Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Trapick posted:

I'm looking for a water bottle that I can freeze; not that has a freezable insert, but one I can fill halfway with water, toss in the freezer, and pull out later so I have a big block of ice in the bottom. Old school nalgenes used to work for this - I tried a new one and the bottom burst. Some bottled water works ok, but most bulge annoyingly on the bottom and only last 2 or 3 freeze cycles.

Alternatively is there a brand of bottled water that's specifically designed to be freezable? Only filled 80% or whatever, appropriate material and thickness, etc.

I have a Polar Bottle and their FAQ says:

quote:

The Polar Bottle Water Bottles are freezer safe so long as the bottle is not more than 3/4 full. Freezing a full bottle could cause the bottle to split. Filling a bottle halfway, freezing it overnight and topping it off in the morning before a long day is a great way to keep your water cold all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

I. M. Gei posted:

I really hope that by “DWR” you don’t mean Design Within Reach, which is the polar loving opposite of what I want/need and goes against everything I believe in. I know you’re a minimalism shill but I loving HATE that poo poo.

just lol if you think that’s “minimalism”

the look you’re after is something like “prairie style ornamentation”

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Mar 19, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any recommendations for a car jumper? My wife's car is a plugin that is incapable.of jump starting another car. And my car battery is dead due to quarantining. Not looking for much functionality besides jumping my car at home. Should I just get the cheapest thing on Amazon?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

bamhand posted:

Any recommendations for a car jumper? My wife's car is a plugin that is incapable.of jump starting another car. And my car battery is dead due to quarantining. Not looking for much functionality besides jumping my car at home. Should I just get the cheapest thing on Amazon?

I'd grab one of two things:

1. A battery trickle charger, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S which is designed for the exact scenario you've run into. Keeping a car battery from going dead when not in use for a while.

2. A battery jump starter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G74CY3K

Trickle charger will be cheaper, but I find a battery jump starter a lot more useful. But I'm not sure how long it would take for the trickle charger to put enough power into the battery so it could start again. You might need to get something stronger, which starts putting you into the same price point as battery jump starter.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I had a trickle charger when I still had a car and it was very useful. Gave it to a friend and it has saved them multiple times. Would get a trickle that also has ports for charging your phone or whatever so it can pull double duty and cost a little less. Though if its something you see yourself needing to do often for an extended period of time, waiting for the trickle could get annoying.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Does the trickle charger require plug to be within easy reach? Is it safe to have hooked up if it rains?

And would I just hook it up every few weeks for a few days to keep a charge on my battery?

bamhand has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Mar 21, 2021

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Shower head recommendations? I have one of the ones with a hose that detaches and I'd like to maintain that functionality.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

m.hache posted:

Shower head recommendations? I have one of the ones with a hose that detaches and I'd like to maintain that functionality.

I've had Moen Magnetix shower heads in all my showers for many years and they're great. The magnet is really strong, and is a lot easier/reliable than the kinds that just grip the head/hose to the mount.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

m.hache posted:

I got a hot tip for some black market Yugoslavian showerheads.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

bamhand posted:

Does the trickle charger require plug to be within easy reach? Is it safe to have hooked up if it rains?

And would I just hook it up every few weeks for a few days to keep a charge on my battery?

You would just leave it hooked up when car is not in use. But it sounds like you would be better off with a battery jump starter. I don’t think trickle chargers are designed for exposed outdoor usage. I was wrong, there are ones designed for outdoor usage.

m.hache posted:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015MMA1Q8/

I’ve tried a few different shower heads from Waterpik, Delta, and Moen and this cheapo Chinese one has been the best I’ve found so far. Long hose, high pressure, and a wide enough spread.

edit: Correcting my error on trickle chargers for outdoor usage.

.Z. has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Mar 22, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've always wondered, can you buy bulk seasonings from things like instant ramen? I rarely eat instant ramen anymore, but there's one I've always loved, nongshim kimchi ramen:

and I'd love to just get, like, a jar of the seasoning to put in rice and stuff. I know it's a simple powder but I'd just like to have a jar or bunch of pouches I could buy of the stuff if that's a thing.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I've always wondered, can you buy bulk seasonings from things like instant ramen? I rarely eat instant ramen anymore, but there's one I've always loved, nongshim kimchi ramen:

and I'd love to just get, like, a jar of the seasoning to put in rice and stuff. I know it's a simple powder but I'd just like to have a jar or bunch of pouches I could buy of the stuff if that's a thing.

Jinhan Ramyun Soup Powder 285g https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MQQEMQJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0M7C08MN3N9KJBSV7G6V

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Anyone try a rug from Ruggable? My wife and I like some of the designs and the washability aspect as we have a cat that likes to throw up, but are wondering if they feel like standing on a yoga mat.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Chip McFuck posted:

Anyone try a rug from Ruggable? My wife and I like some of the designs and the washability aspect as we have a cat that likes to throw up, but are wondering if they feel like standing on a yoga mat.

