Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Do boats have breaks and can you cut them?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
some boats aren't looking for anything logical, like money. they can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. some boats just want to block the suez canal.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
hold a makeshift fleamarket on the boat. everything must go!

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
They gonna find the perfect ship to pull it out and bring it there, and be like 'poo poo we need to be on the other side of the boat'

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

storage wars suez canal edition

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Wow, more like the sue-us canal

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
have they tried pushing it? what about pulling?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

why didn't they make the canal or the boat different

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

We need Elon Musk to build an underground canal for submarines and small boats to go under the blockages

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

have they tried pushing it? what about pulling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcrjBoWuZTg

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

has the boat tipped over yet from poorly thought out de-beaching schemes?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The Ever Given might have performance anxiety, very understandable with the whole world watching. We should leave it a day or so alone and see if that clears the issue.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

We need Elon Musk to build an underground canal for submarines and small boats to go under the blockages

how about small, self driving, personal barges for each individual iphone or vape pen or funko or whatever?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Drunkboxer posted:

how about small, self driving, personal barges for each individual iphone or vape pen or funko or whatever?

And don't forget to call the excavator operator a pedophile

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Attach articulated shovels to submarines and dig it out from below!

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

have we tried summoning a kaiju yet, this would be childs play for them

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It'll be hilarious if the ship somehow gets wrecked during a botched extraction attempt.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

They'll finally resign to blow it up but all it'll do is create a giant crater around entirely unharmed boat

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

you would think with all the crazy tech we have supporting the global infrastructure there would be some kind of big pushing machines for moving gigantic things

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
If they have to scrap it in place, is there even a piece of machinery on earth to get the containers off lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

CactusWeasle posted:

If they have to scrap it in place, is there even a piece of machinery on earth to get the containers off lol

Sure, just get some heavy lift cranes to unload each of the thousands of containers, one at a time.....

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My guess is heavy lift helicopters to take the containers off. The ground next to the canal looks, uh, not great to put huge cranes on.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Source4Leko posted:

My guess is heavy lift helicopters to take the containers off. The ground next to the canal looks, uh, not great to put huge cranes on.

The heaviest lifting helicopter can only do 44k lbs, a loaded shipping container can be up to 67k lbs. The heaviest containers are probably on the bottom of the stacks so maybe they could offload a few containers of mypillows off the top via helicopter, idk

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ah so they're super hosed lol. Nice.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

blatman posted:

has the boat tipped over yet from poorly thought out de-beaching schemes?

Just do it the way America deals with beached whales and blow it up with tons of TNT and no experts in the use of TNT. What's the worst that could happen?

Zurtilik posted:

How do people have 10 year old accounts with no AVI? I hate that Stupid Newbie pic so much.

It will forever remain a mystery.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Another boat should clog the Panama for maximum shits and gigs.

Raqqa Flocka Flame
Dec 14, 2017
How feasible would it be to block the Panama Canal since it has like locks and stuff. Could we some how get the Strait of Malacca jammed up while we're at it?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Lmao at the incompetence on display at the suez canal you just need a long enough lever and _maybe_ a ratcheting mechanism

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Raqqa Flocka Flame posted:

How feasible would it be to block the Panama Canal since it has like locks and stuff. Could we some how get the Strait of Malacca jammed up while we're at it?

there was a big to-do about the canal turnover about just blowing open the locks. Noriega had a contingency in place iirc

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Nobody here is talking about blocking any more vital shipping routes mr officer sir

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

CactusWeasle posted:

They gonna find the perfect ship to pull it out and bring it there, and be like 'poo poo we need to be on the other side of the boat'

lol

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
maybe they can slice it in half with a laser beam

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Hearing from my sources that there may be a large boat stuck in the Suez Canal

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Another boat should clog the Panama for maximum shits and gigs.

erie canal supremacy. bring back the mules

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So what coast guard station are you posting from op

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Hatebag posted:

The heaviest lifting helicopter can only do 44k lbs, a loaded shipping container can be up to 67k lbs. The heaviest containers are probably on the bottom of the stacks so maybe they could offload a few containers of mypillows off the top via helicopter, idk

you just unload the heaviest ones to 44k lbs then have them drop off a few empties to put the extra cargo on. bing bong simple

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

SplitSoul posted:

ONE DAY I WOKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAMMED A MASSIVE CONTAINER SHIP INTO THE SUEZ CANAL. ITS JUST-IN-TIME MANUFACTURING AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE GLOBAL TRADE STOPPED MOVING ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, EVER GIVEN. THEY TRIED EVERY MOVE AND THEY TRIED EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN EXASPERATED SOUNDS AS THEY UNEARTHED THE BOW AND EVEN WHEN THE TUGBOATS MESSED UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY CAUSED A 9.6 BILLION DOLLAR A DAY CRISIS IN INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO INVESTORS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE INVESTORS NEED TO DIVERSIFY THEIR PORTFOLIOS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE ROUTES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY WATERWAY LESS LONELY BY BLOCKING ITS TRAFFIC. 3 WEEKS EXCLUDING UNLOADIng

lmbo (laughing my boat off)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
does the Suez Canal not have locks?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

what if they get the boat out and then the next day another boat gets stuck in the same place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

boats within boats...