Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't know if it's specifically American, but I know that part of our shared zeitgeist is a picture of Paris as something kind of magical. Like the expectation is that the experience of going there is supposed to be special. You're hear the phrase "Paris in the springtime" probably your whole life

And of course the first time you get there it's just a city, and not a particularly clean or nice-smelling one at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Solice Kirsk posted:

This has nothing to do with the current conversation, but I think it's really funny that being disappointed in Paris is an actual syndrome. I guess my unpopular opinion is that Paris, in general, doesn't seem like that pretty of a place. I think Bordeaux and Rouen look prettier.

To be honest, I've never been to any of them but that's my stance and I'm sticking to it. Maybe Paris is like the Grand Canyon where seeing pictures doesn't do it justice or something, but the fact that there's a syndrome pretty much telling me the opposite.....I don't know.

yeah I heard about this Paris Dissapointment Syndrome, not sure how real it is but apparently it *is* a thing

for the uninitiated: basically, in certain (generally faraway) countries, Paris has a reputation of being this kind of super-romantic, fairy-tale-like city, with beautiful architecture, millenia of history, beautiful cultured people roaming about, the pinnacle of European way of life, etc, etc. Naturally, tourists expect all that, but when they get to Paris (usually paying quite a lot of money for their trips) they are met with rubbish, poop, lovely overpriced food, con artists, and homeless people everywhere. Now, that's basically any major city anywhere in the world, but it clashes so hard with what they've expected, it gets to a point where a non-trivial number of people have a kind of a nervous breakdown after touring Paris a couple of days.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The best city to visit is Toulouse, or Strasbourg if you ignore all the strasbourgeois

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't know if it's specifically American, but I know that part of our shared zeitgeist is a picture of Paris as something kind of magical. Like the expectation is that the experience of going there is supposed to be special. You're hear the phrase "Paris in the springtime" probably your whole life

And of course the first time you get there it's just a city, and not a particularly clean or nice-smelling one at that.
Paris has always been treated as special entirely because it's a center of culture and high-society, so naturally enough, the kind of person who gets to participate in and profits from that sort society life isn't about to care what the plebs who live in the rest of the city are doing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's this worldy city where so many great artists, writers, and thinkers produced some of their best work and it has this cozy kind of feel with its baguettes and outdoor cafes, and everyone smokes cigarettes all the time but it's sexy and not gross, etc.

And then you go and it's basically French New York and people are almost getting run over by mopeds and yelling "Hé, je marche ici!" and the smoking isn't sexy at all and the baguettes aren't really any better than the ones you can get here but you know you can't say anything or else one of those creepy street mimes will sneak up on you and garrote you on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why would anyone waste the time and money to go to France when they could easily just go to Toussaint in Witcher 3?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

This has nothing to do with the current conversation, but I think it's really funny that being disappointed in Paris is an actual syndrome. I guess my unpopular opinion is that Paris, in general, doesn't seem like that pretty of a place. I think Bordeaux and Rouen look prettier.

To be honest, I've never been to any of them but that's my stance and I'm sticking to it. Maybe Paris is like the Grand Canyon where seeing pictures doesn't do it justice or something, but the fact that there's a syndrome pretty much telling me the opposite.....I don't know.

its common in japan but mostly because tv ads and things like that play it up as a clean romantic place when in fact its dirty and smells like piss and a cup of coffee costs 6 euros. other than that is a nice place though i think but most french towns are decent

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i disliked naples a lot more when i went there. naples is full of rude people, museums without airconditioning or signposts or anything that cost a fortune to enter, everybody just has a lovely attitude or tries to gently caress you over somehow. even fez or marrakech were less annoying to walk around in. flying from greece to italy really brings this home, greece kicks rear end and ive never met a greek rear end in a top hat in person, italy is full of assholes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You'd be an rear end in a top hat if you had to live in Naples

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

ive never met a greek rear end in a top hat in person

then did you really go to greece?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the azores are an underrated holiday destination and i dunno why people dont just flood there every summer. its like the european hawaii and its right there

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

the azores are an underrated holiday destination and i dunno why people dont just flood there every summer. its like the european hawaii and its right there

Because Canary Island, South coast of Spain or Italy, the Greek islands and Ibiza is closer, and the Azores is pretty loving expensive compared to those places because their regional government does that on purpose.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Because Canary Island, South coast of Spain or Italy, the Greek islands and Ibiza is closer, and the Azores is pretty loving expensive compared to those places because their regional government does that on purpose.

is it? i went there a long time ago but i dont recall that it was expensive apart from the flight, food and accomodation wasnt expensive anyway. this was terceira though maybe its different on sao miguel

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody living on an island or visiting one is certifiably insane. Large bodies of water are the greatest threat to humanity that's ever existed. Willingly surrounding yourself with it is lunacy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont get why being exiled to st helena was supposed to be punishment for napoleon. retiring on a tropical island seems like a pretty sweet deal and way less of a hassle than his normal life. i would live on st helena

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Anybody living on an island or visiting one is certifiably insane. Large bodies of water are the greatest threat to humanity that's ever existed. Willingly surrounding yourself with it is lunacy.

