Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Answers Me posted:

Covid causing the leagues to do away with proper matchdays has killed my interesting in listening to any of the weekly roundup pods. At least a third of what they talk about is out of date by the time I get to it, so I've lost interest in keeping up.

So... what are good general football podcasts that don't centre around 'here's what happened on the weekend'?

I've been listening to Football Cliches from The Athletic over the last week or so. Some of the guests are a little smug (Michael Cox is on a few of them) but it's generally pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

psyer posted:

The Ornstein and Chapman Podcast: Mark Chapman and David Ornstein and some Athletic writers go over a featured article in the Athletic and cover some news and goings on in football and sometime something Arsenal related. On the same feed, Business of Sport podcast, where Mark Chapman and Matt Slater cover a couple of topic that focuses on the business side of sport.

Set Piece Menu: Hugh Farris, Steven Wyeth, Rory Smith, and Andy Hinchcliffe tries to have a longer discussion about a topic that is going on football.

These sound great, cheers!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know what to make of mark langdon. He is such a weirdo

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Just want to add that similar to the above poster, the fact that football is every day and pods become out of date almost immediately, and that my commute is from the bedroom to the living room, means the time I used to have for daily football pods is gone. And we’ve done the Ramble talk to death, but the one pod I WOULD make time for to listen to doesn’t exist anymore.

For non-day to day football chatter, can I highly recommend Nessun Dorma? They’re an 80s and 90s topics focused pod, a bit amateur in terms of production but three football journos discussing various topics is fun. They’ve done group by group analysis of World Cups 86, 98, and covered various teams in their peak eras, so just done the 98 Arsenal side, Everton in the 80s, the Danish 84-86 side etc. They’re about three seasons deep now so should have a topic for you to try.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

oliwan posted:

I don't know what to make of mark langdon. He is such a weirdo

He was good in Little House on the Prairie, Highway to Heaven was a bit meh

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I have to say the fella that has taken over from Lee Price of PaddyPower in reading the odds on TTFS is 10000000% better

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
gently caress paddy Power, and gently caress them spamming me with loads of ads for 'crouch on the couch', which apparently is a Peter crouch podcast about loving Cheltenham?!

Also gently caress Peter Crouch as well, as if he needs that Paddy Power money.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Raffles posted:

I have to say the fella that has taken over from Lee Price of PaddyPower in reading the odds on TTFS is 10000000% better

Oh wow, have they updated that? It used to be Producer Ben having an obvious not live phone call with Lee Price, then it was just Lee Price wasn’t it?

Bookmaking is a weird one. I have a few week on accumulators every Saturday, and win ten or twenty quid now and again for some cans from the offie. However the overwhelming saturation of bookmakers in all aspects of football is just too much. I realise these podcasts require sponsorship and it’s nothing I can’t skip with reasonable ease, but it’s probably the dirtiest money you can legally accept in this current day and age, unless advertising cigarettes was legalised.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Britain is a broken society and the fact the it has totally normalised gambling and betting is a huge symptom of this.

Actually, 'normalised" is even too soft a word, betting companies have now so thoroughly propagandised the populace that it's almost viewed as part of football, i.e. you can't enjoy it without a "cheeky punt" or whatever.

Never forget that betting and gambling are core tenets of capitalism and that it is therefore not surprising it is what it is in the UK. It destroys communities, destroys lives, and every bet widens the gap between rich and poor. Bookmakers add nothing to the world, they only relentlessly take, no matter how "fun" they market themselves to be like paddy power.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

oliwan posted:

Britain is a broken society and the fact the it has totally normalised gambling and betting is a huge symptom of this.

Actually, 'normalised" is even too soft a word, betting companies have now so thoroughly propagandised the populace that it's almost viewed as part of football, i.e. you can't enjoy it without a "cheeky punt" or whatever.

Never forget that betting and gambling are core tenets of capitalism and that it is therefore not surprising it is what it is in the UK. It destroys communities, destroys lives, and every bet widens the gap between rich and poor. Bookmakers add nothing to the world, they only relentlessly take, no matter how "fun" they market themselves to be like paddy power.

Yep. It's loving gross OP and is part of the reason I refuse to pay for Sky Sports, not going to give them money to shove lovely gambling adverts in my face and contribute to a disgusting business.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

oliwan posted:

Agreed completely, all the big bookmakers now graduating from grimy betting shops filling the gaps in the high street to blanket advertising over every element of football media and that it's both fun and that you, the intelligent football fan would be stupid not to.

I also hate 'When the fun stops, stop' - just reinforces the idea of the fun of betting without mentioning that you will almost definitely come out with less money than you started.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao Sunderland won the EFT Trophy or whatever.

Looking forward to Wilson on FW this week.

Edit: also Wilson's write up is good.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol at Barry pronouncing Ponzi scheme like "ponzai".

One of the bizarre things about him is actually that he's constantly pronouncing names and other words wrong... while at the same time relentlessly correcting Max's pronunciation of irish names lol

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Sunder-Land.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Looking forward to Wilson on FW this week.

That was really touching.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mickolution posted:

That was really touching.

Yeah :smith:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Fantastic football weekly. I loved the way they rallied around JW.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol at max in today's pod earnestly asking whether the formation matters to players

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
:lol:

https://twitter.com/MarcusBean/status/1298876961427722241

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Haha, I love it. Beanos a good lad.

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011
Enjoying 'off the hook with jimmy bullard'. The diversions to talk about whatever fish theyre catching dont work at all with audio only but the stories good

hermyownee
Jun 5, 2011
Sponsored by betting ofc

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Perfect Element posted:

Haha, I love it. Beanos a good lad.

The HAND OF BEAN is a tremendous name

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lars being the one on Football Weekly who knows about Twitch and then dropping Hearts of Iron and CK3 references on the pod essentially confirms he’s a lurker here, no?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

harperdc posted:

Lars being the one on Football Weekly who knows about Twitch and then dropping Hearts of Iron and CK3 references on the pod essentially confirms he’s a lurker here, no?

He also tried to convince Jonathan Wilson to be a Twitch streamer as he can get money from it.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

harperdc posted:

I don't know what hearts of Iron or CK3 is op, but I do know that Lars would be a d&d poster if he posted here

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

harperdc posted:

He also asks a lot of questions by suffixing them with, "no?". A bit like you just did, forums poster "harperdc".

Hm.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

harperdc posted:

Could be NeoGAF or Resetera or Three Moves Ahead or whatever as well.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another classic barry pronunciation of Lewandowski in today's pod lol

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some real boomer vibes from barney and Barry tonight

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Listening to this week's pod and of course lars gets breakfast from subway lol

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Jimbo on the the totally football show this week reads out a tweet.

Go too 22:40

https://www.thetotallyfootballshow....occer-football/

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

Jimbo on the the totally football show this week reads out a tweet.

Go too 22:40

https://www.thetotallyfootballshow....occer-football/

Haha, that's great.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Listening to yesterday's pod:

Barry Glendenning posted:

I always work on the assumption that people who have amassed billions of pounds are very clever and know what they are doing at all times

cringe

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Don't sign your posts

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

oliwan posted:

Listening to yesterday's pod:

cringe

When it comes to money he's bang on. These cunts havnt amassed billions by making dumb financial decisions.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

CyberPingu posted:

When it comes to money he's bang on. These cunts havnt amassed billions by making dumb financial decisions.

lmao, how do these posts still exist in tyool 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

oliwan posted:

lmao, how do these posts still exist in tyool 2021

I don't think we need a running commentary on your own posting tbh

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Billionaires can make loads of bad financial decisions and still become even bigger billionaires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sassassin posted:

Billionaires can make loads of bad financial decisions and still become even bigger billionaires.

Yes that's also true.