Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Now that Dishonoured 2 is back on Gamepass I am playing it, but I keep seeing people say it was way easier, but I'm finding it much harder than the first. I keep being seen by enemies on the other sides of walls and stuff, seeing the ! pop up. Did the guards in his go to the same school as the ones in Oblivion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Endzone? Is it worth dropping fifteen bucks on if I'm itching for a city builder, or is it derivative enough that I should just reinstall Skylines or Surviving Mars?
I haven't gotten around to playing my own copy yet due to a work-related lack of time, but by all accounts it's basically Banished with a post-apoc theme. Seemed solid enough to at least give it a shot, but if you're tired of Banished already, it might not add a lot to the genre.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1373596209559011331

It's really not clear that the current state of the market is sustainable, and I at least would be happier if I'd bought fewer cheap and potentially crappy games.

It's saturation. There's too many games and not enough audience to play them. It's the same problem that's plagued the MMO and Games-As-A-Service space except now it's just the whole drat market. While the AAA space has some unique problems of it's own, the indie space is basically cannibalizing itself with the sheer volume of stuff targeted at smaller markets... and those markets are small. Every time you hear an indie title crossing millions of sales, that is at the expense of dozens of titles that will never find an audience because why play X game when everyone's talking up Y game that's in the same space? Why not just buy and play the best, most-known experience instead of spending your money on a relatively-unknown experiment? How many deckbuilders have died for Slay the Spire or Monster Train? How many action roguelikes-good ones, even- never broke out of the shadow of Issac or Gungeon? God forbid the small mountain of adventure-platformer corpses resting at the feet of Hollow Knight. Are all these forgotten games good? gently caress no, most of them are aggressively mediocre or even outright bad, but we're no longer in an age where a mediocre experience is worth anyone's time or money because you can do better for the same price which is not a new problem for gaming, but we kinda forgot about it after the volume of titles released fell off a cliff for about a decade with the advent of HD Gaming. We've been here before- the market is bigger now, but there's also way more developers making way more games that are way more accessible then the pre-HD era could ever dream of.

With all that said... game pricing is probably fine? At least in the indie space.

Like, gaming is a hobby. It's something people do with their idle time. It's one of the first expenses cut off in difficult times (and we're in difficult times, even as entertainment-starved as the pandemic has made the world) and in order to sell, has to line up with the value the consumer puts in them. And if the consumer thinks the average indie title experience is worth $10-20, then guess what? It's worth $10-$20. Blah blah, something something ethical consumption yadda yadda eat the rich, but when you play in a capitalist market, you play by capitalist rules. It's not on the consumer to open their wallets wider against their will for the good of the goods provider, it's on provider to realistically manage costs and scope of a game while still putting out the best product the can manage within those constraints. If they can't? They fail, their studio dies, and while I hope every single indie failed dev had a backup plan, enough money to afford somewhere to live, and never spent a night hungry, it's also not my responsibility to make sure they were provided those by buying their game if I don't think is worth the dosh. If they release a product the consumer will pay more for, great, charge more. There have been indie success stories at the $30 and even $40 price point. But in a market flooded with developers and games where everyone's jockeying to create the next indie darling, you just can't assume you're going to succeed just because you did the thing anymore. If you aren't filling an empty space or providing something so pristine it stands out head and shoulders above the rest in already-known markets... either manage your costs and expectations and make something you can afford to make and sell at a price where it's probably going to sell in a market where people have dozens or even hundreds of other options, or good luck.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah i'd say game pricing is fine. we've just gone from having 10 great indie games a year a decade ago, mostly of the platformer or puzzle variety, to having a couple hundred a year across a wide range of genres. and then the many many indie games that are simply good, or OK. and then the thousands of indie games that are mediocre to bad

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Personally speaking, I basically haven't been willing to pay full price for any game more expensive than 35$ or so in years, because I rarely think anymore that what you get for that money is actually worth what you're paying for it. There is the very rare exception, but by and large? I just don't buy games any earlier than at least six months after they were released anymore, because I don't think the pricing scheme that the AAA industry is getting away with is actually justified for 90+% of the games it produces.

