Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I feel like the actual story behind "pumpkin in bathtub went bad" was they didn't shower for six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Vice actually wrote about Adventure Zone's woes. https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dp...erboard_twitter

quote:

For what it's worth, Justin McElroy, the eldest of the brothers, agrees that some aspects of this season have been rough. Justin told Motherboard that in particular, the amount of NPCs was "tough, for sure."

"I think Graduation has taught us a lot about finding the balance between narrative and more mechanical linear encounters," Justin said. "Trav had put a lot of thought into his world, and I think maybe he was trying to unfurl it too quickly at the top. He’s repeatedly told us there’s a lot that he’d do differently if he could start over."

Justin said that from his perspective, working with his family is a source of strength. The rapport that the McElroy family has with each other is a huge part of the appeal for listeners.

"It certainly raises the stakes when it comes to stuff like criticism," Justin said. "There is a vocal part of our audience that has been truly hostile to Travis throughout Graduation and speaking as his brother, it’s heartbreaking to see. The guy really did try his best and, in my opinion, still succeeded a lot more than he failed. But I can’t just be the big brother who tells him to shut it all out and keep his chin up, I have to be a collaborator who asks 'OK, what do we learn from this? How do we improve?'"

Cathartic in a way to see one of em' comment on the criticism. Wonder how many people will jump back on the ship for the mini-arcs / next season if they right the course. I will at least for sure.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 30, 2021

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

Vice actually wrote about Adventure Zone's woes. https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dp...erboard_twitter

Cathartic in a way to see one of em' comment on the criticism. Wonder how many people will jump back on the ship for the mini-arcs / next season if they right the course.

I'll certainly give it a try. I really just miss the early balance days of mostly goofs and some puzzle solving with checks and fights. They don't need to do anything fancy, just get back to their roots a bit

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Sankara posted:

I feel like the actual story behind "pumpkin in bathtub went bad" was they didn't shower for six months.

Still tracks with my theory.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Jestery posted:

Welcome to Aussie comedy, where you call your mates pieces of poo poo

They are all in on the joke

Nope. If Bean Dad was actually starving his kid, then Montaigne was actually being a jumped up B-Lister. There is no comedy on the internet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea there was such a McElroy-related shitstorm happening right now lmao

I haven’t listened to any of Graduation but the excerpts from the Vice article really do make it sound like Travis is indulging the worst impulses I can imagine. As much as performative wokeness claims are thrown around too much by the right Travis is absolutely one of the people where the criticism is accurate. I don’t hate him but he shouldn’t be allowed so much control over anything lol

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Nope. If Bean Dad was actually starving his kid, then Montaigne was actually being a jumped up B-Lister. There is no comedy on the internet.

It's time to let Bean Dad go, man. No one gives a poo poo about the lost art of Gen X comedy.

In actual news, Justin is apparently the host of a new horror compilation podcast called Bad Vibes. The trailer seemed interesting, at least, and is a really different kind of role for him.

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1376579289617989636?s=19

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can't wait for Travis McElroy's TAZ Graduation to come out on HBO Max in three years.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Pretty good article, she summarized the criticism fairly while taking the creators' perspective into account. I do kind of feel like the last paragraph is kind of giving a pass to both lovely sides of the community (toxically positive "no bummers" people and the people desperately trying to cancel the McElroys), though, by saying "welp that's just part of public life".

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I'll certainly give it a try. I really just miss the early balance days of mostly goofs and some puzzle solving with checks and fights. They don't need to do anything fancy, just get back to their roots a bit
They have been able to access this energy when doing one shots. IMO they really need to let go of the "we're going to create a grand work of fiction" mindset and go back to focusing on having a game they can actually relax and have fun in. That is definitely easier said than done, though, and plenty of that pressure comes from the fandom.

e: also what is the difference between "performative wokeness" and "virtue signaling", because they seem to mean the same thing to me but I've seen the same people chastise others for using the latter while they use the former to criticize very similar behavior?

