Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

It's good. Build Divers also has a good dub but why would you watch it.

Sometimes I want to be able to look away and not miss something a character says because I don't understand Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
No I mean why would you watch Build Divers, period.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh I was talking about Build Fighters with its funny southeast Asia English dub. I haven't seen divers.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Because there are short segments where giant robots gently caress eachother up

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Penguin Kapool had some fun moments

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

No I mean why would you watch Build Divers, period.

I mean, it's not AGE. I started watching it, but I'm not exactly tripping over myself to continue.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I'm confused, does Reconguista take place before or after Turn A

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yes

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

wdarkk posted:

Re:Rise EN dub is complete now it seems. Gonna do a rewatch with a friend sometime.

:woop: Glad to hear it's complete.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh I was talking about Build Fighters with its funny southeast Asia English dub. I haven't seen divers.

Despite what happened with the Build Fighters dub, both Divers and ReRise have pretty good dubs. I know I was surprised when I tried out Divers's dub. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I mean, it's not AGE.

Yeah, AGE is better.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Willo567 posted:

Absolutely everything about it and everyone involved says before and that's what makes sense.

But Tomino says after.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Szmitten posted:

Absolutely everything about it and everyone involved says before and that's what makes sense.

But Tomino says after.

I prefer to imagine them as alternate timelines and/or alternate interpretations of a prophecy until there's canonical hard evidence to the contrary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Szmitten posted:

But Tomino says after.

The Borjarnons in Turn A are in much better shape than the suits you see in Jaburo in Greco, and Moonlight Butterfly and other Turn A tech is widely distributed through the suits in Greco.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

G-Reco and Turn A are so distant from everything else, including each other, that it doesn't really matter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

G-Reco and Turn A are so distant from everything else, including each other, that it doesn't really matter.

G-Reco is in the direct aftermath of the Universal Century, and the events of that still have repercussions on its plot.

If Turn A came before G-Reco, you'd expect the Kuntala to be a huge deal in it.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

G-Reco is in the direct aftermath of the Universal Century, and the events of that still have repercussions on its plot.

If Turn A came before G-Reco, you'd expect the Kuntala to be a huge deal in it.

People kept saying this in this thread but I’m not sure why. Pretty sure G-Reco has uh several shows worth of material between it and UC. That is to say if it comes before Turn A at all. Which I guess it does because Tomino decided it did.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sam Sanskrit posted:

People kept saying this in this thread but I’m not sure why. Pretty sure G-Reco has uh several shows worth of material between it and UC. That is to say if it comes before Turn A at all. Which I guess it does because Tomino decided it did.

The Kuntala are specifically discriminated against because they're descendants of people raised as livestock at the end of the UC, which means that that happened recently enough for it to still exist in cultural memory, and that stories set in the same region before G-Reco and after the UC would have to have it be a rawer, more serious issue for G-Reco's depiction of Kuntala prejudice (faded, but still present and widespread) to make sense. Both G-Reco and Turn A prominently feature the country of Ameria, and therefore Turn A is required to happen afterwards. Turn A has no Kuntala discrimination and happens so far after the UC that even the UC suits they dig up are replicas from a previous era (Kapools aren't Capules, and Borjarnons aren't Zakus - they're newer suits built on old designs).

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Darth Walrus posted:

The Kuntala are specifically discriminated against because they're descendants of people raised as livestock at the end of the UC, which means that that happened recently enough for it to still exist in cultural memory, and that stories set in the same region before G-Reco and after the UC would have to have it be a rawer, more serious issue for G-Reco's depiction of Kuntala prejudice (faded, but still present and widespread) to make sense. Both G-Reco and Turn A prominently feature the country of Ameria, and therefore Turn A is required to happen afterwards. Turn A has no Kuntala discrimination and happens so far after the UC that even the UC suits they dig up are replicas from a previous era (Kapools aren't Capules, and Borjarnons aren't Zakus - they're newer suits built on old designs).

I'm sorry. I'm not to g reco yet but you're telling me people become cannibals and raise people to eat???????????????

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ramadu posted:

I'm sorry. I'm not to g reco yet but you're telling me people become cannibals and raise people to eat???????????????

Depends on if you consider the Kuntala people I suppose

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ramadu posted:

It was in the backstory of G-Reco and it doesn't make slot of sense but you're supposed to just roll with it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a stand-in for anti-burakimin discrimination issues but it's just so wild it's hard for me to really develop an opinion about it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Xarbala posted:

It was in the backstory of G-Reco and it doesn't make slot of sense but you're supposed to just roll with it.
I think it makes more sense if you think that they just selected a group that was already there, and then decided that they were the ones who drew the short straw. Still pretty insane but it comes up in fiction a lot e.g. Soylent Green, The Road

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the Kuntala stuff is one of the weirder setting elements in G-Reco which is saying a lot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

G-Reco/Turn-A timeline arguments feel like a worse version of the 0.999...=1 stuff.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the new show has a concept that doesn't exist in the one made decades before it, i don't think it really makes for a lore slam dunk either way

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I don't even think they brought the cannibalism stuff when it was in SRW X

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the new show has a concept that doesn't exist in the one made decades before it, i don't think it really makes for a lore slam dunk either way