Indie game pricing is largely pretty okay for what it is, although even there, the quality difference between two different 15$ games can be so enormous that it's really just ridiculous.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

repiv posted:

The NieR coming soon is a remake of the original NieR, which was previously stuck on the PS3/360

Automata is mostly standalone but does call back to the original NieR so given the choice it might be better to play the remake first
Automata is a weird one, I played it before the original and think the callbacks to previous games were great as vague distant history, so to speak, and playing earlier games later felt natural. I think it could go either way honestly.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

I haven't gotten around to playing my own copy yet due to a work-related lack of time, but by all accounts it's basically Banished with a post-apoc theme. Seemed solid enough to at least give it a shot, but if you're tired of Banished already, it might not add a lot to the genre.

Does it do anything more in-depth with the formula? Because I enjoyed Banished (at least until I realized that the biggest killers, frostbite and starvation, frequently murdered AI who had warm clothes and food at home but were too stupid to get to them in time), but if it's literally just reskinned Banished without anything else, I'd rather just play Banished again.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Trust is the biggest asset. If people know your game will be worth their time, they will drop 60 bucks easily. If they don't, they won't take the risk on an unknown quality when they have 20 other games they haven't gotten around to starting yet. If you haven't earned enough trust in your ability to deliver, do not price your games above 10 bucks unless you think the game is just that good or you're able to wait it out until you've earned that trust from word-of-mouth from early buyers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Does it do anything more in-depth with the formula? Because I enjoyed Banished (at least until I realized that the biggest killers, frostbite and starvation, frequently murdered AI who had warm clothes and food at home but were too stupid to get to them in time), but if it's literally just reskinned Banished without anything else, I'd rather just play Banished again.
I'll have to get back to you about that once I find the time to really play it beyond a few minutes of just glancing over the basics. Crunch time pretty much ends this week, so by the weekend I'll be free to put some time into it, if you don't mind waiting that long.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

I'll have to get back to you about that once I find the time to really play it beyond a few minutes of just glancing over the basics. Crunch time pretty much ends this week, so by the weekend I'll be free to put some time into it, if you don't mind waiting that long.

Yeah that's no problem, thanks! Also don't worry about it if stuff gets crunchy... goofy 15ish base building games aren't worth sweating too hard. :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah that's no problem, thanks! Also don't worry about it if stuff gets crunchy... goofy 15ish base building games aren't worth sweating too hard. :)
Nah, it's fine really, just some end-of-semester stress, you know how it is. I've been wanting to get into it anyway, I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Feel free to remind me if I get distracted and forget, I basically won't have anything to do for at least the next two or three weeks anyway.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I bought Left 4 Dead for 50 euros way back and like half a year later it was on sale for like €10. I think it was one of the first cases of super swift price drops. Since then I've reduced my buying of full price releases by a lot. Especially in today's saturated marketplace I don't really mind getting a game 1-2 years after release. I spend about the same amount on games as 10 years ago except now I get 10x as many games for the same amount of money.

With developers coming back a little from early and deep discounts and some indie devs setting and keeping a price longterm, or even increasing their price over time, I have sometimes bought somewhat higher priced games again but I only do that for truly amazing looking games, in the end it means the same amount of my money being spread over fewer developers.

Good pricing schemes can probably be used to suck a bit of money away from the competition but I don't think there's any pricing scheme where every developer in the current oversaturated market will make enough money just because that amount of money is not available from the people buying games.

Also I think the idea of a single perfect price point for a certain class of indie game is a bit of a fallacy because some price points have been succesful because nobody else was doing it at the time. The very first Humble Bundle was highly succesful because it was a bunch of good indie games at a price point that was never seen before. When there were multiple parties each releasing multiple bundles a week their value dropped tremendously. Granted, that was also because the quality of the games dropped but there have also been plenty of high quality bundles since then that have not seen the success of that very first bundle.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Desperados III 80% off in WinGameStore! https://www.wingamestore.com/product/11734/Desperados-III/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This is ridiculously worth the money. Buy it.

Seriously. The game is that good.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

The Digital Deluxe edition is slightly more expensive (£1.40 more) and includes the season pass for all the DLC;

https://www.wingamestore.com/product/11644/Desperados-III-Digital-Deluxe-Edition/

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is that a Commandos style game or more like XCOM?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

iGestalt posted:

The Digital Deluxe edition is slightly more expensive (£1.40 more) and includes the season pass for all the DLC;

https://www.wingamestore.com/product/11644/Desperados-III-Digital-Deluxe-Edition/

I'd buy it, but I still haven't finished Shadow Tactics, got 5 levels in many years ago and it's waiting for me to pick it up again. :( I wanna finish it first!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Elman posted:

Is that a Commandos style game or more like XCOM?
Commandos. It's definitely a Commandos style game. If you liked Shadow Tactics, you will love this.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Their site has some really good deals at the moment;

https://www.wingamestore.com/product/11677/Crusader-Kings-III-Royal-Edition/

Crusader Kings 3 Royal Edition for £25 - this includes the base game, and the first three DLC's. Of them, only the first one is out but is priced at £5, and the second DLC will probably be £10 - 15. So if you've been waiting to pick up CK3, this is a real good deal.

