Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Origami Dali posted:

It's pretty wild that Facebook Horizon still isn't released.

Other issues aside, I don't see horizons getting any traction unless they back off on forcing everyone to have avatars straight out of corporate clip art. People want to be weird unique poo poo, not these guys:

Though... maybe rec room's popularity ends up disproving that idea :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

Other issues aside, I don't see horizons getting any traction unless they back off on forcing everyone to have avatars straight out of corporate clip art. People want to be weird unique poo poo, not these guys:

You're forgetting the endpoint of Horizon is "we put your actual scanned appearance in VR". Which nobody who's grown up with the internet is likely stupid enough to touch.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting the endpoint of Horizon is "we put your actual scanned appearance in VR". Which nobody who's grown up with the internet is likely stupid enough to touch.

I mean, i can see a lot of desire for that in certain situations. Remote work things, family things, etc it would be amazing to have your real appearance show up. To be chained to that 100% of the time always? Yeah no one wants that.

Like, even taking away the privacy aspect, how many guys or gals really want to appear in front of everyone online looking like simpson's comic book guy or worse? They would straight up just not use the service.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I just want to look like my Monster Hunter World character. Give this to me, Facebook.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Including having balloons attached to whatever I'm holding.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

making the ultimate device to escape from reality confront your flabby body

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

theflyingexecutive posted:

making the ultimate device to escape from reality confront your flabby body

lol yeah 100% of people will choose a stylized, filtered or otherwise manipulated avatar over just their own grotesque appearance.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hows hyper dash on quest?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Only a couple of hours into Half-Life: Alyx, and while there hasn't been a whole lot of "gameplay" yet, I don't even care. They managed to really scratch that "gently caress with everything in the environment" itch from previous Half-Lifes, but in VR so it's even better. Like they made boring poo poo like picking up rotten apples and matchboxes interesting and I've been playing in VR for a couple of years now. I also like the few weird, abstract environmental puzzles I've encountered so far.

It feels like more Half-Life, and that's good enough for me. I guess Half-Life just feels really dated at this point for a lot of people, but I'm glad it's back in some small way.

Turn the beer upside down, turn the beer right side up. Oooh, look at the bubbles, the condensation, shake it up, throw it at a zombies head.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm probably not the target market for FB Horizons or VR chat but I'd take this over the weird anime creep poo poo all over VR chat that made me delete it after 15 minutes.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

My spouse gave ASL on the Quest 2 a whirl, and was impressed (compared to being disappointed with the Index), but there are still some issues. The big limitation they found was that the Q2 can get confused/make a hand vanish when hands are close together, and while the trackable finger positions are generally far more accurate and fluid than Index, it still has trouble with a few common ASL positions, such as crossing fingers, and sliding the thumb between fingers (ex. finger-spelling "N" or "M"). Overall, as a medium to transfer ASL from real life to VR with minimal new learning curve, they found it a much better experience than Index, and hope that Oculus will sort out the hand proximity issues and recognize a few more common finger positions.

Given the head start that Oculus/Vive-specific signing has, it makes me wonder if the controller-forced adaptations used today will endure in VR even when we eventually have hand tracking (or controllers + hand tracking) that enable one to accurately sign anything in VR. VR-specific signing dialects, in a sense, that developed early and simply stick around because people are going to grow up with them. It's interesting to think about.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Any recommendations from this bundle? https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-vr-collection-build-your-own-bundle

I've got my eye on Battlewake, looks half decent but the fact it's not been talked about much is a bit of a warning sign.

Polybius I've already got, and that's trippy old-school fun.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Desdinova posted:

Any recommendations from this bundle? https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-vr-collection-build-your-own-bundle

I've got my eye on Battlewake, looks half decent but the fact it's not been talked about much is a bit of a warning sign.

Sprint Vector and Raw Data are both pretty successful at what they're trying to do; that's a good price for them if the gameplay is something you're interested in. Polybius aside, I've not heard much good about the rest. GRIP is apparently fine flatscreen but I don't know about the VR integration.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Desdinova posted:

Looked through that one yesterday myself, it looks like it's mostly 4-5 year old games with middling Steam reviews. Of the ones with good reviews, Sprint Vector sounds neat although a lot of the reviews say the multiplayer is dead, and Conductor is the only other one that seemed to stand out.

