Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On the subject of scripted events in missions (having just finished binging the series), San Andreas was the part where it started to get bad but GTA IV is the nadir. You've likely noticed a ton of missions where player vehicles and weapons are nerfed (like the Micro SMG in "Just Business" or the speed of the dirt bike when following the drat train CJ), and how vehicles like Freddy's bike are driving like they're on a rail, accelerating faster and turning way too exactly. As far as I know, killing Freddy before he reaches the basketball court is completely impossible.

GTA IV ends up making drat near every car chase into these sequences, because the devs have made full scripted chases with every vehicle in traffic behaving a certain way and obstacles that only exist in that chase and they want you to see every goddamn second of them. More often than not, the car you're pursuing is completely on a rail and invincible for either the entire chase (at which point they crash and you go on foot) or once they pass an invisible line where they switch to normal vehicle physics and you're meant to actually kill them.

GTA V is similarly highly scripted, but they finally worked out ways to deal with it other than chasing invincible cars that defy physics and smoothed out the animations and motion capture so there's more interesting things happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I have never played GTA3, so Catalina (and Claude) were just a completely random addition to me. I chalked it up to them just really wanting to include her character because they thought it would be funny to have CJ stuck somewhere in the boonies, penniless (allegedly) and stuck with a lunatic who could kill and/or castrate him at any second, and without a way to tell her to gently caress off because he needs a) the money b) her cousin's goodwill.

Honestly, it is kinda funny. But it doesn't counteract just HOW grating she is, and how terrible her missions are.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Simply Simon posted:

CJ stuck somewhere in the boonies, penniless (allegedly)
Honestly, unless you spend a lot of time doing side stuff in Los Santos, CJ will actually be pretty much penniless once he gets to the countryside. There is only a handful of story missions in Los Santos that pay anything at all, so when C.R.A.S.H. takes all your weapons in Angel Pine, you'll probably end up spending your money from Los Santos on a gun and some bullets.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Somewhere in an alternate reality-

Catalina- “I’m the toughest bitch in the world! No man better gently caress with me! Not even you, Carl!”

CJ- “You know what? Cesar’s good will ain’t worth this!” [blows Catalina away before she can retaliate]

[CJ then gets rid of the body and continues his adventures. Later he meets Cesar and Kendl in Angel Pine.]

Cesar- “So what’d you think of my cousin?”

CJ- “Um, well...”

Kendl- “You killed her, didn’t you? Don’t lie to me, Carl! You never could! It’s ok, I understand. I warned that girl the one time we met, you keep acting like such a freak, sooner or later...”

Cesar- “Whoa, you really killed Catalina?”

CJ- “Um, yes?”

Cesar- [pauses, then claps CJ on the shoulder] “You’ve done my family a huge favor, cabron. Thank you.”

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Feels like you could've just gone with an alternate reality where CJ shows a little bit more spine when dealing with her.

Does remind me how incredibly uneven the pairing is written as CJ does flip flop personality flip flops a bit from cutscene to cutscene.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Claude utters words for the first time and it is....

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Considering how Catalina is written in this game and how they really didn't improve to much for Michael's wife in GTA5, i shudder to think what the rumored female protagonist in 6 would be like....

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
My hope-

[In another alternate reality, a stoic and cool as ice Catalina glances in the general direction of a certain ship blocking the Suez Canal. Said ship immediately starts moving.]

Take Dafne Keen’s wisdom on playing X-23. Less is more. Sure the female GTA protagonist should have a voice, but she doesn’t need to be talking constantly either. They should take a step back and leave a lot of her character up to the player IMO.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

But how else are they going to make poignant remarks about today's society? (Read that with as much sarcasm as you can muster.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I liked catalina's presentation in this game a lot in that first mission where she was just a crazy lady who wanted to rob some people and behaved pretty much exactly as sociopathic as the typical player. And then it took a 180 degree swerve into whatever the hell all that romance was and her characterization flew off a cliff.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 15: Supply Lines

Let's just get this out of the way before we do anything else in San Fierro. If you've played the game, you can probably hear that thumbnail.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I really enjoyed these missions, but yeah the first is too long and the second too harsh on the fuel.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I remember using the Gameshark slow time code to help on Supply Lines. It slowed fuel consumption and plane movement, enabling a lot more precision.

That said...

Fudge Zero!

Fudge Berkley!

Fudge Supply Lines!

That is all.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yes, Nerds as written by Rockstar.
Oof.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zero does not initiate violence. Except for those five couriers he had CJ murder, with a gun.

Like when the stakes are high enough for that why not have actual gang lieutenant Carl Johnson just shoot the rival guy, you're clearly not above killing people.

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
These are the missions that made me quit San Andreas back in the day

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

All of that for 5K a day when it took you 30k just to buy the stupid place.

I think there is only 1 passive business money making thing that actually pays for itself rather quickly but that's closer to the end game so i won't say.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 29, 2021

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I probably should also point out that I was extremely lucky to complete the unpatched version of Supply Lines in only six attempts here and only run out of fuel once. That's already way more Zero than anyone wants to deal with, but I spent many hours and countless attempts trying to get through this godawful mission back in the day. The fixed version is so much easier that it's not even funny, although it's still pretty easy to get shot to bits by the couriers while you're trying to maneuver the RC Baron into position.