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 30, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That article was pretty frustrating to read, it really made it seem like "no bummers" is some sort of policy the McElroys have imposed that means "do not bring up uncomfortable issues with us, ever" rather than a policy that applies to goofballs getting up at live shows and asking questions. It should have been made more clear that this is a problem of the fandom and not something the brothers have imposed on anyone, or done a better job making the argument that the McElroys have fostered that within the fandom, if that was the point. There are no examples brought up in the article where someone tried to bring up an issue and was shut down, and it is really stretching to try to tie Travis' recent social media problems in with the larger McElroy brand. I'm really trying not to be a kneejerk defender of people I don't know, but it seemed to me kind of like the article was trying to manufacture a bit of controversy for clicks.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Escobarbarian posted:

I had no idea there was such a McElroy-related shitstorm happening right now lmao

I haven’t listened to any of Graduation but the excerpts from the Vice article really do make it sound like Travis is indulging the worst impulses I can imagine. As much as performative wokeness claims are thrown around too much by the right Travis is absolutely one of the people where the criticism is accurate. I don’t hate him but he shouldn’t be allowed so much control over anything lol

how can you not know there's a mcelroy shitstorm when this thread and its predecessor self-destructs every two weeks over people being unable to stop posting about how much they hate travis

e: justin's remarks in the vice article are on point. i don't think graduation has been good but the fervor with which people post about travis on social media makes me uncomfortable.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 30, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In these trying times, can there truly be a love zone

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

That article was pretty frustrating to read, it really made it seem like "no bummers" is some sort of policy the McElroys have imposed that means "do not bring up uncomfortable issues with us, ever" rather than a policy that applies to goofballs getting up at live shows and asking questions. It should have been made more clear that this is a problem of the fandom and not something the brothers have imposed on anyone, or done a better job making the argument that the McElroys have fostered that within the fandom, if that was the point. There are no examples brought up in the article where someone tried to bring up an issue and was shut down, and it is really stretching to try to tie Travis' recent social media problems in with the larger McElroy brand. I'm really trying not to be a kneejerk defender of people I don't know, but it seemed to me kind of like the article was trying to manufacture a bit of controversy for clicks.

Eh, there is the case of Justin DM'ing Rachel Rosing asking her to not call them out when they're lovely:

https://twitter.com/Rachtacular/status/1346130073691144192

(To your point, the article should have provided at least one example.)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Agree that that article hits a few weird notes. Along with what Colonel Whitey mentioned, it's kind of funny how it weaves in and out of treating them like a three-headed person and individuals. Consequence of the brand, I suppose.

QuoProQuid posted:

how can you not know there's a mcelroy shitstorm when this thread and its predecessor self-destructs every two weeks over people being unable to stop posting about how much they hate travis

This is a thread to discuss the McElory's, one of the boys been doing discussionable stuff, people gonna discuss the boy. Most of the posts on it have been pretty even kneeled :shrug:.

Shinjobi posted:

In these trying times, can there truly be a love zone

There must be lights burning brighter somewhere. Got to be birds flying higher in a sky more blue... if I can dream of a better land, where all my brothers walk hand in hand, tell me why, oh why, oh why can't my dream come true, oh why...

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Eh, there is the case of Justin DM'ing Rachel Rosing asking her to not call them out when they're lovely:

https://twitter.com/Rachtacular/status/1346130073691144192

(To your point, the article should have provided at least one example.)
Is this about the CBD snake oil guy?

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah I do have to agree with this, it kind of seemed like the stuff about Travis's social media presence was pretty irrelevant to the larger conversation, and it should have been clearer how much of this is coming from the community vs. from on McElhigh.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Welcome to sawbones where we take umbrage with stupid medical pseudo science

Ah dang sorry we took umbrage with stupid medical pseudo science in the mall

Wasn't on brand I guess

We shall never escape the dumbest timeline

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

spell their last name again right now

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

Is this about the CBD snake oil guy?

