Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

blunt posted:

the I like turtles kid

I choose to take this literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

blunt posted:

To be fair there's also a wrestling dentist, a butcher and his kinky friends, a woman who believes she's an alien, a woman who believes she's a zombie, Tarzan and his large adult dinosaur, a goofy cult, a drunk cowboy, the I like turtles kid, a wrestler who hates having to wrestle, whatever Matt Hardy is doing this week, a stable of twitch streamers and however you'd describe the lucha bros.
Important addition: an unhinged lunatic who evens the score in his handicap matches against tag teams by wielding a luchador

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7xTMibYPlg

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Eclipse12 posted:

New Raw Report tomorrow probably. Work's been busy but I start a vacation tomorrow:toot:

I want two
Or I'll suplex you

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

I want two
Or I'll suplex you

What TYPE of suplex? I need to know the stakes.

Also, I think after one more Raw Report is time for

King
Of
The
Ring

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eclipse12 posted:

King
Of
The
Ring
The 1993 King of the Ring is the very first wrestling I ever saw. I'll probably have a thing or two to say too :v:

For starters, I'm realizing that embarassingly, I must have been necessarily a bit older than I thought I'd have been when I saw it, considering the investment I would have in it during the following years.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

The 1993 King of the Ring is the very first wrestling I ever saw. I'll probably have a thing or two to say too :v:

For starters, I'm realizing that embarassingly, I must have been necessarily a bit older than I thought I'd have been when I saw it, considering the investment I would have in it during the following years.

I admit I was never a big KotR fan. They don't have time to do a proper tournament. By the mid 90s it was what... you could do two matches and win? I guess in the 1993 there were four starting matches so the winner will need at least 3 matches, which is a bit better. If you follow all the weekly shows you get a bigger picture of the tournament but that's a lot to ask the audience.

I guess early WWF tried big tourneys in PPV but it took forever and wore out the fighters.

I guess my point is I was a Royal Rumble kid. Screw the bracket, get all them sumbitches in the ring at the same time!

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Real turd of a MONDAY NIGHT RAW tonight!

Raw Report: June 07, 1993

Tonight on Top Gear

Shawn Michaels kisses a man

A guy in a tie looks confused

and a Samoan eats an ice cream

Opener shows Michaels coming in as Intercontinental Champion. I thought Jannetty won that from him??? What the poo poo is going on?

Are they gonna explain it? No? Okay. Instead he's gonna fight wrestle squash Russ Greenberg.

Oh, I guess he won a weekend match to reclaim his belt. Poor Jannetty.

Why would you clutch your throat in pain after a swinging neckbreaker? Do your research, Greenberg!

"Back on top of the world!" yells Macho Man, after watching Michaels beat a guy who probably made $150 for this fight.

Oh, and Michaels now has a bodyguard? I feel like I recognize him but sometimes I'm face-blind.

Is that Diesel/Nash? It looks like him

"This is one pay-per-view event you can't possibly miss!" Did you hear that? DID YOU HEAR THAT?! YOU CAN'T MISS IT! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE, YOU CAN'T! I'M BEGGING YOU! DON'T LET IT HAPPEN! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE OH NO PLEASE OH NO DON'T LET IT HAPPEN

You know how modern wrestling has long storylines that build towards PPVs? Grudges, shenanigans, rematches, feuds.

In 1993 it's just like, hey, Michaels is gonna fight Crush for the Intercontinental Title because, um, because they haven't fought recently?

And on that note, we interrupt this Raw Report to tell you Michaels is now yelling at McMahon because he's fighting Crush. Some manufactured drama.

Interestingly, him yelling at McMahon is kind of off-brand for WWF at this time, who downplay McMahon's ownership status and usually aim the "angry rants" stuff at rarely-seen company president Jack Tunney.

Oh, and Michaels refers to his new bodyguard (who, in close-up, is definitely Kevin Nash) as the Great Wall of China.

We haven't seen El Matador in a hot minute and we also get our second look at ADAM BOMB.

ADAM BOMB, bitches!

He had yellow eyes! So help me God, yellow eyes!

"I don't remember anyone getting up from that flyin' jalepeno" quips Heenan.  

What's the timing on accidentally screenshotting a flashbulb?

No context

Pretty impressive. ADAM BOMB launches himself from behind the ropes all the way to the center of the ring. For such a big guy that's pretty cool.

New-to-Raw Peter Weeks puts on his best spanx and jobs for Tatanka. He looks like the uncle from The Goldbergs.

Peter Weeks is not a good wrestler. He is wheezing for air and missing his spots. In the above screenshot he's reaching his arm out for a hip throw about ten feet before Tatanka reaches him. He's slow, awkward, and gots no energy.

But he can get chopped, so Tatanka does what he does best.

