Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

bedpan posted:

from the outside looking in, and this is assuming Starmer is not literally a paid agent of the security services, is that Starmer thinks his job is to be the top manager of the labor party. Again, he thinks of his job as managing the labor party, not electoral success, reform, or even becoming PM.

He is a well credentialed modern aristocrat with the right friends and the right frame of mind. The system and the government are not his enemies, he wouldn't even see anything in need of reform, because he himself is a product of that same system and as a career high level manager in the government. A symptom of western hierarchical administrations, and he has fully imbibed these judging by his career, is that while the high level people must project an image, responsibility is in the hands of the worker. It is not Keir's responsibility to win; it is his responsibility to manage. The doing is accomplished or not accomplished by other people.

hmm. also he's a sweaty ham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

tyvm

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

bedpan posted:

from the outside looking in, and this is assuming Starmer is not literally a paid agent of the security services, is that Starmer thinks his job is to be the top manager of the labor party. Again, he thinks of his job as managing the labor party, not electoral success, reform, or even becoming PM.

He is a well credentialed modern aristocrat with the right friends and the right frame of mind. The system and the government are not his enemies, he wouldn't even see anything in need of reform, because he himself is a product of that same system and as a career high level manager in the government. A symptom of western hierarchical administrations, and he has fully imbibed these judging by his career, is that while the high level people must project an image, responsibility is in the hands of the worker. It is not Keir's responsibility to win; it is his responsibility to manage. The doing is accomplished or not accomplished by other people.

Yeah, in the d&d thread, we sometimes refer to him as the loyal Opposition for the same reasons: he's an Establishment figure who can't conceive of any other way of doing politics than accepting the current power balance and working within the existing system. Actually having the fierce ambition to replace the current government and do things differently is awfully disruptive and just not the thing to do, from his perspective.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/30/britons-in-france-could-lose-driving-licences-due-to-post-brexit-impasse

quote:

Thousands of British citizens in France have been left without a valid driving licence, or face losing theirs within months, because of bureaucratic overload and the failure of the two countries’ governments to sign a post-Brexit reciprocal agreement.

quote:

Some British drivers are already running out of patience. Glen Rodger, a 57-year-old self-employed builder, moved to west-central France two years ago and applied to exchange his restricted three-year licence – he has diabetes – in November.

“I waited until six weeks before it expired, like I was told,” Rodger said. “It was supposed to take three weeks. And now it’s expired, as of 20 January, and there’s no new applications. I’ve been told I can’t drive, and obviously I’m not insured.”

Rodger estimates the delay has cost him at least €3,000 in lost work. “And real inconvenience,” he said. “We’re 6km or 7km from the nearest shops; an hour from the hospital. My wife has to drive, and she’s been ill. It feels like we’ve been sacrificed.”

Oh no, poor glen :(

Can you imagine if glen had voted leave before moving to france? And posted online about how remainers were only worried about how brexit affected them and didn't care about anyone else?

haha wouldn't that be funny

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
He's right tbh, a vote for remain was a vote for the status quo which a lot of people weren't (and still aren't) happy with. It's why it took off as a protest vote.

Of course this also required enough bullshit artists saying that it would be better but that's besides the point.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, in the d&d thread, we sometimes refer to him as the loyal Opposition for the same reasons: he's an Establishment figure who can't conceive of any other way of doing politics than accepting the current power balance and working within the existing system. Actually having the fierce ambition to replace the current government and do things differently is awfully disruptive and just not the thing to do, from his perspective.

Part of the problem is that NewNewLabour can't articulate a vision of the future that isn't "basically the same as what we have now, but with us in charge"

It's why they'll never go too hard at Tory corruption in a meaningful way because in reality they want to do all that poo poo themselves (and I suspect Keith has made some promises to rich people already in exchange for donations)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Better Things Aren't Possible as a hill to die on is a hell of a thing.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

https://twitter.com/AddyAdelaine/status/1377123927034535951

tired: institutional racism
wired: a wide range of complex social issues (centered on racial lines)

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

it dont matter posted:

“My wife has to drive, and she’s been ill. It feels like we’ve been sacrificed.”

