Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

gh0stpinballa posted:

I feel like time for my stories really ought to cover the Pro wrestling Monday night wars of the 90s and the end of the attitude era in 2001(serendipity eh) with stone cold turning into a corporate shill and McMahon IRL monopolizing the industry. I feel like there's a lot of juice in that. A nation at the end of history riding high on sports entertainment and such. Much more politically interesting than anything in that UFC doc, where it felt like the political stuff was being crowbarred in. Not to tell them their business like but I remember cush saying he was a huge wrestling mark up until 2000 or so.

Next reading series: Barthes' Mythologies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Deified Data posted:

I got around to the Hedges interview on Bad Faith - I really liked it. Whoever said Brie was basically crack-pinging throughout the whole thing was right, and I really appreciated the pusback she offered, especially on Hedges rejection of Marxism. It was interesting seeing the two only valid responses to our current situation sat side-by-side, Marxism vs. doomerism, and Hedges' aversion to clearly articulating a solution was telling. Like I think Hedges is 100% genuine and didn't offer a solution because he geninely believes there isn't one, but I don't know what he thinks we should do with that information. The Marxist approach, even if it's ultimately naive, at least suggests a course of action

Watching the American left talk endlessly about M4A for several years only to absolutely disappear when it came time do something about it seems to have genuinely been the last straw for her.

I don't think that Hedges doesn't believe in a solution, he just isn't going to talk about it in public because that's a sure-fire way to get marginalized and silenced; he said as much in the interview, it's just the Brie didn't pick up on it and kept pushing.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Listened to the Snyder Cut yesterday. It's long but okay. Probably better with video.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Victory Position posted:

ultimate cop, Vic Mackey, patron saint of all cops here and after

i don't think a show has had a better fate for a character than what happens to him

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Nothus posted:

Watching the American left talk endlessly about M4A for several years only to absolutely disappear when it came time do something about it seems to have genuinely been the last straw for her.

I don't think that Hedges doesn't believe in a solution, he just isn't going to talk about it in public because that's a sure-fire way to get marginalized and silenced; he said as much in the interview, it's just the Brie didn't pick up on it and kept pushing.

If the last few years have proven anything it's that the left as it exists doesn't actually have any real power in politics at all. That should have been self-evident but people got caught up in the hype of Corbyn then Bernard and when those both failed to materialize anything it was clear there's no existing organizations that can push anything anywhere. The whole "force the vote" thing seemed completely bizarre to me because there's no way to force the vote except yell at politicians online. It's like children playing Legos and stating what their lego characters were going to do next with the another kid going "nuh-uh!"

It takes decades to build electoral power anyway, and while that might accelerate with the advent of digital communication, you're still at best arming the left-wing of the democratic party, which places institutional limitations on what anyone can accomplish to begin with.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

every time Noah's name comes up i have to restate that he wrote an entire book about how people own him online. like a third of it was about Freddie De Boer.

Berlatsky is a baffling person

https://twitter.com/SpacePirateJB/status/1205982812483899392

https://twitter.com/nberlat/status/1206018871779561472

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1183199943609081856

https://twitter.com/golikehellmachi/status/1338621988974170113

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/nberlat/status/1246678819580325889

honestly wondering if he's just playing a character online

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
he’s like a Renaissance man of owning himself

THS
Sep 15, 2017

everyones playing a character online. some people just like being the stooge

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

the New Zealand haka is one of the most egregious examples of cultural appropriation and nobody ever says anything about it. just the whitest people in the world stealing a Maori war dance, making a total mockery of it. pure manifestation of settler colonialism and completely, utterly indefensible

i dont think ive ever seen a group of entirely white people doing a haka

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dreylad posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamFriedland/status/1095049710153408513

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the replies he got for that tweet are so loving funny

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Deified Data posted:

I got around to the Hedges interview on Bad Faith - I really liked it. Whoever said Brie was basically crack-pinging throughout the whole thing was right, and I really appreciated the pusback she offered, especially on Hedges rejection of Marxism. It was interesting seeing the two only valid responses to our current situation sat side-by-side, Marxism vs. doomerism, and Hedges' aversion to clearly articulating a solution was telling. Like I think Hedges is 100% genuine and didn't offer a solution because he geninely believes there isn't one, but I don't know what he thinks we should do with that information. The Marxist approach, even if it's ultimately naive, at least suggests a course of action

Hedges is 100% in the "sorry, there are no solutions to this"... but he often sugars that truth up depending on forum/guest/host/etc.

He also wrote "“I do not fight fascists because I will win. I fight fascists because they are fascists.” There is nothing you can 'do' with the information but whatever you will.

I think his real suggestion would be to learn a lot about Yugoslavia and get ready for that. War is, after all, a Force That Gives Us Meaning.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

dasha should have taken custody of this tweet with the divorce since she (allegedly) ghostwrote it

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

thats absolutely a dasha tweet

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tiberion02 posted:

Hedges is 100% in the "sorry, there are no solutions to this"... but he often sugars that truth up depending on forum/guest/host/etc.

He also wrote "“I do not fight fascists because I will win. I fight fascists because they are fascists.” There is nothing you can 'do' with the information but whatever you will.

I think his real suggestion would be to learn a lot about Yugoslavia and get ready for that. War is, after all, a Force That Gives Us Meaning.

this is the actual basis of historical fascism, you realise

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nothus posted:

Yeah, the problem when it comes to discussing this stuff is that the only real solutions are probably things that no one really has a right to demand of anyone else. But many people still seem to axiomatically believe that there *must* be a "correct" way to peacefully organize that will succeed. It's kind of ironically caused by people fundamentally buying into aspects of the liberal worldview - in the same way as liberals are completely unwilling to believe that our entire political mainstream is bad (like how they think "both parties are bad" is an inherently laughably ridiculous statement), some leftists are unwilling to believe that it might be impossible to somehow peacefully organize your way to accomplishing the more substantial left-wing goals.