Why? They could have chosen to integrate the new show's lore with the old one if they wanted it to serve as a sequel rather than a prequel, and they very much didn't.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

because poo poo can just be retconned. CC is weird anyway because it also sucked up every AU, so i don't think the two shows need to particularly align

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Willo567 posted:

Tomino claimed it to be set after, Sunrise claims before

Ramadu posted:

It possibly ties into the food shortages that are in the background of G-Savior(which is the current endpoint for the Universal Century proper)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Willo567 posted:

I don't even think they brought the cannibalism stuff when it was in SRW X

I think it was mentioned, since it's an important part of Mask's motivation, but it doesn't really dwell on it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The cannibalism is only mentioned in passing in the show too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

dogsicle posted:

because poo poo can just be retconned. CC is weird anyway because it also sucked up every AU, so i don't think the two shows need to particularly align

I just keep picturing that when someone does a Turn A HD Remaster ala Seed they just splice in something about Kuntala ala Hayden Christianson in the Star Wars movies.

Personally I think thematically it makes more sense for Turn A to come first and G-Reco to represent the logical progression of Turn A's Edwardian society into a post-industrial and space age society with minimal concept of what war really is thanks to the outcome of Turn A "breaking the cycle" that perpetrated the Dark History.

Droyer posted:

The cannibalism is only mentioned in passing in the show too.

As with most things mentioned in passing when a piece of media has a sufficiently large fandom, this becomes a heated point of debate and speculation that leaves the original authors scratching their heads.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I just keep picturing that when someone does a Turn A HD Remaster ala Seed they just splice in something about Kuntala ala Hayden Christianson in the Star Wars movies.

Pretty sure Turn A is already in HD but if they want to do a 4k remaster I'm down.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Right but you are actually skipping over the part that’s not true which is that the Kuntala are from late UC. I’m pretty sure this is not actually said or implied by anything. Just that they are from whatever era immediately precedes the show. Which due to the nature of Turn A could be basically anything.

EDIT: As a side I note I think we have been getting Tominos word on this backwards. I think he decided that g reco was AFTER Turn A specifically so the kids would not have to live through the black history. But whatever his decision was it seems to have been made retroactively in a spur of the moment kind of thing so whatever

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 24, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Tomino claimed it to be set after, Sunrise claims before

Tomino's claims shocked pretty much everyone else who worked on the show.

He may have also been drunk at the time.

Even aside from that, though, I find placing Turn A at the end is much more satisfying, and not just because it's arguably the best Gundam series while G-Reco is, at best, a mixed bag.

Turn A is a story about war being stopped, Earth's long lost children returning home, and swords turning into plowshares. It has a feeling of ending about it.

G-Reco, meanwhile, is about a war spinning back up, with a resolution that doesn't really resolve much. The core conflicts of the setting are mostly untouched, the terrifying weapons of war can be rebuilt (the G-Self was almost a mass production model) and no-one seems to have learned much. It's hard to believe some dumbass won't kick thinks off again a few years down the line. It's not a satisfying large scale conclusion. Heck, it hardly feels like a conclusion to itself.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

G Reco simultaneously takes place before and after every single Gundam show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

Tomino's claims shocked pretty much everyone else who worked on the show.

He may have also been drunk at the time.

Even aside from that, though, I find placing Turn A at the end is much more satisfying, and not just because it's arguably the best Gundam series while G-Reco is, at best, a mixed bag.

Turn A is a story about war being stopped, Earth's long lost children returning home, and swords turning into plowshares. It has a feeling of ending about it.

G-Reco, meanwhile, is about a war spinning back up, with a resolution that doesn't really resolve much. The core conflicts of the setting are mostly untouched, the terrifying weapons of war can be rebuilt (the G-Self was almost a mass production model) and no-one seems to have learned much. It's hard to believe some dumbass won't kick thinks off again a few years down the line. It's not a satisfying large scale conclusion. Heck, it hardly feels like a conclusion to itself.

G-Reco takes place after an era of peace and regrowth so long and successful that people have literally forgotten how to fight wars and the Earth's environment has almost completely repaired itself despite continued human habitation. That is a plausible extension of Turn A's swords to plowshares ending.

Turn A's ending feels more like a conclusion insofar as it presents the idea of "and then conflict was solved and we finally learned to live in peace this time", but depending on how cynically you read Gundam it's equally plausible to assume that the cycle of human conflict will continue forever as part of our inherent nature and that G-Reco is just another example of that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

War is essential to human nature, the moonrace conflict may have ended but I don't buy for a second that that means all war has ended.

Kanos posted:

but depending on how cynically you read Gundam it's equally plausible to assume that the cycle of human conflict will continue forever as part of our inherent nature and that G-Reco is just another example of that.
I don't think this is necessarily cynical.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think this is necessarily cynical.

I'm reminded of the hilarious but poignant bit in Wing where they shot their Gundams into the sun at the end of the TV series because War Was Over, Forever and then had to frantically go retrieve them to deal with the Mariemaia Army in Endless Waltz almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kanos posted:

I'm reminded of the hilarious but poignant bit in Wing where they shot their Gundams into the sun at the end of the TV series because War Was Over, Forever and then had to frantically go retrieve them to deal with the Mariemaia Army in Endless Waltz almost immediately.

Then they blow them up because this time definitely for sure.