We got one, then another because we liked the first a lot. We also got it for the washability (kid + dog). It doesn't feel like a yoga pad/mat.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Thanks! We were concerned about their rugs feeling like yoga mats because the pads are advertised as being made from the same material and thats not really what we wanted from a rug. Good to know that they don't!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can any of y’all point me to a good sleep mask?

I’ve been using these ones from Walgreens because they’re cheap and reasonably comfortable, and for the most part I like them okay, but the material isn’t very breathable at all and that’s a major problem for someone like me who sweats a lot when they sleep and can’t sleep when they’re sweaty, especially now during the spring and summer months. I’m certain there’s better options out there.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

I’ve been using these ones from Walgreens because they’re cheap and reasonably comfortable, and for the most part I like them okay, but the material isn’t very breathable at all and that’s a major problem for someone like me who sweats a lot when they sleep and can’t sleep when they’re sweaty, especially now during the spring and summer months. I’m certain there’s better options out there.

My wife and I really like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3M5TTZ/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

I. M. Gei posted:

It's more expensive, but my preference is Manta. https://mantasleep.com/ Essentially, the design uses a flat strap with a hook-and-loop area to attach cups to the strap where it goes over your eyes. They sell different cups and straps, so you can mix and match for whatever purpose you want. The adjustability allows you to place the cups to fully cover your eyes, and it is the only sleep mask I have ever had that can block out all of the light with no cracks for it to get in. I haven't tried the ~silk~ or weighted options or anything like that, just the normal strap with the normal and "cool" cups, but what I have tried impressed me and I don't think I'll be bothering with another brand. I wouldn't put any stock in silly buzzword poo poo they have on there for a bunch of stuff, but it's a drat good sleep mask.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Nidra's been my go to. It's lightweight and with the contoured eye cups, it barely feels like anything is on my face. But it looks like the Walgreen's eyemask is similar?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9BC1M8

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a night light / music thing for a baby? I'm currently using this and I like it because it shines a bunch of stars on the ceiling and plays a few songs then turns off. Unfortunately, it's been possessed by a spirit recently. It will turn on randomly, only red stars will shine.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The device knows what is coming. Map the red stars. Pay attention to what it plays. Be afraid.

For the child, my sister swears that this helped distract my niece from the dark behind the void

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been using the same frying pans for ages, and the non-stick part is wearing away on one while the other fell on the floor one time and has a dent in it now, so it's time to replace them. any recommendations for good quality frying pans and also possibly woks? hopefully nothing exorbitantly expensive, but suggestions are welcome.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ask here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=177

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

DigitalRaven posted:

The device knows what is coming. Map the red stars. Pay attention to what it plays. Be afraid.

For the child, my sister swears that this helped distract my niece from the dark behind the void

This is what I have but in owl form.

I am currently looking for a good Christian exorcist and a witch doctor (figure I'd cover my bases with these inauspicious spirits).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for some great sneakers that are super comfy and don't look like some kinda hosed up marshmallow.

Around $100 would be great.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

I. M. Gei posted:

Sleep mask with soft bluetooth speakers built in for rain sounds or, judging by your taste in furniture, the sound of someone slaughtering rabbits for supper.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So there's a bird living in our dryer vent where it connects to the outside. There is an exhaust vent that looks like this:
https://thunderbirdproducts.com/products/dryer-vent-exhaust-vent
Is there some kind of wire mesh or other product we can place inside that to block off access to the bird? The idea would be to keep the current thing in place but put something inside of it. I'm not sure if there is a product that already does that or if it's more of a DIY situation. If the latter, what would be the best way to secured something in place?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Could you remove the metal exhaust hood, place a piece of chicken wire or other metal fencing over the end of the tubing, and replace the exhaust hood to keep it in place? Alternatively, do the same thing but put a pipe clamp over the wiring/pipe to lock it in place?

E. Depending on the size of the bird, “hardware cloth” may be better than chicken wire.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Apr 14, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are the hoods generally easily removable? We just discovered the issue today and haven't had a chance to get a ladder up there to take a close look yet. Not really familiar with the common materials used for vents so suggestion like the pipe clamp is good since I didn't know that was a thing that existed.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

signalnoise posted:

It's more expensive, but my preference is Manta. https://mantasleep.com/ Essentially, the design uses a flat strap with a hook-and-loop area to attach cups to the strap where it goes over your eyes. They sell different cups and straps, so you can mix and match for whatever purpose you want. The adjustability allows you to place the cups to fully cover your eyes, and it is the only sleep mask I have ever had that can block out all of the light with no cracks for it to get in. I haven't tried the ~silk~ or weighted options or anything like that, just the normal strap with the normal and "cool" cups, but what I have tried impressed me and I don't think I'll be bothering with another brand. I wouldn't put any stock in silly buzzword poo poo they have on there for a bunch of stuff, but it's a drat good sleep mask.

Ended up getting the silk version of this, partly because it sounded like it might be the most breathable. That higher price tag better be worth it! (although I can send it back for a full refund if it’s not)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

imo the ones the Wirecutter recommends have been perfectly fine for myself and the Mrs. nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-sleep-mask/ More power to you on the silk ones but these do well enough for us.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Warbird posted:

imo the ones the Wirecutter recommends have been perfectly fine for myself and the Mrs. nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-sleep-mask/ More power to you on the silk ones but these do well enough for us.