Sacrificed upon the altar of Brexit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol can't be saying anything bad about capitalism

https://twitter.com/shirleymush/status/1377166835477401600?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:ughh:

https://twitter.com/aarjanistan/status/1377214384339050506?s=20
https://twitter.com/MarshadeCordova/status/1377218433931169800?s=20
https://twitter.com/piss_wizard/status/1377163284902670337?s=20

Jose has issued a correction as of 12:28 on Mar 31, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
look, the government put a team of their top racists on the job to determine if are britane is racist or not, so the results are obviously beyond reproach

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

look, the government put a team of their top racists on the job to determine if are britane is racist or not, so the results are obviously beyond reproach

the person who made the report https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Sewell#Controversies

meanwhile in kieth news. the apology was to kieth personally

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1376915517525655556?s=20

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

meanwhile in kieth news. the apology was to kieth personally

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1376915517525655556?s=20

Saw this yesterday and did a huge lol. Please like us, business

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Report: we should focus more on the positive aspects of slavery, as well as on the reasons for failure embedded in the cultures of the minorities. Ergo, there is no institutional racism.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"Sewell's parents arrived in London in the 1950s from Jamaica"

:thunk:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

this racism report is loving psycho poo poo

im 7 pages in and man... the UK is so much more disgusting than the US to me in the way we operate, check this out.

the intro talks about people they interviewed, from the sounds of it everyone said poo poo was awful but they just say they are wrong.

quote:

The word mistrust was repeated often as some witnesses from the police service, mental health,
education and health services felt that the system was not on their side. Once we interrogated
the data we did find some evidence of biases, but often it was a perception that the wider
society could not be trusted.

For some groups historic experience of racism still haunts the
present and there was a reluctance to acknowledge that the UK had become open and fairer.

this is something like 3 pages in and they already can't help but talk about white people and how they're important too

quote:

Another revelation from our dive into the data was just how stuck some groups from the White
majority are. As a result, we came to the view that recommendations should, wherever possible,
be designed to remove obstacles for everyone, rather than specific groups

--IDEOLOGY ALERT!--
then we start to get the real ideology: society doesnt exist

quote:

As our investigations
proceeded, we increasingly felt that an unexplored approach to closing disparity gaps was to
examine the extent individuals and their communities could help themselves through their own
agency, rather than wait for invisible external forces to assemble to do the job.

and this ...

quote:

Poet and activist Linton Kwesi Johnson describes the early mass Black presence in the UK as
having 2 phases or eras.
The first was the 1950s Windrush arrival from the Caribbean, this he
called the ‘heroic’ period, when literally doors were closed in the faces of the new Black settlers
who heroically battled in the face of adversity.
The children of those settlers, my generation, who
came of age in the 1970s and 1980s he calls the ‘rebel’ generation, this featured running battles
with police and a breakdown in community relations, which continues to have a negative legacy.

The spirit of rebellion continued last summer during the Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests. This
was a revolt that engulfed the world. We have to acknowledge the spirit of BLM was the original
trigger for our report.

fwiw this is childish nonsense historically but its ominous ideologically
the young generation of black carribeans are rebels who break down community relations and have a negative legacy
they are pitted against the police and its by their own choice as inherently destructive vandals

those last quotes i think are the crux of the report so far, its a denial that systemic racism can exist because its just individuals making decisions. and simultaneously a cassus belli for more police power and persecution of young black people.

--

whats interesting is that singling out of the carribeans continues, in an amazing bit of britishness, singling out carribeans v africans is used as evidence against racism

quote:

We have found that
some ethnic minorities have been able to ‘participate’ better than others. We were impressed
by the ‘immigrant optimism’ of some of the new African communities. They are among the new
high achievers in our education system. As their Caribbean peers sit in the same classrooms, it
is difficult to blame racism in education for the latter’s underachievement

and their solution for police outreach is literally loving stop and search! again using this report to justify more police powers against black communities, total loving british psycho hour

quote:

The police need to demonstrate that they are truly a more welcoming organisation and Black
communities need to overcome the legacy of mistrust. We have put forward recommendations
that will hopefully bridge this gap. Our findings on Black youth homicide are distressing reading,
with young Black men 24 times more likely to die of homicide than their White counterparts. It is
this data that has led us to supporting a reconceptualised idea of stop and search.

and they keep adding more stuff about whitey

quote:

We have spoken in
this report about how the UK is open to all its communities. But we are acutely aware that the
door may be only half open to some, including the White working class."

aaaaand loving statues

quote:

Neither the banning of White authors or token expressions of
Black achievement will help to broaden young minds. We have argued against bringing down
statues, instead, we want all children to reclaim their British heritage.

its worth remembering that the metropolitan police have been repeatedly found to be institutionally racist, they get around that by redefining institutional racism until it can no longer exist outside nazi germany and apartheid

quote:

However, we have argued for the use of the term ‘institutional racism’ to
be applied only when deep-seated racism can be proven on a systemic level and not be used
as a general catch-all phrase for any microaggression, witting or unwitting.

they also specifically want to de-decolonise the history curriculum

quote:

There is a new story about the Caribbean experience which speaks to
the slave period not only being about profit and suffering but how culturally African people
transformed themselves into a re-modelled African/Britain.

its basically a total rejection of BLM and those communities in order to propagandise about the new order: pro-statue police state

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"im not racist! im not racist!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a gammon.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

MikeCrotch posted:

Also, was listening to Trashfuture last night and they were talking about the Democrats can be embarrassing but they don't *despise* their own voters like the Labour right do

Like Ash Sarkar had a great point once that Keith & co act genuinely embarrassed about that fact that the core of their vote is young people and ethnic minorities who live in cities an have progressive views. All they want to is to desperately seek the approval of puce faced small business owners in the Birmingham suburbs like they're the nerdy kids at school who pretends to not know the other nerds so he can suck up to the bullies, while not getting that the bullies loving hate him either way.

