Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
"Kick Corona out of football. Sponsored by Corona Lite"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CyberPingu posted:

"Kick Corona out of football. Sponsored by Corona Lite"

It would at least be fun if they did this

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/mar/26/despite-coronavirus-its-business-as-usual-for-world-cup-workers-in-qatar

The Guardian posted:

Despite coronavirus, it's 'business as usual' for World Cup workers in Qatar

quote:

Migrant labourers building stadiums and infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar are still being sent to work on crowded construction sites, despite a government order outlawing “all forms of gatherings” because of the coronavirus pandemic.

quote:

Such a condition would be nearly impossible to meet in Qatar, where workers live in crowded labour camps, sharing dormitories, often with eight to 10 others, and are transported to work in company buses crammed with up to 60 people.

quote:

“I worry a lot about getting the virus, but I need the money,” said one Kenyan construction worker, not employed on a World Cup project, who works 14-hour shifts. He said he wears gloves and a mask at work but it is not enough. “Only God is enough,” he added.

A Nepalese labourer building a car park said his blood pressure is checked before each shift. “I use a face mask, which I bought myself. Those who don’t have a mask cover their mouth with a piece of cloth,” he said.

Last week, the Qatari authorities announced a “ban on all forms of gatherings … including but not limited to the Corniche, public parks, beaches and social gatherings”, but despite an almost total shutdown of gyms, cinemas, shopping malls and banks, the ruling appears not to apply to construction workers and others in the private sector.

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

Would the USA have enough big stadiums to host such an event?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dude, don't post poo poo like this.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Persiflagist posted:

Dude, don't post poo poo like this.

Dude, don't quote poo poo from 3½ years ago.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jeebus bob posted:

Dude, don't quote poo poo from 3½ years ago.

This is the 2nd time I’ve seen this, it’s real weird

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Also I've never seen that guy post itf before today where he's posted in 3 separate threads and every post references Tom

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
That’s some weird posting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The post got a ban as well lol

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also I've never seen that guy post itf before today where he's posted in 3 separate threads and every post references Tom

I like this brash newcomer. Tom's posting days are numbered imo

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tom has like 4 accounts though. So it could just be him on another alt.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Glad to finally see someone standing up to Tom's posting reign of terror 3 years ago

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I am Tom.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1247269372340682765?s=20
the Justice Department just dropped indictment/court docs related to Jack Warner and there are no surprises in there

e: reading through and you can easily find out who some of the unnamed people are. "Co-Conspirator 2" is Mohd bin Hammam, former AFC chair and Qatari bid wrangler who has been banned for life from FIFA. plus you get to learn how the Copa Libertadores basically was a money-laundering scheme for much of the 2000s.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 6, 2020

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1247269372340682765?s=20
the Justice Department just dropped indictment/court docs related to Jack Warner and there are no surprises in there

HOLY poo poo NO WAY who would have thought

(I’m still glad it’s being released though)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Also in the indictment doc

The Athletic posted:

In October 2011, the U.S. soccer world woke to the shocking news that World Cup TV rights would move from ESPN to Fox. It wasn’t just that ESPN, which had televised the World Cup since 1994 and had helped popularize the then-exotic import, lost but that the sport would go to the brash Fox Sports.

According to indictments handed down by the Department of Justice today in the long-running Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) corruption case, Fox’s employees illicitly obtained inside information through bribes to secure those rights. The indictment against Hernan Lopez and Carlos Martinez, formerly of 21st Century Fox, Inc. (“Fox”), does not say what the information was. Fox is not named as a defendant. (Full disclosure: Lopez is the founder and CEO of Wondery, which is the producing partner of The Athletic‘s daily podcast called “The Lead.”)

“Lopez and Martinez also relied on loyalty secured through the payment of bribes to certain CONMEBOL (the confederation governing soccer in South America) officials to advance the business interests of Fox, including to obtain confidential bidding information for the rights to broadcast the 2018 and 2022 World Cup tournaments in the United States, rights that Fox successfully obtained,” said a press release announcing the indictments from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of New York.

Fox outbid ESPN in 2011, agreeing to pay between $400 million and $500 million for the two World Cups (NBCUniversal’s Telemundo paid $600 million for the U.S. Spanish TV rights). Fox’s fee was a significant increase from the $100 million ESPN paid for the preceding Cups in 2010 and 2014. Fox also bought the rights to all FIFA events from 2015 to 2022, including the men’s World Cup in ’18 and ’22 and the women’s World Cup in ’15 and ’19.

