Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i never understood this one

i know its supposed to be spelled democratic party, but what difference does that make? how is that a dogwhistle?

Its very strange at this point. While Democrat party started as a slur from talk radio, its pretty much colloquial term people use now. I would bet Democrat party is more widely used than democratic party now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

quote:

The Steve and I then discussed this in the IK/Mod conspiracy and we both agreed (along with other mods/IKs who chimed in later and for the most part, agreed with what we discussed) that while the term can be appropriately used when discussing this issue, it was seemingly being used by some posters as one neat trick to own their posting enemies and shout into the void rather than have a discussion about how terrible and awful the camps are and leading to really stupid derails.

Thinking about this quote. Acknowledges concentration camp is accurate. Acknowledges the child camps are terrible and awful but please please stop using the concentration camp to accurately describe them becomes it cuts through other posters dumb arguments so well.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Raccooon posted:

Its very strange at this point. While Democrat party started as a slur from talk radio, its pretty much colloquial term people use now. I would bet Democrat party is more widely used than democratic party now.

I guarantee it, most of my friends in the past who weren't as involved in politics or talking about it would say "democrat party" constantly. At this point it's fast becoming a shibboleth for democrat insiders or people who wish they were/like to pretend like they are

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lmao she 10000% is doing this because "Kamala ought to be enough for you people" is the most infuriating thing in the entire universe and it appears to be the Biden's response to loving everything. TDucks just got a taste of it for the first time.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

and the camps were literally originally opened to hold refugees Germany didn't want.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Just for those new posters who might not be in the know. I better not catch any of you using these terms here.

1. Girlboss
2. Democrat party
3. Defund the police
4. poo poo sucker
5. NoJoe
6. Snowflake
7. Karen
8. Frog
9. Yank
10. Republic party
11. Obungler
12. Liberal
13. Worm
14. Concentration Camp
15. ????

champ
kiddo
babe

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
libs r scum

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

lol they've now shut the whole thing down until the mods/admins can figure out what is going on

to be honest I kind of respect it, directly skipping to the thread and topic closure part of the QCS "process" feels substantially more honest than the usual way of doing things

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

LGD posted:

lol they've now shut the whole thing down until the mods/admins can figure out what is going on

to be honest I kind of respect it, directly skipping to the thread and topic closure part of the QCS "process" feels substantially more honest than the usual way of doing things

after much talking and soul searching, the mods and i have come to a decision that i hope is agreeable with all parties involved:

get fukt lmao

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Out in the wild "Democrat party" is definitely a tell for chuds who are doing the whole pretending to be an independent observer schtick but here it's just a way to get on libs' nerves and that's what makes it fun to say. It's as simple as that

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

LGD posted:

Looking forward to a novella-length post that boils down to "D&D mods will now use 'trolling' as the reason for probing users who say the no-no words, nothing else will change"

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I’ve only really heard the term “dogwhistle” used in terms of racism, but that follows since democrats believe that they are owed every black and brown person’s vote and also seem to love to speak for them on the bird site.

Either way if Dems’ skin weren’t thin as tissue paper the term wouldn’t be funny.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Lmao she 10000% is doing this because "Kamala ought to be enough for you people" is the most infuriating thing in the entire universe and it appears to be the Biden's response to loving everything. TDucks just got a taste of it for the first time.

It's also really dumb if she doesn't have names of people she wants, because right now her demand is as easily fulfilled by Dinesh D'souza or Tulsi Gabbard as anyone she actually wants there

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

It's technically only a concentration camp if it contains Boers

if they don't contain Boers they're just sparkling work camps

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Loucks posted:

I’ve only really heard the term “dogwhistle” used in terms of racism, but that follows since democrats believe that they are owed every black and brown person’s vote and also seem to love to speak for them on the bird site.

Either way if Dems’ skin weren’t thin as tissue paper the term wouldn’t be funny.
Which begs the question:

"Why hide your disdain for the Democrat party?"

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I only read the first 6 lines of that and now i have cancer

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I'm not sure what exactly "democrat party" is supposed to be a dogwhistle for.

It's obviously just said because democrats don't like it and it gets under their skin. that's not what a dogwhistle is though. democrat party is just a petty insult lol

like the whole point of a dogwhistle is only dogs can hear it lol no one is hiding their disdain for the democrat party when they say democrat party

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

the scariest thing of all: wrongthink

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

It's obviously just said because democrats don't like it and it gets under their skin. that's not what a dogwhistle is though. democrat party is just a petty insult lol

like the whole point of a dogwhistle is only dogs can hear it lol no one is hiding their disdain for the democrat party when they say democrat party

stop gaslighting me!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

It’s a pretty sly insult in that any normal human being isn’t going to understand why the recipient is so irritated by it but that’s as much because it’s a stupid thing to find insulting as anything else

