Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

you'll have to be more specific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

FTR being on the dole

no they're in AEW now

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I assume most people just message via WhatsApp now anyway. If I get an SMS it's probably a scam, a pizza place offering a half price meal deal, or a reminder to give blood. Maybe all three?
WhatsApp is a Facebook dataminer. The cool kids are on Signal now...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

Yeah if anyone I knew wanted to make the switch I'd happily follow. I don't give enough of a poo poo to be the change I want to see though

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pablo Bluth posted:

Yes, I’m on Signal. That’s because I’m cool. And a kid.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Bristol Police Station has protestors rammed outside it for the second time in a week :getin:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rarity posted:

Bristol Police Station has protestors rammed outside it for the second time in a week :getin:

Police already reporting 3 stubbed toes, 1 sprained wrist and 2 officers with nasty headaches

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

therattle posted:

Yes, I’m on Signal. That’s because I’m cool. And a kid.
There's also Telegram if you trust Russians based in Dubai.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i should probably get signal but i cba tbh
i do have telegram though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

smellmycheese posted:

Police already reporting 3 stubbed toes, 1 sprained wrist and 2 officers with nasty headaches

One cop has even had to get a letter from his mummy cause he's got a nippy tummy, when will the violence end? :negative:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 26, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My latest text told me I can get the covid vaccine and linked to the actual NHS website, so that's nice

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm not sure if I worded it badly initially or not, but I don't think it ever was functional as anything other than an investor scam. What's funny is that it might have been functional if they'd held on to the end of the pandemic, but by that point they'd already long ago crashed their share prices and cut & run with the last of the investor money.

Kind of like 'this will be great if people ever need to blend home working with office work' and by the time that one in a million circumstance actually came round they'd already firmly salted the earth behind them.

They'd still face the problem that every customer actually cost them money. What makes dotcom boom 2.0 quite so frustrating is growth first, revenue later when applied to networks or server companies (or railways and canals) at least leaves a legacy of extremely cheap infrastructure for the survivors to exploit in new and interesting ways. The fibre networks built out at ridiculous speed from 99 to 01 by BT, GXN, C&W, NTL and Marconi are still the backbone of the 4 largest ISPs in the country (and 2 of the largest mobile providers), and of course we all know that in space year 2021 we're still running on rails laid down by blokes in frock coats. This lot are just literally throwing money into a furnace; when Uber, WeWork and the rest of the unicorns collapse there will be no legacy apart from some lovely beer taps and a load of knackered Priuses.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rarity posted:

Bristol Police Station has protestors rammed

Pretty sure that's not in the sentencing guidelines.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They'd still face the problem that every customer actually cost them money. What makes dotcom boom 2.0 quite so frustrating is growth first, revenue later when applied to networks or server companies (or railways and canals) at least leaves a legacy of extremely cheap infrastructure for the survivors to exploit in new and interesting ways. The fibre networks built out at ridiculous speed from 99 to 01 by BT, GXN, C&W, NTL and Marconi are still the backbone of the 4 largest ISPs in the country (and 2 of the largest mobile providers), and of course we all know that in space year 2021 we're still running on rails laid down by blokes in frock coats. This lot are just literally throwing money into a furnace; when Uber, WeWork and the rest of the unicorns collapse there will be no legacy apart from some lovely beer taps and a load of knackered Priuses.

Quality second hand office furniture

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's even worse. Uber's business model is to use venture capital to subsidise their fares and exterminate traditional cab companies until they have a monopoly that allows them to price fix. Starbucks' model is to over-occupy a town to the extent that they compete against themselves while they drive out independents, then once they have control they close a few down.
If it goes pop you're not just left with a bunch of scalped investors but with a town that's worse off than before they arrived.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Completely apropos of nothing but back I played Metal Gear Solid as a wee nipper I had no idea this song wasn't Japanese so it's only now in 2021 I realise it's a) definitely not Japanese b) in Gaelic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upIVMjnEm9c

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

On phonechat, has anyone got experience with the fairphone? I like the idea of something that's designed to be user upgradable/ fixable, but I'm not sure how well that actually works in practice and it's a bit pricey to take a gamble on.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1375538103667023872

