Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Goths hate football

Not true. Robert Smith is a die hard QPR fan. (Which okay, is adjacent to hating football, but...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1376492468452126722?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol so that guardian article was basically all just the labour right leaking stuff yet again

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1376594182794543112?s=19

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

forkboy84 posted:

It's not unknown if some stranger starts talking to you in a Glasgow pub they'll eventually ask you "who's your team?" And if you don't say one of Rangers or Celtic they then ask "aye, but who is your big team?" Don't answer that & they'll eventually get to asking what school you went to, because most comprehensives in Scotland have a name after the area you're in, but the Roman Catholic schools are all St This or That. And then they know.

It's an odd side of a lovely city.

i simply tell people i support partick thistle, the only good glasgow team

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Hands down best mascot in all of sports

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Then everyone assumes you moved to the city to study at Glasgow Uni...Which is why you tell them you follow Ross County, it just confuses them.

Valko posted:

Imagine all the sectarianism of Ulster back in the bad old days crammed into an area the size of a city, just remove the guns and bombs. I know people who have travelled to Glasgow to go to matches and they are almost always surprised by how tense things are.

I'm always surprised at how savage Glaswegians are when they come over here too. A lorry driver I know was away for the week and he let a group of them stay in his flat. They trashed the place. He found a raw vegetable roll lying in the corner with a bite taken out of it. Vegetable rolls are made with raw minced pork.

He didn't know what the little balls were in his bathtub, it turns out they were using Daz washing machine tablets as soap.

My friend went over there to study when he was in his early twenties. He was avoiding stepping on heroin needles everytime he went outside. He was told not to leave his flat unless he was armed. He got around this by carrying a little skateboard under his arm.

The Glasgow Effect.

Oh really? I'm sorry if any Glaswegians are reading this, I've met some who seemed to be quite civil.

Glasgow is genuinely one of the nicest, friendliest places I've been, I absolutely love it, warts & all. I lived for years in Ibrox, in an area that is in the top 10% of most deprived places in Scotland. Never had any problems. And it's not like I didn't go out. Plenty times I would walk home from the city centre after a night out through these apparently scary places.

It's not perfect, poo poo, while I was there there was a minor health crisis because some oval office had spiked a load of heroin with anthrax & so lots of people were dying quite unpleasantly. There's gross income inequality & large chunks do feel left behind, but the same is true of parts of Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, Dundee, Perth, Stirling, or any town of a reasonable size. Huge swathes of Scotland are still left behind are the death/destruction of heavy industry, be it mining, shipbuilding, metalworking, it's all hosed. Little wonder folk seek solace in the stables of deep fried food & heroin. Still love it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

forkboy84 posted:

Glasgow is genuinely one of the nicest, friendliest places I've been, I absolutely love it, warts & all. I lived for years in Ibrox, in an area that is in the top 10% of most deprived places in Scotland. Never had any problems. And it's not like I didn't go out. Plenty times I would walk home from the city centre after a night out through these apparently scary places.

It's not perfect, poo poo, while I was there there was a minor health crisis because some oval office had spiked a load of heroin with anthrax & so lots of people were dying quite unpleasantly. There's gross income inequality & large chunks do feel left behind, but the same is true of parts of Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, Dundee, Perth, Stirling, or any town of a reasonable size. Huge swathes of Scotland are still left behind are the death/destruction of heavy industry, be it mining, shipbuilding, metalworking, it's all hosed. Little wonder folk seek solace in the stables of deep fried food & heroin. Still love it.
Nicest place you'll ever live / Twisted loving habitat

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Can confirm Glasgow is great, I would definitely live there again.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

forkboy84 posted:

Then everyone assumes you moved to the city to study at Glasgow Uni...Which is why you tell them you follow Ross County, it just confuses them.

Yeah, like I said - some of them I've met seemed like really decent people, just rough around the edges (Mark Renton). I guess I just met and served drinks to the crazy celtic supporters, both Scotch and Irish (The Begbies').

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ItohRespectArmy posted:

This is the cowards maneuver

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

It's not perfect, poo poo, while I was there there was a minor health crisis because some oval office had spiked a load of heroin with anthrax & so lots of people were dying quite unpleasantly.

I looked this up because I’d never heard of it and it’s maybe even weirder than that. Investigators concluded that the heroin had been infected when it was smuggled into the EU in a Turkish goat skin:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/anthrax-has-hit-glasgow

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah I have an uncle who likes to travel and visit distant relatives around the world. He's American but looks extremely Irish. He was in Belfast in the late '90s or early 2000s and had someone cross a street to tell him to "gently caress the pope you papist bastard." No promoting. That visit ended early.

People in old world ethnic conflict areas like that all look exactly the same, and are all extremely insistent that the the other group looks way different.
It's quite the thing.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Continuity RCP posted:

Love to live in the imperial centre and think a dead empire is any worse

The empire is mostly dead, but the lovely causes and effects it had are mostly very much alive and horrifying still, thank you.

