home equity loan.

There's also an extra rub to this in that it's probably more expensive in the long run, but brings down the "monthly payments". There's a lot to unpack on that scene and one of them is how expensive it is to be poor.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's like how people can't get mortgages with lower monthly payments than their rent.

Or, as Terry Pratchett once famously wrote,

Men at Arms posted:

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.
Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.
But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.
This was the Captain Samuel Vimes “Boots” theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

There's also an extra rub to this in that it's probably more expensive in the long run, but brings down the "monthly payments". There's a lot to unpack on that scene and one of them is how expensive it is to be poor.

Baron Zemo will learn that Falcon’s secret superhero weakness is terrible business sense and that will form the basis of the penultimate episode cliffhanger.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Saddest Robot posted:

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat! Disney+ show when?
“It’s Patsy!“ was like eight seconds of screen time and is still in my head for years later. A legal comedy of Queen green, Patsy and occasional Foggy Nelson/daredevil feels extremely easy to write and cheap to shoot.

I wonder what kind of conversations Eldon Henson Head with his agent over the years. Would daredevil enter the MCU? How does Sony effect that? And assuming he does, that means foggy gets a cameo, right? What about all the D+ shows? I’m sure John Barrett that I can get his texts answered, but if You weren’t number one on the call sheet, it has to be frustrating how many marvel properties come out a year.

Fun story about foggy:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/daredevil-elden-henson-funny-casting-story-foggy-nelson-marvel/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'm enjoying these casting archives so much

https://screenrant.com/captain-america-movie-fantasy-cast/

Their choices:

Jon Hamm being the #1 pick

Fringe and Human Target star Mark Valley.

Supernatural star Jensen Ackles (if you want a younger Cap).

The Mentalist star Simon Baker.

Eureka star Colin Ferguson (who we nominated back when).

Underworld star Scott Speedman.

quote:

Hayley Atwell, who has starred in films like The Duchess and the TV mini-series remake of The Prisoner, has now been cast as the Captain America female lead, Peggy Carter. Atwell will be playing the the love interest of Rogers, and her character could become much larger depending upon how they take her comic book storyline and transfer it to the screen. Many actresses were looked at for this role, including Keira Knightley and Emily Blunt.

quote:

A list of names has been revealed to the masses today, and this list of names just so happens to be the gentlemen who are currently in the running for the highly-coveted role of Captain America in The First Avenger: Captain America.

Usually we would just ignore stuff like this because c’mon now, this is a bunch of people who are being considered for one single role, which means all but one of them will not have anything to do with the project in the end. None-the-less, this is a gigantic film, and the last before the unheard of merging of multiple juggernaut Marvel Studios franchises in The Avengers, so we figured you might be interested in knowing just who might become your new Captain.

The names included are certainly very interesting and they vary from those you might expect to a couple you might not so much expect. Continue reading to find out who’s in the hunt!

The most intriguing name that is included in the conversation is John Krasinski of The Office and Away We Go. Krasinski has more of that geeky feel to him, and would probably be a good fit for the pre-Captain Steve Rogers. And though I would never have suspected him a candidate, something about him feels like it would be a great fit, and he would bring that great comic delivery that can work so well when used properly (a la Iron Man).

Other names that are up for the part include Mike Vogel (Cloverfield, Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Patrick Flueger (The 4400, Brothers), Michael Cassidy (The O.C., Smallville), and Scott Porter, who is best known from Friday Night Lights, but is also currently being seen on Caprica, and the upcoming movie The Good Guy.

Two more names are also associated with the project, but they’re currently on the outside looking in. Chace Crawford (Gossip Girl, The Covenant) is in talks to do a screen test, but he’s not part of the list yet. Tron: Legacy and Four Brothers star Garrett Hedlund was in the running, but had to step away due to scheduling issues.

So there it is: your currently party of potential Captain America prospects. To make things even worse, there is still the chance that NONE of these guys will get the part — there is always the possibility that someone steps in and wows producers at the last second. This is why as a movie fan, I don’t want to know who’s in the running — just tell us who gets the freakin’ part!

Chris Evans not even mentioned but we had a world where John Krasinski could've been Captain America.

Lid fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 22, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Jensen has been around too. Almost superman, almost captain. Tho he's finally getting to be a super in the boys

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How has John Hamm not been cast in the MCU yet?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lid posted:

Chris Evans not even mentioned but we had a world where John Krasinski could've been Captain America.

Krasinski would’ve been terrible and I hate that he’s still the front runner for Reed just because turbodorks latched onto him and Blunt after A Quiet Place.

We really got lucky with Evans and Atwell because I can’t imagine any of those alternate choices in the roles. Evans in particular is right up there with Reeve’s Superman when it comes to definitive takes on their characters.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, he's not Reed. Obviously you do

Krasinski as the Torch
Wilson as the Thing
Carroll as Richards
BJ Novak as Sue

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

stev posted:

How has John Hamm not been cast in the MCU yet?

He doesn't seem particularly interested in making blockbusters, the most successful live action film he's been in was Baby Driver. Though I am surprised Rudd hasn't dragged him into the Ant-Man franchise yet.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1374066127702257666

this is curious given that the character hasn't exactly had much of a profile in the comics in recent years, and has never even had a solo miniseries. gonna guess she isn't going to become the host of the Phoenix Force like she looks to be doing in Jason Aaron's Avengers run

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Barry Convex posted:

this is curious given that the character hasn't exactly had much of a profile in the comics in recent years, and has never even had a solo miniseries. gonna guess she isn't going to become the host of the Phoenix Force like she looks to be doing in Jason Aaron's Avengers run

A deaf female character is a no-brainer for Disney. Inclusivity is awesome, especially when it gives me more of the kicky-punchy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Barry Convex posted:

I've never heard of this character before but that article description makes her sound like Taskmaster but a woman and deaf?

The article also mentions that Yelena Belova shows up in Hawkeye which kind of lines up with the rumors that she is going to be the new Black Widow going forward since ScarJo is gone

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

The article also mentions that Yelena Belova shows up in Hawkeye which kind of lines up with the rumors that she is going to be the new Black Widow going forward since ScarJo is gone

She's listed as "Black Widow" in the cast sheet. So, it is basically confirmed. Unless, they do a weird thing where everyone from the Red Room is "Black Widow" and then never mention her again.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Azhais posted:

Jensen has been around too. Almost superman, almost captain. Tho he's finally getting to be a super in the boys

Almost Hawkeye too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Krasinski would’ve been terrible and I hate that he’s still the front runner for Reed just because turbodorks latched onto him and Blunt after A Quiet Place.

We really got lucky with Evans and Atwell because I can’t imagine any of those alternate choices in the roles. Evans in particular is right up there with Reeve’s Superman when it comes to definitive takes on their characters.

It's because he's got America's rear end