Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FilthyImp posted:

I think the thing people are not getting here about his run is that it looks like it's directly influenced by some kind of zen meditation/Tai chi poo poo where his movements are fluid.

Like, I can see an explanation that goes running like the T-1000 would be incredibly damaging to himself/cause Shockwaves because you're chopping a limb up and down at supervelocities. Just look at his intro scene: his shoes disintegrate because they can't handle the torsion/friction that comes from him pivoting, then he gingerly walks across the street and when he starts stopping his feet dig into the street.

I know it's weird but I like the look. Like he's gliding through things.
Skating the infinite comes to mind.

this forum led me to believe his shoes, like his pants, were made of go-fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lurdiak posted:

This poo poo was figured out 40 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLhLn9hVkE

I was worried I'd be disappointed, glad I wasn't.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Karloff posted:

I think the ice skating stuff looks bad, but then again the moment where he stops all that falling debris is probably my favourite depiction of super speed ever so it's a mixed bag

I love the "skating"; he's always being so super delicate about everything when going fast that it gives it a very unique look and feel too. The JLU/animated "run fast" is good for what it is, but Im liking this new take of precise while going fast.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Alright then, you bastards, you convinced me to give it a go so here it is. Before we get underway, I really liked MoS (tornado scene excepted) until the World Engine and things became a mind-numbingly boring mess of tentacles and things pinballing around grey, grey buildings that kinda soured me on the whole thing. As for BvS, I only saw it once, the Ultimate version, and disliked pretty much everything about it bar Lex. And no, I never bothered with the previous version of Justice League.

Now yes, I did spend a lot of time laughing at this flick because it does have some baffling decisions and some hilariously awful line readings. Roose Bolton, Lord of Luddites trying to blow up the Old Bailey only for Diana to be there was so strange. And showing your Ultimate Overriding Super Deadly Bad Guy getting owned by an axe-wielding David Fuckin' Thewlis and getting whisked away like a chump sure is an 'interesting' decision as far as inspiring dread goes. Undermining the lovely scene between Martha and Lois with the immediate nonsensical fan service reveal bugged me no ed, and similarly I didn't care for Bruce in the Amazing Spider-Tank machine gunning the crap out of things, at times it felt like like he didn't contribute much more than Alfred. And quite honestly, whenever my mood is low henceforth, I am glad I can remind myself that the Atlanteans and Amazons placed their pieces of the All Powerful Doom McGuffins in an undersea temple at the bottom of the ocean and huge stone tomb ready to be buried at a moment's notice respectively...while Mankind/some rando Vikings/whoever just went to a forest, dug a wee hole and decided "yeah lads, that'll do it. Pub?"

But while there is lots to laugh and/or scratch your at...I honestly found a lot here to like. Barry was kind of an annoying fuckup but did get better as he went on and had some incredibly cool scenes visually, probably the standout. Vic's story really held things together nicely I thought, and I loved Aquadude as the patron saint of coastal towns, idiot fishermen and chonky jumpers, even if he seemed to be a durable punchbag for the most part. I was surprised by how much I liked Affleck's Bruce compared to his previous outing, he really surprised me, and it was grand seeing Cavill one last time, even if he did look like a literal human action figure with his shirt off, so ripped you could see the lines and points of articulation, goddamn. Diana was a tour de force carrying the team for the most part but drat, some of Gadot's line deliveries caused my physical pain.

And as far as the antagonists go, no complaints, other than it is a shame none of it's gonna be followed up on because after this sure, I'd be down for a Legion of Doom and/or Darkseid invasion story. Ah well, never mind.

Visually, fair dues, it looked wonderful and almost mythic for the most part, the odd dodgy CG shot notwithstanding. Some odd, unexpected things like the mournful lamenting folk song as Arthur buggers off back to the sea which was weirdly yet nice, the mega buff Amazons sealing the tomb with their hammers. Really liked the soundtrack too, especially whenever the MoS themes kicked in There are a fair few things I'd change here and there (scrap everything after Silas' speech ends in the epilogue, dump both scenes with Barry's dad and also Diana in London, omit the 8th league member cameos completely - I love that character but nah, save it for 'next' time), ease up on the excessive slow-mo moments but overall, it was Good. Easily the most I've enjoyed of Snyder's comic book stuff to date, an outcome I definitely was not expecting. It actually did come across like a pantheon in the making, a properly mythic quality to it at times.

