Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

looking forward to having to approach certain parts of the country like a hot zone for the next decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

NeonPunk posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1374379952691277830

Seems pretty good to me at first glance.

But looking at the vaccinations rates across the population we've had since it first started makes me wonder if they're having some problem trying to just get enough people to do their shots. It seems like they just want to open up access to everyone to keep the vaccinations rates constant so nobody notices that there are quite large amounts of people who still haven't got the vaccines yet.

It's so they can make chuds mad at Biden for not providing enough vaccines

Can't wait 5 more weeks OPEN ER UP

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

MorrisBae posted:

NY dropped their restrictions to 50+ this morning and...there's still thousands of appointments available

Maybe they'll drop it to 40+

Wonder if a lot of the people actually wanting to get vaccinated have already done it, and the "opening of the floodgates" turns out to be anything but.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Insanite posted:

where the hell did the "it's not cases we're trying to control--it's hospitalizations" line come from?

I think the grain of truth here is that this is the reason given for vaccinating the ancient first. They're the ones most likely to end up in the hospital and if they're not clogging up the hospitals the mortality rate drops sharply.

Of course that's just for the priority of giving vaccines, you still need to actually lock down until everyone has it and the openerup set is still stupid as gently caress

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Insanite posted:

Rapid tests are good enough to keep a room full of people safe, right?

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1374360423248576512?s=20

They're not? Hm. This seems stupid.

Chappelle has been doing standup the whole time, he doesn't give a poo poo.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Freezer posted:

Wonder if a lot of the people actually wanting to get vaccinated have already done it, and the "opening of the floodgates" turns out to be anything but.

Also possible snowbirds got the shot in Florida or wherever they vacation, and who knows how they're accounting for those people in public statistics (are they counted as NY resident vaccinated? FL resident vaccinated?)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Soap Scum posted:

wait but that's exactly what happened and he was uncharacteristically Actually Cool about it https://mashable.com/2012/07/17/pitbull-is-going-to-alaska/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NrllHwHq7w

I actually have respect for Pittbull because of that

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

brugroffil posted:

I thought they were fine for people with moderate or worse symptoms? not as good as rtPCR though

They're good for a protocol where there's repeated sampling over time, e.g. if you test all your nurses and doctors at the hospital in the morning every single day (maybe at the start of the afternoon too). In that case it could make a big difference in population spread, though you could still miss cases. The point is that it's a lot better than flying blind if you have to be flying.

So pretty god drat useless at the door to a comedy show

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Freezer posted:

I bet a lot of people are waiting for it to be easier -- people who have already had COVID, don't want to cut in line, are busy with work/school/kids, don't know how to sign up, figure they've made it this far and can wait a little longer, etc.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Pittsbullgh

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

smoobles posted:

one of the funniest parts of this pandemic from the standpoint of sadness is that these vaccines are going to require an annual booster, which means half of the population stoked about getting vaccinated (or doing it for the donuts) is gonna forget to get it again. it's gonna be a forever pandemic even w/ good vaccines available

ow my brain lol

My thought when the shutdown happened a year ago (knowing the powers that be would never shut down the economy unless essentially compelled by God) was "oh this is going to pretty much ruin everything forever" and I honestly feel that put me in a better mental position than anyone who still has a hint of optimism today. It helps being aware of how humanity has responded to climate change, and understand that in the face of species-ending cataclysm we collectively refuse to do anything but make number go up

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I bet a lot of people are waiting for it to be easier -- people who have already had COVID, don't want to cut in line, are busy with work/school/kids, don't know how to sign up, figure they've made it this far and can wait a little longer, etc.

i'd probably be in this camp if my state weren't hellbent on opening things up before >15% of its population is vaccinated.

realizing that your government is trying to hurt you is a good motivator.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Insanite posted:

i'd probably be in this camp if my state weren't hellbent on opening things up before >15% of its population is vaccinated.

realizing that your government is trying to hurt you is a good motivator.

