Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Makes me wonder - celery is good in chili, so does it follow that prunes would be good in chili too?
Chopped prunes are a really great sweetener for a lot of savory dishes. They definitely work well in chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

what in tarnation

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Center beef

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FFT posted:

Sure, you just skip the brown sugar or whatever sweetener

Wait, what? People put sugar in chilli?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Facebook Aunt posted:

my dude, have you heard of cooked onions?

Also, yeah, brown sugar is not uncommon. Might be more of a Texas/South Carolina thing?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Or honey. Something about making spicy foods highly improved with a touch of sugar, I don't really know why.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Ln_0no/status/1234673848479440896

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

pentyne posted:

Or honey. Something about making spicy foods highly improved with a touch of sugar, I don't really know why.
Sugar cuts the burn even faster than fats (e.g. milk)

It's more of a distraction, though, since it only occupies taste receptors rather than binding with the capsaicin like milk does, so in chili it basically slows the capsaicin onset.

stringless has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Mar 27, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bread of Sauron

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

needs more crust

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

"AAAAA!! GARLIC TOAST! aaaaaaa!!"
(Thank you, single year of college Japanese from over a decade ago)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Blood Nightmaster posted:

"AAAAA!! GARLIC TOASToooooooooo!!"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
This is violence. The best part of sicilian pizza is the corner piece because it gets two sides where the cheese crisps up on the sides of the pan.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
stoked to try these new instant noodles i just found.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's a bold rear end claim

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Send me noods, so I may live forever.

or

I sent you my immortal noods, please respond

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Black vinegar is awesome.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
It claims "spicy taste noodles" but is only one chili pepper out of four. Would more spicy mean more immortal or less?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

CannonFodder posted:

It claims "spicy taste noodles" but is only one chili pepper out of four. Would more spicy mean more immortal or less?
Maybe the other three are ghost peppers.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Flipperwaldt posted:

Maybe the other three are ghost peppers.

:bravo:

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Curses! :argh:

(The important thing is that I still got the garlic toast)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/Babble____/status/1375782060804210692

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

For some reason (Probably the screaming) I am reminded of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVExMXVbH9Y
(The gag is translated and explained in the comments)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
:discourse:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I hate it when I have to fix someone else's filing system.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

devouring the Lasagna Obelisk and then hibernating for six months.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Giarndice Vs Giarndice

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

fizzymercury posted:

Chopped prunes are a really great sweetener for a lot of savory dishes. They definitely work well in chili.

My mom makes this hors d'ourves thing that's just a date wrapped in a slice of bacon and baked and it's SO GOOD. Sweet and savory and chewy and crispy.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My mom makes this hors d'ourves thing that's just a date wrapped in a slice of bacon and baked and it's SO GOOD. Sweet and savory and chewy and crispy.

That's Devils on Horseback. Quite the name for bacon and prunes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pentyne posted:

FFT posted:

Sugar cuts the burn even faster than fats (e.g. milk)

It's more of a distraction, though, since it only occupies taste receptors rather than binding with the capsaicin like milk does, so in chili it basically slows the capsaicin onset.

Oh I see the problem. Yeah, my mom's chilli has no capsaicin at all. She uses peppers; green bell peppers. And those packets of seasoning mix, though sometimes they make it "too spicy". If she's feeling festive maybe a drop or two of Tabasco, but now that I think of it I don't think she's done that decades.

Adding sugar to mom's bean and beef stew chilli would be weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think this belongs here in spirit.

https://jollityfarm.tumblr.com/post/646844091033894912/i-went-to-this-sicilian-pizza-joint-yesterday-and

quote:

I went to this Sicilian pizza joint yesterday and it’s literally so underground and such a big hole in the wall that their parking lot is wrecked, their front door is bolted up, and you have to enter through the kitchen and walk to the front end past all the ovens and down a narrow rear end hallway and then all the tables and chairs are fold ups and the ceiling is all saggy and it looks awful but gently caress me it’s been there for 70+ years and makes the best drat thin crust pizza in the city and no one hardly knows about it because it looks like an abandoned building

quote:

it’s true, i grew up in nj and you could tell how good the food was by how many insurance frauds the place did. one of my favorite pizza places in my home town staged an arson to collect on insurance money, the owner got caught tho

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Looks uh...looks creamy.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

gleebster posted:

Giarndice Vs Giarndice

Jaundice v. Jaundice

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I guess there's some sort of religious significance to what gets cooked on Seder, but all the posts I've been seeing this weekend have been very unappealing.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Lookin' good, Lizzie.

Male Tears posted:

I guess there's some sort of religious significance to what gets cooked on Seder, but all the posts I've been seeing this weekend have been very unappealing.

With enough Manischewitz, anything is palatable. Including Manischewitz.

angerbot has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Male Tears posted:

Isn't that matzo ball soup? I remember not being able to comprehend how it could be tasty, until I cooked it for Seder with my ex-girlfriend once. It's legit pretty drat awesome.