No, it was when some people talked about how it would be cool if Still Buffering did an episode about white privilege and the Smirl family lost their poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think Travis has done anything that’s any more performatively woke than writing a character named “Chalupa” as canonically trans and hispanic was for Justin.

Is the beef that Travis paints his nails, dyes his hair purple, and refers to himself as “the cute one”? Is it that you find the open mouth schtick annoying and/or fake?

Because if so, then as personally annoying as you might find that, it doesn’t really deserve an accusation of “performative woke”—unless you’re some kind of coded behavior essentialist who thinks that only queer men or transwomen should be allowed to be effeminate and have purple hair.

It feels like a lot of the people really leaning into the soyface poo poo are just looking for acceptable ways to be like “guys who look and act and sound like that just really piss me off and make me wanna beat ‘em up” but they’ve been socially conditioned to temper it with “but just to be clear it’s totally ok for real LGBTQ people to be like this, but this prick’s fair game because he’s ‘fake”.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

No, it was when some people talked about how it would be cool if Still Buffering did an episode about white privilege and the Smirl family lost their poo poo.
Oh okay, that was more reasonable for people to be mad about, since clearly Sydnee hosed up in responding like this was any old Facebook fight attacking her boomer mom instead of realizing the relationship with fans is different and she had a responsibility to not call that person out like she did. Having been a member of those Facebook groups back before this happened, though, I feel like Rachel is downplaying the vitriol with which people were attacking (not that it makes the Smirls' response OK, but it does explain why they reacted inappropriately). Thinking back, IIRC people were saying that not doing a white privilege episode (which I'm sure they didn't feel qualified to do) would make them racist, but Rachel is suggesting in that thread that Mary was getting defensive about white privilege existing at all? I dunno.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t think Travis has done anything that’s any more performatively woke than writing a character named “Chalupa” as canonically trans and hispanic was for Justin.

Is the beef that Travis paints his nails, dyes his hair purple, and refers to himself as “the cute one”? Is it that you find the open mouth schtick annoying and/or fake?

Because if so, then as personally annoying as you might find that, it doesn’t really deserve an accusation of “performative woke”—unless you’re some kind of coded behavior essentialist who thinks that only queer men or transwomen should be allowed to be effeminate and have purple hair.

It feels like a lot of the people really leaning into the soyface poo poo are just looking for acceptable ways to be like “guys who look and act and sound like that just really piss me off and make me wanna beat ‘em up” but they’ve been socially conditioned to temper it with “but just to be clear it’s totally ok for real LGBTQ people to be like this, but this prick’s fair game because he’s ‘fake”.
I completely agree, and the soyboy/soyface thing is 100% just an "acceptable" way to call someone the homophobic f word

also not to detract from the larger point, but I don't think Lup or Taako were canonically hispanic, that was a fan thing

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dp...erboard_twitter posted:

One person who described the Adventure Zone as "a family D&D game" to me was McElroy's PR person when I reached out to them for comment; most family D&D games do not have their own press representatives.

"I hate to see a family D&D game dragged through the mud," they said.

huge lol

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah honestly that poo poo always felt pandering and cringy as hell. Like I get Hispanic fans latched onto someone named Taako being Hispanic sure fans can have their own head canon but Justin just picked a silly name, but then when he actually doubled down on that and created Chalupa that was weird to me. Justin was insistent that Taako wasn't Hispanic in his canon but then just give Taako's sibling a generic or whatever name and don't continue the Hispanic theme in the family. Like if you have a character named Sushi I might think OK that's a silly name, if you then give them a brother named Wasabi I'm going to think are you actually trying to say these two are Asian? And if I was Asian im not even sure how I'd react to that naming convention.

edit: ok Griffin named her Chalupa but yeah. Also not referring to Lupa being trans that's a separate thing.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 30, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

