Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Shammypants posted:

I mean.. to a lesser extent, we have that in San Francisco downtown and NYC as well. I've taken elevators a number of times to businesses like this.

the only ones i can think of are inside hotels. this sounds like something different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

the only ones i can think of are inside hotels. this sounds like something different

Someone else can probably explain better but

-

If you're an American you probably think that the shops on the ground floor of those buildings are retail businesses/restaurants and above is some offices/apartments.

But every single floor of every building your'e seeing there is almost certainly another restaurant or retail establishment, up to about 8 floors, on that entire street. Pretty much all of Shinjuku is like that. Also, for fun, Shinjuku station is also like 8 floors downwards and incredibly confusing.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it isn't perfect but god drat some of the public housing projects in hong kong are amazing. a cluster of a half dozen forty-story buildings right next to hilly open green space. everything in the us just gets covered in a thin layer of mcmansions without leaving a semblance of nature to be seen in any direction

just look at this. why can't we have nice things

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_housing_estates_in_Tseung_Kwan_O#Kin_Ming_Estate

we cant have that in the US because americans all need to have their own personal little chunk of green space instead, and also americans all hate each other, and also something about high rise projects filled with dangerous poors who will invade your perfect mcmansion suburb on the dangerous hell train, and also more density = less gas and cars being bought

also shadows will destroy my neighborhood character! wont u think of my property values, ur scaring away customers for my mcmansion with ur brutalist poverty apocalypse towers :qq:

e: also construction is insanely expensive in america, lots of extra money is needed for the managers and the consultants and the managers of the consultants and the consultants for the managers, and a report, and a report on the report, and a dozen lawsuits about shadow dangers and evil poors and violent wind vortexes, and a report on the lawsuits, and golden shovels for politicians to hold during the groundbreaking ceremony, and to repair cracks in the brand new beams that were just installed, and for repairs on the bolts that rusted right after being installed, and also for the CEOs 69th yacht fund

Rah! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 25, 2021

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Jaxyon posted:

Someone else can probably explain better but

-

If you're an American you probably think that the shops on the ground floor of those buildings are retail businesses/restaurants and above is some offices/apartments.

But every single floor of every building your'e seeing there is almost certainly another restaurant or retail establishment, up to about 8 floors, on that entire street. Pretty much all of Shinjuku is like that. Also, for fun, Shinjuku station is also like 8 floors downwards and incredibly confusing.

It's not super common but yes we do have that in the US. My last visit to Chinatown I went into a few 7-10 story buildings where every story was a business. In NY it happens sometimes but also not terribly common.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rah! posted:

we cant have that in the US because americans all need to have their own personal little chunk of green space instead, and also americans all hate each other, and also something about high rise projects filled with dangerous poors who will invade your perfect mcmansion suburb on the dangerous hell train, and also more density = less gas and cars being bought

also shadows will destroy my neighborhood character! wont u think of my property values, ur scaring away customers for my mcmansion with ur brutalist poverty apocalypse towers :qq:

e: also construction is insanely expensive in america, lots of extra money is needed for the managers and the consultants and the managers of the consultants and the consultants for the managers, and a report, and a report on the report, and a dozen lawsuits about shadow dangers and evil poors and violent wind vortexes, and a report on the lawsuits, and golden shovels for politicians to hold during the groundbreaking ceremony, and to repair cracks in the brand new beams that were just installed, and for repairs on the bolts that rusted right after being installed, and also for the CEOs 69th yacht fund

we cant have public housing in america because in america the primary purpose of housing is a store and catalyst of speculative value, which public housing can't contribute to by definition

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
Newsom moving up the timeline for 16+ from May 1st to April 15th, pretty stoked to see things moving this fast:

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2021/03/25/s...pply-increases/

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

we cant have public housing in america because in america the primary purpose of housing is a store and catalyst of speculative value, which public housing can't contribute to by definition

yeah they dont contribute to the yacht fund at all :sad:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rah! posted:

This is true, we literally don't have any dense housing in the entire state :jerkbag:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

This is true, we literally don't have any dense housing in the entire state :jerkbag:

Do you see many public housing towers getting built in modern day america, let alone at the scale of the Hong Kong example that was posted?

Also people complain like hell about any kind of high-rise building, public housing or not, in many parts of America, even in big cities that already have lots of them, and it's one of the reasons why there isn't enough housing.

