Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Serf posted:

all the things i've seen so far say that the vaccines are effective against the different strains. is that no longer the case?

They should be, the problem is we're opening up before everyone is vaccinated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Serf posted:

all the things i've seen so far say that the vaccines are effective against the different strains. is that no longer the case?

The mrna vaccines we're relying on have basically no data for e484k variants, tho they're very effective against b1117

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
epidemiologists even in Biden's admin are telling you that high community spread and partial vaccination are the perfect grounds to make escape variants, but sure, go meet your vaccinated family and friends who I'm sure are telling you the truth that they are not doing anything else that is riskier behavior, like seeing other friends or eating out or going into the grocery store more as mask mandates are revoked or working retail or seeing unvaxxed grandchildren that are forced back into school or tinder or

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

oh we are just doing this all again, huh? this time I think I'll pick up more TP.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

fosborb posted:

epidemiologists even in Biden's admin are telling you that high community spread and partial vaccination are the perfect grounds to make escape variants, but sure, go meet your vaccinated family and friends who I'm sure are telling you the truth that they are not doing anything else that is riskier behavior, like seeing other friends or eating out or going into the grocery store more as mask mandates are revoked or working retail or seeing unvaxxed grandchildren that are forced back into school or tinder or

Especially bc much escapier variants show up repeatedly when covid is challenged with vaccinee serum in the lab

Serf
May 5, 2011

gonna have to start compiling all this info so that i can make my pitch to my job that i should keep working from home (which will be denied)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Iron Crowned posted:

Rules doesn't it? One week for 40+ here before everyone counts.

We're still doing 75+. Before AZ was put on hold and J&J failed to deliver I was set to receive my first shot around July or August. lmao

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

fosborb posted:

the reason israel is at 0.55 despite only half vaxxed and swimming in b117 is because they are still far more locked down than anyone in the US is even today

US has riskier behavior = higher r0 = more vaccines necessary to get below 1.0

the fear, echoed from everyone in the federal government right now, is that american behavior is going to increase in risk faster than vaccines lower risk. They could do something about this, of course, but......

I just wouldn't be throwing around may 11 as a return to normal date for the US

of course not, the president has made July 4th the day that things will officially be back to normal. OPEN BIDEN!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
cdc says meet one additional household indoors without a mask as long as everyone but the children are fully vaccinated, explicitly not because it's the safest thing to do but because they're trying to give grandma at least some reward for getting vaccinated to encourage dismal adoption rates

loving everyone, apparently: CAN'T WAIT TO. EAT lovely HAM WITH MEEMAW AND ALL MY AUNTS AND UNCLES AND COUSINS ON EASTER SUNDAY CDC SAYS ITS OKAY AND IM JUST SO TIRED OF BEING A GOOD BOY

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I, for one, welcome our newly imminent mass death.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Lol, add me to goon spouses.txt, my wife said she was gonna take some vacation from work this afternoon to go to Home Depot and get a bunch of gardening stuff and got real mad when I said we should just go after dinner when they arent busy instead, Google maps tells you exactly what hours places are usually full of people but I guess that's not a valid data source. We're in between our first and second shots this is the stupidest poo poo we are only three weeks away from being two weeks post our second shots.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

escape from COVID york

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

Lol, add me to goon spouses.txt, my wife said she was gonna take some vacation from work this afternoon to go to Home Depot and get a bunch of gardening stuff and got real mad when I said we should just go after dinner when they arent busy instead, Google maps tells you exactly what hours places are usually full of people but I guess that's not a valid data source. We're in between our first and second shots this is the stupidest poo poo we are only three weeks away from being two weeks post our second shots.

she could at least go to a local ace hardware where there are no contractors and everyone working there is 75+ and much more likely to be vaccinated themselves

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Jon Irenicus posted:

oh we are just doing this all again, huh? this time I think I'll pick up more TP.

