Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BlueBayou posted:

Relevant article on the last time Disney (and Universal) had IP-free rides in the parks (in the states)

https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20210116/29557/ip-free-can-you-think-most-recent-original-ride-each-disney-and-universal

Internationally, Shanghai has IP-free rides. So its not like Disney has refused to build IP-free rides... but yeah

The article tracks with what I was saying, though. Mid 00's was basically the cutoff of non-IP attractions, for WDW anyway. The non US park have seem new ones pretty recently.

Also the argument that "there weren't ever that many non IP e-tickets" - well, there weren't ever that many E tickets in general. A handful per park is what it has always been.

Craptacular! posted:

Between California Adventure’s opening slate, Dino-Rama, and the 90s Tomorrowland’s, no-IP hasn’t been a string of hits either. Look at how much more people enjoyed Paradise Pier after the replaced the obnoxious self-referential Los Angeles go getter poo poo with 1940s characters.

Fewer Whoopi Goldberg appearances per mile, as well.

And people enjoy Paradise Pier a lot less now that they lazily slapped Pixar branding all over it. It went from tacky, to classy, and back to tacky. That's really my main issue. If they're going to do it, they should put it where it fits, not shove it anywhere just because they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

alg posted:

yeah we're the same. we're going for the 50th, we're going to be fully vaccinated within a month, and watching the way Florida is like the third world with COVID, I am worried. I think I might rather die of COVID than listen to my wife say we didn't go to Disney this year though lol

Florida's COVID numbers are average for the US when looking at "per 100,000" data. People are quick to jump to California, Texas, and Florida's total number of cases/deaths being the highest, but of course they're going to be the highest - they are the three most populated states. You can argue that, perhaps, they are fudging the numbers, but also our hospitals have not been slammed either.

That said, you guys are worried about Disney's COVID procedures, DO NOT, under any circumstances, go to Universal or any other theme park.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Florida's COVID numbers are average for the US when looking at "per 100,000" data. People are quick to jump to California, Texas, and Florida's total number of cases/deaths being the highest, but of course they're going to be the highest - they are the three most populated states. You can argue that, perhaps, they are fudging the numbers, but also our hospitals have not been slammed either.

That said, you guys are worried about Disney's COVID procedures, DO NOT, under any circumstances, go to Universal or any other theme park.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/transmission/variant-cases.html

we're not gonna go to Universal for sure. hoping by october, things are better =/

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fun Spot is run by idiot chuds and is apparently one of the only amusement parks in the US that celebrates not requiring masks. As expected, trump cultists and Covid-spreaders are huge fans of it on social media.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Hazo posted:

Just got back from a MK/HS/EPCOT trip

Even with the recent expansion, the limited capacity was still nice-- we were able to do the Three Mountains by noon and pretty much everything else in MK pretty easily-- and they're still very strict about masking; but as was said earlier, the distancing (especially in the queues) has gotten pretty lax. This will probably be our last trip until we're fully vaccinated and the fireworks shows are back.

We usually go during Food & Wine so this was my first time at Flower & Garden, and it kicks rear end. Go right now and get the crawfish étouffée from America and the duck a l'orange from France, holy poo poo. The Garden Margarita in Mexico smells straight up like grass clippings but is actually delicious and packs a wallop.

The new Native American exhibit is really cool too-- we usually pass on the America pavilion because meh but my wife is a history buff so she wanted to drop in and it was really interesting and well done.

Also check out this loving loser

We saw him at Magic Kingdom on Thursday and laughed at him, then saw him again at Epcot two days later, which means this greasy dork has been wearing his dumb shirt for at least three days straight :barf:

Any words of advice or something that you didn't think that would be relevant in Pandemic land that is?

I'm going at the end of April with my wife, 5 yr old, and 2 yr old. My wife and I have been vaccinated for a month+, and we've all had it prior to that (Daycare got us...) My wife and I were there 2 or 3 years ago, but not since.

It was a very last minute trip which we just booked last week, so not a ton of dining options currently available, but otherwise curious for your thoughts. (Constantly refreshing for that Cinderella's Table for our kids, despite the cost/overhype).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've only spent the past year saying that I don't support theme parks until vaccines are the norm and we aren't there yet so uh, I won't.

