Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

sticklefifer posted:

What was the origin of "Bork Laser"? I want to say it was something to avoid a copyright takedown, but I don't know the specifics.
It was Brock's Fire Pro name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Krispen Wah

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

davidbix posted:

It was Brock's Fire Pro name.

No, that was Strong Monster, or Monster Gaea for America.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Brockle Snar

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Cavauro posted:

it came from people putting up wrestling videos on youtube with code names. i think wrestling in general was called "cheese souffle" or maybe that was code for WWE or something. i'm sorry i don't know.
On that note, why was "cheese soufflé" chosen as the code phrase for wrestling videos uploaded illegally to YouTube?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Nick Jr. Face posted:

On that note, why was "cheese soufflé" chosen as the code phrase for wrestling videos uploaded illegally to YouTube?

this is like pizzagate for wrestling

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Pronunciation of Suplex -> Su-play -> Soufflé

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that on these forums years ago

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What is the perfect wrestling match?

It doesn't necessarily be the best match ever, but what are some matches that are perfectly booked, taking into account the wrestlers ability, the time, the location, the booking etc?

I'm watching Cena vs Umaga Last Man Standing and my god does it own.

Both are hard to watch now but people here have recommended Rey vs. Eddie at Halloween Havoc and Benoit vs. Angle at the Royal Rumble and both feel like the Platonic ideal of wrestling matches.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Is the Lore of the Fiend a real thing from WWE tv or is it just a Twitter thing?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Is the Lore of the Fiend a real thing from WWE tv or is it just a Twitter thing?

Twitter thing

https://twitter.com/mearn/status/1349171717470609411?s=20

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1349172183403094019?s=20

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Someone several pages back asked about the origin of "He's just having fun!" as a WWE thing. While there were "just having fun out there" gimmicks stretching back decades, I was reminded of where the actual commentary call originated while watching a Youtube video on fan reactions. It came from JBL (or Vince speaking through him) trying to mitigate the damage of crowd booing something they were supposed to like, so anytime it happened JBL would say "That's the great thing about WWE fans, they do what they want! They're just havin' fun!" rather than the take being "This is poo poo and they hate it."

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The lore of the fiend tweet gets me every time.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Tweets you can hear.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

sticklefifer posted:

Someone several pages back asked about the origin of "He's just having fun!" as a WWE thing. While there were "just having fun out there" gimmicks stretching back decades, I was reminded of where the actual commentary call originated while watching a Youtube video on fan reactions. It came from JBL (or Vince speaking through him) trying to mitigate the damage of crowd booing something they were supposed to like, so anytime it happened JBL would say "That's the great thing about WWE fans, they do what they want! They're just havin' fun!" rather than the take being "This is poo poo and they hate it."

It morphed with a bunch of babyfaces whose entire commentary identity was "they just love to have fun!" Whether they won or lost didn't matter they just cared about having fun. Off the top of my head you have The New Day, Adam Rose, Lucha House Party. Part of the reason its so effective as an attack is it seems to evoke comparisons to Uncle Tom's or minstrel acts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sticklefifer posted:

It could also be a carryover from the NFL. Commentators like John Madden would often say of Brett Favre, "He's just havin' fun out there," or things of that nature, to the point that "funslinging" became a meme before memes were A Thing.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s what the commentators say about a new babyface who doesn’t have a character, but is just some smiling dude. It’s become more prevalent because WWE cannot write babyfaces and so they all default to the fun-loving smiling happy dude.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's fun to think about how modern WWE would book stars of the past. Austin for sure would have been called Chilly McFreeze and wheel out a snow cone machine or some poo poo to his matches in NXT.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

It's fun to think about how modern WWE would book stars of the past. Austin for sure would have been called Chilly McFreeze and wheel out a snow cone machine or some poo poo to his matches in NXT.

No, no, the snow cone machine would be a main roster thing, on NXT he'd be giving Bobby Fish concrete shoes as part of the build to a match with Roddy that goes third from the top and ends in a count out

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Just imagine stone cold, exactly as amazing as he was, except feuding with Shane and Stephanie instead of Vince. It would be nearly unwatchable. I honestly don't think he would be able to salvage it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

e: how'd this get here

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

e: what the

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Stealth Tiger posted:

Just imagine stone cold, exactly as amazing as he was, except feuding with Shane and Stephanie instead of Vince. It would be nearly unwatchable. I honestly don't think he would be able to salvage it.

Dean Ambrose with a hot dog cart.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

I mean, the actual WWF at the time only let him use "Stone Cold" after literally trying to call him "The Ring Master" and watching that fail miserably so yeah.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Stealth Tiger posted:

Stephanie would be getting slap spots in on him with no consequences for sure.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Rocky Maivia was a "loves to have fun" gimmick.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'm very excited for Lulu Pencil's 100th match but Cage Match lists two different numbers for her:
1. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=21469&page=4 has 92 items listed
2. https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=21469&page=22 has 91 matches in the match statistics

Which one is accurate?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How different would WWE be if Mr Kennedy doesn't have a mix of bad choices and bad luck

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Probably continues his trajectory of overpushed midcarder sometimes sniffing the main event. I do wonder what the plan was for his Money in the Bank run before he hurt himself.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How different would WWE be if Mr Kennedy doesn't have a mix of bad choices and bad luck

We have two Mizes.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Seams posted:

?

edit: just reread your post and it doesnt match the description. oh well, pic is still funny.

It is, and also I think I found it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Arbite posted:

Well, they got half the picture right

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"I must go, my planet needs me. WOOOO!"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

theres that one image where shawn michaels is somehow completely vertical and upside down

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Arbite posted:

EVERYBODY DANCE NOW

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

JOHN CENA posted:

theres that one image where shawn michaels is somehow completely vertical and upside down

That’s what I immediately thought of, it looks like he’s balancing himself on the top of his head with no other support.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kosmo Gallion posted:

It doesn't necessarily be the best match ever, but what are some matches that are perfectly booked, taking into account the wrestlers ability, the time, the location, the booking etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSrH4TuKq1I

The creative ways both wrestlers find not to lose (breaking the bulb loses you the match) while being funny as all hell.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Spuckuk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSrH4TuKq1I

The creative ways both wrestlers find not to lose (breaking the bulb loses you the match) while being funny as all hell.

In terms of laying out a concept and using the skill of the participants to sell it, absolutely yes. This built in the best way and ended perfectly.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Lamuella posted:

EVERYBODY DANCE NOW

I appreciate the effort you put into this

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Tetsuya Naito vs Taichi from TakaTaichiMania. It played to Taichi, Naito, Miho and even Kyohei Wada's strengths perfectly and played to the hyper partisan crowd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They should bring him back, pair him with Eli Drake and change his name to NY Knight