Oh and as for the 4:3 thing, while I mocked it when I first heard, I probably stopped even being aware of it after 15 minutes. So yeah, thumbs up, would watch again, would have watched another one. Still hate Batman's puny little ear nubs, tho.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Honestly mankind got it right, putting it in a forgotten place and not documenting it. Their box was the last to get got.

Also they encased it in some kind of cast metal, maybe lead?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I did get a giggle that the Nazis found it and tried to use it to win the war, but couldn’t figure out what the gently caress it was or how to use it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The weirdest part of the movie is probably Cavill looking beautiful instead of like he's wearing dentures over his existing teeth.

MovieBob, who's unfortunately a gently caress, once said something kinda smart that I liked which is that a bad movie isn't bad because there are no good parts, but because those good parts can't save it.

I think ZSJL is the other way around. It's not that there aren't bad parts, but that those bad parts don't wreck the film.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I was just thinking, Ma Kent only got like three scenes and a couple lines of dialogue, right? Not counting the loving dumb MM scene, we saw her leaving the farmhouse, we saw her arrive back at the farmhouse after they bring Superman back, and we saw her briefly at the very end when she's moving back in. It's been kinda bugging me since watching, and it's annoying since I know it wouldn't bug me if they'd just cut Martian Manhunter ruining that nice little scene with her and Lois.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want a Snyder Cut Extended Cut where at the end of every 1 on 1 conversation it’s revealed one of them is actually Martian Manhunter. Just constantly throughout the movie with no attempt to make any sense of it. Barry visiting his dad? Dad’s MM. Principal on the flashback? MM. Vulko giving Arthur the trident? MM again. Just non-stop MM every other scene.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Emerald Fennell, the writer-director of Promising Young Woman, is set to write a Zatanna movie for DC with Bad Robot producing. Cue the speculation as to what Paul Dini's background cameo role will be.
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1374035966298619910

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I want a Snyder Cut Extended Cut where at the end of every 1 on 1 conversation it’s revealed one of them is actually Martian Manhunter. Just constantly throughout the movie with no attempt to make any sense of it. Barry visiting his dad? Dad’s MM. Principal on the flashback? MM. Vulko giving Arthur the trident? MM again. Just non-stop MM every other scene.

Reverse that last one and you can just use it twice. Vulko gives the trident to MM pretending to be Aquaman, we see him transform to MM and then to Vulko, the exact same scene plays out again, we see him transform again. 4 hours and 10 minutes!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

theironjef posted:

Reverse that last one and you can just use it twice. Vulko gives the trident to MM pretending to be Aquaman, we see him transform to MM and then to Vulko, the exact same scene plays out again, we see him transform again. 4 hours and 10 minutes!

Then wrap it up with a scene where Clark talks to his mom before flying away. Martha then turns into J, and Clark turns into M. They look back and recognise each other sheepishly as they realise they've had about a dozen meetings just talking to each other the whole time.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

Looked dumb, to me

Please sir, the God of Death to the New Gods is the Black Racer, a speedster on skis. Naturally a skating motion for the Flash is appropriate as there is a winter sport motif.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly it occurs to me that maybe Snyder just needs to have someone on Martha Patrol to stop him from doing dumb things with Martha Kent.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly it occurs to me that maybe Snyder just needs to have someone on Martha Patrol to stop him from doing dumb things with Martha Kent.

Martha is the counter to the anti life equation

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Keanu Reeves has a deal with Netflix to turn the comic book he's cowritten with Matt Kindt, BRZRKR, into movies and an anime series. I assume the idea is that Reeves will star in the movie since the character is based on his likeness.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Space_Butler posted:

Emerald Fennell, the writer-director of Promising Young Woman, is set to write a Zatanna movie for DC with Bad Robot producing. Cue the speculation as to what Paul Dini's background cameo role will be.
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1374035966298619910

I will only watch this if they have her actually learn the words backwards to cast her dumb spells. And when she's talking regularly she says things backwards and you reverse it in post, like in Twin Peaks.

this is a good example. he sings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNfzGuOSPTE

Quotey fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 23, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
did I miss a line of exposition that explained how Darkseid et al. knew there were three Mother Boxes on Earth but somehow didn't realize that it was the same planet where this ancient rebellion happened and where the Anti-Life Equation could be found? wouldn't the former lead them to the latter?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

if this report is accurate, the MM scenes were only added during the additional photography of the Snyder Cut. it definitely feels like the MM reveal was tacked onto what was previously just a straightforward Lois/Martha scene as setup for the final scene

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah. Darkseid and Apokolips are within a different universe and he invades the multiverse. The motherbox calls out and reaches Steppenwolf who is atoning for his crimes by conquering worlds and is drawn to Earth. He then informs Desaad he’s found them when reporting back. The joke is also he’s a gently caress up of sorts so they send him on a boondoggle to be rid of him and he happens to have found the world in 100,000 that Darkseid lost. This world also has the antilife equation.