All the Paradox games are on pretty steep discount, including all the CK2, EU4, HoI4, Imperator and Stellaris DLC's.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Desparados III is indeed great. Best game in the genre.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Slanderer posted:

Does anyone here have a standalone Steam Link that they use? I'm using Steam Link on a raspberry pi, and I think the latest update to either the steam link software or the steam client has sorta broken it (a black text box is overlayed on the screen at all times lol). I'm just wondering if this is a raspberry pi thing or if its something they just broke in all steam links, so i'd be curious to know if anyone else had an issue.

I have one, and I used it just yesterday with no problems.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just a heads up that Desperados 3 is also included in the Game Pass and that got a huge ammount of good games added lately and the next batch is coming just in 2 days.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Game Pass is absolutely a good deal, yeah. If you can accept that you won't be owning your game forever (or at least as long as the service exists) then get Gamepass, because the amount of games per dollar paid is crazy.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Orv posted:

Do you though

I would honestly buy a Drakengard Remake if only to remind myself that it was an actual game that was commercially released and not some weird fever dream I had.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jagged Jim posted:

I would honestly buy a Drakengard Remake if only to remind myself that it was an actual game that was commercially released and not some weird fever dream I had.
It was both and you know it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I finished Shadow Tactics the other week and I've got Desparados installed on Gamepass ready to play, but gently caress it, I enjoyed ST so much that Digital Deluxe Edition price is too good to pass up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

I finished Shadow Tactics the other week and I've got Desparados installed on Gamepass ready to play, but gently caress it, I enjoyed ST so much that Digital Deluxe Edition price is too good to pass up.
You know what? For once, it really is. The DLC is Okay.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Shadow Tactics is also 90% off on Steam again. I'd missed the window last time, but with Deperados 3 also being so cheap I might just skip it, since the two games seem very similar but I enjoyed the latter's demo more than the former's. Plus cowboys>samurai, every time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you like the game, there's really no downside to a 90% off deal for basically twice the content on something you enjoy anyway. Shadow Tactics is plain good.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Desperados 3 is indeed similar to Shadow Tactics but just more polished and well designed, IMO. But both are great.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cardiovorax posted:

If you like the game, there's really no downside to a 90% off deal for basically twice the content on something you enjoy anyway. Shadow Tactics is plain good.

Time and the fear of burning out on the gameplay, really. :shrug:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Time and the fear of burning out on the gameplay, really. :shrug:
Fair. I treat it as a puzzle game myself. An hour a week here, an hour a week there. Keeps the burnout away. I sold out and grabbed Shadow Tactics off of Epic, though, so no judgment.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Game Pass has been good for my wallet. If a game is on Game Pass, and I don't get around to playing it, then no matter how cheap it gets on Steam I don't buy it, because like - if I was *going* to play it I would have done while it was on Game Pass. If that makes sense. It's a check for my stupid impulse buying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gamepass has dissuaded me from buying a lot of games I'm only semi-interested in, because I think "eh, it'll probably end up on Gamepass eventually" and I'm always proven correct.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I was not expecting a new Wargame: Red Dragon DLC to get announced today lol

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Davedave24 posted:

I have one, and I used it just yesterday with no problems.

Thanks. Looks like they already released a new version for Raspberry Pi that fixed the issue, luckily for me

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Palpek posted:

Check out Ultrakill instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFoEoEzex7Q&t=8s

A game where the only way to get healed is to bathe in enemy blood. It has a certain Serious Sam enemy swarm feel to it despite playing differently. It has a demo.

That bar on the side that is constantly going down triggers my negative OCD so bad, jeez. Bar has to go positive not negative durrr. Didn't even know it could bother me so much.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Weird, Desperados III is now only 70% off and on "back-order" which I don't think I've seen for a digital game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think that's even physically possible, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
They can run out of keys and it takes time to get a new batch. It's not uncommon. I was able to get the deluxe version for 12 bucks but they did say it may take up to a week before they get a key to me.