Yeah, I was content with waiting a little longer until it became clear that I was putting too much faith in the system.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

looking forward to having to approach certain parts of the country like a hot zone for the next decade

Looking forward to entirely avoiding certain parts of the country for the rest of my life

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

only thing that ever made me feel that way. and the concert actually featured a lot of indigenous performers too. all around good response imo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Source4Leko posted:

Looking forward to entirely avoiding certain parts of the country for the rest of my life

It's going to be illegal in Kentucky soon to look at a police officer in a way he doesn't like

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
MY FIANCE just got a covid vax appointment for saturday in Duluth, MN same place I got mine last weekend. Meaning we get to take four 320 mile round trip drives to get fully vaccinated. Totally worth it and there are worse places to spend a day trip, but gently caress.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1374395670371520526

dxt posted:

MY FIANCE just got a covid vax appointment for saturday in Duluth, MN same place I got mine last weekend. Meaning we get to take four 320 mile round trip drives to get fully vaccinated. Totally worth it and there are worse places to spend a day trip, but gently caress.

happy wedding fellow-stater

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A lot of my neighbors and coworkers are like that - they're planning on getting the vaccine but aren't in any particular hurry to do so. Basically waiting for a clinic at work, when it's offered if they have to go to the doctor for something, and poo poo like that. They'll get it but have no urgency to make it happen soon.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
What's going on with kids 16 and under getting vaccinated? I read an article saying late 2021, or even 2022 for kids. But aren't clinical trials just starting? Would the CDC or whoever approve vaccines for kids with preliminary data?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

A lot of my neighbors and coworkers are like that - they're planning on getting the vaccine but aren't in any particular hurry to do so. Basically waiting for a clinic at work, when it's offered if they have to go to the doctor for something, and poo poo like that. They'll get it but have no urgency to make it happen soon.

Not that I'm not in a hurry, but just opening the floodgates has got me in something similar. Last time I checked there were no appointments available. I can't get one in the neighboring states, so that leaves Ohio. Unfortunately, I live in Cincinnati, which is close enough that north and north east run into Dayton and Columbus forcing me to go 200+ miles, and I just don't have the leeway to do that right now.

I'm just going to wait a month for the feeding frenzy to die down, because, the systems for vaccine distribution are scattershot at best.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Phil Layshow posted:

What's going on with kids 16 and under getting vaccinated? I read an article saying late 2021, or even 2022 for kids. But aren't clinical trials just starting? Would the CDC or whoever approve vaccines for kids with preliminary data?

Fauci said January 2022 is the target for kid vaccinations

Moderna's just starting trials with 1/10 the dose of the adult vaccine

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Phil Layshow posted:

kids can't get covid, fortunately

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Phil Layshow posted:

It's a mess is what it is. Clinical trials for kids down to 12 (one Moderna down to 6) only just starting, with trials for younger kids only starting after these older kid trials report preliminary data. Really not seeing how my toddler gets vaccinated until 2022, which means it's remote school for the older one until then even if they can in principle get a vaccine earlier.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

MorrisBae posted:

aaaahhhhh this sucks

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I try not to complain about the pediatric vaccine situation because most adults globally aren't getting vaccinated until 2022 (or later) but:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

aaaahhhhh this sucks

Also American society is driving for full-scale return to normalcy despite ~30% of the population not being eligible for any vaccine for several months.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nocturtle posted:

It's a mess is what it is. Clinical trials for kids down to 12 (one Moderna down to 6) only just starting, with trials for younger kids only starting after these older kid trials report preliminary data. Really not seeing how my toddler gets vaccinated until 2022, which means it's remote school for the older one until then even if they can in principle get a vaccine earlier.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar. 16, 2021-- Moderna Inc. (Nasdaq: MRNA), a biotechnology company pioneering messenger RNA (mRNA) therapeutics and vaccines, today announced that the first participants have been dosed in the Phase 2/3 study, called the KidCOVE study, of mRNA-1273, the Company’s vaccine candidate against COVID-19, in children ages 6 months to less than 12 years.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

pancake rabbit posted:

got my first jab of pfizer juice this morning :stoked:

the mass vax clinic here in cleveland was the only aspect of pandemic response i've seen through this whole ordeal that was actually...competent? didn't have to wait at all even though there were a couple hundred people getting vaxxed, the needle was in my arm 30 seconds after i sat down

turns out the military is pretty good at doing the same thing over and over to a bunch of people arranged into lines

Wolstein Center?

I got my first jab there on St. Paddy's Day. They're doing a fantastically competent job there.