Hazo posted:

Fun Spot is run by idiot chuds and is apparently one of the only amusement parks in the US that celebrates not requiring masks. As expected, trump cultists and Covid-spreaders are huge fans of it on social media.

Six Flags sent me a giant survey asking me what they could do to get me into a theme park before the majority of people are vaccinated and when I said "nothing" they called me and badgered me for half an hour before I started responding with x-rated romance book words because every time I hung up, they called back.

I expect 3 people will have masks on properly at Six Flags.

Also isn't Legoland a "your choice" park?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Paul Proteus posted:

Any words of advice or something that you didn't think that would be relevant in Pandemic land that is?

I'm going at the end of April with my wife, 5 yr old, and 2 yr old. My wife and I have been vaccinated for a month+, and we've all had it prior to that (Daycare got us...) My wife and I were there 2 or 3 years ago, but not since.

It was a very last minute trip which we just booked last week, so not a ton of dining options currently available, but otherwise curious for your thoughts. (Constantly refreshing for that Cinderella's Table for our kids, despite the cost/overhype).

I guess it depends on what parks you're hitting. Attractions-wise, not a lot has changed from a few years ago, other than a couple of MK rides (People Mover, Railway) are closed. Lots of restaurants are shut down for staffing, safety, or otherwise (Columbia Harbor House has been converted into a queue for Peter Pan's Flight).

If you've been since Galaxy's Edge opened, then I think the only new thing would be Runaway Railway, which actually is pretty easy to get onto (~45 minutes at most) so don't stress too much about it. In fact, keep in mind that even though lots of rides look like they have huge lines, it's mostly because of the distancing they've built in. As always, trust the MDE app. If you and the family want to do Rise of the Resistance, on the other hand, remember that the virtual queue is now done entirely on MDE starting at 7 AM. So we set an alarm for 6:58, started mashing the JOIN QUEUE button when the clock hit 7, then went back to sleep. They filled up in under 30 seconds so be diligent.

Park Hopping is now allowed but only starting at 2, so expect wait times to get high from 11AM-2PM then drop off. They also just expanded park hours and restaurant reservations so around 5 you'll see another dropoff as restaurants bleed off the crowds.

You're on the right track with constantly checking restaurants for cancellations. I managed to snag an Oga's Cantina reservation just by idly checking for openings a couple days before we left. I dunno how well that'll work for bigtime restaurants like Cinderella but I wish you the best!

Pandemic-wise, the new thing is absolutely no being unmasked unless you're eating or drinking while stationary. Cast members are still very strict about this, especially while in queues. Compared to our trip last November, they're no longer quite as strict about maintaining 6-foot distancing, so even though my wife (partially vaccinated) and I (not vaccinated) were trying to observe the markings, we still had people getting uncomfortably close behind us. Occasionally I'd shoot a glare at someone if they were right up on our backs, but I'm a grumpy bitch.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 29, 2021

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Hazo posted:

I guess it depends on what parks you're hitting. Attractions-wise, not a lot has changed from a few years ago, other than a couple of MK rides (People Mover, Railway) are closed. Lots of restaurants are shut down for staffing, safety, or otherwise (Columbia Harbor House has been converted into a queue for Peter Pan's Flight).

If you've been since Galaxy's Edge opened, then I think the only new thing would be Runaway Railway, which actually is pretty easy to get onto (~45 minutes at most) so don't stress too much about it. In fact, keep in mind that even though lots of rides look like they have huge lines, it's mostly because of the distancing they've built in. As always, trust the MDE app. If you and the family want to do Rise of the Resistance, on the other hand, remember that the virtual queue is now done entirely on MDE starting at 7 AM. So we set an alarm for 6:58, started mashing the JOIN QUEUE button when the clock hit 7, then went back to sleep. They filled up in under 30 seconds so be diligent.

Park Hopping is now allowed but only starting at 2, so expect wait times to get high from 11AM-2PM then drop off. They also just expanded park hours and restaurant reservations so around 5 you'll see another dropoff as restaurants bleed off the crowds.

You're on the right track with constantly checking restaurants for cancellations. I managed to snag an Oga's Cantina reservation just by idly checking for openings a couple days before we left. I dunno how well that'll work for bigtime restaurants like Cinderella but I wish you the best!