For example, SF is finishing up a two-decade construction project of a new neighborhood of midrise and baby-sized high rise buildings, many of which would have been significantly taller and provided much more housing, if some rich people in the next neighborhood over didn't complain constantly that the height would block their views.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 25, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
If you want to see how Japanese city design works, play the Yakuza series.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rah! posted:

Do you see many public housing towers getting built in modern day america, let alone at the scale of the Hong Kong example that was posted?

Also people complain like hell about any kind of high-rise building, public housing or not, in many parts of America, even in big cities that already have lots of them, and it's one of the reasons why there isn't enough housing.

Do I see towers like that? No? Do I see low density houses and business parks getting turned into high density apartment complexes? Yes.

These stupid "Uh, yeah, lemme break down the REAL REASON we can't have nice things and you shouldn't even bother trying" screeds are so tiring.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Do I see towers like that? No? Do I see low density houses and business parks getting turned into high density apartment complexes? Yes.

The topic was big rear end public housing towers with nearby open space, not small apartment buildings for mostly rich people.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

These stupid "Uh, yeah, lemme break down the REAL REASON we can't have nice things and you shouldn't even bother trying" screeds are so tiring.

lol I'm not the one saying we shouldn't even bother trying. A bunch of soup brained racist capitalists who run everything are the ones saying that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hate to interrupt the interminable arguments about population density, but some actual political news has happened:

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1375140297060016139?s=19

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
~Liberal activist justices legislating from the bench~ bail out us idiot voters yet again, you love to see it.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
do prop 13 next

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I hate to interrupt the interminable arguments about population density, but some actual political news has happened:

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1375140297060016139?s=19

gently caress yeah

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Reading the actual article, the tweet is a bit overzealous in calling cash bail over:

quote:

The unanimous decision by the California Supreme Court comes four months after 55% of voters refused to end cash bail at the ballot box. While a hit to the state’s bail industry, Thursday’s court ruling was not as sweeping as some expected, and a lawyer for the industry said it could live with it.

lbert Ramirez, general counsel of the Golden State Bail Agents Assn., said the no-bail law voters rejected would have killed the industry, but it can survive with the requirements set by the California Supreme Court.

Those who can afford bail will continue to post it, and bail amounts for others may now come down as a result of the ruling, he said. Bail in California has been “ridiculously high,” he said, and the industry recognizes that. He said he hoped the ruling would deter the Legislature from trying to end money bail altogether.

Though the decision may reduce profits for the industry, “we can live with it,” he said.

In the past, California judges have based bail decisions on a set schedule and defendants’ criminal records and the serious of the charged offenders, without considering whether the accused could afford bail. That left hundreds of thousands of defendants behind bars before their trials because they could not afford to post bail.

Bail schedules will remain, and people who are arrested can continue to post the required amounts, Ramirez said. But the accused are entitled to bail hearings within 48 hours after arrest, and they now can argue to a judge that they cannot afford the set amounts.

Now “you may get out for free after 48 hours,” Ramirez said.

Don't get me wrong, it's a huge improvement, but it does preserve cash bail and the bail bonds industry. Judges can also still rule to hold you if they think that you're a flight risk of a danger, and it's not clear on how that risk assessment will be calculated: discretion of the judge, some kind of algorithm or schedule, etc.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I mean I like the helicopter view of these, but I'm looking at real estate listings, and they seem kind of small. For example, three beds and two baths in only 674 square feet.

I'm not saying we shouldn't build something like this, but you're not going to stick as many people in them as you might think you are.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

but you're not going to stick as many people in them as you might think you are.

true, americans are fat as hell

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

If the choices are everyone is safely housed in small but livable housing and we have some green space, or not everyone is housed but everything is paved anyway then sign me up for a closet and a state/county/national park annual pass.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

If the choices are everyone is safely housed in small but livable housing and we have some green space, or not everyone is housed but everything is paved anyway then sign me up for a closet and a state/county/national park annual pass.

:hai:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

No no, you're not thinking about it the AMERICAN WAY(tm).

Everyone who isn't rich is safely housed in small but livable housing owned by the rich, and the state/county/national parks are privatized and become large-acreage homes for the rich. :haw:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Craptacular! posted:

I mean I like the helicopter view of these, but I'm looking at real estate listings, and they seem kind of small. For example, three beds and two baths in only 674 square feet.

