Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Chin Strap posted:

No kids means no more item info mod for now. Oh well. Im gonna start off with a fresh save slot I think.

It will be interesting. I tried some daily's recently after not playing for years and it's tricky recognizing all the items and remembering what they do. This game has gotten so massive and that's about to double.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A lot of the new content is apparently mid/late game so if you start a fresh save file be prepared for there to be a bit of a wait before you can really dive into the meat of the DLC.
I'm glad they learned their lesson from Afterbirth+ that the DLC stuff should be integrated into the game's unlock progression instead of just barfing a ton of overpowered enemies onto a new player's fresh save because they have the DLC installed.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well godspeed people. I won't be able to play this one 12 hours a day for the next few weeks with all of you. Maybe just a play a day if I'm lucky. Hopefully I won't get spoiled on anything. New addition to the family I guess gets more attention.

Also, from that FAQ, lame that the reason is that they don't want to do 32 bit support.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Augus posted:

A lot of the new content is apparently mid/late game so if you start a fresh save file be prepared for there to be a bit of a wait before you can really dive into the meat of the DLC.

All good. I've put in ~600 hours at this point so I'm not in a hurry.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

playing complete save on pc at launch i might get the console version later to start fresh

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Definitely playing on my "complete"(got the million percent achievement somehow without getting dad's ring!) file. I want to do what I've acquired in Isaac up till now, then all the new stuff is Repentance. I feel like having to grind the old stuff again would mess up the experience a bit.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Decided to play one last Eden run before I install Redemption tomorrow. Started with an atrocious build but managed to claw my way to a Mega Satan / Delirium kill combo. Risked it all in the depths by using Void to absorb the crooked penny and managed to massively inflate my stats. Just to top things off I decided to kill the rest of the bosses in The Void and my last boss was Mr. Fred :v:

What a suitable ending

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm going in fresh. If I start to get bored or frustrated, I'll download a pre-Repentance 100% file. It's been two years since I played it regular, it'll be cool to see how the game feels as a from-scratch product with all the new tweaks and changes.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'd love to start fresh, but my completed save took ~300 hours and I don't have that kind of time anymore. I'm old!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

drat it, Steam is saying it won't unlock until midnight PST.

Laaaaaame.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'd love to start fresh, but my completed save took ~300 hours and I don't have that kind of time anymore. I'm old!

I'm in the same boat. I just don't have the desire or time to get allllllll the unlocks again. Filling out post it notes with any new characters (and old ones if any entries are added), unlocking items, doing the new challenges, etc. is plenty of new content for me.

That being said, 1.5 hours to go! I'm excited.

Edit: Mr. mcMuffin has released a list of all the changes in Repentance from AB+. DON'T READ THIS IF YOU WANT TO DISCOVER ALL THE CHANGES ON YOUR OWN!

There are quite a few big changes in here that will probably be fun to discover on your own, so really, read at your own risk.: https://steamcommunity.com/games/250900/announcements/detail/3007816130302381984

Edit edit: I should note that these are only changes to existing content and new gameplay features. This document does not appear to spoil what any of the new content is, but it does say how much of it there is (e.g. there are x new items, but not what the new items are).

vvv :D

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 31, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

That pill sucks, dude

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Years ago, I thought I’d escaped this game’s hold on me... but goddammit I’m pretty hype

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It's out!!!!

this is a new game holy poo poo

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Even though this update removed most of my unlocks and progress on most of my characters (exactly like the AB and AB+ release), this is such a major upgrade. For every design decision I disagree with, there's like 10 where I'm like "woah, this is fantastic". I keep picking up garbage items to see what they do now, and every time I get positively surprised, the Scissors are actually good now.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Even though this update removed most of my unlocks and progress on most of my characters (exactly like the AB and AB+ release), this is such a major upgrade. For every design decision I disagree with, there's like 10 where I'm like "woah, this is fantastic". I keep picking up garbage items to see what they do now, and every time I get positively surprised, the Scissors are actually good now.

This is how I'm feeling. There's a few things I don't like but the stuff I do like is outpacing it. Good! I feel like I'm getting better items on average.

I won as Lazarus on hard mode to get Bethany. Now I am playing the Keeper cause I heard they tweaked him to be more fun. And he's way more enjoyable so far! Died on Mom due to bad tears rate.

First Bethany run ruined by item that takes all your health except one slice at the start of the floor. drat it!! I had Sacred Heart and a full megasatan key too. I hate how when the floor is black on dank depths I can't see some of the shots or spiders coming at me and those teleporting black blob shooter things are as stupid as ever!! Don't quite understand her gimmick but I'll eventually know it. Book seemed to stack on top of other book? And blue things? Should have used them. Oh well.

I feel like overall on average I am getting better items. Small sample size though.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 31, 2021

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Holy poo poo, I am loving this new Curse of the Maze.

For anyone who hasn't seen it: Instead of moving you around the level, it moves the rooms, kind of transplanting them in the place of other rooms.

edit: wtf it's not doing that anymore

was it some other effect? But I had the curse... I'm so confused and disappointed

John Lee fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 31, 2021

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

John Lee posted:

Holy poo poo, I am loving this new Curse of the Maze.

For anyone who hasn't seen it: Instead of moving you around the level, it moves the rooms, kind of transplanting them in the place of other rooms.

edit: wtf it's not doing that anymore

was it some other effect? But I had the curse... I'm so confused and disappointed

It's always done this.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Anyone having trouble importing save files? I tried setting SteamCloud=0 in options.ini for all games and setting it off in Steam but it's persistently giving me "Failed to import" regardless.