Sometime there's just no way to peacefully organize your way to power. It's like someone saying that if people organized better they could have ended slavery without the Civil War.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

tiberion02 posted:

He's a deeply religious man who felt his calling was in journalism rather than the ministry. He's going to be emphatically against Marxist atheism even if he agrees with Marxist critiques of capitalism. If you pressed him in private, he'd probably argue for something like liberation theology.

The uncomfortable truth that he tries to avoid saying outloud is that right now, the only "revolutionary" ideas that won't get you murked by capital are evangelical protestantism, new age woo, and ethnic nationalism.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Victory Position posted:

how does Oz or Carnivale rank these days?

I rewatched Carnivale a couple years back. It held up better than I expected, although it has the disadvantage of having been canceled early. So a lot of stuff just doesn't wrap up in a satisfying manner. IIRC I found myself tuning out as the show went on until the next instance Clancy Brown was there. Brother Justin was the Poochy to my Itchy & Scratchy, in that I always wondered where he was when he wasn't on-screen.

Nothus posted:

He's a deeply religious man who felt his calling was in journalism rather than the ministry. He's going to be emphatically against Marxist atheism even if he agrees with Marxist critiques of capitalism. If you pressed him in private, he'd probably argue for something like liberation theology.

Yeah, thankfully most Marxists, in my experience, seem to not really give a poo poo about other people's religiosity, or at least spirituality, anymore.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Mar 23, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why is useful idiots having this TERF rear end in a top hat Katie Herzog on? Ugh

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Why is useful idiots having this TERF rear end in a top hat Katie Herzog on? Ugh

she has been deemed to be cancelled, or almost

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dreylad posted:

Yeah... because she’s a TERF rear end in a top hat.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Hedges is a good critic of American imperialism but he doesn't have anything particular interesting to say about political action
his radical idea was for bernie to run some naderite third party candidacy

the american left has been so depopulated over such an extended period that current leftist "elders" are largely solo catalogers of sins rather than movement leaders

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dreylad posted:

she managed to make a comment about furries in the year 2021

impressive poo poo if you ask me

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Dreylad posted:

yeah she voluntarily left the stranger during covid so she could imply being 'cancelled' had something to do with it, and suddenly started popping up more

wild how cancellation always seems to mean i hear from these idiots more

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Hedges is a good critic of American imperialism but he doesn't have anything particular interesting to say about political action

Tbf, I don't think he was offering that as a solution, so much as wishing that leftists gave so little of a poo poo about the disapproval of the Dem leadership and the mainstream media that they'd be willing to try that. But yeah, he didn't offer much of a solution either way.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Apparently Amber is publishing a book of essays titled Dirtbag.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

That script might be the worst thing Whedon ever wrote. It's so incredibly dogshit. The small amount of good in that movie is completely unrelated to the script.

Also once you know Joss is big a ole' creep, the way everyone treats Winona Ryder in the movie becomes even creepier.

It's so loving bad, just every single trope that hack has is on display in it. Im shocked it took so many people so long to realize if. I think it's honestly the worst of all the Alien movies (Covenant actually wasn't too bad till you got to act three where it just ruined the movie for me it was so bad) Alien 3 is a complete mess especially with all the stuff that happened around the production of that movie, but at least the directors cut gives you something that's a pretty good Alien movie if at the expense of being a terrible sequel to Aliens.

But Resurrection lacks any of that and is just run through with late 90s bullshit, that line about Wal-Mart being bigger than Weyland-Yutani is well cringe inducing. Yeah her "naivete" is especially creepy in light of what we know now, though I figured she'd have been too old for him in 1997.

I thunk it's a pretty good cast wasted on terrible movie

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Hooplah posted:

the replies he got for that tweet are so loving funny

https://twitter.com/beakerson/status/1095095511009382400

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

shrike82 posted:

the american left has been so depopulated over such an extended period that current leftist "elders" are largely solo catalogers of sins rather than movement leaders

He's not wrong that it would be better for Bernie and other "left" member of Congress to split away from the Democrats, or to at least form a distinct and separate faction.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
you're assuming a willingness to challenge norms that bernie and others like the squad don't possess
it goes back to recent rhetoric about challenging power, and how the left doesn't have the levers to do so

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Dreylad posted:

We are inches away from simply growing disdain for ugly people as an -ism without having to ground it in some other -ism

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Do anyone pay for 5-4 premium? If so how are the episodes?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Judakel posted:

We are inches away from simply growing disdain for ugly people as an -ism without having to ground it in some other -ism
Not loving me is body fascism

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Varinn posted:

yeah she voluntarily left the stranger during covid so she could imply being 'cancelled' had something to do with it, and suddenly started popping up more

wild how cancellation always seems to mean i hear from these idiots more

yeah it's the easiest way to get a platform and start shutting down your opponents. also you tend to get a big hit of funding from somewhere

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
marx was a terf. can you say cancelled

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

KomradeX posted:

that line about Wal-Mart being bigger than Weyland-Yutani is well cringe inducing

I completely forgot about this line and am now steaming mad that I remember it being said by someone with the greatest seriousness

:mad:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1374443250988113935?s=20

felix did a no growth

i refuse to explain why this is a no growth to those not mainlining twitter

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Apparently Amber is publishing a book of essays titled Dirtbag.

https://twitter.com/punishedhoover/status/1374164616067055618?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol