Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just had my COVID jab :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, I mean it is important to remember what the government meant when they talked about her immunity 12 months ago: they meant accepting a million fatalities (or more) in order to keep business opens, all of them. It was so deranged its easy to forget.

On the other hand it is also worth remembering that the good points Murray makes usually get lost amidst conspiracy theories.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

It's not going to get any better :v:

quote:

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has said it has so far received one referral from Avon and Somerset police about complaints relating to the conduct of officers policing demonstrations in Bristol last week.

“We assessed the referral and decided it was suitable for local investigation by the force,” he said. “The complainant would have a right of review to the IOPC if dissatisfied by the outcome of the police investigation.”

[x]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh great maybe the copper smashing my head in with a baton will say it's bad for him to be smashing my head in with a baton

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

Just had my COVID jab :neckbeard:

Hopefully it doesn't make you too sick.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Junior G-man posted:

Brand new podsode out for your delectation or abhorrence as we finally do the dreaded ScotPol:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1376502366363602948?s=20

As one of the idiots asking for your take on the Salmond vs Sturgeon situation, thanks for this. It's good to hear you have actually decent Greens up there, but depressing that we don't have them down here.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

multijoe posted:

Herd immunity as presented by Cummings last year (I.e. through mass exposure to the virus and not from mass vaccinations) was completely insane, would have causes hundreds of thousands of deaths in the first wave and given what we've seen from virus mutations in the last year wouldn't have even worked on its own terms

Yeah, I know. And it's incredibly sloppy journalism to call herd immunity an "insane theory" when it is, in fact, an extremely solid and well-studied scientific principle. Calling it an insane theory delegitimises it.

It's like if the government proposed dropping people on their heads and someone came out shouting about the "insane theory of gravity"

It's insane policy not theory

edit: anyway, aside from that, I'm not sure I understand the main thrust of the article anyway. It seems to suggest you can profit from selling a vaccine if you support the herd immunity strategy of letting everyone get infected first. How, exactly, do you sell a vaccine when everyone is already immune or dead??

quote:

Supporting the insane theory of herd immunity suddenly makes sense, when you stand to profit enormously from the development of a vaccine.

The only way I can intepret this is "a vaccine provides herd immunity, but herd immunity would have killed a lot of people last year, i'm an idiot who can't tell the difference." Am I missing something?

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 30, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm supposed to be in group 6 for vaccination due to underlying health conditions and I still haven't had my first jab. Rang the NHS helpline and was told "you're eligible for a vaccine, just not through this service". loving useless

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah, I know. And it's incredibly sloppy journalism to call herd immunity an "insane theory" when it is, in fact, an extremely solid and well-studied scientific principle. Calling it an insane theory delegitimises it.

It's like if the government proposed dropping people on their heads and someone came out shouting about the "insane theory of gravity"

The article appears to have shortened "Cummings's insane theory of what he thinks herd immunity actually is" for brevity, if not accurate blame-placing.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

In the case of Covid19 it is a pretty insane theory - it's been well documented that people have caught Covid19 twice and the line from research suggests getting Covid19 only gives immunity measured in months. There is also the unknown factor of Covid19 strains resistant to vaccines. The fact is if you let Covid19 run rampant it would slowly kill us all. It would probably reduce life expectancy in this country by a good 10 years at a minimum.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lungboy posted:

As one of the idiots asking for your take on the Salmond vs Sturgeon situation, thanks for this. It's good to hear you have actually decent Greens up there, but depressing that we don't have them down here.

Yeah, your Greens loving suck. Caroline Lucas seems...ok (I haven't heard of any TERF stuff?) And the Majid guy in Sheffield? But otherwise, Scottish Greens are so much cooler.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Tarnop posted:

I'm supposed to be in group 6 for vaccination due to underlying health conditions and I still haven't had my first jab. Rang the NHS helpline and was told "you're eligible for a vaccine, just not through this service". loving useless

I got mine early this month for asthma and all I got was a text from my GP with a link to go book it on

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Re: M&S

When I worked for Brooks/Avanna in rogerstone, I was on the line making ready meals. One day I was doing coronation duck - my job was to sprinkle the coconut. These were for ASDA. About three hours in, the line manager called us to a halt. spent a minute or two fiddling with the machine at the end, and then told us the next 500 would be for M&S. The duck was the same, the veg was the same, the sauce was the same. I didn't even get a fresh bowl of coconut.

M&S ready-meals really are just any ready meals. You're paying triple for the label.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Flayer posted:

The fact is if you let Covid19 run rampant it would slowly kill us all.

[citation needed]

It's a horrible disease and would kill hundreds of thousands, but this kind of - charitably - hyperbole doesn't really help the debate at all.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Saith posted:

When I worked for Brooks/Avanna in rogerstone, I was on the line making ready meals. One day I was doing coronation duck - my job was to sprinkle the coconut. These were for ASDA. About three hours in, the line manager called us to a halt. spent a minute or two fiddling with the machine at the end, and then told us the next 500 would be for M&S. The duck was the same, the veg was the same, the sauce was the same. I didn't even get a fresh bowl of coconut.

M&S ready-meals really are just any ready meals. You're paying triple for the label.

I worked in a factory packing salads (spinach, watercress etc.). Sometimes the bags don't seal properly, so they get ripped open and put back through the machine. The only difference with M&S is they didn't put those returned leaves on the M&S lines. Each pack was a good 30% more expensive for the honour.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Saith posted:

Yep. There are a number of cases I have seen where items sold in Waitrose have Waitrose info on the front and Aldi info on the back of the same packet.

eg https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/waitrose-secret-exposed-after-aldi-22144280

Also, a former colleague used to work in an orange juice packaging plant. The orange juice would come down a pipe and go straight into boxes stamped with 'best before' dates. After however many 'Junes', the boxes would have 'July' stamped on them etc. Same orange juice, same pipe, split seconds later, a month longer 'best before'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Manchester 2021:

https://twitter.com/UnityNewsIndie/status/1376587252864802821?s=20

Cairo Dec 2011:

(source: https://english.ahram.org.eg/News/29690.aspx)

(Ed: there was some comment at the time about why one of the masked army persons - the one aiming the kick - was wearing trainers. I can't remember what the outcome of that was.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 30, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Caroline Lucas seems...ok (I haven't heard of any TERF stuff?)

Back in 2014 or so but at the Green Party conference she hosted a panel on marginalised women (which had no trans women on, but I don't think she had a choice given there was also a sex worker) and the sex worker specifically called her out for being a SWERF and she did the "my ideology trumps your lived experience" meme but more politely.

Natalie Bennett (the leader at the time, the Aussie if you don't remember) seemed more open to the arguments. But that's rather moot given she's in the Lords now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mr Biden the people of my country yearn for freedom.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Triple posting because gently caress you https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1376614879080153088

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I've been saying all along that The North starts at Highbury Corner, get him in the party ASAP.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Back in 2014 or so but at the Green Party conference she hosted a panel on marginalised women (which had no trans women on, but I don't think she had a choice given there was also a sex worker) and the sex worker specifically called her out for being a SWERF and she did the "my ideology trumps your lived experience" meme but more politely.

lol of course. Sigh.

Just found out there's a Scottish Leaders debate on the Beeb tonight, so that's magnificently well advertised. Oddly the Greens aren't putting up Patrick Harvie but are putting up co-leader Lorna Slater. Nowt against her, just surprised as she doesn't really have the experience that Harvie has. Hopefully she's up to the task.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Tesseraction posted:

That won't help. They're as bad if not worse.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

North London independence when

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

not to :can: here but regarding this meme specifically: dont we agree that ideology often DOES trump lived experience? e.g. if the relative of a murder victim supported the death penalty. or if the victim of a crime committed by an ethnic minority wanted them to all go back where they came from. the whole anecdote / data issue.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Big 'At least when Biden makes concentration camps he does it nicely' energy from this post.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Why are coconut cream and creamed coconut and cream of coconut DIFFERENT THINGS FOR FUCKS SAKE

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I am ANGRY

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the joke is more that the same behaviour that the news will decry as unspeakable despotism is entirely cool and good when done by our brave boys. Not that tesseraction is actually wanting the US to liberate the UK.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1376787184661987329?s=20

I see they are going hell for leather on trying to smear NIP with anti-semitism claims, apparently someone asked if NIP would adopt the fundamentally flawed IHRA definitions (I don't see a response).
Also, wittering on about why haven't activists attacked an account (from a Jewish former poster ITT IIRC) for being anti-semitic when they're piling on Gnasher account being suspended.

I hope NIP wipe the floor with Labour I really do. Labour needs to be crushed so it can be rebuilt, and this continual smearing of anyone a bit left needs to stop.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

not to :can: here but regarding this meme specifically: dont we agree that ideology often DOES trump lived experience? e.g. if the relative of a murder victim supported the death penalty. or if the victim of a crime committed by an ethnic minority wanted them to all go back where they came from. the whole anecdote / data issue.

That's not what "lived experience" means, at all. Just to play along, the equivalent would be the victim of crime being told "Well actually no you were mugged by a white person".

Even if it *was* what this argument is about, your point is just the standard poo poo-for-brains "Aha, you want <good thing>, but other people want <bad thing>!" false equivalence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The more probable outcome is that the NIP become similar to the SNP, which is to say taking all possible anticapitalist grievances and translating them into "this is actually the fault of the perfidious southerner and all we need to do is get rid of them" with the practical effect of absolutely demolishing any probability of a unified left wing party.

They aren't going to stand aside for any other left wing party, that's not how parties work. If they get established they will simply become another grift to keep their leadership and MPs in a job while claiming they're doing everyone a favour.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's not what "lived experience" means, at all. Just to play along, the equivalent would be the victim of crime being told "Well actually no you were mugged by a white person".

Even if it *was* what this argument is about, your point is just the standard poo poo-for-brains "Aha, you want <good thing>, but other people want <bad thing>!" false equivalence.

It's Breath Ray.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

its just a point about the meme, which seems a bit 'weve had enough of experts' to me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^a victim of crime has lived experience in how it feels to be a victim of crime, not in the criminal justice system. You also seem to be confusing "ideology" with "empirical data". Finally, when you start posting definitions you have utterly lost the argument, this is a universal rule. Just stop it please

OwlFancier posted:

The more probable outcome is that the NIP become similar to the SNP, which is to say taking all possible anticapitalist grievances and translating them into "this is actually the fault of the perfidious southerner and all we need to do is get rid of them" with the practical effect of absolutely demolishing any probability of a unified left wing party.

They aren't going to stand aside for any other left wing party, that's not how parties work. If they get established they will simply become another grift to keep their leadership and MPs in a job while claiming they're doing everyone a favour.
There's been a tonne of left-wing national liberation movements over the centuries, some successful. The more typical outcome is achieving independence and then getting immediately overrun by liberals (sometimes violently (hi Ireland))

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1376787184661987329?s=20

I see they are going hell for leather on trying to smear NIP with anti-semitism claims, apparently someone asked if NIP would adopt the fundamentally flawed IHRA definitions (I don't see a response).
Also, wittering on about why haven't activists attacked an account (from a Jewish former poster ITT IIRC) for being anti-semitic when they're piling on Gnasher account being suspended.

I hope NIP wipe the floor with Labour I really do. Labour needs to be crushed so it can be rebuilt, and this continual smearing of anyone a bit left needs to stop.
C-NIP, I didn't even go as far as clicking this tweet to see the full picture, let alone following any of your social media myself, but, a word to the wise: don't get sued for defamation. Even if you're completely in the right, an angry litigant with deep pockets can completely bankrupt you.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 30, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Why are coconut cream and creamed coconut and cream of coconut DIFFERENT THINGS FOR FUCKS SAKE

Both will kill me, as will palm oil. Although with that I can detect from the smell and taste not only that it’s in there but in what quantity.

hotel chocolat Is at least 50% palm oil - if the ingredients don’t say this then trust me they are full of lies.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

kids status: alright

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/mar/30/turmoil-at-london-school-hit-by-flag-and-hairstyle-row

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Breath Ray posted:

its just a point about the meme, which seems a bit 'weve had enough of experts' to me

Yes, slogans can sometimes mean different things when suddenly transplanted to vastly different contexts. If the source of "we've had enough of experts" was someone in the 19th century talking about their race being called inferior by phrenologists, then it may have been good. If "pro-choice" was a movement to let the prime minister choose which constituencies got to vote next election that would be bad. Things are good when they are good and not good when they are bad

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Breath Ray posted:

my lived experience is that you suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lt. Danger posted:

my lived experience is that you suck
*undertakes empirical analysis* checks out