:respek:

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Iron Crowned posted:

Not that I'm not in a hurry, but just opening the floodgates has got me in something similar. Last time I checked there were no appointments available. I can't get one in the neighboring states, so that leaves Ohio. Unfortunately, I live in Cincinnati, which is close enough that north and north east run into Dayton and Columbus forcing me to go 200+ miles, and I just don't have the leeway to do that right now.

I'm just going to wait a month for the feeding frenzy to die down, because, the systems for vaccine distribution are scattershot at best.

I also live in Cincinnati and was able to use the ArmorVax App (lol sell me) to get appointments for the 30th up in Springfield. Still a bit of a loving drive but a little under 200 miles. Of course I did that literally hours after the open announcement.

Honestly I'd say just look on vaccinespotter.org for something nearby before the opening date and just loving go. Old chuds should choke anyway!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Germany didn’t get the ‘over by Easter’ message

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar. 16, 2021-- Moderna Inc. (Nasdaq: MRNA), a biotechnology company pioneering messenger RNA (mRNA) therapeutics and vaccines, today announced that the first participants have been dosed in the Phase 2/3 study, called the KidCOVE study, of mRNA-1273, the Company’s vaccine candidate against COVID-19, in children ages 6 months to less than 12 years.

Oooops, you're right the Moderna trial is actually down to 6 months old. Actually looked into getting our toddler into that one but it's a 6.5 hour drive to the nearest study site....

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

MorrisBae posted:

Fwiw I hear J&J will be starting infant trials soon, since their shot is a more traditional design than the other two and is similar to vaccines that are currently used safely on kids. The others are probably going to start stepping down in age bit by bit, like 12 year olds and so on. I'm expecting my kids to have access to the J&J well before the others.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

I try not to complain about the pediatric vaccine situation because most adults globally aren't getting vaccinated until 2022 (or later) but:

Also American society is driving for full-scale return to normalcy despite ~30% of the population not being eligible for any vaccine for several months.

Open or closed, it really sucks that it's taking so long to vaccinate everyone. I'm pretty upset about how slow it's going internationally too.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

mastershakeman posted:

Huh! Seriously? That's actually really good news.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

An almost unified Danish parliament decided that we're basically opening up fully once the 50+ group has been vaccinated (note: at-risk under 50s were recently lumped in with everyone else). The only party outside the agreement had issues with vaccine passports (reverse Judenstern) and have staunchly been in the "Open 'er up in a way that kills as many as possible" camp.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

"like" a hot zone

in ten years half the country will be a physically Hot Zone

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

My thought when the shutdown happened a year ago (knowing the powers that be would never shut down the economy unless essentially compelled by God) was "oh this is going to pretty much ruin everything forever" and I honestly feel that put me in a better mental position than anyone who still has a hint of optimism today. It helps being aware of how humanity has responded to climate change, and understand that in the face of species-ending cataclysm we collectively refuse to do anything but make number go up

Actually after covid, I don't think climate change will be "species ending". I think it'll play out like a deadlier version of covid. Rich people will become mildly inconvenienced/move north, poor people will die in the millions, and climate change will continue to get worse while the population shrinks because the people at the top will always demand to be comfortable even on a dying planet.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

It would be super helpful if people itt post links to pediatric vaccine clinical trial registrations as they come across them. I've been trying to look out for them myself but am real dumb and somehow keep missing them. Definitely will try enrolling our kids if getting to the study location is a single-day affair.

For reference the link to the Moderna pediatric trial registration is here.

smoobles posted:

Actually after covid, I don't think climate change will be "species ending". I think it'll play out like a deadlier version of covid. Rich people will become mildly inconvenienced/move north, poor people will die in the millions, and climate change will continue to get worse while the population shrinks because the people at the top will always demand to be comfortable even on a dying planet.

Some of the more dire climate change projections make it clear there will be no safe harbor even for the rich. In the past I'd have said those outcomes were unlikely because they required people continuing extensive fossil fuel emissions even as their catastrophic impact is directly felt (or climate sensitivity being much higher than previously estimated, oops!). Now though it seems a safe bet that people will continue to choose the worst possible option even as the disaster's unfolding around them.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 17:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

smoobles posted:

woof buddy, go check out whats gonna happen to the north lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

welcome to the KidCOVE!!