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
remember back when the D+D lib brigade said biden was going to close the camps, and now they're whining about how dare people still call them concentration camps

loving lol

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

well it is a dogwhistle in that its a phrase that connotes separate meaning to those in the know (the dogs being political partisans in both camps), it's just used differently than most dogwhistles because as you note the primary intent is to annoy people, and as you note the coded "I do not like or respect the Democrat(ic) party on a fundamental level" message is usually also entirely congruent with what is being explicitly said by the person using the phrase

it also has minor use irl as a right-wing shibboleth, but that's obviously not the case with its use on these forums

I genuinely don't think it's lowering the quality of discourse, but it is fundamentally about a half-step up from Rivals punning

LGD has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Mar 23, 2021

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Blockade posted:

Why do you hear a lot of people in lib and lib-adjacent circles talk with a 'child' voice? In terms of tone, mannerisms, using words like 'icky' and so on? Doesn't seem to be region specific.

If I say 'that loving sucks' then I'm a crude, frightening and aggressive voice that should be scolded and kept away from the more sensitive intellectuals

If I say 'thats icky' then I'm cute and nonthreatening and can be allowed into polite society

Its tone policing by people who think the worst thing in the world is for someone to be rude, and just another variation on the 'concentration camp' vs 'decompression center' debate.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Most of these dorks are old enough to remember am talk radio mattering and on there the host would emphasize the rat part

I'm approaching being an old and I had never heard about 'democrat party' being a thing in any context. I didn't listen to right wing radio though, so maybe the shitheads wringing their hands over it are telling on themselves and their misspent youth as Limbaugh fans. I pretty much use it exclusively because it makes the worst kind of person very upset and its very funny that they want political affiliation to be a protected identity.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

remember back when the D+D lib brigade said biden was going to close the camps, and now they're whining about how dare people still call them concentration camps

loving lol

Well ya, the only problem now is optics. They've explicitly said so.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Big day for content
https://twitter.com/lynnv378/status/1374441664178130949?s=20
https://twitter.com/lacadri34/status/1374471516889346066?s=20
https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1374479244613459978?s=20

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Also the orthodoxy about Yemen is that Biden is "deadset against" the war there despite locking down Hodeida to an extent even Trump didn't and leaving it with such a fuel shortage all of the food aid is literally rotting in the sun on the side of the road or in the boats.

Those people literally don't believe in anything.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

it's a dumb petty snipe that doesn't accomplish anything but demonstrating disgust, and in a world where people were actually out to discuss things it would be an unproductive addition to the conversation

in an environment where "now that the president who promised to build a wall to keep the subhumans out has a D by his name, the camps are good" is official doctrine, it is difficult to argue it is appreciably lowering the quality of the discourse

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1214774769175977984?s=20
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1374446169233915908?s=20
https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1374477965791096836?s=20

Would be extremely funny if this was just to spike any hypothetical return to the Iran deal

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It's also really dumb if she doesn't have names of people she wants, because right now her demand is as easily fulfilled by Dinesh D'souza or Tulsi Gabbard as anyone she actually wants there

To be honest I think she probably just got loving blindsided by "Kamala lol" and raged out without much of a plan, which, frankly, is the right response to these loving assholes.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

Would be extremely funny if this was just to spike any hypothetical return to the Iran deal

Oh unless it's straight up a head fake to gently caress with international diplomacy in which case l o l

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

Oh unless it's straight up a head fake to gently caress with international diplomacy in which case l o l

i think it's probably Duckworth getting pissed off at the Biden admin for being condescending, but the timing is suspicious.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Can't wait to get some Hindutva psycho or whatever she's gunning for.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

To be honest I think she probably just got loving blindsided by "Kamala lol" and raged out without much of a plan, which, frankly, is the right response to these loving assholes.

Fair enough, that’s a good point

A New Dad
Nov 10, 2012

I SHOULD FUCK OFF BACK TO C-SPAM
i agree we need more aapi psycho failchildren running our govt

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
The wife keeps watching NBC national news despite me telling her that poo poo will rot her brain. Usually it's succ city, but it just ended its segment on the shooting with "Biden had promised to introduce new gun legislation on day 1 and has yet to do so." Hopefully "Biden promised to do X on day one and had yet to do so" becomes the end stinger for the first segment everyday.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the KHive is mobilizing
https://twitter.com/RealKHiveQueenB/status/1374481136039075846?s=20

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The wife keeps watching NBC national news despite me telling her that poo poo will rot her brain. Usually it's succ city, but it just ended its segment on the shooting with "Biden had promised to introduce new gun legislation on day 1 and has yet to do so." Hopefully "Biden promised to do X on day one and had yet to do so" becomes the end stinger for the first segment everyday.

This is what happens without a clear scapegoat.
They eat their own.

Now to sanction China.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vim Fuego posted:

Fluffdaddy and Main Paineframe are squabbling in QCS about whether banning the phrase "Concentration Camp" in D&D is dumb

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963024#post513439355

I gotta say, the first page of this thread owns pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Lol 4ever @ the khive