See above post several times over for examples.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

MikeCrotch posted:

This is the cowards maneuver

but i genuinely do like partick thistle :shobon:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

quote:

Continuity RCP posted:

Rangers scarf up just in case you were in any doubt about the kind of place that is

there's a rangers overhead snooker light

think about that

a rangers overhead snooker light

where in the gently caress does one obtain a rangers overhead snooker light

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Grape posted:

People in old world ethnic conflict areas like that all look exactly the same, and are all extremely insistent that the the other group looks way different.
It's quite the thing.

It's a very difficult thing to explain but yes, it is possible to tell a protestant from a catholic in northern ireland. It's getting a lot harder these days now that both communities are mixing.

Think about it like this, if you put a white french, german and english person in the same room you could almost make an educated guess about who is who just from subtle little differences even though they technically all are western europeans.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
kick the british scum off your shores, espana

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

upsidedown posted:

I looked this up because I’d never heard of it and it’s maybe even weirder than that. Investigators concluded that the heroin had been infected when it was smuggled into the EU in a Turkish goat skin:

even your loving heroin has foot and mouth disease

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah I have an uncle who likes to travel and visit distant relatives around the world. He's American but looks extremely Irish. He was in Belfast in the late '90s or early 2000s and had someone cross a street to tell him to "gently caress the pope you papist bastard." No promoting. That visit ended early.

You'd think the American uniform of khaki's, tucked in poloshirt and new balance sneakers would have protected him.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grape posted:

The empire is mostly dead, but the lovely causes and effects it had are mostly very much alive and horrifying still, thank you.

See above post several times over for examples.

the yankee empire is about where the british empire was in 1936, clearly ailing but still very much around

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

even your loving heroin has foot and mouth disease

Only because it is dastardly foreign muck. Need to grow British opium poppies to keep them safe.

upsidedown posted:

That's interesting, didn't actually know they'd gotten to the bottom.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’ve seen a heck of a lot more violence on a night out in market towns than glasgow, or any city now i think about it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

In a completely unsurprising turn of events the usual twitter suspects have decided to search the founder of the nips twitter for things about Jews so they can accuse him of anti-Semitism

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

MikeCrotch posted:

Goths hate football

What about Visigoths?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I will take back anything nasty or dubious I ever said about the NIP if they dismiss AS shitflinging without immediately melting and begging for forgiveness. I honestly think this is one of the biggest barriers to the left in public discourse at this point and someone needs to show you can't do idpol-style do better apologies when the accusers are bad actors just trying to find any gap in your armour

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

multijoe posted:

I will take back anything nasty or dubious I ever said about the NIP if they dismiss AS shitflinging without immediately melting and begging for forgiveness. I honestly think this is one of the biggest barriers to the left in public discourse at this point and someone needs to show you can't do idpol-style do better apologies when the accusers are bad actors just trying to find any gap in your armour

They're going after a lecturer in middle east studies for talking about his subject, it's clear bullshit

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Continuity RCP posted:

They're going after a lecturer in middle east studies for talking about his subject, it's clear bullshit

good luck with this, sincerely. the level of attacks against you recently should be seen as encouraging - people are starting to sense a genuine threat here

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Luke akehurst loving loves the Saudis and is on the labour NEC

https://twitter.com/weemoxy1/status/1376836985768308738?s=19

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

where in the gently caress does one obtain a rangers overhead snooker light

Probably Rangers themselves, most clubs sell pub gear.

Title: "They don't make the right chips here don't they."

This is a modern renaissance painting.
Such gloom, every face and pose its own story on how life is meaningless.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

happyhippy posted:

Even the felt is blue.

Even the felt is blue.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

happyhippy posted:

there’s probably a whole city in china devoted just to making club gear for just rangers, with a city a few miles down the road only making gear for celtic

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

happyhippy posted:

I keep going back to that WDTATW episode about how the Brexiters won everything they ever wanted and it's just made them even more miserable cunts

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jel Shaker posted:

there’s probably a whole city in china devoted just to making club gear for just rangers, with a city a few miles down the road only making gear for celtic

Do Rangers/Celtics fans regularly insist on inspection visits to make sure there's no cross-contamination?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1376845383389839363?s=19

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

MikeCrotch posted:

I keep going back to that WDTATW episode about how the Brexiters won everything they ever wanted and it's just made them even more miserable cunts

this really is the mass base of the conservative right in general

they've won a victory so total that it's hard to imagine a world not slowly boiling itself to death, and they've somehow convinced themselves that they've lost at every point and are valiantly fighting a losing battle for national dignity or some such, when they're actually fighting for the dissolution of the values and institutions they claim to cherish

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what would be the westminster map of this? it would be incredibly funny if johnson increased his majority off a covid bump after starmer's done nothing but try and fail to consolidate his party

well, funny and a bit depressing

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Phil Moorehouse barely containing laughter at brits in spain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQuSKQd4RxM

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

to be fair in April 2017 before the first Corbyn elections Labour was polling down to 26% vs. con 45%

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Private Speech posted:

to be fair in April 2017 before the first Corbyn elections Labour was polling down to 26% vs. con 45%

the scale of that fightback still boggles the mind. 2017 was such a good campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

NIPs shitposting game is good

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1376861655284514816?s=20