Playing through it now, even though I knew I could do it because I had managed it in the past, I definitely had a couple of "holy poo poo, this is actually loving impossible" moments.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 29, 2021

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

GrayDorian posted:

These are the missions that made me quit San Andreas back in the day

Though thankfully, his missions are optional for anything but getting 100%. It's a shame how awful mission 2 is - I actually liked the third one.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That last mission is one of my favorites. I think you can drop a bomb on his helicopter to kill it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Shame Boy posted:

All of that for 5K a day when it took you 30k just to buy the stupid place.

I think there is only 1 passive business money making thing that actually pays for itself rather quickly but that's closer to the end game so i won't say.

You do get 15K from the missions, so it is only 3 days worth of revenue to break even. Problem is that you have to actually collect it regularly.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I forget, does San Andreas make you run around to every corner of the map to collect stuff from businesses you own, or is it actually kind in that regard?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Vice City Stories lets you collect everything at once. Saint's Row 2 does the same.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

I forget, does San Andreas make you run around to every corner of the map to collect stuff from businesses you own, or is it actually kind in that regard?

I believe you have to do it all yourself.

On the subject of forcing missions to be at certain times of day, that won't happen until GTA V. Grand Theft Auto has a history of being shockingly primitive in many areas despite their constant critical acclaim; San Andreas was released in 2004, making it contemporary to games like Half-Life 2 and the original Star Wars Battlefront, but still has no save system except for physically going to a safehouse and walking into an icon, no mid-mission checkpoints (only a handful of missions let you skip the initial drive to the location if you fail them once), and a really crude on-foot control system. GTA IV would be the first game to introduce autosaves and the ability to just restart a mission from your phone instead of having to drive all the way back to the icon, and it would still take until V to get actual checkpoints.

IV also suffers from the problem of the on-foot shooting accidentally going the other way into being too easy on consoles. The lock-on system works way better, but you can precisely places the actual aim point on exactly what you want to shoot while still in cover. It then just becomes a matter of popping out and shooting the enemy once in the head, over and over.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

GTA IV would be the first game to introduce autosaves and the ability to just restart a mission from your phone instead of having to drive all the way back to the icon
Of course, the mission restart option in IV is often completely worthless. Sure, you skip the drive to the icon, but any ammo and body armor (and health, unless you died and respawned with full health at the hospital) you lost on your failed run is gone so you're at a disadvantage when you restart. Reloading is usually the better option.

The mission restart option can be helpful in some of the scripted chase missions, at least. The more times you fail, the fewer scripted gotcha moments the game will throw at you.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 29, 2021

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I do think the Zero missions are meant to serve one important purpose: the game later has mandatory aircraft missions, so they're intended to give you practice with flying on a small scale that won't kill you if you fail.

Too bad the PS2 never fixes the popping-in models though! I'm sure that won't become a major problem in the future!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 16: CJ the Tourist

Today, we take some time off from the story and go sightseeing in San Fierro. We go skydiving, snap some photos, pull off sick jumps on a superbike, do some accidental trespassing and nearly get shot, and much more!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It looked like a white car was slamming into your car until they both blew up.

They added a time of day to your clock. Does that mean the time of day is not the only factor when doing certain missions?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 17: Battle Construction Vehicles

Okay, let's smash up the construction site to teach these jerks a lesson. Just wreck some stuff and play bumper cars with other bulldozers, that'll be fun and get the message across and... wait CJ what are you doing to that foreman, CJ noooo :gonk:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Poor construction guy....

Maybe CJ needs to work out some of his anger issues in a demolition derby (hope you show that off soon).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Maybe CJ needs to work out some of his anger issues in a demolition derby (hope you show that off soon).
Episode 19. To be honest, this game's version of Bloodring tends to cause anger issues rather than help with them.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I know. Believe me, I know. LOL.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The Hippy Shopper is a play on Happy Shopper - a chain of stores in the UK.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

When you were referring to "the most infamous mission in the game", I thought this was the one you were talking about. This is Trevor Phillips levels of disproportionate response.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I heard stories about the game being planned on the scale of what GTAV would become, but had to be scaled down so the console wouldn't burst into flames. These last couple of videos show off rushed or incomplete content. Remember how well made the Los Santos missions were for the most part?

The mission in Bully where you dunked on a guy in a port-a-john was better made. This was terrible in every way and no dog driving a vehicle either.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This game has so much incomplete content that there's a mission later on that's had 100% of its content cut except for a portion of the opening cutscene.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 18: Back to School

Advanced Driving School. That combination of words suggests they're teaching you fancy driving tricks, but you actually have to figure it all out yourself through trial and error - not to mention numerous accidents. It's like being hired as a stuntman on a Fast & Furious movie without any training or access to the script.

Speaking of stuntmen who aren't allowed to read the script, I've 100%'d Reflections' vehicle-based masochism simulator Stuntman on the PS2. Compared to that, these tests are nothing.

YouTube may or may not finish processing the 4K render in a few hours.

edit: The total number of attempts on the final test might be a bit misleading, as most of those were either me experimenting with routes or immediately failing because I didn't press X in time. I had about three serious runs.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 8, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congratulations on passing the driving school.

One thing that has always made me smile in GTA is how you can casually walk into a business with a gun in your hand and conduct normal transactions. Later games had to fix that, just like real life. :(

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Last time I played I had several City Slicking runs that were drat near perfect until a random bit of traffic slammed into me near the train tracks or the school. I was less than pleased when that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That sure is a Rockstar way of getting a girlfriend.