In 2015, in another shock, FIFA — without taking bids — awarded the 2026 World Cup to Fox. Most of 21st Century Fox is now owned by Disney, but the soccer rights are controlled by Fox Corp., which kept its news and sports assets. A Fox Sports spokesman did not immediately respond for comment.

Bob Ley, who joyously hosted ESPN’s World Cup broadcasts, described losing the rights as a “gut punch.” While not privy to what the feds know, Ley said “the allegations aren’t shocking because of” FIFA’s history of corruption. The talk around ESPN after the loss was Fox had outbid ESPN by $100 million, Ley said, an amount high enough to ensure a winning bid.

The allegation comes in the latest indictment, which started in 2015 with the high-profile arrests in Switzerland of top soccer officials, from the Department of Justice to roil the international soccer world.

“The profiteering and bribery in international soccer have been deep-seated and commonly known practices for decades,” said FBI Assistant Director in Charge William Sweeney in the press release. “These men, along with the general public, have known the FBI New York and our many law enforcement partners are investigating the illicit handshakes and backroom deals hidden in the infrastructure of soccer events, venues and marketing contracts. The first public charges date back to 2015. This should illustrate to everyone still hoping to score millions corruptly, we’re going to find you.”

For the first time, the U.S. alleges bribes were paid to FIFA members for their World Cup votes.

“Several executive committee members were offered or received bribes in connection with their votes,” the indictment reads. “For example, the defendant Ricardo Teixeira, Nicolas Leoz and Co-Conspirator # 1 were offered and received bribe payments in exchange for their votes in favor of Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup,” the DOJ alleged. “In addition, the defendant Jack Warner was promised and received bribe payments totaling $5 million and Rafael Salguero was promised a $1 million bribe in exchange for their votes in favor of Russia to host the 2018 World Cup.”

This is the third round of DOJ indictments in the soccer corruption cases. Lopez and Martinez, the former Fox executives, are scheduled to be arraigned on Thursday before United States District Judge Pamela K. Chen in Brooklyn federal court.

I am very shocked by this development and could have not seen it coming

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Oh wow, they're finally gonna take FIFA down!

Or, you know, have a couple small fish go to prison and sweep this under the rug, again.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Simone Poodoin posted:

Oh wow, they're finally gonna take FIFA down!

Or, you know, have a couple small fish go to prison and sweep this under the rug, again.

Considering all the people I see named in the indictment segments itt are no longer FIFA members, they'll congratulate themselves on already rooting out the bad apples and carry on as if nothing happened.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The only conceivably interesting thing here is whether or not ESPN would have any legal recourse against FOX Sports in the US since FOX won World Cup rights over ESPN thanks to bribes, but thanks to the USA's wonderful non-enforcement of antitrust laws they've since become owned by the same company.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

The only conceivably interesting thing here is whether or not ESPN would have any legal recourse against FOX Sports in the US since FOX won World Cup rights over ESPN thanks to bribes, but thanks to the USA's wonderful non-enforcement of antitrust laws they've since become owned by the same company.

Disney doesn’t own Fox Sports; it was one of the Fox TV properties that Murdoch kept in the acquisition (along with Fox News, Fox Business, etc.).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Weedle posted:

Disney doesn’t own Fox Sports; it was one of the Fox TV properties that Murdoch kept in the acquisition (along with Fox News, Fox Business, etc.).
Really? I thought Disney still owned Fox Sports somehow, or at least their broadcast rights in some fashion.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Really? I thought Disney still owned Fox Sports somehow, or at least their broadcast rights in some fashion.