"That just shows me why they sold Manhattan for 24 bucks" says Heenans in his second racist reference of the night.
"You shouldn't say that, brother, you'll get yourself in big trouble," scolds Macho Man.

Jerry "The King" Lawler does his heel routine. I love Lawler but his prime was as a commentator, not a wrestler. Still, he knows how to piss of a NY crowd:

"[In New York] I found out the most common housepet is a cockroach on a leash."
"You paint your trashcans red and yellow so your kids think they're eating at McDonald's"
drat, Lawler. drat!

"Shut up with that Hogan mess!" Lawler yells at the crowd

Rodney from California comes out with Harry from Hawaii who claims Rodney eats 30 pounds of rice and 100 pounds of meat per day, and I gotta say, I'm not sure I believe that's true.

In what might be the only good match of the night [editor's note: it wasn't] , we have a mixed tag team showdown of Dumbass Billy Gun and Rick Steiner squaring off against not-yet-Rikishi and IRS.

Fun fact: Yokozuna was related to Samu and his dad, Afu.

Now Afu is eating money because anyone who's not part of the Nation of Aryan Domination is written as pants-on-head stupid in 1993 WWF.

Even the Steinerliner is having trouble getting me amped up :/

There appear to be a lot of bloodstains in the ring but nobody has been cut. Maybe shitstains?

Cut to commercial right as Money Inc and Headshrinkers start to feud with each other in the middle of the match. Where's my bingo card?

Money Inc wins but whatever. They kept pulling away from the action.

Ray-zer, Ruh-moan shows up and is offering Sean Waltman $7,500 plus his Boglins collection if they can have a rematch, please.

Lol, the episode ends mid-sentence of Razor's promo.

Okay, this was a rough one. I have very low standards and am easily entertained, and just nostalgia and cheesiness will do most of my heavy lifting, but let me say this Raw was weak.

Just too much nonsense. I couldn't focus on the fights. Not that they were very good. Even the tag team matchup was very "meh." I'm also starting to feel the effects of their relatively small roster and half-baked conflicts. Unlike the Attitude era where they spent a lot of time on storylines and developing relationships between characters, the small pool they have to work with and fairly brief storylines means you get random matchups that have no run-up or payoff. Or they just create a brief feud out of nothing. This guy hates that guy because, for no reason, unprovoked, he insulted his grandmother!

Next week Marty Jannetty will fight Doink. Why? What's to gain? Why should I care? Jannetty still has beef with Michaels and we still need the final showdown between Crush and Doink, so why are they squaring off? Just because they haven't done so yet? Even the mixed tag team was an example of that. There aren't a lot of tag teams and they've matched up in most logical ways so now they're forced to start swapping partners? The Smoking Gunns have only had two matches in Raw, both against jobbers, and already they're having them mix partners instead of giving them a decent fight (hint: because they don't have a lot of options and need to save some). And why would Money Inc even partner with Headshrinkers? Where's the logic in that? They're night and day and DiBiase wouldn't consider them his equals enough to partner with.

Booooooo! Boooooo! Hisss! Booo!

Anyhow, next time it's King of the Ring.  

Eclipse12 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 25, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

spaceblancmange posted:

I choose to take this literally

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lol, it's so funny to see these reports where Vince is pretending to be an announcer instead of being the owner. Now that he has unleashed his insanity on the world, it's hard to ever go back and consider him just to be an interviewer/color guy rather than the Higher Power.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Fortunately turtles kid knows how to make a fun video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnsJmJ90u9U

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

He also makes a lot of really lovely ones though

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol, it's so funny to see these reports where Vince is pretending to be an announcer instead of being the owner.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Eclipse12 if you said that about Lawler anywhere in Tennessee you'd likely not make it out alive. Elvis and Lawyer are literal GODS if Memphis. USWA match results were on featured on the 6pm news for God's sake.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Eclipse12 if you said that about Lawler anywhere in Tennessee you'd likely not make it out alive. Elvis and Lawyer are literal GODS if Memphis. USWA match results were on featured on the 6pm news for God's sake.

Hah! I didn't know that. I could tell there was some prominence behind Lawler but I never knew what. That's awesome.

I guess my WWF experience features Lawler + JR on commentary so heavily its hard to take wrestling Lawler seriously. I know him almost entirely from his announcing so it still looks weird seeing him in the ring.

I will say, the way he just endlessly insults people is awesome, but that's just another reason he needs a microphone and not a wrestling match.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Eclipse12 posted:

Hah! I didn't know that. I could tell there was some prominence behind Lawler but I never knew what. That's awesome.

I guess my WWF experience features Lawler + JR on commentary so heavily its hard to take wrestling Lawler seriously. I know him almost entirely from his announcing so it still looks weird seeing him in the ring.

