Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Motronic posted:

What it's supposed to be doing is holding the cooktop into the hole in your countertop. There should be "pockets" or similar on the sides of the cooktop that those fit into, and then you use the adhesive to stick them to the bottom of the cooktop.

Depending on what the cooktop came with you may be able to use or modify the existing brackets for use and just buy the adhesive. If the cabinet it's in is small enough sometimes you can bend the brackets it comes with so it's being attached to the sides of the cabinet rather than the bottom of the counter.

And....not that I'm suggesting it, but a bead of silicone around the lip of it on top, which you probably want to do for purposes of finishing anyway, is going to hold it in place without any of the brackets if your rough opening isn't hilariously oversized.

Hmm, ok. Also, I think I might just be able to turn the L brackets upside down and screw them to the cabinet without even any bending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, i was assuming you wanted that particular order. if order doesn't matter, then it's:

choosing the subset of 5 dice from the 7: C(7,5) = 21 possibilities
choosing what number they land on, 1 in this case: 1 possibility
choosing what shows up on the other dice: 6^2 = 36 possibilities

so the total number of possibilities for your requirements is then 21 * 1 * 36 = 756 possibilities

the universe of possibilities is 7^7

so 756/(7^7) = .000918

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 28, 2021

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Motronic posted:

"Eyestalk ablation" on female prawns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyest...d%20commercial.

It's all pretty gross.

Wtf? That's horrible! Especially when you read the "alternatives" section of that article, and 2 other options are simply "better food" or "switch up the male/female ratio".

Yeah, we could feed them better, or change up their co-ed dorm assignments, but nah, let's use a razor to slice one eye and pinch off the eye stalk by hand. :psyduck:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Apart from all the good probability stuff others have said a seven sided dice isn't fair which would of course change the probabilities a bit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Roll a d8 and reroll if you get an 8.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Am I the only one who has the worst luck with FedEx? Everytime something comes through them it's late and I never have accurate tracking. I'm currently waiting on something, it departed a city that's about 45 minutes away yesterday at 3 in the morning. 36 hours later I got no updates. Last status is that it left that city and it's scheduled for delivery today which is 100% not going to happen if my previous experience is anything to go by

Sorry it was a rant but my question really is do I just have bad luck with them or are they notably worse?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Am I the only one who has the worst luck with FedEx? Everytime something comes through them it's late and I never have accurate tracking. I'm currently waiting on something, it departed a city that's about 45 minutes away yesterday at 3 in the morning. 36 hours later I got no updates. Last status is that it left that city and it's scheduled for delivery today which is 100% not going to happen if my previous experience is anything to go by

Sorry it was a rant but my question really is do I just have bad luck with them or are they notably worse?

Which Fedex? The quality of services varies greatly because they are run by different entities. For example, Fedex Home last mile delivery is run by the lowest bidding contractors around here. The service is consistently awful.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Man with Hat posted:

Apart from all the good probability stuff others have said a seven sided dice isn't fair which would of course change the probabilities a bit.

I thought this as well. But aside from virtual dice, I think d14 is a thing (subtract 7 from 8-14), the d8 with reroll is an option, plus barrel dice exist which gets around the geometrical problems of dice needing an even number of sides (by cheating with the ends).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Motronic posted:

Which Fedex? The quality of services varies greatly because they are run by different entities. For example, Fedex Home last mile delivery is run by the lowest bidding contractors around here. The service is consistently awful.

Fedex Smartpost I think?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Fedex Smartpost I think?

Okay, so that's even worse. This is Fedex picking it up from the shipper and using the slowest ground transport they can to get it to your local post office where USPS completes the delivery to yoru address. It's probably the cheapest (and slowest) domestic shipping service.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Motronic posted:

Okay, so that's even worse. This is Fedex picking it up from the shipper and using the slowest ground transport they can to get it to your local post office where USPS completes the delivery to yoru address. It's probably the cheapest (and slowest) domestic shipping service.