I have GRIP from a humble bundle or something and it's pretty okay as a racing game. The VR integration doesn't add a whole lot other than adding 3D depth and putting you "in the screen" as it were. I remember something being annoying about the controls but that was probably just an issue with the game in general, not the VR.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Pimax put out a beta update that gets 90hz working with the 8KX (30-series required):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaizLOmANro&t=484s

That headset wasn't for me because the focal distance is much closer than the other Pimax headsets. But that's still a really cool technical achievement, 3840x2160x2x90x3 is uhh... 4.47 billion subpixels rendered per second? The next best headset I think is the Reverb at 2.5 billion.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lockback posted:

I suspect the Index is built fine, it's just people who spend $1000 on it probably use it a lot. Securing that cable better is probably not a bad idea though.

My hours in my index are super super low compared to any other headset. I actually VR at most an hour a day anymore. And its pretty much me hitting some bloqs or something.

The cable mount is poorly designed.
The headset side plug is poorly designed.

The cable setup is really dumb and the fact its so easy to yank out of the headset side is baffling. So really, its not built fine. The end user also shouldn't have to come up with ideas to remount the cable so it dont yank on the port lol.

Also dont get me started on the connection end for the break away. What a piece of poo poo.

KakerMix posted:

To add my two cents I've not had any index headset issues and I bought it right when I could. Use it constantly, it's been great.

Anecdotes and all but hey

Ya, I've had less controller issues than others but im already seeing cable/headset issues.

This is exactly why I say quality control is a joke. It shouldn't be as common to see repeat things being broken/failing and I've been really chill with my index so seeing the glitter pixels already is kinda crazy to me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I've lucked out in I bought an Index on launch, and have had no hardware issues at all, beyond "these controllers blow."

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Leal posted:

(Valve support.jpg)

It took them 2 days for this. My avatar is me, irl

I'm actually flabbergasted, but maybe our issues are different. I only got one reply-and-troubleshoot from Valve support before they said "welp let's replace your cable", but my headset was going full-black instead of red.

E: never mind, our issues are definitely different, at least a little. Getting a different error (436) in the steam VR window.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shine posted:

I've lucked out in I bought an Index on launch, and have had no hardware issues at all, beyond "these controllers blow."

What's wrong with the Index controllers? I've had mine for about a year now, bought them to use with my Vive headset because the Vive controllers are poo poo, and outside of compatibility issues with older games they work great.

I was thinking of getting a second vr set to play multiplayer games, but based on these comments though, should I not spend some stimulus money on an Index? Seems like the Quest2 is the sweetheart device of this thread but I'm pretty wary of being locked in to using the Oculus store / having to link it to my facebook account, and from what I've read it sounds kinda on the low end spec-wise (like using a single screen for both eyes?), despite the bonus of portability, and that the controllers / tracking aren't great. Suppose I could just get another vive set and another pair of index controllers.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

raditts posted:

What's wrong with the Index controllers? I've had mine for about a year now, bought them to use with my Vive headset because the Vive controllers are poo poo, and outside of compatibility issues with older games they work great.

I was thinking of getting a second vr set to play multiplayer games, but based on these comments though, should I not spend some stimulus money on an Index? Seems like the Quest2 is the sweetheart device of this thread but I'm pretty wary of being locked in to using the Oculus store / having to link it to my facebook account, and from what I've read it sounds kinda on the low end spec-wise (like using a single screen for both eyes?), despite the bonus of portability, and that the controllers / tracking aren't great. Suppose I could just get another vive set and another pair of index controllers.

Without Boosters or Knuckle Dusters I cannot use them comfortably. My thumbs are too long and I cannot hit the buttons without shifting my hands all weird. So if I need A or B on either controller in a hurry, GL.

They also suffer from stick drift pretty easily. I know they've done a few things to try and fix it so no idea on current stock but my old ones drift like a fast and furious movie.

