Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

When you say "can't go beyond zone 9" do you mean because of getting service operators to agree and stuff or literally because Oyster systems cannot handle double digit zone numbers?

The latter - Thameslink were quite enthusiastic about moving to TfL zone-based fares (no altruism here, it was a way of massively increasing capped single-journey fares) but because of the limit (actually it's 15, but TfL have reserved a couple for the edges of Crossrail) they couldn't cover the whole area they wanted to and now have "special fares" which is apparently a weird hack of the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I forgot to ask this last time the pic was posted, but what *is* that? Omron to me are makers of medical equipment flogged at an outrageous premium in Boots, but that looks like some sort of mains switch - have they moved into electric chair manufacture?

The thing on the left looks a bit like a circuit breaker but I dunno what the bit on the right is.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Reveilled posted:

One of the other problems is that it looks like when Reddit did give an explanation, it doesn't seem to match up with events. Reddit claims that their anti-doxxing autofilter banned the moderator, but according to that mod and others, the offending comment was edited some time after it was originally posted to remove the text and replaced with a message that had a typo in it, and then edited afterward to remove the typo, which strongly implies that the action by the admins was manual, not automatic. It doesn't help that a few years ago there was a big controversy about the site's owner manually editing other people's posts because they said bad things about him, so it's hardly a break of form.

Another reason this is causing a shitstorm is that, reddit being a cesspool, it's not uncommon for its moderators to get doxxed and harrassed, and a lot of mods are now mad that reddit previously has been of zero help to them when they were on the receiving end.

The official statement doesn't outright say that it was an auto filter ban does it? I seem to recall it's worded quite poorly and can be interpreted that way but it can also be read that Reddit [admins] banned the mod, possibly even Aimee herself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I forgot to ask this last time the pic was posted, but what *is* that? Omron to me are makers of medical equipment flogged at an outrageous premium in Boots, but that looks like some sort of mains switch - have they moved into electric chair manufacture?
It's a relay and a DIN rail socket that the relay goes in so you can change them out easily when they burn out because you bought them off legitimate_flag_electrical2015.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Omron make all kinds of electrical stuff. Pretty sure the electrical cabinet of our (industrial woodworking) CNC machine was full of Omron switches and relays and stuff.

Looks like one of those was a relay:

https://www.tme.com/ca/en/details/ly2-n-24dc/industrial-electromagnetic-relays/omron/ly2n-24vdc/

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The official statement from Reddit says it was a ban for "posting personal information", the ukpol mods say they dispute that that's what it was and also they had no idea she'd even been hired as an admin.

Here's my position: Her dad is bad, her hiring him was bad and she knew it very well otherwise why would she have given him a fake name, her fiancé is bad, her covering for him was bad, the Lib Dems hiring her and getting burned when it would have been easy to look up why the Greens kicked her out is lmao, Reddit hiring her is very lmao and bad, her trying to crush any mention of her name is bad, and finally, it's possible to dislike both transphobes and this specific trans woman just the same as it's possible to hate both racists and Priti Patel. Glinner et al aren't on either "side" of this, they're their own demented little cult jumping up and down and going "look I told you they're all pedos". If Reddit wanted to hand those assholes a tailor made news article to spam every time people take a stand for trans rights, good job them.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/mc5f4z/what_are_some_great_examples_of_the_streisand/

Best ending for the reddit saga lol. Someone "innocently" created a thread asking for examples of the Streisand effect, check the first...all? responses.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lungboy posted:

The official statement doesn't outright say that it was an auto filter ban does it? I seem to recall it's worded quite poorly and can be interpreted that way but it can also be read that Reddit [admins] banned the mod, possibly even Aimee herself.
https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/677190-reddit-private-community-aimee-challenor-censorship

quote:

The Spectator reached out to Reddit after learning its article ‘The Green party’s woman problem‘ was removed from the platform, with the outlet receiving an official statement explaining how a Reddit employee was the “target of harassment and doxxing (sharing of personal or confidential information).” The statement noted that Reddit had “activated standard processes to protect the employee from such harassment, including initiating an automated moderation rule to prevent personal information from being shared.”

Another article that kind of glosses over the fact that the Spectator article was transphobic as gently caress, was written by the ur-TERF herself, and would probably come under the harassment rather than doxxing part.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dabir posted:

The official statement from Reddit says it was a ban for "posting personal information", the ukpol mods say they dispute that that's what it was and also they had no idea she'd even been hired as an admin.

