Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Eat My Fuc posted:

There’s a 53 part Chris Chan Doc on youtube that’s very well made. Both Christine and her trolls are horrible people.

(Kelsey Grammer falling off of a stage) "OH GOOD LORD!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i would sooner jump off a cliff than watch the chris chan documentary

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Eat My Fuc posted:

There’s a 53 part Chris Chan Doc on youtube that’s very well made. Both Christine and her trolls are horrible people.

Calculating the waste of life that went into that project is making me feel a little sad.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've been having some thoughts recently after seeing the New Age to QAnon radicalization pipeline, where the previously New Age beliefs syncretize with talk about God and divinity. I mean it's not that different from Evangelicals talking about Angels and Demons. But I suspect this new pipeline is becoming prominent because conventional Christianity is becoming more and more irrelevant, people are leaving, fewer people want to join, because Evangelicals are complete freaks who people are sick of. But these new recruits see how marginalized Evangelicals are becoming, how out of the mainstream they are, and this drives them to join. Because New Ageism is partly defined by opposition against the stultifying mainstream.

Now, in the long run, the Evangelical movement is still losing members and becoming steadily irrelevant, and will make up for it by embracing fascism. But on the micro leve, it means that purporting to have New Age beliefs will in no way immunize you from radicalization into Evangelical Christian fascism.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Eat My Fuc posted:

Ive spotted that in recommendations isnt that like an hour per part though

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Phobophilia posted:

I've been having some thoughts recently after seeing the New Age to QAnon radicalization pipeline, where the previously New Age beliefs syncretize with talk about God and divinity. I mean it's not that different from Evangelicals talking about Angels and Demons. But I suspect this new pipeline is becoming prominent because conventional Christianity is becoming more and more irrelevant, people are leaving, fewer people want to join, because Evangelicals are complete freaks who people are sick of. But these new recruits see how marginalized Evangelicals are becoming, how out of the mainstream they are, and this drives them to join. Because New Ageism is partly defined by opposition against the stultifying mainstream.

Now, in the long run, the Evangelical movement is still losing members and becoming steadily irrelevant, and will make up for it by embracing fascism. But on the micro leve, it means that purporting to have New Age beliefs will in no way immunize you from radicalization into Evangelical Christian fascism.

The recent episode of QAnon Anonymous about the Naked Lingerie fashion brand's founders going completely New Age Pilled is EXACTLY about this. It's a wild and depressing story.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
New age/hippy stuff has been dumping out evangelicals and serious born agains basically since day one. A lot of that is cuz new agers/hippies very often came from conservative backgrounds and at a certain point would find themselves drawn back to what was familiar. Another big chunk of that was people just eating a fuckton of acid, seeing god, and then deciding that was a confirming experience of christian theology and then rejoining christian life. tbf the latter is kind of a variation on the former where the entire extant framework they have for some ineffable experience is christian, so that's the form it takes.

poo poo is super weird, but it's been going on for ages. The hippie far left conspiracy types have also ended up in some really weird ideological places and alex jones in particular basically walked a whole bunch of them into supporting all the insane poo poo he stands for.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 27, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Can you back this part up?

Because to my individual POV it sure seems like Christian evangelism has become so strong that they can “throw off the cloak of shadows” and display themselves as they truly are.

It doesn’t seem like a desperation play before subsiding into oblivion.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Murgos posted:

Because to my individual POV it sure seems like Christian evangelism has become so strong that they can “throw off the cloak of shadows” and display themselves as they truly are.

I think it's more like the mainstream used to be evangelical Christianity and people no longer consider that mainstream, so they are becoming desperate and becoming more aggressive in their crazy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murgos posted:

In the 80s they had some control over mainstream culture, but now they’re mostly relegated to their own parallel set of cultural institutions that they run as a refuge from the secular world—they have their own media, universities, businesses, bathing-suit styles etc.

This is separate from the degree to which they hold institutional power in the US, which is out of proportion with their numbers and down to how they’ve infiltrated government positions as a result of some of them winning elections in the regions where they congregate.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's not weird, there has always been a strong reactionary faction in New Age and pagan stuff. Purity, strength, back to nature stuff can be radical and anticapitalist, but it can also be traditionalist antiliberal blood-and-soil High Elders Of Zion conspiracy nonsense.