Fortunately this time around we've all learned from our mistakes, so the children can attend school.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fosborb posted:

she could at least go to a local ace hardware where there are no contractors and everyone working there is 75+ and much more likely to be vaccinated themselves

It's more just an ongoing thing from all year where she wants to go do something at peak times because that's when she's used to shopping and it's most convenient and I want to plan in advance and either avoid the trip by ordering online or go early morning or right before close. And mostly we don't go but she's convinced herself that stores are empty on weekday afternoons between lunch and the end of the office workday and that's the time to go even though google maps data completely disagrees with that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fosborb posted:

loving everyone, apparently: CAN'T WAIT TO. EAT lovely HAM WITH MEEMAW AND ALL MY AUNTS AND UNCLES AND COUSINS ON EASTER SUNDAY CDC SAYS ITS OKAY AND IM JUST SO TIRED OF BEING A GOOD BOY

My Easter plans are that my roommate is insisting that I watch The Passion of the Christ with her :(

I guess that's fair since I made her watch Mandy a while back.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've seen enough movies to know that a new variant is coming with a 20% cfr

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

It's more just an ongoing thing from all year where she wants to go do something at peak times because that's when she's used to shopping and it's most convenient and I want to plan in advance and either avoid the trip by ordering online or go early morning or right before close. And mostly we don't go but she's convinced herself that stores are empty on weekday afternoons between lunch and the end of the office workday and that's the time to go even though google maps data completely disagrees with that.

This is probably the worst time to hit up hardware and/or lawn and garden stores anyway. Won't matter what time of day it is, they're going to be packed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

This is probably the worst time to hit up hardware and/or lawn and garden stores anyway. Won't matter what time of day it is, they're going to be packed

They were packed a year ago, they will be double packed now. Triple packed!!!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

Most definitely, but before 8 AM or after 7PM on weekdays it's almost empty. The thing is it's extremely easy to look at a place and figure out when is a good time to go! Google Maps shows you expected amount of people there for any day of the week plus data in real time for what it's currently like.

Hardware stores are at their busiest in the early afternoon, any day of the week.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

'Bout to Dale Earnhardt this poo poo! USA! USA!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

big cummers ONLY posted:

I am learning about the new upward case trend for the first time this morning. I am dismayed. The prospect of reliving last year as the only person I know being aware of how bad things can get is psychically overwhelming and makes me want to shut down.

What is the prospect of case numbers increasing while # of people vaccinated also increases? What are the primary concerns? There is no loving way the US is going to come even close to the half assed mitigation measures it took last year, again.

I was never going to return to movie theaters or indoor dining, but I was at least thinking in a few weeks I could see my friends and family indoors. If I have to pull back on that... I'm just not strong enough. I will break. I landed in the psych ward, lost friends, nearly lost my job, spent every hour of the day worrying about things I could not stop. I can't do it again.

You don't have to. Iirc you're vaxxed and there's zero evidence any of the variants are hitting our one real world study (israel) hard. Yes yes they're under some kind of partial lockdown but since mask mandates still exist in illinois you're good to go - you might not want to see a movie in a crowd but you can definitely go see friends outside all summer and have drinks with them, go use their bathroom, and if you're nervous just wear a mask. No one was wearing a mask outside from may to october last year

Personally, my whole extended family is getting together for a funeral, over half are vaccinated. Some coming via plane, some via train. Church service will be interminable and require a mask, but once the after party goes to someone's house I guarantee only the unlucky few who want the vaccine and can't get it yet will keep their masks on. After all, that has been the reality for millions of people for a year - forced to be inside around other people who don't wear masks properly or at all.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Forseti posted:

'Bout to Dale Earnhardt this poo poo! USA! USA!

lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dolphin posted:

I've seen enough movies to know that a new variant is coming with a 20% cfr

Can anyone reasonably argue that we don't deserve it?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Tzen posted:

Alright deal I'm getting an MMR booster. I'm in-between vaxx shot #1 and #2. When's the best time to get it then? 2 weeks after my second vaxx jab?

Soap Scum posted:

wait, I think this is suboptimal. the titers to the COVID vaccines seem to build up over a somewhat long period of time (see the JnJ graph that indicates at least 8 weeks). if you get MMR in the middle of your ongoing immune response to the COVID vaccines, some of your immune system's capacity will still be going towards the MMR response instead of the COVID response.

i think a more effective approach is to finish your mRNA doses as planned and then get MMR after, say, two or three months of waiting from mRNA dose two.