Sorry, English folks, but I'm doing unilateral independence by going to the border with a shovel and just digging a big ditch to snap us off like a kitkat.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Sorry, English folks, but I'm doing unilateral independence by going to the border with a shovel and just digging a big ditch to snap us off like a kitkat.

take me with you

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

This is fair

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
First brexit, now the suez. The british sex arse industry just can't catch a break

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/1375546368438239239/photo/2

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Only in this country would this not get ratio’d. What are our zoomers doing!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Regarde Aduck posted:

ketamine

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

setting fire to Bristol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Julio Cruz posted:

setting fire to Bristol

Sadly there is a distinct lack of flaming police vans tonight :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StarkingBarfish posted:

First brexit, now the suez. The british sex arse industry just can't catch a break

Part of what's making this funnier to me is they have the sex arse from two angles.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Tesseraction posted:

Part of what's making this funnier to me is they have the sex arse from two angles.

That and their thesaurus doing overtime. 'Lust bums' is fantastic.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Rarity posted:

Sadly there is a distinct lack of flaming police vans tonight :(

I've got to say tonight needs to end peacefully or with a minimum of poo poo from the police. The police are poo poo but this is about stopping a parliamentary bill first - fights with the police are what's coming if we DON'T stop the bill. Sunday was against the bill and the police got stuck in, Tuesday was in defence of travellers and the police REALLY got stuck in, tonight should be thought about not being cowed from opposing the bill by police violence, not an escalation of violence against the local plod.

Starting monday we can protest under an organisational banner which needs to spread nationally and stop the bill from proceeding, fights with Bristol police are a sideshow to that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StarkingBarfish posted:

That and their thesaurus doing overtime. 'Lust bums' is fantastic.

Honestly I can't tell if I want the Sunday Sport to release daily stuff or keep it bottled up to once a week to concentrate the gold.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Fingers crossed, email received this evening, job 'interview' (email said are you still interested, you have first dibs or words to that effect) next week for a job I applied for over a year ago and all recruitment was then frozen. It's only a 10 hr week 9-month temporary contract for admin work £19k pro-rata - but paid work is paid work! WFH mostly but the office is just 10 mins walk away.

It includes 'financial record keeping' though and it's decades since I did that formally (double-entry, trial balance all that stuff). So after a bit of a google, I'm cramming a free Open Learn basic short course on book-keeping, a free (limited time offer) slightly more advanced short course on accounting and bookkeeping (not sure if the whole course is free or if I just get 4 weeks free access to a 16 week course - we'll see!) and yet another free course on Xero (which they use and I've never seen except those daft ads on tv).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly I can't tell if I want the Sunday Sport to release daily stuff or keep it bottled up to once a week to concentrate the gold.

Years ago, I would treat myself to Sunday Sport and/or National Enquirer with my big weekly shop. Guilty pleasures both.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly I think you'll be fine. From what I've learned from my admittedly lesser time working in a global company, you spend all this time getting things right only for some drunk upper management dipshit to gently caress it up and forbid anyone from mentioning it ever again.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'd love to know what the fake poll was!

https://twitter.com/nadinebh_/status/1375500861426831360?s=20

Also saw this in replies:

https://twitter.com/LBwn3/status/1375530495132454915?s=20

NIP not yet registered? I know from TT that they were going for it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's this tweet:

The account that tweeted it got suspended over it lol.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Who the hell is REF?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Who knew the Sex Arse industry was so sensitive to Just In Time delivery?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rarity posted:

Who the hell is REF?

Isn't that Farage's party before he went into flogging financial advice to gammons?

Reform Party whose logo looks almost identical to that of the party formerly known as The Brexit Party.

reformparty DOT uk

(don't want them to see a link from here!)

Richard Tice is leader, formerly of tories and brexit party

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 26, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah REF is the new name of the BREXIT Party.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wait what are they trying to reform? We already Brexited :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rarity posted:

Wait what are they trying to reform? We already Brexited :psyduck:

All the guff on their website is about tax. Low tax, higher growth etc.
No mention of brown people but I didn't explore far!