Here's my position: Her dad is bad, her hiring him was bad and she knew it very well otherwise why would she have given him a fake name, her fiancé is bad, her covering for him was bad, the Lib Dems hiring her and getting burned when it would have been easy to look up why the Greens kicked her out is lmao, Reddit hiring her is very lmao and bad, her trying to crush any mention of her name is bad, and finally, it's possible to dislike both transphobes and this specific trans woman just the same as it's possible to hate both racists and Priti Patel. Glinner et al aren't on either "side" of this, they're their own demented little cult jumping up and down and going "look I told you they're all pedos". If Reddit wanted to hand those assholes a tailor made news article to spam every time people take a stand for trans rights, good job them.

Yeah but this wouldn't be nearly as big a thing if she was cis even before the big transphobes got involved, so much of this is automatically assuming the worst of a trans woman a thing even this thread has been guilty of on more than one occasion

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

gamerevolution.com

gently caress me that's a blast from the past.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lungboy posted:

Here's the relevant bit of their statement:

quote:

Earlier this month, a Reddit employee was the target of harassment and doxxing (sharing of personal or confidential information). Reddit activated standard processes to protect the employee from such harassment, including initiating an automated moderation rule to prevent personal information from being shared. The moderation rule was too broad, and this week it incorrectly suspended a moderator who posted content that included personal information.

What strikes me as *possible* is that the automod flagged the post and banned the mod, and then an admin in question reviewed that flag and edited the post, because that's consistent with what we've seen and would make the statement technically true. But, I'd say from that statement that Reddit wants you to think that it was done entirely by robots, and that it was a simple mistake rather than something more targeted or deliberate.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Aimee Challenor is a total piece of poo poo no two ways about it. It's understandable given her upbringing and ODD but maybe don't put her in charge of a public website given her close association with multiple pedo's. I don't know why they thought it was a good idea.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Priti Patel must be insanely confused about this

https://twitter.com/bbcsoutheast/status/1374668327214272512?s=20

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I already said this is the real solution to the problems of the regions, just make the plane out of the black box everything London. Extend the Travelcard to zone 256, rename Cornwall West Uxbridge, teach Glaswegians to do the Lambeth Walk, you'll all have amazing public transport, terrifying pub prices, and surprisingly reasonable council tax in no time.

Everyone is now so poor that you can't even use the 'you need London' poo poo anymore. So you and London can gently caress off forever.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Surely being forced to remain is sentence enough

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Again, I can see an argument for AC being the victim of circumstance and abuse, and having banned the post for its unswerving, rampant transphobic poke at her specifically.

But the follow up by reddit of lying then and failing to offer any justification or adequate communication has blown the whole situation into the kind of mess that transphobes, misogynists and free speech nutcases can leap all over.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dabir posted:

it's possible to dislike both transphobes and this specific trans woman just the same as it's possible to hate both racists and Priti Patel.

Priti Patel is a racist, though, so it isn't just the same.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
who gives a poo poo about Reddit drama

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

Everyone is now so poor that you can't even use the 'you need London' poo poo anymore. So you and London can gently caress off forever.

Well this is an entirely reasonable response to an extremely mild joke.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Julio Cruz posted:

It's probably going to be the new terf talking point, so I'm at least glad I don't have to do my own research.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

It's a relay and a DIN rail socket that the relay goes in so you can change them out easily when they burn out because you bought them off legitimate_flag_electrical2015.

relays are nice, for a clown to use!

this post brought to you by triac gang

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesla was right posted:

It's probably going to be the new terf talking point, so I'm at least glad I don't have to do my own research.

luckily I don't give a poo poo about terf talking points either

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well this is an entirely reasonable response to an extremely mild joke.

And people say this thread is unpleasantly aggy

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jakabite posted:

Who the gently caress says that, CAR PARK, NOW!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

You want unpleasantly aggy, head over to the D&D 5e thread and say you like a specific aspect of the game. Hoo boy do they have opinions.

E: Do not post there. Look only upon its works and despair.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

they'll never top having Ghislaine Maxwell as one of the most prominent users.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I hope its a family who had 2 weeks booked in Benidorm and were so desperate to get away.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Get hosed Europe, these are our immigrants!

Also regarding the flag, maybe now it's brexit it's time for a new one that reflects modern Britain, draw a line under all that awkward empire stuff.

