Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

it's the dumbest poo poo which i'm certain was a solved problem prior to all this electron poo poo which has unsolved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the ms teams app on android has the worst notification handling i've ever seen. you can have the app open to a specific conversation and you'll STILL get a notification every single time someone messages in chat it's obscene. like surely they'd go "ok the dude already has the app open so they're seeing the messages so we should suppress notifications" but apparently that's too hard/they're too dumb/anroid

its not like its much better on a desktop. windows client will steal focus with every notification and the OSX one uses some bespoke notifications instead of the default OS ones so you can't swipe to dismiss them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they use the same custom notification banners on both oses so it can be bad on both.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it’s really bad.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

it's the dumbest poo poo which i'm certain was a solved problem prior to all this electron poo poo which has unsolved it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

they use the same custom notification banners on both oses so it can be bad on both.

yeah but apple keeps window focus stealing bullshit in check while it remains the wild west over on the windows side of the house

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
just had a fun time in a meeting today when I was sharing my screen and a Teams notification came up. I though I would discreetly set Teams to DND via the systray but if you right-click on it the whole window comes to the front so everyone got a nice screen-full of coworker meme&gif spam.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah but apple keeps window focus stealing bullshit in check while it remains the wild west over on the windows side of the house

they dont steal focus in windows, but they do cover poo poo up constantly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

windows focus in windows is such an incredible poo poo show it almost defies description.

also blinking cursors in non-active text input fields

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

they dont steal focus in windows, but they do cover poo poo up constantly

I wish that was true but I don't want to think about the number of times where someone messages me in teams and it steals cursor focus and I start typing in a completely different application. even more annoying if someone posts something off-hours or on the weekend and I forget to quit teams, minimizes out of any fullscreen app on every.single.notification

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

notofications work fine on macOS. god bless

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

oh except for outlook calendar reminders which are really annoying

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I wish that was true but I don't want to think about the number of times where someone messages me in teams and it steals cursor focus and I start typing in a completely different application. even more annoying if someone posts something off-hours or on the weekend and I forget to quit teams, minimizes out of any fullscreen app on every.single.notification

i havent had that happen

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yeah because no one ever messages you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no it just litterrally doesnt do that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
or it does and you've been using windows 10 for long enough to know that behaviour isn't even remotely consistent between apps and versions

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I like how sticky notes in w10 flash orange on every fresh boot and I have to click on every single one to make them stop (:

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

its not like its much better on a desktop. windows client will steal focus with every notification and the OSX one uses some bespoke notifications instead of the default OS ones so you can't swipe to dismiss them
IIRC, it does both on Linux: steal your focus and use a non-standard notification system.

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

Shaggar posted:

no it just litterrally doesnt do that.

it just did this for me yesterday, when I was in the middle of typing my VPN login.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

infernal machines posted:

also blinking cursors in non-active text input fields

yeah, i can just about handle the lack of contrast between active and inactive windows, but this is just taking the piss

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it makes me incredibly mad. there's exactly one reason to use a blinking cursor in a text field and it's to indicate that it's an active field that will receive input when you type. if it's not, don't animate a loving cursor in it you goddamn hacks. there's 40 loving years of UI conventions behind this. don't just start doing whatever because you feel like it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lot of renewed noise about fuchsia. prepare for google to go from android pretty much being the smartphone windows 95 to a proper google product where they randomly eol half the core features without warning.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

got a cute lil popup in my gmail saying that i can no longer call through g chat and i have to use google voice. problem is they already trained me off gchat since they keep trying to push new chat apps and im super not going to keep up with that. an integrated chat client in an email client is such a great feature and its loving hilarious how much they've hosed it up

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lot of renewed noise about fuchsia. prepare for google to go from android pretty much being the smartphone windows 95 to a proper google product where they randomly eol half the core features without warning.

even if the playground for senior engineers actually ships something I think they're still a very long ways away from being able to replace android.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DuckConference posted:

even if the playground for senior engineers actually ships something I think they're still a very long ways away from being able to replace android.

see what you're doing here is judging things based on what a sensible company would do.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
fuchsia will never ship anything, it is a comedy os.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

google copland lmao

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Pile Of Garbage posted:

as a former lync/skype for business user, it was never solved, it always sucked.

especially on mobile.

The Management posted:

it'll ship on some google hardware. no oem will want to touch it. google will kill it after six months.

flutter will last longer than fuchsia.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

what oses aren't

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

what oses aren't

TempleOS, op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

what oses aren't

all oses are poses, this much is known. and while most of them are comical, fuchsia is in the category of oses that exist solely to provide comedy (such as hurd) and have no practical application.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

all oses are poses, this much is known. and while most of them are comical, fuchsia is in the category of oses that exist solely to provide comedy (such as hurd) and have no practical application.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lol hurd ain’t ‘hurd’ that in a minute

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

teams notifications are terrible across the board. on windows you can either have it harrass you with banners or not get any notification at all

It's the first Windows program in my entire life where you can't change the default notification sounds. You can't even replace the WAV files or whatever, because they're doing some bullshit now where there aren't even any

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

It's the first Windows program in my entire life where you can't change the default notification sounds. You can't even replace the WAV files or whatever, because they're doing some bullshit now where there aren't even any

I thought Cisco Jabber was bad for having a terrible default sound and 2 almost-as-bad alternates!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

~Coxy posted:

I thought Cisco Jabber was bad for having a terrible default sound and 2 almost-as-bad alternates!

at least on windows you can add your own wav and really cool it up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the project to bring you android, but buggier and with completely broken app support continues

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

doesn’t support the original Motorola droid, pass

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

google silicon, or how the company that struggles not to cancel products in months will provide longer term hardware support than qualcomm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbf it'd be hard even for google to do worse than qualcomm.