Pandemic-wise, the new thing is absolutely no being unmasked unless you're eating or drinking while stationary. Cast members are still very strict about this, especially while in queues. Compared to our trip last November, they're no longer quite as strict about maintaining 6-foot distancing, so even though my wife (partially vaccinated) and I (not vaccinated) were trying to observe the markings, we still had people getting uncomfortably close behind us. Occasionally I'd shoot a glare at someone if they were right up on our backs, but I'm a grumpy bitch.

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure how much COVID was effecting things other than availability + masks. We have been to Galaxy's Edge, but before Rise opened. We're planning on doing MK day 1, AK + Epcot day 2, and HS + ??? Day 4. We have a free day on the third day with no park tickets for the kids to "recharge."

Our 5 year old is 47" so can ride almost anything. We'll have to do rider swap with the 2 year old on some rides.

Did you park hop? Was it worth it? That's our biggest debate right now versus just adding Epcot to the 3rd day and making some days shorter.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Paul Proteus posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure how much COVID was effecting things other than availability + masks. We have been to Galaxy's Edge, but before Rise opened. We're planning on doing MK day 1, AK + Epcot day 2, and HS + ??? Day 4. We have a free day on the third day with no park tickets for the kids to "recharge."

Our 5 year old is 47" so can ride almost anything. We'll have to do rider swap with the 2 year old on some rides.

Did you park hop? Was it worth it? That's our biggest debate right now versus just adding Epcot to the 3rd day and making some days shorter.

We park hopped when we were APs-- sadly we sold them back to the mouse last summer when it didn't look good financially to hold onto them. Right now, though, I can't see it being worth it. In my opinion, the crowds aren't big or volatile enough to justify taking the time to transit to a whole other park, and we were happy just exploring and getting as much done as we could in our current park. So if it's between adding a hopper or Epcot, I'd go Epcot. I don't have kids though, so that might be the wild card.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm pro park hopping, but that was before the park hours got slashed recently.

When my kids were that small they needed a mid day break. I feel like the first 2 hours and the last 2 hours of park hours are where you get the most done, so we wake up early and rope drop the first park, head back to the room for a siesta, and then head back to MK every night. That's how we like to visit though, my way isn't the correct way, it's just what works for us. Now the kids are older, siesta usually turns into pool time. Historically though 2-5 is the busiest time in the parks, so we get out of there and go back later. This was back when MK was open until 9 or later though :(

The April calendar is showing some really short hours though, I don't know if I recommend trying a mid day break. I'd probably advise against buying park hoppers for that trip unless you already have them. You can find enough to do at one park when it's only open for 8 hours a day right now. Hours are subject to change of course, I can't imagine them closing EPCOT at 7PM, but they might. You're 2 year old is probably going to nap in the stroller, I don't know any kid that young that can power through an entire day without crashing.

It really depends on how you like to tour the parks. If you're just trying to hit the highlights, park hoppers can come in handy.

Parent pro-tip: You can bring food into the parks. Bags of goldfish and other snacks can be a lifesaver when the kids get hangry. Have Amazon Prime now drop off a few things for your stay.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm headed to Disney tomorrow. We're only doing 2 park days so we do plan to hop. Wednesday we're doing MK in the morning/early afternoon, then heading to Epcot to do a late lunch and then hit up F&G outdoor kitchens for dinner. On Thursday, we will probably do HS in the morning and hop somewhere else after dinner. I just prefer to do one park for day time and one for evening, but that's obviously not necessary.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

At least Epcot is open until 11PM those nights, and MK till 9.

I've got the itch to go back again, it's been a little over a year, but the short park hours are just killing me. Spending all that money to be back in the room by 6 or 7 I just can't do it. Probably going to bank this years DVC points till next year, and just splurge on a 2 bedroom next year.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

And people enjoy Paradise Pier a lot less now that they lazily slapped Pixar branding all over it. It went from tacky, to classy, and back to tacky. That's really my main issue. If they're going to do it, they should put it where it fits, not shove it anywhere just because they can.

My enjoyment of Paradise/Pixar Pier has changed 0% over the years. I thought it was okay when it first opened. Okay when they made it "classy" and it's okay now. Actually I might like it a little bit more now because the placement of Emotional Whirlwind really tickles my fancy, all tucked away in the middle of the coaster. Plus it's pretty at night.

Actually. I like it more now. The idea of having a boardwalk at DCA feels so dumb. If I wanted a boardwalk/pier I'd go to Santa Cruz or Santa Monica or Pier 39.