I'm not saying we shouldn't build something like this, but you're not going to stick as many people in them as you might think you are.

i mean we're already indulging in fantasy just daydreaming about public housing in general, why not

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My only sticking point is ownership. Are people forking over over half their pay to some megalandlord who owns everything for the privilege of living close to work and “culture” or are these apartments available for purchase and can you use them to build equity? My 401k and piddly little index fund won’t be enough to live on after retirement (I fully expect SS to be killed by then, likely by a Democrat president).

I just moved to the exurbs. I have about ten times as much space and 100% less trash and human poo poo in my walkway every day. It loving rocks, and it would take a complete overhaul of how American cities are run for me to even think about moving to an urban core again.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Theyre free. You just live there.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

ProperGanderPusher posted:

My only sticking point is ownership. Are people forking over over half their pay to some megalandlord who owns everything for the privilege of living close to work and “culture” or are these apartments available for purchase and can you use them to build equity? My 401k and piddly little index fund won’t be enough to live on after retirement (I fully expect SS to be killed by then, likely by a Democrat president).

I just moved to the exurbs. I have about ten times as much space and 100% less trash and human poo poo in my walkway every day. It loving rocks, and it would take a complete overhaul of how American cities are run for me to even think about moving to an urban core again.

I think the overall point is A) Houses shouldn't be treated as people's retirement funds. That creates a self-destructive cycle where "home ownership" aka single-family home ownership especially is seen as the only way to accumulate wealth, so people are far less willing to allow affordable or free rental units/public housing to be built in their desirable neighborhoods. This basically is NIMBYISM 101.

Also it's no co-coincidence many of these single family neighborhoods are not integrated, (aka, 90% white or more) but get the best services, schools, ect. But functionally unless you are white and wealthy they are impossible to afford or live in.

Also B) Having everyone live in the exurbs is regressive as it forces car ownership, and it's awful for the environment/land use.

My take is this. Is a single family home owner who uses their political power to form covenants/HOAs/get politicians on a council to oppose affordable housing and keep their little white enclave exclusionary any better than a landlord who exploits their tenants?

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 26, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Solaris 2.0 posted:

My take is this. Is a single family home owner who uses their political power to form covenants/HOAs/get politicians on a council to oppose affordable housing and keep their little white enclave exclusionary any better than a landlord who exploits their tenants?

I would say "yes," they are less worse, because a single family home owner is at least a worker who pays down their mortgage through labor. A landlord is purely a bourgeois parasite.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I would say "yes," they are less worse, because a single family home owner is at least a worker who pays down their mortgage through labor. A landlord is purely a bourgeois parasite.

You'll be shocked how much this is not true but OK.

Where do you think those landlords live? How many landlords are single family home owners that are also renting out......other single family homes?

The idea that landlords all own mega slumlord projects or luxury condos and that alone is the entire reason housing is expensive is false. Exclusionary single-family neighborhoods are every bit as much of the problem, if not more so, simply because those single family homes take up far more of the valuable land.

*EDIT*

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Slum-charges-fly-in-fracas-over-affordable-15880321.php

I can find thousands of more articles like this one

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 26, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
All landlords, every single one, are bad. It's not a defensible position.

Edit: Cup Runneth Over said is succinctly; they're parasites. Someone with capital uses it to extract money from those without. They hold your home hostage. It's unethical. We're not just complaining about corporations that ignore tenant's requests to get things fixed.

droll fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 26, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

droll posted:

All landlords, every single one, are bad. It's not a defensible position.

Edit: Cup Runneth Over said is succinctly; they're parasites. Someone with capital uses it to extract money from those without. They hold your home hostage. It's unethical. We're not just complaining about corporations that ignore tenant's requests to get things fixed.

That wasn't my argument.

You get rid of all the landlords you're still left with all the exclusionary single-family neighborhoods / zoned land where you are never allowed to build any additional housing, much less public housing. These neighborhoods are all built on the best land with the best access to resources as well.