Hitler and his inner circle had a whole bunch of kooky-rear end New Age beliefs, we all know this. I don't think Q is a pipeline to turn left-wing anti-war hippies into bible-thumpers, I think it's more that evangelical Christianity has stopped supporting the "compassionate conservative" establishment of the Bush years and has gone full McVeigh style crazy conspiracy, and that appeals to the types whose paganism was always reactionary and cryptofascist

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

VitalSigns posted:

It's not weird, there has always been a strong reactionary faction in New Age and pagan stuff. Purity, strength, back to nature stuff can be radical and anticapitalist, but it can also be traditionalist antiliberal blood-and-soil High Elders Of Zion conspiracy nonsense.

Hitler and his inner circle had a whole bunch of kooky-rear end New Age beliefs, we all know this. I don't think Q is a pipeline to turn left-wing anti-war hippies into bible-thumpers, I think it's more that evangelical Christianity has stopped supporting the "compassionate conservative" establishment of the Bush years and has gone full McVeigh style crazy conspiracy, and that appeals to the types whose paganism was always reactionary and cryptofascist

Also most of New Age practices were made up by bored European aristocrats in the 16 and 17th centuries, when they didn't just steal from Hinduism.

A while ago I came across this absolutely crazy New Age channel called Spirit Science that rips off Extra Credit's animation style to gish gallop through the most wild poo poo imaginable. But a huge undercurrent in all it's videos is that it dresses up some really conservative viewpoints in flowery language, like constantly going on about "male and female energies of the universe" and "Jews are literally space aliens".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Another big chunk of that was people just eating a fuckton of acid, seeing god, and then deciding that was a confirming experience of christian theology and then rejoining christian life.

That's weird. I brushed up against God a few times while I was tripping but, if anything, it reaffirmed the idea that the christian theology had it all wrong and was full of poo poo. I can't imagine peaking and coming to the realization that everything in the bible totally checked out

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I gotta say, as a pagan myself it's an easy trap to fall into and believe that simply being anti-christian makes you inherently leftist and therefore Good For Humanity, so you don't have to think about how some rhetoric you heard passed around is anti-semitic/racist/homophobic/sexist. I want to say it's some kind of infinite wisdom on my end that I only hang out with good people who don't use "Tradition" as an excuse to exclude and oppress others, but these days I'm starting to think that I may just be lucky enough that I didn't fall in with that crowd

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
In my experience neopaganism/new age/crystal whateverthefuck is an extremely white, extremely middle class thing. Prime recruitment ground for Q-poo poo.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Herstory Begins Now posted:

New age/hippy stuff has been dumping out evangelicals and serious born agains basically since day one. A lot of that is cuz new agers/hippies very often came from conservative backgrounds and at a certain point would find themselves drawn back to what was familiar. Another big chunk of that was people just eating a fuckton of acid, seeing god, and then deciding that was a confirming experience of christian theology and then rejoining christian life. tbf the latter is kind of a variation on the former where the entire extant framework they have for some ineffable experience is christian, so that's the form it takes.

poo poo is super weird, but it's been going on for ages. The hippie far left conspiracy types have also ended up in some really weird ideological places and alex jones in particular basically walked a whole bunch of them into supporting all the insane poo poo he stands for.

Reminds me of how a Nordic expert or something talked about how a lot of racist Odin worshippers are basically just relabeling their Christian religious practices rather than doing anything particularly viking.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BiggerBoat posted:

That's weird. I brushed up against God a few times while I was tripping but, if anything, it reaffirmed the idea that the christian theology had it all wrong and was full of poo poo. I can't imagine peaking and coming to the realization that everything in the bible totally checked out

I do think it's pretty weird, but a lot of people find psychedelics essentially reaffirming, as you say, which basically just comes down to which way they're already leaning.

Argas posted:

Reminds me of how a Nordic expert or something talked about how a lot of racist Odin worshippers are basically just relabeling their Christian religious practices rather than doing anything particularly viking.