But who knows why they didn’t keep track of it unless maybe it’s one of so many worlds lost to time in a multiverse or maybe Darkseid wiped that log from record for not wanting to admit defeat cause he doesn’t initially talk to Steppenwolf during his first reports.

This earth also may be the only one that has the complete equation imprinted on it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kirby intended that the New Gods inhabited a place where everything was bigger, and one of the effects of Boom Tube was to shrink or grown people crossing through them.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

So it’s a minor nitpick, but am I the only one who didn’t like how Darkseid, during the present day scenes, just stands there with his arms dangling by his side instead of his iconic, arms-behind-the-back, “You’re not worthy of the effort” pose?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Darkseid in general is just a grunting monster in ZSJL and kinda sucks.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I want to see darkseids hog

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

twistedmentat posted:

Kirby intended that the New Gods inhabited a place where everything was bigger, and one of the effects of Boom Tube was to shrink or grown people crossing through them.

Makes me think of Wonderworld in Morrison’s JLA.

drat now I want to go reread the entirety of his run.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zzulu posted:

I want to see darkseids hog

That's a terrible way to refer to Kalibak.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sanschel posted:

So it’s a minor nitpick, but am I the only one who didn’t like how Darkseid, during the present day scenes, just stands there with his arms dangling by his side instead of his iconic, arms-behind-the-back, “You’re not worthy of the effort” pose?

We got him posing like King Conan so it's a good trade off.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm about halfway through the movie (or maybe a quarter.....who knows) and I just wanted to gripe a bit about the introduction of Darkseid. I know in the original Whedon version it was Steppenwolf vs the combined forces of earth in the totally not Lord of the Rings battle against Sauron losing his ring, and in the Snyder cut it is Darkseid, and I got to say I preferred it being Steppenwolf. I don't mind introducing Darkseid at the battle but I would have preferred him maybe observing. Darkseid is supposed to be this imposing figure that stands in the shadows and casts doom over people, not some grunting soldier who can take a few arrows. The battle against Darkseid just makes him seem like such a chump. You have Wonder Woman saying what an ultimate badass evil guy he is while the visuals show a battle where he gets owned in 2 minutes. It kind of kills all mystique about the guy.
Anyway, that is my biggest gripe so far. The Flash intro kind of rocks though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The other thing to keep track of is in the flashback to his first invasion Darksied has normal eyes. In modern day his eyes are glowing red. Implying I think he attained Godhood of sorts after his primary invasion.

And he was defeated by the Older Gods who are immensely powerful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Madkal posted:

I'm about halfway through the movie (or maybe a quarter.....who knows) and I just wanted to gripe a bit about the introduction of Darkseid. I know in the original Whedon version it was Steppenwolf vs the combined forces of earth in the totally not Lord of the Rings battle against Sauron losing his ring, and in the Snyder cut it is Darkseid, and I got to say I preferred it being Steppenwolf. I don't mind introducing Darkseid at the battle but I would have preferred him maybe observing. Darkseid is supposed to be this imposing figure that stands in the shadows and casts doom over people, not some grunting soldier who can take a few arrows. The battle against Darkseid just makes him seem like such a chump. You have Wonder Woman saying what an ultimate badass evil guy he is while the visuals show a battle where he gets owned in 2 minutes. It kind of kills all mystique about the guy.

Technically it's Uxas, who is in fact much lamer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Morelike Suxass

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Steppenwolf's backstory would have made a lot more sense if he'd been the one to gently caress up and lose the Mother Boxes on Earth and then forget where he lost them. That's why he's in the dog house.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

Technically it's Uxas, who is in fact much lamer.

what does this mean

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

site posted:

what does this mean

Uxas is apparently Darkseid's pre-evovled form. Like a Pokemon.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Darkseid, the strongest Pokeman

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

what does this mean

Uxas is just a buff space dude. He only becomes Darkseid when he steals the Omega Effect power.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Madkal posted:

So what you're saying is that the movie would've been significantly improved had they made Steppenwolf do all the fighting while Darkseid lounges menacingly on his la-z-boy, Snyder Cut Meal Kit on hand.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

what does this mean

Thanos with no infinity stones

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So is darkseid like a title or did he just change his name to sound more badass

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, a name that sounds like 'Darkseed' is really cool!