Ah, a simple mistake - they skimmed a history of Napoleon and concluded that 18 Brummies are the key to seizing power.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the 2012 olympics have completely melted the brains of most of this poo poo country

https://twitter.com/Nadine_Writes/status/1377231110791385094?s=20

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
My 'I'm not racist' report has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my report.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the report could have been the usual whitewash (lol) that these things are but they decided to go out of their way to make it even worse with "slavery may have killed a lot of people, but it also means we're multicultural now, so, it;s impossible to say if it was bad or not"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/peachlux_/status/1377228231330430978?s=20

https://twitter.com/thirdmanuk/status/1377229568403238918?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is who the labour right think needs to be more high profile

https://twitter.com/benphillips76/status/1377209293909417987?s=20

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

fwiw this is childish nonsense historically but its ominous ideologically
the young generation of black carribeans are rebels who break down community relations and have a negative legacy
they are pitted against the police and its by their own choice as inherently destructive vandals

--

whats interesting is that singling out of the carribeans continues, in an amazing bit of britishness, singling out carribeans v africans is used as evidence against racism

suddenly I understand why I felt bad vibes from that one Specials song from a couple of years ago about how young Black Caribbean folks in Britain are actually bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZYgW0Hgc4

it's a pity, because they had a really good song about BLM on that same album too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgu_mexOpww

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The BBC article on the report is pretty funny.

BBC: Race report: 'UK not deliberately rigged against ethnic minorities'

I especially like this portion in the introduction:

BBC posted:

The UK "no longer" has a system rigged against people from ethnic minorities, a review set up by No 10 says.

The Commission on Race and Ethnic Disparities said family structure and social class had a bigger impact than race on how people's lives turned out.

It's no longer the case that a rich black person will be treated worse than the poorest white person, hence racism solved.

Then again it's coming from No 10 so really what else could anyone possibly expect as a conclusion.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

'deliberately' seems to be doing a bit of work in that sentence

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Yes it's only racism if you're shouting slurs while you deny mortgage, job, and school applications disproportionately for black people.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Now that the Tories have stated that is class which is the problem I'm sure they'll go right ahead on fixing that

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

V. Illych L. posted:

'deliberately' seems to be doing a bit of work in that sentence

it does but it's only in the headline

anyway from the bits quoted earlier this in particular stood out to me:

the report posted:

We have found that
some ethnic minorities have been able to ‘participate’ better than others. We were impressed
by the ‘immigrant optimism’ of some of the new African communities. They are among the new
high achievers in our education system. As their Caribbean peers sit in the same classrooms, it
is difficult to blame racism in education for the latter’s underachievement

a literal 'one of the good ones' reasoning in government investigation into structural racism, that's pretty impressive

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

How it's going, part 234098 in a continuing series

And

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-...-at-manchester/

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lmao keir stammer stammering a both sides take on the report. "well, they acknowledged that racism is a word, which is good, but then they said it isnt real, which is slightly disappointing"

im "disappointed" when my chips are soggy. its not exactly the word id use for the contender for most racist empire in history releasing its official findings that the almost-humans just need to bootstrap harder or whatever the gently caress

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jose posted:

Now that the Tories have stated that is class which is the problem I'm sure they'll go right ahead on fixing that
Clarification: A lack of class and refinement is holding people back.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i had no idea Nick Clegg works for Facebook now lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

huh weird :clegg:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

nick clegg is probably one of the best encapsulations of a political era that i know

regan maybe too, but pudding brain doesn’t really translate as much

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, the UK coming out with a report that “racism doesn’t exist” is an fairly equal mix of insane and humorous. It is like watching someone saying glass is nutritious and then start chomping down on a champagne flute.

They Tories are going to around until 2028 at minimum aren’t they?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, the UK coming out with a report that “racism doesn’t exist” is an fairly equal mix of insane and humorous.

They Tories are going to around until 2028 at minimum aren’t they?

Without the appearance of serious violence or secession yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

namesake posted:

Without the appearance of serious violence or secession yes.

Oh no