I'm not a doctor/medical professional and I'm like about to fall asleep and too lazy to google but I'm pretty sure that there is guidance to *not* get other vaccines, any vaccines, within two weeks of a COVID vaccine, and I think this is at least part of the underlying reason. please check me on this, but just wanted to weigh in before it got buried

yeah i wouldn't think getting an MMR booster around your actual covid shots is a good idea. The current covid vaccines all give extremely good protection so let that ride for a while.

my plan, subject to change of course, is to get an MMR booster heading into fall when my Covid antibodies from the vaccine i received in february might start to wane a bit. kind of like bridging the gap until the inevitable covid booster shot

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who else is stoked about the Windows 10 spring update?? It's going to have Multicamera support for Windows Hello, tons of upgrades to Windows defender so you'll never be a victim of hacking, plus Windowss Management Instrumentation (WMI) Group Policy Service (GPSVC) for support of remote work! It's the most amazing upgrade to an operating system in history and just in time for the new surge in Covid19 cases!

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

mastershakeman posted:

You don't have to. Iirc you're vaxxed and there's zero evidence any of the variants are hitting our one real world study (israel) hard.

Israel has barely any of the escape variants that are starting to hit the US. No brazilian or south african variant prevalence

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

And that everyone at-risk under 50 got lumped in with everyone else, because gently caress you, that's why. Really setting things up for total catastrophe.

Especially excited that I potentially get to kill some extremely at-risk people once the totally unnecessary in-person poo poo starts up again for ressourceforløb. They never mandated masks there and every location is a tiny room crammed full of people.

Trust the plan!

(Concerns the Danish strategy for reopening)

https://www.dr.dk/engagement/taet-paa/stil-spoersgmaal-om-ny-genaabning-hvorfor-aabner-vi-ikke-ogsaa-restauranterbarerfrisoerer posted:

READ THE ANSWERS 'It is part of the plan that the infections will increase in the next few weeks'
(..)
We have a contact number of over 1 under current measures. Isn't it a big risk with reopening now? Yes, the season has an effect and we underestimated it last year, but the behavior was also different.

Viggo Andreasen
It is part of the reopening plan that the infection will increase in the coming weeks. The expectation is that we will have an epidemic that will be about half the size of the Christmas epidemic and that peaks in early May. Yes, it is a somewhat risky strategy, but there is a very strong desire for reopening and one can probably also rightly say that we must find a balance between epidemic control and other societal considerations. The strategy should secure us against overcrowded hospitals.
(..)

Ohh :eng99:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

mastershakeman posted:

You don't have to. Iirc you're vaxxed and there's zero evidence any of the variants are hitting our one real world study (israel) hard. Yes yes they're under some kind of partial lockdown but since mask mandates still exist in illinois you're good to go - you might not want to see a movie in a crowd but you can definitely go see friends outside all summer and have drinks with them, go use their bathroom, and if you're nervous just wear a mask. No one was wearing a mask outside from may to october last year

Personally, my whole extended family is getting together for a funeral, over half are vaccinated. Some coming via plane, some via train. Church service will be interminable and require a mask, but once the after party goes to someone's house I guarantee only the unlucky few who want the vaccine and can't get it yet will keep their masks on. After all, that has been the reality for millions of people for a year - forced to be inside around other people who don't wear masks properly or at all.

in other words we are hosed lmao

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Thoguh posted:

Most definitely, but before 8 AM or after 7PM on weekdays it's almost empty. The thing is it's extremely easy to look at a place and figure out when is a good time to go! Google Maps shows you expected amount of people there for any day of the week plus data in real time for what it's currently like.

Hardware stores are at their busiest in the early afternoon, any day of the week.