EDIT: Knuckle Dusters btw. I like em. Bit pricy tho. https://betaform.shop/products/knuckles-duster-two-vr-controller-grip-index-kd2

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

raditts posted:

For people who don't think they care about the Facebook integration the Quest 2 is the best balance of cost and value. If you have money to burn and don't care about mobile use the Index is absolutely better, it's just not 3x better.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

raditts posted:

Nothing, I think they are great. They just personally dislike them, and that's ok!

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Vertical Robot (Red Matter devs) have ported their earlier game Daedelus over to the Quest via App Lab. It's a trippy exploration/puzzle game. It was originally a Go/Gear game from 2017, but they've added 6DOF support, 4K textures, increased render resolution and 90hz frame rate.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3648247621900879/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROcAS8ItNNY

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My first pair of index controllers had to be RMA'd because of analog stick clicking issues and also the batteries suddenly dying. My second pair is chugging along fine so far.

Their biggest problem is the same problem the Steam Controller had: Lots of cool features, basically no games that use them, because Valve believes that "if you build it, they will come" and put zero effort into pushing developers to use them. So most of the time you have to deal with a slightly awkward control mapping that was designed for Oculus Touch and then shoehorned onto the Index. Which can get iffy if a developer assumes you have fine control over when the grip "button" activates.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
uploadvr really likes cosmodread
https://uploadvr.com/cosmodread-review-vr-horror-roguelike/

quote:

Cosmodread is a worthy successor to the cult-classic grandfather of VR horror games, Dreadhalls. Although it doesn’t do a whole lot to push the genre forward in many meaningful ways, it absolutely nails the suffocating terror, incredibly immersive atmosphere, and unnerving tension that makes VR horror so powerful. Visually it leaves a bit to be desired and can get repetitive due to its roguelike design, but it’s still a supremely effective and harrowing experience that all fans of spooky space adventures should absolutely check out.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I like the Index controllers fine, although I did have to get the 3D printed "large hands" attachments. My big problems with it are:

- I think the touchpad sucks as anything other than "big button" and even then, it still kind of sucks. In H3VR, it's too small and awkward for me to use it reliably in the classic control scheme, but in the streamlined controls, the barest of touches will turn the character 45 degrees. In HL:A, I constantly accidentally pushed it when trying to grab something out of the air since it's such a natural place for my thumb to rest. In every other game I only ever hit it by accident. It's also too awkward for my large hands to be able to use it to scroll or whatever in the SteamVR menus.
- Seriously, gently caress the touch pad
- I often find it hard to figure out which way the controller is "pointing". In H3VR, when using pistols or trying to grab something from the ground, I have to kind of point my wrist down a lot to aim it where I expect. I don't know if this is due to the way the controllers sit in my hands or if H3VR just doesn't have a sensible "direction" for the controller's orientation or what but it's annoying.

I love using them otherwise in HL:A and in Valve's "the Lab" and stuff. Other games I've played like Moss or the Room VR were also fine, except when I hit the touch pad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I find in blade and sorcery I am always clacking my controllers together but that’s because I have grabbed an ai foe by the head and am punching their face :haw:

drat that game gets me a little feral, it’s kinda disturbing

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Jenny Agutter posted:

in vrchat i once saw an enormous anime girl pick up another player and push him between her tits, so this is already possible given the right trust settings I guess *turns away and commences a thousand-yard stare*

That's pretty tame for a Great Pug lobby lol

I get really bad motion sickness with VR, but it does lessen over time. Games like HL Alyx don't affect me anymore, and in other games it really depends on what's going on. I 100% recommend setting up a fan for anyone that gets sick, and play in fitness clothes (or just get naked like a real goon)

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

w00tmonger posted:

Hows hyper dash on quest?