Guess I could always start a new file, but I'd like to see this work.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
My 100% complete ("Two Save Files to Go!") file was on a modded save and it's disappeared into Steam's memory hole, so I said "gently caress it" and started from scratch.

My first run had a Magic Mushroom in the first item room, plus several tear ups from bosses and subsequent item rooms. Then I made the same mistake Kawalimus did and took an unfamiliar devil deal. A sure victory isn't quite so sure when you start each floor with only got a single hit period.

:negative:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I went to the "stats" menu and pressted alt+F2 to import all the data from steam achievements. I still don't have the completion marks or AB+ challenges marked as completed, but all the AB+ characters and items I had unlocked are back

edit: i'm pretty sure the buffed sacred heart, which is absolutely insane, because the homing feels more like brain worm than spoon bender

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 31, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Curse of Darkness is just TOTAL cheap garbage now. When mods are reenabled I might get one that takes it out of the game. Tried an Isaac run and got CoD FOUR FLOORS IN A ROW to start, and was killed by small black spiders in the mines that I couldn't even see coming till they were right in my little circle of vision. Stupid. It was already a bad curse that added nothing, now worse. Worse than curse of the lost I'd even say.

Also another negative thing is they nerfed Steam Sale+Restock. Why? That was always a lot of fun. Had a chaos run with both of those that got dampened by the item price doubling after each purchase. Stupid! Wonder if this is only the case on Hard mode? I wouldn't mind it as much if so.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 31, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
nancy bombs are so cool
its like getting small tastes of all the wacky new bombs in repentance

also i never cared much for the soundtrack of this game, but i really dig downpour's theme

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Kawalimus posted:

Also another negative thing is they nerfed Steam Sale+Restock. Why? That was always a lot of fun. Had a chaos run with both of those that got dampened by the item price doubling after each purchase. Stupid! Wonder if this is only the case on Hard mode? I wouldn't mind it as much if so.

They nerfed game-breaking hard, because it's not part of Ed's vision. From what I've read, he wants game-breaking to be a rare and deliberate occasion that requires four items. Part of the on-going balancing of the game will be identifying unforseen game-breaking synergies and possibly nerfing them if they require three items or less.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This might as well be Isaac 2

Goddamn

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

They nerfed game-breaking hard, because it's not part of Ed's vision. From what I've read, he wants game-breaking to be a rare and deliberate occasion that requires four items. Part of the on-going balancing of the game will be identifying unforseen game-breaking synergies and possibly nerfing them if they require three items or less.

Yeah I've always had major philosophical differences with the creator about what difficulty in a game should be like. So naturally a lot of the things here I don't like are about difficulty.

Another thing to mod in eventually: The original Mausoleum track. Way way way better than this one which sucks. I never even played antibirth. Downpour is really good though I agree with the other poster. Unlocked "Dross". Will be interesting to see what that's like.

Ok that's it for this morning. I'll play more again later! Overall I'm loving it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I dunno if it's just my eyesight, but I find Downpour quite hard to parse visually. I think it's just the colour theme extending to the enemies, and the reflections - but it feels awkward to quickly read visually when there's a lot of enemies or bullets onscreen.

Fun as hell though.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I dunno if it's just my eyesight, but I find Downpour quite hard to parse visually. I think it's just the colour theme extending to the enemies, and the reflections - but it feels awkward to quickly read visually when there's a lot of enemies or bullets onscreen.

Fun as hell though.

I'm having this problem also, and other visual issues with a few things in the game. I was Dark Judas in a mob trap room and just couldn't follow him with my eyes at all while I moved around the room and focused on enemies. And of course curse of darkness is *AWFUL* as mentioned.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Does anyone know when the alternate stages start unlocking? Started a new file and I want to know far I have to get before I see them.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Does anyone know when the alternate stages start unlocking? Started a new file and I want to know far I have to get before I see them.

They are already unlocked, they are doors that pop up when you defeat boss

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There doesn't seem to be an option to actually purchase on the repentance page on steam, am i being dumb?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
So many hours are about to vanish from everything else in the world, even if a fair chunk of that is likely just reviving the tradition of watching Lethalfrag relaxingly pour through the game when not playing outright.

Youtube is going to be absolutely inundated this time around from all corners probably compared to the prior big updates.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
i dont have afterbirth+, should i still get it or avoid due to the mixed reviews?

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
repentance requires all the prior dlc

edit: and it's for this reason that it doesn't show up normally in the steam store, but instead in a package with all the other dlc

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

err posted:

i dont have afterbirth+, should i still get it or avoid due to the mixed reviews?

Get it, you need it to play this

Never understood why that's mixed

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 31, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

repentance is good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

They are already unlocked, they are doors that pop up when you defeat boss

They are not unlocked from the start if you start a fresh file.
The achievement for it says "Complete ??? 3 times." I'm guessing they mean the ??? Floor, so beating Hush 3 times.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It had a ...contentious... launch.

They changed the coin sound to the flash game one !

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013

ExiledTinkerer posted:

So many hours are about to vanish from everything else in the world, even if a fair chunk of that is likely just reviving the tradition of watching Lethalfrag relaxingly pour through the game when not playing outright.

Youtube is going to be absolutely inundated this time around from all corners probably compared to the prior big updates.

New save file again like with every expansion. I still watch LethalFrag too. Love that beardy dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It was gradually improved post-launch through booster packs, but the initial AB+ launch made the game a real slog.