Good timing, I am about to have to go to a big box for some PVC stuff and now I've decided I'm going after 8pm. It will be my first trip inside a retail store in over a year.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Fireside Nut posted:

yeah i wouldn't think getting an MMR booster around your actual covid shots is a good idea. The current covid vaccines all give extremely good protection so let that ride for a while.

my plan, subject to change of course, is to get an MMR booster heading into fall when my Covid antibodies from the vaccine i received in february might start to wane a bit. kind of like bridging the gap until the inevitable covid booster shot

Is there an easy way to check your vaccination history? I'm about 95% sure the answer is no, but like, even if you ask your doctor are they even likely to be able to access it if they aren't the ones that administered it?

I had a bunch of boosters in 2015 before I did a big through hike, but the ones that stand out in my mind are tetanus and hepatitis

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I don't get why they're pausing AZ in these countries instead of opening it to all age groups. I'd be so pissed if I was a young person in those countries.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SchnorkIes posted:

Israel has barely any of the escape variants that are starting to hit the US. No brazilian or south african variant prevalence

If they're really going to break past the vaccines, just call them sars3. And then they will also go kill everyone in israel when they reopen business travel after vaccinating their whole population against sars2

As to the funeral I was thinking of it like this : the 9? Or so vaccinated people can definitely gather with each other however they want. The unvaccinated can either not come or stay outside, or wear a mask inside. Hell, one of the unvaccinated ones is in her late 50s, used to be a doctor, and just took a job at lowes because she's bored. That's vastly riskier working that job than any in person family gathering where are least 11 relatives are past the second dose and a few others past the first

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

fosborb posted:

Let's be real those escape variants are showing up no matter what anyone in this thread does. The trajectory American society (and frankly the entire west) guarantees we're going to explore the full range of mutations this virus can undergo while still remaining viable and infectious. School re-openings with vaccinated but older teachers, for-profit care homes with vaccinated residents + abysmal hygiene standards, boomers rushing back to restaurants are just some examples of the settings that will reliably churn out variants as long as community spread is uncontrolled.

This isn't an argument for people to head to Applebee's or whatever, just that yelling at people for meeting other vaccinated people is like #13456 on the list of risky behaviors that will make sure this drags out for years. Of course those people meeting up should be aware they risk asymptomatic ally infecting unvaccinated people who might be exposed to them, but my guess is this isn't a common risk for the average bunker-dweller itt.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If there's some new killer variant that dodgers the current vaccine is it likely they'd be able to produce a new vaccine faster than the current crop? I wonder what that timeline would look like. Distribution would still be a nightmare.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Donut deal is NOT being honored at the krispy kremes in Puerto Rico!!

God drat

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dolphin posted:

If there's some new killer variant that dodgers the current vaccine is it likely they'd be able to produce a new vaccine faster than the current crop? I wonder what that timeline would look like. Distribution would still be a nightmare.

Distribution will be a joke, it'll just be a repeat of this time, except they probably will just keep the floodgates open.

I guess on the plus side, there'll be vaccine burnout, so it'll probably be easier to get a new jab every few months

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nocturtle posted:

Let's be real those escape variants are showing up no matter what anyone in this thread does. The trajectory American society (and frankly the entire west) guarantees we're going to explore the full range of mutations this virus can undergo while still remaining viable and infectious. School re-openings with vaccinated but older teachers, for-profit care homes with abysmal hygiene standards, boomers rushing back to restaurants are just some examples of the settings that will reliably churn out variants as long as community spread is uncontrolled.

This isn't an argument for people to head to Applebee's or whatever, just that yelling at people for meeting other vaccinated people is like #13456 on the list of risky behaviors that will make sure this drags out for years. Of course those people meeting up should be aware they risk asymptomatic ally infecting unvaccinated people who might be exposed to them, but my guess is this isn't a common risk for the average bunker-dweller itt.

Yeah, once you are vaccinated, just don't do poo poo that recklessly endangers unvaccinated people. otherwise, your good behavior is such an infinitesimally small contribution, it does not matter. Wear a mask when needed, and then just try and get back to normal as much as possible, because this country's will still be full of absolute morons just slavering at the chance to catch and spread covid.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Dolphin posted:

The vaccine itself can be produced in weeks but until something changes and they can treat it like a flu shot the trials will take almost as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thesaurus posted:

Donut deal is NOT being honored at the krispy kremes in Puerto Rico!!

God drat