I will say, the way he just endlessly insults people is awesome, but that's just another reason he needs a microphone and not a wrestling match.

Youtube is full of his Memphis and AWA matches. He's a babyface (always called Jerry "The King" Lawler) and talks and acts completely different and but still has some great promos. Anything with Austin Idol, Bill Dundee, and Tommy Rich are some good feuds. Plus you get to hear Lance Russell and Dave Brown call the matches.

It was never acknowledged by the WWF but there was a cross promotion with the USWA where Vince was heel and claimed he would dethrone Lawler as "King" and then Macho Man and Owen Hart showed up for a week or two.

Anyway, I love watching his matches but the man is a HUGE sex pest and rapist.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bonzo posted:

Anyway, I love watching his matches but the man is a HUGE sex pest and rapist.

Also pedophile, don't forget pedophile

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Rarity posted:

Big TIME. The man's motto is pretty much, "I keep gettin' older and they stay the same age".

He was supposed to have a big match with the Hart family at Survivor Series one year but had to bow out as he was facing charges of raping a 15-year-old girl.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Rarity posted:

Lalalala I can't hear you lalalala

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Rarity posted:

Bonzo posted:

Big TIME. The man's motto is pretty much, "I keep gettin' older and they stay the same age".

He was supposed to have a big match with the Hart family at Survivor Series one year but had to bow out as he was facing charges of raping a 15-year-old girl.

:staredog:

No wonder Lawler is such a good heel. He's a literal piece of poo poo.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

This is why I try not to Google anything for my reports

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Eclipse12 posted:

Lalalala I can't hear you lalalala

Please don't ignore credible accusations of pedophilia

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

His autobiography is very interesting but has some really huge red flags that make you consider if you even want to finish it. The chapters about his marriage to Stacy Carter (Kat) are eye opening.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Rarity posted:

Please don't ignore credible accusations of pedophilia

Nah, I don't, trust me, I'll remember it every time I see him now :smith:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

If it helps you can envision him jerking off into women's shoes that he would steal.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

It doesn't help, thanks

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I forget the exact details, but wasn't there a wrestler back in the Memphis days who hated Lawler, and basically burned every bridge he had by alluding to Lawler's pending case involving a young teenaged girl, during a promo he was cutting on live TV?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

He'll be an esteemed senator from Tennessee in ten years or less.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

It's worth noting for context that those charges got dropped against him, whatever that's worth, but let that take nothing away from the time that Lawler tried to hit on AJ Lee during her guest commentary spot and she replies on live TV with a disgusted and slightly-too-genuine, "Jerry, I'm twenty-six... don't you think I'm a little too old for you?"

And then they swiftly moved on, since there wasn't much more left to say after that

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

It's worth noting for context that those charges got dropped against him, whatever that's worth, but let that take nothing away from the time that Lawler tried to hit on AJ Lee during her guest commentary spot and she replies on live TV with a disgusted and slightly-too-genuine, "Jerry, I'm twenty-six... don't you think I'm a little too old for you?"

:drat:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

jim cornette

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

It's worth noting for context that those charges got dropped against him, whatever that's worth,
"Never convicted in a court of law" is one hell of a take to have on this here site considering its previous owner.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lol, AJ Lee is a legend

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's nice to know Lawler will die before I do.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Here's a clip of this beautiful moment

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lmao at how quickly Lawler shuts up

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

frankenfreak posted:

"Never convicted in a court of law" is one hell of a take to have on this here site considering its previous owner.

Oh yeah, that's very much for the benefit of those following along at home and at some point Jonathan Frakes looks directly at camera and explains that maybe only you can decide

Somehow I suspect that Peacock will cut the segment from 1996 where Lawler cuts an angry promo where he calls Goldust a slur on national television. You know, because while it's certainly true that he decided almost immediately after returning from a serious child sex allegation that a cool gimmick for a commentary guy to have would be "basically the rear end-to-rear end guy from Requiem For A Dream, but for women's wrestling", that doesn't mean he'll just stand back and allow a grown man to run around in women's clothes like some sort of gross sex pervert

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

It sounds like Peacock is editing pretty heavily, and given the amount of offensive material, the average Raw/Smackdown runtime will probably now clock in at about 7 minutes.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

And then they swiftly moved on, since there wasn't much more left to say after that

did he move on?

https://twitter.com/AndyMaiden86/status/838669264575938560

Also

https://nypost.com/2017/03/06/jerry-lawler-retweets-story-on-his-1993-arrest-for-sodomy-rape/

quote:

At the time, the Tennessee native was accused of raping a teenage girl and intimidating a witness. The charges, which were eventually dropped, came just 12 days before Lawler was scheduled to wrestle at Survivor Series. He was briefly removed from television following the incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Shinjobi posted:

It's nice to know Lawler will die before I do.

I mean, he already did.