You can't fight one and then ignore the other, equally giant, elephant in the room.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
actually, landlords should gently caress off and get real jobs and work for a living, just like everyone else.

a landlord complaining about landlording is like a tick complaining about how bad a dog tastes

both should be plucked off and squeezed out of existence.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
If the parasite can't buy other homes to suck our money, the homes become cheaper for workers to buy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Turns out the people behind the recall Newsom campaign are racist as gently caress.

quote:

SACRAMENTO — Organizers of the campaign to recall Gov. Gavin Newsom have repeatedly called the coronavirus a “Chinese” virus over the past year, echoing rhetoric that Asian American leaders say has fueled racist attitudes and violence.

On its website, the recall campaign referred to the virus as the “Communist Chinese Party (CCP) Virus,” and some political operatives who have worked on the effort have used similar language.

The language appeared among a list of reasons to recall Newsom, along with an apparent reference to immigrant-owned businesses that have received stimulus money during the pandemic.

“Funding Illegal Alien owned businesses in the amount of $50 Million because CA received federal funding for the Communist Chinese Party (CCP) Virus [Covid-19/Corona],” the website said.

Recall organizers said Sunday night that they planned to remove the reference. Randy Economy, a spokesperson for the recall committee, said the campaign apologizes “if anybody was offended” by it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

edit- Meh

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 26, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Turns out the people behind the recall Newsom campaign are racist as gently caress.

Racists in my Republican Party? It's more likely than you think!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The recall effort was never being run in good faith, even if it was fueled in part by a general dissatisfaction across party lines at how Newsom handled and conducted himself during the pandemic.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
What should the state do with incidental landlords (e.g. an only child inheriting their parents house, who presumably has a non-landlord job)? Force a sale? Not trying to argue not all landlords, but it seems like a somewhat different situation than someone buying up properties with the intention to earn their income by being a landlord. An obvious partial improvement would be to repeal Prop 13 so more taxes are paid to go toward other services, but I am not sure how to prevent all landlordism without the state forcing sales and then also prohibiting owning more than one property.

Note, my family has been in the bay area for generations with a chain of a single children on one side so I am literally asking this question for future advice. What should I do? At no point has anyone in my family been rich or above middle class and these are all smaller houses in cheaper working class areas, but just due to a single property per generation getting funneled down at some point I will have multiple properties in the bay area. Charge below market rate since the tax basis is so low? In before guillotine.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Pain of Mind posted:

What should the state do with incidental landlords (e.g. an only child inheriting their parents house, who presumably has a non-landlord job)? Force a sale? Not trying to argue not all landlords, but it seems like a somewhat different situation than someone buying up properties with the intention to earn their income by being a landlord. An obvious partial improvement would be to repeal Prop 13 so more taxes are paid to go toward other services, but I am not sure how to prevent all landlordism without the state forcing sales and then also prohibiting owning more than one property.

Note, my family has been in the bay area for generations with a chain of a single children on one side so I am literally asking this question for future advice. What should I do? At no point has anyone in my family been rich or above middle class and these are all smaller houses in cheaper working class areas, but just due to a single property per generation getting funneled down at some point I will have multiple properties in the bay area. Charge below market rate since the tax basis is so low? In before guillotine.

Homes shouldn't be commodities that are bought and sold. But in reality, you absolutely should sell it hopefully to someone that really needs it as a home and if you aren't hard up for cash consider letting it go for far below market rate. There are non profits that will help you find people and to whom you can sell the home, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

droll posted:

Homes shouldn't be commodities that are bought and sold. But in reality, you absolutely should sell it hopefully to someone that really needs it as a home and if you aren't hard up for cash consider letting it go for far below market rate. There are non profits that will help you find people and to whom you can sell the home, too.

Homes should not be commodities but also few people have $400,000+ laying around to straight up buy a home.

If we're refusing to even allow public housing be built, how are people going to get a home? Renting is bad because landlords. Mortgages are bad because well then your home is owned by the bank. That leaves just buying up the home and property.

But this only applies to single family homes of which there is a limited supply and only so much land to build them on. They are also, environmentally speaking, horribly inefficient and never will be "cheap".

Even Public Housing, even tall apartment blocks, something has to own and maintain the building itself. Preferably that should be the government, but again, they need to be built...somewhere. Also they should be built with easy access to amenities and transit.

Centrist Committee posted:

lol at this time traveler from the past who knows where you can buy $400k homes

Yea its not like I put a + on that number or anything. Indicating that is the absolute minimum you're going to find a home anywhere in CA.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 26, 2021