They briefly got some international FS brands but sold them off to Sinclair immediately at the behest of the DoJ.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's why it's called 20th Century Studios now - Disney doesn't want to confuse people that they don't own Fox Corporation.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember, laws are pretty malleable in the US at the moment. Fox Sports is still a Murdoch company and he's best buddies with Trump, and therefore, with AG Barr as well.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Reviving this thread because I can’t think of where else to put it.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/football/article/3113955/chinese-super-league-tightens-salary-and-spending-rules-warning

The Chinese Super League is being told by the government to cap salaries further than they already are, capping foreign players at 3 million Euros a year. The loophole being that image rights and third party sponsorships are not capped but subject to approval by the government. I expect a lot of official Malaysian potato snack partner of Graziano Pellè to make up the difference.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gigi Galli posted:

https://www.scmp.com/sport/football/article/3113955/chinese-super-league-tightens-salary-and-spending-rules-warning

The Chinese Super League is being told by the government to cap salaries further than they already are, capping foreign players at 3 million Euros a year. The loophole being that image rights and third party sponsorships are not capped but subject to approval by the government. I expect a lot of official Malaysian potato snack partner of Graziano Pellè to make up the difference.

just imagine how much axle grease you could sell with Pelle's image rights

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Are they trying to focus on improving their domestic players? For how big China is their national team is terrible.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Are they trying to focus on improving their domestic players? For how big China is their national team is terrible.

i remember reading an article about their troubles ages ago and it boils down to how insane the real estate market is (still i think) which comes down to limiting the number of pitches in cities etc. so even if all the kids wanted to play and grow up to be footballers they won't physically have enough pitch space for them to play on

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Butterfly Valley posted:

Wtf lol

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

poo poo's slowly dragging on for ol Sepp and FIFA in Switzerland: https://apnews.com/article/international-soccer-zurich-sports-europe-sepp-blatter-soccer-f682a9d6f83823d3dcb6bdc272970888

The latest is FIFA suing him for the hosed up deal he arranged with an insurance company to renovate their property for the football museum in Zurich and also pay them above market rent until 2045. Renovtion and rent add up to about $500m, plus the thing operates at a ridiculous loss and there was a $50m write off in 2016.

The new lawsuit is being handled in Zurich's courts, he's still involved in two in the federal courts for payments to Platini and Warner. The Swiss federal prosecutor had to resign after "forgetting" what he talked about in unreported meetings with Infantino, so none of this will ever end.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
At least 6,500 migrant workers have died in Qatar building poo poo for the World Cup

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

So when I still used Reddit. When I mentioned something like this before, someone unironically commented "But those workers all came from more dangerous backgrounds with jobs with higher mortality rates. So it's actually saved lives.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

So when I still used Reddit. When I mentioned something like this before, someone unironically commented "But those workers all came from more dangerous backgrounds with jobs with higher mortality rates. So it's actually saved lives.

and hell, if you can't trust reddit who can you trust

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/24/sepp-blatter-gets-new-six-year-ban-from-football-after-fifa-investigation

quote:

The former Fifa president Sepp Blatter has been given a new ban of six years and eight months from football, the game’s global governing body has announced.

The ban has been imposed for multiple breaches of Fifa’s ethics code and comes into force when a current suspension ends in October, Fifa said. The same length of suspension has been imposed on the organisation’s former secretary general Jérôme Valcke. Both men have been fined 1m Swiss francs (almost £780,000), Fifa said.

Valcke was found to have accepted undue benefits worth CHF30m – 9m in relation to the 2010 World Cup, 10m in relation to the 2013 Confederations Cup and 2014 World Cup in Brazil, and 11m in relation to the 2017 Confederations Cup and 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Blatter, whose behaviour the ethics committee described as “completely reprehensible”, and Valcke have been banned from involvement in the game since 2015. They have 21 days to lodge an appeal against the sanctions and decision with the court of arbitration for sport.

I’m sure this has taken care of the endemic corruption at FIFA.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Lol the tournament in Qatar is still happening. Blatter's only regret is that he won't get to partake in the biblical amounts of graft set to occur.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
At least Sepp still isn't allowed to post in The Wagatha Christie

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Lol the tournament in Qatar is still happening. Blatter's only regret is that he won't get to partake in the biblical amounts of graft set to occur.
Don't forget: Sepp actually wanted 18 and 22 to alternate between Russia and the USA for ~~~international harmony~~~ and he tried to rig both votes, but Qatar was so shameless about bribing the voters and the voters themselves were so corrupt that Qatar won anyway.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

So their own investigations found that these two took CHF23-30 million and they fined them one million. That'll teach 'em!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Meanwhile UEFA is responding to Covid by getting rid of FFP: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/25/football-financial-fair-play-rules-to-be-ripped-up-after-covid-crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Good it was useless anyway and now at least the big boys can really get stung on those comedy deals. Bring on the bloated mega contracts