So yeah, gimme that Pixar theming. Lean into it more! Replace the Paradise Garden Grill/Boardwalk Pizza and Past with a Pizza Planet! Big giant noisy arcades are a staple of piers/boardwalks. Make the wild mouse coaster a Ratatouille themed Wild Rat coaster.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

BlueBayou posted:

The idea of having a boardwalk at DCA feels so dumb. If I wanted a boardwalk/pier I'd go to Santa Cruz or Santa Monica or Pier 39.

But why would you want to go to California when you could spent time at DCA instead? :v:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

So yeah, gimme that Pixar theming. Lean into it more! Replace the Paradise Garden Grill/Boardwalk Pizza and Past with a Pizza Planet!

I dunno about that since they just did a small retheme to the one in Tomorrowland. But they do need to do something with that weird area of the park. Currently it is where I go to sit and eat my corn dog.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Fartington Butts posted:

I dunno about that since they just did a small retheme to the one in Tomorrowland. But they do need to do something with that weird area of the park. Currently it is where I go to sit and eat my corn dog.

I will also accept The Manticore's Tavern from Onward. It doesn't really fit the pier/boardwalk theme but whatever

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there a general theme park thread, or is this it? I’m getting vaccinated tomorrow, so I’m thinking about checking Hershey Park in May and was wondering if anyone had any tips. Specifically, is Fast Track worth it? And are the “on property” hotels worth it? I know nothing about Hersheypark aside from the fact that it’s only a 3 hour drive away.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there a general theme park thread, or is this it? I’m getting vaccinated tomorrow, so I’m thinking about checking Hershey Park in May and was wondering if anyone had any tips. Specifically, is Fast Track worth it? And are the “on property” hotels worth it? I know nothing about Hersheypark aside from the fact that it’s only a 3 hour drive away.

This thread more or less acts as the general theme park thread.

I don’t know about Hershey specifically, but similar parks (like Cedar Point) are much better experiences if you’re willing and able to buy the fast track passes. Really depends on how packed you expect the park to be, though. If they’re limiting numbers and you go on a weekday before schools are out for the summer, there’s a better chance you don’t need to buy the fast track.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

A lot of it depends on how they do their pricing. At the Cedar Fair owned park I work at the Fast Track can be much as or more than just a single day ticket. Buy I know their prices vary depending on the park.

If you're unsure you could always just get a regular ticket, check out how busy it is, then buy the fast track if it's nuts.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Sup.

https://www.hersheypark.com/official-resorts/

There aren't on-property hotels like we'd think of for Disney or Universal. There are ones that have partnerships with the park. Fast Track depends on how crazy you are for the rides there. I'd look them up on Youtube and see if you really want to spend all day zooming around on them. If you do? Absolutely. If you'd rather be a little more leisurely? You'll probably still get on anything/everything you want to.

Congrats on your vax. Hit me with all your Hershey questions.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/wdwmagic/status/1376861188081000452?s=21

IPhone as your ticket is now live.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

OldSenileGuy posted:

In terms of planning, the big difference between regional/local parks and the Big Bois is that attendance patterns are way swingier. The vast majority of people in the park on any given day will be locals, so anything that keeps people away in general will keep a lot more people away than if they were, say, coming from their hotel. Visiting on a weekday or, better yet, when its overcast or drizzly, will probably let you enjoy a way emptier park. Then visit Baltimore or another city on the weekend.

Caveat - I don't know anything about Hersheypark in particular but I can't imagine this isn't the case. When we make the drive to Silver Dollar City, the place is practically empty on Friday night, but will maintain a crowd open to close on Saturday.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Sup.

https://www.hersheypark.com/official-resorts/

There aren't on-property hotels like we'd think of for Disney or Universal. There are ones that have partnerships with the park. Fast Track depends on how crazy you are for the rides there. I'd look them up on Youtube and see if you really want to spend all day zooming around on them. If you do? Absolutely. If you'd rather be a little more leisurely? You'll probably still get on anything/everything you want to.

Congrats on your vax. Hit me with all your Hershey questions.

There are Hershey-run hotels that are nicer than the other hotels. I don’t know if they offer any advantage to park guests over the other hotels that are also very close to the park but not really walking distance.