IIRC it was Griffin who named Chalupa

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Why did they mention that she was trans? It never came up in the story didn’t griffin just say oh by the way lup is trans

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Griffin created her, and decided on Lup being her whole name instead of it being a nickname for Chalupa after fans told him about the hispanic headcanon stuff. I think her being a trans woman was Justin's idea, though.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah it felt like their first attempt at *representation* and it was pretty ham fisted but it seemed like the fans (inc trans fans afaik) still responded well to it. Seems like Travis has taken the wrong lessons from that for Graduation, the stuff about the disabled character from the Vice article sounds cringe as hell.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah it felt like their first attempt at *representation* and it was pretty ham fisted but it seemed like the fans (inc trans fans afaik) still responded well to it. Seems like Travis has taken the wrong lessons from that for Graduation, the stuff about the disabled character from the Vice article sounds cringe as hell.
hi hello, trans fan here who was very happy to have a trans character in something whose story wasn't all about how terrible it is to be trans or entirely focused on her transition. It didn't feel ham-fisted to me, just slightly awkward since they weren't quite sure how to approach doing that sensitively. IIRC they explicitly said Taako was gay and Lup was trans in a TTAZZ, which was a perfectly fine way to do it, imo.

The stuff with Rainier's introduction was definitely worse, but he did better with the character after that.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Fair enough, thanks for sharing your take on it.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

If it has nothing to do with the plot it’s kind of weird to out a trans person in a world where literally you can magically change genders.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Yea Lupa being trans I felt was done about as well as you can I suppose if you just want representation, because yea you either make it a big deal and have a whole thing about them transitioning and have the focus really be on that persons identity as a trans-person or you just go "they're trans" like you would say "they're male" or "they're white" if you just want some representation, which ideally as the goal is to have trans people be as accepted as cis people that's the way to do it. We can argue about them just throwing that in there to tick a woke box but I think their intentions were pure.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Trans isn’t necessarily an identity for everyone, since Lup never said anything about it one way or the other in the text of the show then her identity is a woman.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Looks like it's Justin's turn (see tweet thread)

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1376951573499285508?s=20

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

inferis posted:

If it has nothing to do with the plot it’s kind of weird to out a trans person in a world where literally you can magically change genders.
What kind of plot, exactly, do you think a character being trans would "matter" enough for? Because like I said, the vast majority of those are about how being trans is terrible or entirely focused on transition, and I'm frankly tired of cis people writing those stories.

Why can't a character just be trans, like any other facet? I can see it being sort of weird if they had outed her in character, but they didn't do that. Why would magically being able to change genders change anything? Trans people aren't defined by our transition, and some of us proudly identify as transgender and don't just want to be seen as "a woman" or "a man" or whatever. There is no reason to assume one way or the other.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

When did lup out herself trans? When did she say it was an important part of her identity that she wanted everyone to know?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Dont we kind of live in a world where you can "magically" change genders anyway? Like the science is a kind of magic compared to not THAT long ago where someone's only option was to wear the clothing of the gender they identify as. It doesn't make it any less important if it's magic, especially if even if you live in a magical world you decide to change to one gender and stay that way.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

See, when I was listening to the episode, I imagined Griffin desperately signaling them to stop making fun of "sexy fonts" before they have another Furry Situation... little did I know they'd actually be cancelled for saying that a Korean word sounds gross.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

lol wow thanks PR person for just walking straight into that one

They should have been more careful about letting a first-time DM run an entire season of their (by then) huge show. Maybe collaborate with a seasoned pro or something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pham Nuwen posted:

... little did I know they'd actually be cancelled for saying that a Korean word sounds gross.

This is the new thread title in my heart

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Having a non-McElroy DM sounds like a good idea to me for the next TAZ season, if there is one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The next adventure zone should be a group of focus grouped diverse people role playing as the mcelroys.