Yeah I mean, you can get a pretty good sleep mask for less. The Manta one is just like.... well, imagine being impressed by a sleep mask. It's not something I expected to be impressed by, but they managed it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Ended up getting the silk version of this, partly because it sounded like it might be the most breathable. That higher price tag better be worth it! (although I can send it back for a full refund if it’s not)

Got it over the weekend.

VERDICT: It’s not perfect and still a bit less breathable than I’d like, but it’s comfortable and deffo better than what I had before. Overall 7 or 8 out of 10 would probably buy again

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Apr 19, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thinking about getting a portable MP3 player and ditching the streaming apps, at least so I can have something to preview new additions to my DJ library while I'm on the go. Does anyone still make these? I had an iRiver back in the day that was pretty drat sweet. Ideal functionalities:
- 1/8" headphone jack (Bluetooth nice but not necessary)
- at least 64GB storage or a microSD card slot
- stores in FAT format and works as a USB mass storage device (no proprietary transfer software bullshit) so I can load it up directly from Rekordbox

Thanks!

EDIT: A part of me wants to snag an old iRiver H340 on eBay for nostslgia's sake, maybe drop an SSD into it at some point... This is unwise, isn't it?

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 12:25 on Apr 22, 2021

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I saw a nice pepper grinder over in the PYF Recent Purchases thread and now I'm curious if there are models that can handle the larger-sized juniper berries.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

I saw a nice pepper grinder over in the PYF Recent Purchases thread and now I'm curious if there are models that can handle the larger-sized juniper berries.

If what you want is a manual grinder specifically to grind one thing, and it's large enough to think a pepper mill might not get the job done, have you considered using a manual coffee grinder instead of a pepper mill? They are designed to grind things that are the size and hardness of a coffee bean, and they're generally less expensive than pepper mills, too.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I do have a dedicated blade coffee grinder for spices in general and that's a what I've been using . I just wanted something small & handheld as using my grinder is a little bit of a hassle to set up & clean when done using it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

I do have a dedicated blade coffee grinder for spices in general and that's a what I've been using . I just wanted something small & handheld as using my grinder is a little bit of a hassle to set up & clean when done using it.

Yeah, I'm talking about a manual burr grinder. Anything you use that isn't entirely metal is going to pick up smells, so if it was me, if I was grinding juniper, I would have that be my juniper grinder and nothing else because cleaning out something like a pepper mill, which you fill up and leave on your kitchen table, is going to smell like pepper and it's going to impart pepper smell and flavor onto anything else that goes into it. You could buy something like a Unicorn Magnum or whatever other fancy pepper grinder for it, but those are like 50 dollars. A manual conical burr coffee grinder can also be left on your kitchen table, and it should easily handle whatever large spice you through at it for half the price. Given that you're used to using a blade grinder, you don't have to spend big coffee grinder bucks on some 70-120 dollar bougie rear end camping grinder, because you're not looking for high quality coffee grind consistency. So my thought is basically, instead of buying an expensive pepper mill to handle a job they aren't generally suited for, I think a cheap manual coffee grinder would do the job for under 20 bucks. But of course, that's just my own thought on it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, I'm talking about a manual burr grinder. Anything you use that isn't entirely metal is going to pick up smells, so if it was me, if I was grinding juniper, I would have that be my juniper grinder and nothing else because cleaning out something like a pepper mill, which you fill up and leave on your kitchen table, is going to smell like pepper and it's going to impart pepper smell and flavor onto anything else that goes into it. You could buy something like a Unicorn Magnum or whatever other fancy pepper grinder for it, but those are like 50 dollars. A manual conical burr coffee grinder can also be left on your kitchen table, and it should easily handle whatever large spice you through at it for half the price. Given that you're used to using a blade grinder, you don't have to spend big coffee grinder bucks on some 70-120 dollar bougie rear end camping grinder, because you're not looking for high quality coffee grind consistency. So my thought is basically, instead of buying an expensive pepper mill to handle a job they aren't generally suited for, I think a cheap manual coffee grinder would do the job for under 20 bucks. But of course, that's just my own thought on it.

Puny Unicorn Magnum. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mannkitchen/mannkitchen-pepper-cannon-the-pepper-mill-for-pepper-lovers Bam Pepper Cannon. This is not a suggestion it's merely a post to point out the Pepper Cannon exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Duck and Cover posted:

Puny Unicorn Magnum. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mannkitchen/mannkitchen-pepper-cannon-the-pepper-mill-for-pepper-lovers Bam Pepper Cannon. This is not a suggestion it's merely a post to point out the Pepper Cannon exists.

$159 for a Pepper Cannon?!? :homebrew:

signalnoise posted:

Now this is a good idea. My brother-in-law has a small manual burr grinder for his morning coffee and this may be just what I want. Thanks for the suggestion!