I may be wrong cuz I haven’t been in Hershey Park proper for at least 20 years but the best thing at Hershey Park is the 100% free Chocolate Factory Tour dark ride in the park adjacent Chocolate World building. (The 4D movie sucks, don’t spend money on the 4D movie)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

There are Hershey-run hotels that are nicer than the other hotels. I don’t know if they offer any advantage to park guests over the other hotels that are also very close to the park but not really walking distance.

I may be wrong cuz I haven’t been in Hershey Park proper for at least 20 years but the best thing at Hershey Park is the 100% free Chocolate Factory Tour dark ride in the park adjacent Chocolate World building. (The 4D movie sucks, don’t spend money on the 4D movie)

"Hershey-run" is kinda iffy. I know they hold stakes in the hotels, I know they have partnership hotels, but in my experience it doesn't really change your experience that much. I still recommend just checking each individual hotel listed and whichever one fits you best, go with it.

https://www.chocolateworld.com/en_us/things-to-do/hersheys-chocolate-tour.html

If you're talking about this, it's great.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

It's definitely using the Express Transit model:

quote:

Especially convenient is that on both iPhone and Apple Watch, the device does not need to be unlocked. You simply hold the device up to the touch point and it authenticates.

This is also a good sign for stuff outside of theme parks, since Apple is likely to open the floor to other companies to do similar things with theme parks or event tickets.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Roadie posted:

It's definitely using the Express Transit model:

This is also a good sign for stuff outside of theme parks, since Apple is likely to open the floor to other companies to do similar things with theme parks or event tickets.

Yeah once you install it the card options in wallet let you turn Express on and off.

There are various card designs you can pick from too. Although you probably won't see them much.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Zero One posted:

Yeah once you install it the card options in wallet let you turn Express on and off.

There are various card designs you can pick from too. Although you probably won't see them much.

It's so when you open your apple wallet app once a year you can see the pretty card as well as every plane ticket you've had since 2015.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the Hershey info. I’ll probably just stay at a Wyndham or something for this trip. The semi-official hotels look nice, but they’re kinda pricey and this is meant to be more of a cheap-ish weekend trip rather than a full on vacation.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

New surcharge for metal utensils at WDW. Extra 98 cent surcharge.

https://chipandco.com/disney-world-to-remove-all-plastic-silverware-from-theme-parks-425500/

yes it's an April Fools joke, but that didn't stop someone from posting some crazy outrage post on disboards

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/wdwmagic/status/1377619300492644355?s=21

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Sweet! My voucher arrived in the mail today.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1378018656999903239?s=21

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

No sympathy here, the rules are plain and clear, and couldn't be more plainer or clearer. If you don't like them, don't go.

Ok that dude is having a bad couple months...

https://www.wbrz.com/news/amputee-learns-he-has-no-health-insurance-after-employer-neglected-to-pay-bills/

https://www.wbrz.com/news/contractor-behind-emergency-sunshine-bridge-repair-still-owes-state-police-nearly-900k/

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 2, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

skipdogg posted:

No sympathy here, the rules are plain and clear, and couldn't be more plainer or clearer. If you don't like them, don't go.

yeah he already got arrested once, this is his second time. this is why parks should be closed; assholes like this that are potentially contagious starting poo poo.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

quote:

Sills was a handful of men who were arrested earlier this year for tirades

I'm imagining a bunch of whiny trumpy entitled homunculi bundled together under a lumpy hoodie

edit: Yeah gently caress this scumbag, what a piece of poo poo

Hazo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 2, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

yeah he already got arrested once, this is his second time. this is why parks should be closed; assholes like this that are potentially contagious starting poo poo.

Don't worry, the governor will fix it.
https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1378040177508159492?s=21

No, wait. Worry.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero One posted:

No, wait. Worry.

I just want a bird to poo poo on his head so bad

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Protecting the freedoms of businesses by telling them what they can and can't do.

God what an rear end in a top hat.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Zero One posted:

No, wait. Worry.
“Businesses that do not comply with the order will not be eligible for contracts or grants funded through state revenue, according to the executive order”

I’m sure Disney is quaking in their boots. Emergency meetings all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Hazo posted:

Protecting the freedoms of businesses by telling them what they can and can't do.

God what an rear end in a top hat.

Don't worry Jen Psaki has said they're leaving it up to businesses to setup said passports so it's all good.

Already applying for my MagicVaxBand+ on Disney's website.