It's fun, I'd recommend it. The hybrid stick + teleport controls are interesting.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Next questions about the Quest2, since I might get one of those for
  • If I get one of those, I'm guessing I'm gonna want the 256gb model. I don't suppose there's any way to increase storage?
  • Also, what other accessories am I gonna need? I've seen the Elite Strap mentioned a few times but I don't know what it's for.
  • From what I understand you just need a USB-C cable to plug it into your PC. Looks like the official, overpriced cable has both ends as USB-C and one end is at a right angle. Is it necessary for one to be angled in order to fit well, and is there a reason both ends need to be USB-C as opposed to one end being USB-A like most ports on a PC are?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

raditts posted:

• If I get one of those, I'm guessing I'm gonna want the 256gb model. I don't suppose there's any way to increase storage?
  • Also, what other accessories am I gonna need? I've seen the Elite Strap mentioned a few times but I don't know what it's for.
  • From what I understand you just need a USB-C cable to plug it into your PC. Looks like the official, overpriced cable has both ends as USB-C and one end is at a right angle. Is it necessary for one to be angled in order to fit well, and is there a reason both ends need to be USB-C as opposed to one end being USB-A like most ports on a PC are?

No way to increase storage. And 256gb will be a freaking lot. Some games are less than 1gb.
You want a better strap than the default one. You may pick the official one, or buy a third party one.
Any usb will work, angled or not, as long is a decent cable. There are cables with usb-A on one side and -C on the other.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

raditts posted:

64gb is fine with how big most games are right now, this might change in future but I don't even have half my Quest 2 storage full. There is no expandable storage.
The elite strap is just a replacement for the standard fabric strap, it reduces the pressure on your face and makes it more comfortable for long play sessions and adds a ratchet wheel for adjusting it at the back which is useful if multiple people are going to be using it. See how you find the standard strap first, you might not mind it.
Any USB to USB-C cable will work for Link at this point (but USB 3.0 is recommended), you don't need both sides to be USB-C. The official cable is basically defunct and was made to be way better than it needed to be when the system was way less optimised than it is now. The angle on its port doesn't even fit the Quest 2 properly as they flipped the port on the headset 90 degrees. If you're really worried about the fit then you can get an adapter for a few bucks.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

raditts posted:

I'm the resident Knuckles Hater, is all. That said, I would take the Index controllers over the Vive controllers in a heartbeat, but in terms of gaming usability, I much prefer Oculus' controllers.

Quoting an old post:

Shine posted:

I was the one ranting about the Index controllers, yes. It was in the previous thread. I would take the Touch controllers over them in a heartbeat if they were Lighthouse compatible.

Basically, the finger sensing stuff is largely a gimmick because VR games are all designed to work with Touch/Vive as well, so other than making hand gestures in poker games or whatever, there's really no gameplay purpose to it. And it doesn't work well for, say, communicating in ASL (the first thing my spouse tried) because it doesn't detect if your extended fingers are touching each other or not. For a pop culture example, you can't do the Spock "live long and prosper" thing and have the Index mirror what your fingers are doing.

In games, the convenience of not having to hold the controllers is hampered by the requirement to remove your fingers when throwing things, which means the controller will shift around a lot if you throw something hard, such as in Echo Arena. You can mitigate this by strapping them super tight, but that's really uncomfortable, and they'll still shift enough that it makes me think about what they are doing on my hand, versus the Touch, which were secured by my ring/pinky fingers at all times and I would throw that disc as hard as I could without thinking about what the controller was doing. Ironically, the more "gamey" Touch controllers were more immersive for me, because they just disappeared into my hands and I didn't think about them or worry that they would slip around.

Index is fine (actually, great) for gentle throws, like tossing mags into the trash in H3VR, but I've all but stopped playing Echo Arena, because I'll basically have to use the trigger as grip and the grip as trigger, which means rewiring a lot of muscle memory. If anybody ever figures out a way to have only the middle finger sensor be used for grip, so that my ring/pinky fingers can just grip at all times like Touch, that'd be nice for games like Echo.

I also had to buy some 3D printed palm boosters to make them comfortable for more than like 20 minutes, and they're still not ideal. I have pretty large hands, but that wasn't a problem for Touch, which I could easily hold for hours on end.

Basically, the Index headset is stellar (and I play a lot of racing/flight sims where the controllers aren't used), but the controllers are a step down from Touch unless I wanna flip somebody off.