Oh. Well that sucks. Guess I'm not getting it today then

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

BonHair posted:

I thought this as well. But aside from virtual dice, I think d14 is a thing (subtract 7 from 8-14), the d8 with reroll is an option, plus barrel dice exist which gets around the geometrical problems of dice needing an even number of sides (by cheating with the ends).

It's not just that it has to be an even number, every side has to be identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7zT9MljJ3Y

Anyway, there are of course ways around it I just find it to be an interesting piece of trivia.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What's the deal with people using the shrug emoji followed by a male or female symbol?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Manager Hoyden posted:

What's the deal with people using the shrug emoji followed by a male or female symbol?

It happens automatically. I think some protocol/software's emoji are out of date and don't have the different gender shrug icons, so it parses them by appending the sex symbol after the shrug icons they do have.

It would happen to me when putting a dude shrugging emoji into a Discord message, but after the app updated at some point they started display properly.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ah that makes sense. I was seeing it in twitch chat.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
If using my microwave causes minor disruption to my Bluetooth headphones, should I be worried about the radiation shielding?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
Has anyone used stache.com as a homeowner renting out space? It sounds like a great idea to make a little money, but also seems like it could be really shady.

Edit: Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post an opinion publicly.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 30, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kevin DuBrow posted:

If using my microwave causes minor disruption to my Bluetooth headphones, should I be worried about the radiation shielding?

Worried about it in what way?

A little leakage may disrupt Bluetooth, wifi, and other radio communications, as you have discovered. It’s not going to harm your body.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

like a week ago, I paid my car payment like normal, from the same checking account I always use.

The loan website shows the payment as having gone through, and I got a confirmation. But the money is still in my checking account.

Is this a thing where I should call the bank? I'm not losing sleep over them not getting the money immediately but if they're going to figure this out eventually I'd like to just get it over with.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What are "scare quotes"?

I hear this mentioned on podcasts occasionally, but never in a context that makes sense to me. I often hear it mentioned when someone is lying? Is this just a fun way of saying "air quotes"? A friend of mine used it the other day, and then denied having done so. I asked her what it means and she says she does not know because she didn't do it.

So she's a liar. But I don't know what it means.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
You put scare quotes around something in writing when you want your audience to doubt it without you explicitly casting doubt on it. The example I've always seen is a conservative commentator will use quotes around the term global warming, to make their audience go "yeah that's some liberal bullshit I'm going to keep rolling coal in my F650", when someone who is being rhetorically honest will use the term climate change and not use quotation marks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

What are "scare quotes"?

Wikipedia posted:

Scare quotes (also called shudder quotes, sneer quotes, and quibble marks) are quotation marks that writers place around a word or phrase to signal that they are using it in an ironic, referential, or otherwise non-standard sense. Scare quotes may indicate that the author is using someone else's term, similar to preceding a phrase with the expression "so-called"; they may imply skepticism or disagreement, belief that the words are misused, or that the writer intends a meaning opposite to the words enclosed in quotes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Quotation marks can be used to denote that a word is used in a figurative sense.

For example, “canned” music is not actually in a can. It refers to music that has been preserved on something like a record it cassette. It’s only “canned” by analogy to preserved foods.

Scare quotes are an evolution of this use of quotation marks. If I were to put quotation marks around “foods” in that last sentence of the previous paragraph, it would imply that I didn’t think that canned meats or vegetables or mushrooms were truly food at all.

Those would be scare quotes. They are intended to sow doubts in the reader’s mind. I could get a similar effect by prefacing the term with “so-called”.

Now in another sentence: ICE provides “housing” to refugees.

By quoting the word, I suggest that the living quarters wouldn’t be fit for a dog, much less a child.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Interesting. I've been using scare quotes my entire life but hadn't connected that with what people said when they used that term. I always thought it involved something more. I never heard the term until a year or two ago but it looks like I'm just way behind.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Shielding from the 2.4 gHz radiation from which source? The headphones you have on your head, the phone in your pocket or the microwave? They're all using the same general frequencies. Which is why the uncoordinated microwave can interfere with the coordinated devices.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, it's not something to be concerned about. You might have made the experience that putting your cellphone near your PC loudspeakers makes a thumping/screeching noise when someone calls you - it's the same general concept. If there was enough of a shielding leak on your microwave to be worth worrying about, you would feel an intense burning pain whenever you stand near it while it's running.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

like a week ago, I paid my car payment like normal, from the same checking account I always use.