A huge amount of the especially anglo neo-pagan/new age came directly out of the 19th century popular fascination with reinventing druidic culture basically out of whole cloth in Britain and with nature-ist and spiritualist mega-fads in the US, which were both drawing on the british fads while also creating their own fake-ancient traditions, also out of whole cloth. Afaik the scandinavian neo-pagan stuff is largely even more recent and in the last 50 years has bounced off of north american and european new age and far right several times. Ironically I think a bunch of the scandinavian neopagan stuff has actually legitimized itself a bunch specifically in its opposition to being associated with the american and european far right

That's not to say all pagan or neo pagan stuff is horseshit, just the interest in pretty much all of it is very recent and is much more the product of what people in the 19th or early 20th century thought was cool than actually unbroken lines of tradition or oral culture.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 28, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
AFAIK, literally everything we know about druidism comes from the Romans (because the druids never wrote anything down), and the Romans were explicitly trying to fit it into their own religion by saying stuff like "they worship as aspect of Jupiter because blah blah blah."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Argas posted:

I mean, what even is modern Evangelical religious practice? Because it sure isn't Christianity.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Phobophilia posted:

I mean, what even is modern Evangelical religious practice? Because it sure isn't Christianity.

IIRC it was in a general basic way ie you don't loving pray to Odin or the rest of them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Clarste posted:

AFAIK, literally everything we know about druidism comes from the Romans (because the druids never wrote anything down), and the Romans were explicitly trying to fit it into their own religion by saying stuff like "they worship as aspect of Jupiter because blah blah blah."

If you want to understand truly why you cant find much writing, it's because the Romans destroyed everything in the same way Europeans colonized the Americas.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

If you want to understand truly why you cant find much writing, it's because the Romans destroyed everything in the same way Europeans colonized the Americas.

And to illustrate your claim the Romans destroyed everything, you use a Celtic-language calendar from 2nd century Roman Gaul?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Murgos posted:

I'll count them out the day they're unable to keep Satanic Panic victims in prison on spectral evidence.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
HBO Q doc is sooo loving bad. Its an embarrassment to the medium. At least some higher up at HBO knew this and wisely decided to poo poo out 2 episode a week.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Data Suggests QAnon Followers More Likely To Be Mentally Ill :parrot:

quote:

QAnon is often viewed as a group associated with conspiracy, terrorism and radical action, such as the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection. But radical extremism and terror may not be the real concern from this group.

QAnon followers, who may number in the millions, appear to believe a baseless and debunked conspiracy theory claiming that a satanic cabal of pedophiles and cannibals controls world governments and the media. They also subscribe to many other outlandish and improbable ideas, such as that the Earth is flat, that the coronavirus is a biological weapon used to gain control over the world’s population, that Bill Gates is somehow trying to use coronavirus vaccinations to implant microchips into people and more.

As a social psychologist, I normally study terrorists. During research for “Pastels and Pedophiles: Inside the Mind of QAnon,” a forthcoming book I co-authored with security scholar Mia Bloom, I noticed that QAnon followers are different from the radicals I usually study in one key way: They are far more likely to have serious mental illnesses.

I found that many QAnon followers revealed – in their own words on social media or in interviews – a wide range of mental health diagnoses, including bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety and addiction.

In court records of QAnon followers arrested in the wake of the Capitol insurrection, 68% reported they had received mental health diagnoses. The conditions they revealed included post-traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder, paranoid schizophrenia and Munchausen syndrome by proxy – a psychological disorder that causes one to invent or inflict health problems on a loved one, usually a child, in order to gain attention for themselves. By contrast, 19% of all Americans have a mental health diagnosis.

Among QAnon insurrectionists with criminal records, 44% experienced a serious psychological trauma that preceded their radicalization, such as physical or sexual abuse of them or of their children.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I mean, it's good to have data but NO poo poo

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Reagan's legacy continues to haunt us.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Despera posted:

HBO Q doc is sooo loving bad. Its an embarrassment to the medium. At least some higher up at HBO knew this and wisely decided to poo poo out 2 episode a week.

I watched the first episode yesterday and it was... ok? If I went in not knowing anything about what Q was or wasn't familiar with internet culture in general, I don't think it would have been very informative. I think it's like 15 minutes in before it even explains what an 'anon' is.

It was too middle-of-the-road for me, but that tends to be HBO's approach to docuseries where the intro is 'neutral' before it begins arguing for its viewpoint. I did find the part explaining Q's move from 4chan to QBTS to whatever the next board was interesting since I didn't know those details.

I'm willing to give another episode a try, but if it tries to paint repulsive people like Brennan as sympathetic, then I'm done.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Euphoriaphone posted:

I watched the first episode yesterday and it was... ok? If I went in not knowing anything about what Q was or wasn't familiar with internet culture in general, I don't think it would have been very informative. I think it's like 15 minutes in before it even explains what an 'anon' is.