Regarding the ASL comment in here, it's worth noting that (as Neddy brought up recently) Deaf communities have worked around the current hand posing limitations of VR to essentially craft new, VR-specific sign language variants, so it's more a case of "the Index won't let an ASL-fluent person put on the knuckles controllers and simply sign ASL," since while Index does open things up (individual finger extensions, for example), many common positions (such as several ASL finger-spelling letters, like "R" and "T") still aren't possible to pose on Index. My ASL-fluent spouse likened it to learning a new dialect of a language, based on them watching VR signing videos on YouTube.

I wonder if implementation of the Index for VR signing has followed how the Index has been implemented with games. With games, some case-specific enhancements come with its basic finger sensors, but games are still built primarily around the Touch/Vive/WMR controllers, as requiring Index finger posing would cut out roughly 85% of users. I would think that, with the Index being a premium-cost device that hit the market several years into PCVR emerging, VR signing would still largely revolve around accessibility with the Touch/Vive/WMR controllers, with Index being an optional enhancement to bridge some gaps between early VR signing and non-VR signing. My spouse is going to hop into VR chat at some point and ask around, as it's a really intriguing topic.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

priznat posted:

Same, the only downsides are it's only single player and it is so far ahead of any other VR game it will be a drag having to go back to that once I'm done with it.
I considered getting into VR and specifically wanted to do FPS games. But I guess this confirms my fears that there's nothing else close to what HL Alyx does? No Man's Sky maybe?

I have zero interest in standing still "experiences" or "teleporting" around but it looks like that's all that's out there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So what can SteamVR/the Index do with other games to interfere with them? Microsoft Flightsim does frequent multisecond freezes when my Index is hooked up, and stops doing it when disconnected.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

raditts posted:

You got other advice but the included strap is total garbage. Elite strap is nice for most people, there are other straps available if you want a Halo one or whatever.

You can use any cable, I use an active USB3.0 and then a A-C to my headset. Get something that can handle 3.0 speeds, not all 3.0 cables do. You can also use virtual desktop to use your WIFI to stream from your PC to your headset wirelessly, works great if you have the right network layout.

I didn't think I'd use the onboard storage much but I got the 256GB from costco and glad I did. I think its worth it for most, but not required.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Roman posted:

I considered getting into VR and specifically wanted to do FPS games. But I guess this confirms my fears that there's nothing else close to what HL Alyx does? No Man's Sky maybe?

I have zero interest in standing still "experiences" or "teleporting" around but it looks like that's all that's out there.

No Man’s Sky is pretty neat and the VR was fun to muck about with but I find the base game pretty dull and get bored of it fast.

I also use the teleport in most games because using stick walking in VR still makes me queasy, although teleporting has a lot of issues too.

Other stuff like hotdogs horseshoes and hand grenades and blade and sorcery aren’t full games but they are a LOT of fun to muck around in. I’m pretty new to VR but overall I don’t regret jumping in. I may have gone with an index over the reverb g2 instead just to avoid the sucky controllers and wmr abandoned feeling but overall it has been good. The reverb display is really nice although I don’t really have any frame of reference.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Roman posted:

There's plenty of high-action running around FPS shooty VR games - it's just none of them have even 1/10th the budget that Alyx has. Lots and lots of small indie stuff of varying quality levels, and nothing that can match alyx for length, polish, fidelity.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

raditts posted:

Just because no one else has mentioned it, if you're going to be streaming from a PC via Virtual Desktop for cable-free Steam games (which you should at least have on your radar, it's one of the Quest's main features imo), the space on your Quest becomes even less relevant. This also reduces the necessity for a cable, I bought a Link and have literally never used it because streaming is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Agoat posted:

That's pretty tame for a Great Pug lobby lol

I get really bad motion sickness with VR, but it does lessen over time. Games like HL Alyx don't affect me anymore, and in other games it really depends on what's going on. I 100% recommend setting up a fan for anyone that gets sick, and play in fitness clothes (or just get naked like a real goon)

I personally got a bit queasy at first playing Boneworks if I played from a standing position. Moving to a seated position completely stopped most queasy feelings I was having while playing.

What's the thought behind the fan or fitness clothing, though?