You won't even visit an island? Ha ha are you from the midwest

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

We all live on islands.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Telemaze posted:

You won't even visit an island? Ha ha are you from the midwest

Any body of water larger than a bathtub should be regarded with the utmost caution. Humans were never meant to swim otherwise we'd have gils. Boats are an affront to the natural order of things.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
what's the ocean going to do, flood me?

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Any body of water larger than a bathtub should be regarded with the utmost caution. Humans were never meant to swim otherwise we'd have gils. Boats are an affront to the natural order of things.

H.P Lovecraft postin in PYF

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

In 5-15 years when Waterworld will become a documentary, you'll be stringing up Kevin Costner.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not as much as the Japanese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Shibawanko posted:

i think the "north european" style of posting is funny just because of how much it pisses a certain kind of american poster off

not as good as the subcontinental style of posting though where everything starts with "sir," and ends with "thank you" and other people are called "my friends" etc

This is why you are a vital part of this thread ecosystem, on an entire page full of people posting extremely popular opinions among normal people or dweebs, you bring it back.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

PHUO: Naples is actually a lot of fun and severely underrated. I am laughing if you didn’t even manage to enjoy something like the Museo di Capodimonte or Museo Archeologico.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

phuo: there's really no point in visiting france, italy, or germany when you can just go to Switzerland and get the best of all 3 cultures. Geneva does a pretty good job of mimicking the Paris dirty+smelly+super snobby experience, zurich is just better germany with trains on time, better beer, and a form of german I have an easier time understanding, and the south is just italy but with better scenery.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You better never tell a Swiss person you think they're speaking German, because they may just punch you for it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

You better never tell a Swiss person you think they're speaking German, because they may just punch you for it.

That's what the told me to learn ("high german") and you pick up their weird jamming french words in etc stuff along the way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

PHUO: Naples is actually a lot of fun and severely underrated. I am laughing if you didn’t even manage to enjoy something like the Museo di Capodimonte or Museo Archeologico.

The only time I was in Naples was during a big football match. I didn't see a single person. I don't think I even saw a dog. (I don't know if Naples has a shitload of street dogs like Rome so maybe there just weren't any dogs.)

e: I'm sure I would've seen a lot of people if I could've stayed long enough for the match to finish.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rick posted:

This is why you are a vital part of this thread ecosystem, on an entire page full of people posting extremely popular opinions among normal people or dweebs, you bring it back.

thanks rick. at least someone understands my purpose

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

your desktop should have "this pc," "network," "control panel," and "recycle bin" icons on it. allowing windows to take these essential tools away from you is like willingly using an inkjet printer

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't know how I feel about agreeing with you, but this is one hundred percent correct.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

phuo: there's really no point in visiting france, italy, or germany when you can just go to Switzerland and get the best of all 3 cultures. Geneva does a pretty good job of mimicking the Paris dirty+smelly+super snobby experience, zurich is just better germany with trains on time, better beer, and a form of german I have an easier time understanding, and the south is just italy but with better scenery.

ive never been to switzerland but i know its terribly expensive compared to all those 3 countries and the food isnt as good as any of those 3 either

i used to chat to a swiss girl online back in 2005 or so and she once got pissed that i wasn't online at the usual time. i wasnt punctual enough so she blocked me

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know how I feel about agreeing with you, but this is one hundred percent correct.

Its actually 75% correct because who the gently caress uses the network icon

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It is Right and Proper for the network icon to be on the desktop, regardless of how often you use it. :colbert:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My desktop has zero icons or visible menu bars, and I use hotkey shortcuts instead. GUI shortcuts are an unnecessary crutch.

I do agree that only someone with a sexual fetish for wasting money would use an inkjet printer, though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I personally thought Paris was beautiful and I didn't think it was "smelly" when I was there. But the eiffeltower was underwhelmning and ye, it's "just a city."

It's always just been a city man

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

it aesthetically fits in with the others

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Zzulu posted:

I personally thought Paris was beautiful and I didn't think it was "smelly" when I was there. But the eiffeltower was underwhelmning and ye, it's "just a city."

It's always just been a city man

paris smells like piss more often than any other city ive been to. i woke up in the middle of the night once to people shouting outside my hotel, looked out the window and it was a bunch of women pissing on the street in an alleyway

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nah, that's just cities in general. You wouldn't believe some of the places I've seen ladies drop trou all over the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Cities are shitholes