It was too middle-of-the-road for me, but that tends to be HBO's approach to docuseries where the intro is 'neutral' before it begins arguing for its viewpoint. I did find the part explaining Q's move from 4chan to QBTS to whatever the next board was interesting since I didn't know those details.

I'm willing to give another episode a try, but if it tries to paint repulsive people like Brennan as sympathetic, then I'm done.

Off the top of my head. So Q.2 comes out and everybody believes hes a fake. Until Watkins JR says "this is the real Q". So our idiot documentor meets Watkins Jr. and proceeds to lob softball after softball while letting the watkins pontificate all the while having a poo poo idiot grin about how stupid this guy is. Instead of asking Watkins Jr. "how he knew this new Q was the real Q." Seems important if the whole documentary is for finding out who Q is.

Also the watkins get bored enough and give the name of Steve Bannon as Q. They give evidence like a photo Q took was 30 min from Bannons house and how the IP Q is using is steve bannons house. BUT later in the documentary our narrator learns that Bannon thinks Flynn is an idiot and Q adores Flynn. So he tosses out that theory (even though Bannon forced to keep the narrative being the second Q). All the while mentioning how Bannon's thinks Q's base (incels) are morons.

Then most egregiously he says Q is too smart to use Steve Bannon's IP although earlier in the hour the narrator literally says how computer illiterate Q is and giving the example of his poo poo tier password (MATLOCK) being hacked.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like after watching the current episodes that they really wanted to just do a documentary on the Watkins family and 8chan. The problem was that 8chan melted down and destroyed itself while he was making it and both Jim and Ron Watkins are probably looking at serious legal and financial consequences, they made it about Q. I also got anxious during the scenes with Ron and the documentarian on the mountain because it was giving me serious murder, threat vibes.

I think it's fairly obvious that the second incarnation of Q is Jim and Ron Watkins. The fact that "Q" hasn't made a drop since December and the post disavowing Q and saying people should respect the election by the Watkins family is kind of the topper to that theory.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im loving wheezing
these people can't be real

for context: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56578544

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

often, when the lord needs a messenger, he sends a child

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Ouch Flynn endorsed Linn and Trump endorsed his opponent

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1376972380514488331

Basically Q Hero #1 turning on Q hero #2 #3

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Despera posted:

Ouch Flynn endorsed Linn and Trump endorsed his opponent

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1376972380514488331

Basically Q Hero #1 turning on Q hero #2 #3

Its all part of the plan you doofus, :words:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Clearly the Deep State knew that when Trump endorsed a candidate, that they would have to cheat to make sure his opponent won to thwart him. But with Lin Wood running, now both the candidates are Trump approved, and the Deep State is powerless!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Do people honestly think that Trump has basically zero idea what the gently caress Q is/was like he said or do you think he knew perfectly well but didn't want to go down that road or amplify them too much?

I honestly think -- given his complete lack of intellectual curiosity about loving anything -- that he had very little idea who they were and what they thought and simply understood in a basic sense that they love and supported him. Since that's usually all he loving cares about anyway.

I mean, all you have to do to get a job with him is say he's the smartest person ever and agree with all his decisions. All you have to do to get fired or poo poo upon called a "loser" is so much as scratch your head and mutter "hmmm...I dunno about that" under your breath.

I kind of believe Trump when he said he didn't know that much about Q-Anon

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Do people honestly think that Trump has basically zero idea what the gently caress Q is/was like he said or do you think he knew perfectly well but didn't want to go down that road or amplify them too much?

I honestly think -- given his complete lack of intellectual curiosity about loving anything -- that he had very little idea who they were and what they thought and simply understood in a basic sense that they love and supported him. Since that's usually all he loving cares about anyway.

I mean, all you have to do to get a job with him is say he's the smartest person ever and agree with all his decisions. All you have to do to get fired or poo poo upon called a "loser" is so much as scratch your head and mutter "hmmm...I dunno about that" under your breath.

I'm sure people tried multiple times to explain it to him, I doubt he remembered poo poo though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think a bunch of people tried to explain but I've no idea what the executive summaries sounded like.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

i think trump was aware of qanon and knew the right catchphrases to say to get applause from q adherents but beyond that didn't give a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i think trump was aware of qanon and knew the right catchphrases to say to get applause from q adherents but beyond that didn't give a poo poo

Trump learned what to say to get this group to applaud him. His favorite people are people who say nice things about him, which QAnon does, and he processes their actual beliefs no further past that point.