The loan website shows the payment as having gone through, and I got a confirmation. But the money is still in my checking account.

Is this a thing where I should call the bank? I'm not losing sleep over them not getting the money immediately but if they're going to figure this out eventually I'd like to just get it over with.

That happened to me with my car down payment a few years back. Give it another few days.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

So concerns for safety have already been addressed, but if the disrupted signal is the issue, then just move your microwave further away, or consider getting some wired headphones. Could also consider replacing the microwave or the bluetooth headset, but bluetooth is kind of a crapshoot anyways and there's no guarantee that new gear will fix it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
any over-ear bluetooth headphones that don’t scream “power on! connected! low battery! disconnected! power off!” at me? i can’t wear earbuds.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nishi koichi posted:

any over-ear bluetooth headphones that don’t scream “power on! connected! low battery! disconnected! power off!” at me? i can’t wear earbuds.

With my Sony pair you can turn that off via their Headphones app.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

hooah posted:

With my Sony pair you can turn that off via their Headphones app.
Same for their earbuds. Not useful for Nishi here, but the WF-1000XM3 are worth every cent and incredibly customizable.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

That happened to me with my car down payment a few years back. Give it another few days.

thank you!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I was having dinner at my neighbor's back yard when I noticed I was able to get a near perfect connection to my WiFi from their backyard. When I brought this up, they asked if I wouldn't mind sharing the wifi password. For the record, we get along really well, and I don't mind sharing my Wifi password with them. All they'd use it for is playing music in the backyard or something.

My question is, what kind of steps do I need to take to protect my data? Do I need to take any extra steps to protect myself? I was under the impression if all they had access to was my guest Wifi, it'd be fine. Did I guess correctly? Out of curiosity, what kind of information would they have access to if we gave them the password to the main Wifi we use at home? They will not have information to my router, obviously.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If your access point provides a separate guest network, and everything is configured correctly, and the software stack is properly designed, anything you do on the other network (not the guest one) should be protected from anything happening on the guest network. That’s why the guest network feature exists.

If you wanted protection against possible security flaws in your access point, you could connect a separate access point to the network and serve guest wifi out of it.

One thing that you will never have is legal protection. If your neighbor does something illegal through your connection, it could be associated with you. You don’t have to go to jail for their crime for this to be a massive headache. A year or two ago, the Sunspot Solar Observatory had to shutter operations for a short time for an investigation into what the janitor was doing through their network.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Don't give other people access to your network to be polite. Guest or otherwise.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, set up a guest network. It's not just your neighbour who you need to be concerned about, but everyone who they might choose to share the password with as well. Not making any accusations there, but it's simply good security consciousness to be aware that this can happen.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Besides English and Japanese, what are other languages that have a lot of video games produced natively? What I mean by that is, the game is developed and released in that language rather than being translated from something else. Sorry for the poor wording, I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it.

I assume Chinese is one, but I wasn't sure about others. Like I know Ubisoft is a French studio but it seems like they just make most of their games in English.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

Besides English and Japanese, what are other languages that have a lot of video games produced natively? What I mean by that is, the game is developed and released in that language rather than being translated from something else. Sorry for the poor wording, I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it.

I assume Chinese is one, but I wasn't sure about others. Like I know Ubisoft is a French studio but it seems like they just make most of their games in English.

Seems like there are lots of studios working out of Russia and Eastern Europe.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Some French, Polish. Spanish, Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just took a home sleep apnea test and the experience sucked balls. It took me four hours to fall asleep with the device on; and then I slept for only three hours (recommended is 4+). I woke up with my legs sweating and my throat tight. Do I have the apnea? What medicine should I take in the interim while I wait for my test results?