Maybe Scotland will make this a necessity in a couple of years. We should emphasise the dragon if so although a few years too late to really maximise the GOT tie in.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also regarding the flag, maybe now it's brexit it's time for a new one that reflects modern Britain, draw a line under all that awkward empire stuff.
You're right, a flag that is just the word EMPIRE on a red background is the most British thing we could get.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
the only two flags I need

e.(well not quite there are a couple more which apply but those are the main two)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Waiting for the law that makes it mandatory to have portraits of the Queen and PM in every room.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Reveilled posted:

Here's the relevant bit of their statement:

What strikes me as *possible* is that the automod flagged the post and banned the mod, and then an admin in question reviewed that flag and edited the post, because that's consistent with what we've seen and would make the statement technically true. But, I'd say from that statement that Reddit wants you to think that it was done entirely by robots, and that it was a simple mistake rather than something more targeted or deliberate.

Fair enough, I hadn't seen that one and was referencing the one put out yesterday which said:

"It later became apparent that Reddit has hired this individual as an Reddit admin, and were banning people from discussing her past to protect their employee from harassment."

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Easter Fudge On Sale!

The world's a mess and the country is going to poo poo, so why not treat yourself to a delicious Easter/non denominational egg-based spring festival treat? It may not fix anything, but it'll make you feel better!

Here at Fudjit towers we've been slaving away to produce a veritable mountain of stock to satisfy your sweet tooth. Our flavours for Easter are as follows.

Original Vanilla
Dark Chocolate
Cherry Bakewell
Pretzelicious
Vegan Cookie

Easter Specials!

Most Eggscellent
- Dark Chocolate fudge surrounding mini-eggs for a choccy double-whammy
Eggstremely Naughty - Our stickiest, most calorific creation yet! A creme egg nestled in a nest of chocolate fudge. Have insulin on standby!
Vanilla and Chocolate Fudge Eggs Our delicious fudges, now in a seasonal form factor! Strictly limited edition on these!

All fudge is sold in nominal 100g bags (mostly closer to 130g) except for the Eggstremely Naughty, which comes in at 80g.

All stock is now live and available to purchase at https://www.fudjit.co.uk - hurry and order now to ensure arrival before the Easter holiday and to avoid disappointment!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Camrath posted:

Easter Fudge On Sale!

The world's a mess and the country is going to poo poo, so why not treat yourself to a delicious Easter/non denominational egg-based spring festival treat? It may not fix anything, but it'll make you feel better!

Here at Fudjit towers we've been slaving away to produce a veritable mountain of stock to satisfy your sweet tooth. Our flavours for Easter are as follows.

Original Vanilla
Dark Chocolate
Cherry Bakewell
Pretzelicious
Vegan Cookie

Easter Specials!

Most Eggscellent
Eggstremely Naughty - Our stickiest, most calorific creation yet! A creme egg nestled in a nest of chocolate fudge. Have insulin on standby!
Vanilla and Chocolate Fudge Eggs Our delicious fudges, now in a seasonal form factor! Strictly limited edition on these!

All fudge is sold in nominal 100g bags (mostly closer to 130g) except for the Eggstremely Naughty, which comes in at 80g.

All stock is now live and available to purchase at https://www.fudjit.co.uk - hurry and order now to ensure arrival before the Easter holiday and to avoid disappointment!

ahh poo poo and I don't get paid until next week...

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Waiting for the law that makes it mandatory to have portraits of the Queen and PM in every room.

You don't need a law for that sort of thing you just flaunt your own and limit the social and career opportunities for those who don't.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Camrath posted:

Easter Fudge On Sale!

Original Vanilla
Dark Chocolate
Cherry Bakewell
Pretzelicious
Vegan Cookie

Easter Specials!

Most Eggscellent

If I was to hypothetically spend all my money on these as a gift, would I be safe to keep it hidden at room temperature until Easter weekend? I don't know much about fudge storage.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I find the hate for London in general by leftists very strange - London has been the consistent bastion of the left for like a century and was the one place outside of the North West that stayed solid for Corbyn. London has way more socialist and radical credentials than say, Yorkshire, which rubs me the wrong way how some people from the North talk about the capital.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

stev posted:

If I was to hypothetically spend all my money on these as a gift, would I be safe to keep it hidden at room temperature until Easter weekend? I don't know much about fudge storage.

It'll be fine at reasonable room temperatures until the end of April, but the texture will be even nicer if kept in the fridge. The vanilla in particular is soft and benefits from being kept cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

I find the hate for London in general by leftists very strange - London has been the consistent bastion of the left for like a century and was the one place outside of the North West that stayed solid for Corbyn. London has way more socialist and radical credentials than say, Yorkshire, which rubs me the wrong way how some people from the North talk about the capital.

Can confirm yorkshire is full of horrible people.