Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Rarity posted:

No because they'd all come to Bristol to take Arr Jobs :argh:
We already do that because there's no jobs in Wales

e: there are actually 167 jobs, mostly at the DVLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The last couple of pages my god, what the gently caress are you nerds shiteing on about.

Thanks for reminding me that Guto Bebb is a Star Wars name tho

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

In some rare good news, it turns out the UK officially isn’t racist:

https://twitter.com/halima_begum/status/1377149972680908802?s=21

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Please do not destroy Wales

Saith has convinced me,. We should destroy Wales. Or perhaps make them. Totally independent just for a laugh, see what happens.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Sure glad I read the last few pages of this thread, jfc.

I feel like it should be an obligation of the thread regs to not engage in lengthy, protracted personal arguments with idiot
randoms, for the sake of all of us

This also means you can't argue with me.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Noxville posted:

quote:

The language contained in the precis appears to mirror much of the thinking of Munira Mirza, the head of the Downing Street policy unit, who is seen as a particular influence on Boris Johnson on race and other cultural issues. Mirza, who oversaw the appointment of the commission panel, is a longtime and outspoken critic of previous government attempts to tackle structural factors behind racial inequality.

the RCP at it again

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I live in a constituency that has never in my lifetime returned a Tory MP, in a region that in my life has never returned a Tory MP (well, Danny Alexander...), in a country that has never in my 36 years returned a majority of Tory MPs. And yet here I am, having spent 2/3rd of it with Tory governments.

Britannia delenda est

I think it's very possible in am independent Scotland that we would return a Tory majority. I live in David Mundells constituency and obviously there are a lot of Tory voters but there's a huge amount of parochial attitude amongst the SNP voters that really fosters conservativism. The number one talking point in the village just now is youths up to now good! With the bonus conservative trope that trouble comes from abroad in the theory that it's teenagers driving here from a town 20 miles away to cause trouble.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Good luck destroying Wales, losers

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Good luck destroying Wales, losers

This is good for at least 100 psychic damage to Wales.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aramoro posted:

I think it's very possible in am independent Scotland that we would return a Tory majority. I live in David Mundells constituency and obviously there are a lot of Tory voters but there's a huge amount of parochial attitude amongst the SNP voters that really fosters conservativism. The number one talking point in the village just now is youths up to now good! With the bonus conservative trope that trouble comes from abroad in the theory that it's teenagers driving here from a town 20 miles away to cause trouble.

To be fair, I'm not sure a village in the borders is particularly representative of attitudes in the Central Belt, which is where any Scottish government makeup will be decided. That said, yeah, it's absolutely a possibility. It still wouldn't be a regular occurrence though, which it has been in the wider UK. I'm done with it.

At least independence is a vague hope of getting free from Tory governance, which is enough. Coz there sure as poo poo ain't no hope staying wedded to the Cotswolds and Essex.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

CoolCab posted:

I treat it like it's a thread where we socialize, argue and articulate, not mount loving sinai where I might find the Correct opinions if only I can post badly enough.

lol

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have no loving idea what coolcab and saith are going on about and that's after I've read their posts.

Saith's posting ~normal except for the bit where they're not ignoring CoolCab already and thus are way too deep into the CoolCab Cinematic Universe.

CoolCab still can't stop doubling down on highly specific, bizarre racism they insist isn't racist because mocking other cultures as innately funny isn't racist in whatever alternate universe CoolCab's from. Also apparently you can't be leftist without being racist in the ways CoolCab is. It's like someone turned ideological feuds into a performance art piece.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
cool to see that "evaluating your positions in the light of other peoples arguments" consitutes an unhealthy mechanism for the perpetually-wrong galaxy brains that populate this thread

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shakespearean Beef posted:

cool to see that "evaluating your positions in the light of other peoples arguments" consitutes an unhealthy mechanism for the perpetually-wrong galaxy brains that populate this thread

We do evaluate our positions in the light of low-content shitposting, that's like seven eights of the thread.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
On a different subject, just been poking around on the Worldometer website and holy poo poo, the difference with Covid trends now between the Uk and the rest of Europe. While cases and deaths have been rapidly dropping away for weeks here, in most of Europe, they're visibly heading back into a new wave and a new lockdown (if they've ever come out of lockdown). It really shows the impact that the rapid rollout of the vaccine's had.

On current 7-day averages:

Uk: 4,960 new daily cases and 56 deaths.

Germany: 17,186 new daily cases and 160 deaths.
France: 34,332 new daily cases and 288 deaths.
Italy: 20,203 new daily cases and 429 deaths.

These figures are actually much worse than they look, 'cos the Uk is trending down, while the other countries are very visibly trending upwards. Christ, at least we've got the prospect of a reasonably normal summer to look forwards to.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Noxville posted:

i nearly snorted my coffee when i saw that headline. lmfao

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pistol_Pete posted:

On a different subject, just been poking around on the Worldometer website and holy poo poo, the difference with Covid trends now between the Uk and the rest of Europe. While cases and deaths have been rapidly dropping away for weeks here, in most of Europe, they're visibly heading back into a new wave and a new lockdown (if they've ever come out of lockdown). It really shows the impact that the rapid rollout of the vaccine's had.

On current 7-day averages:

Uk: 4,960 new daily cases and 56 deaths.

Germany: 17,186 new daily cases and 160 deaths.
France: 34,332 new daily cases and 288 deaths.
Italy: 20,203 new daily cases and 429 deaths.

These figures are actually much worse than they look, 'cos the Uk is trending down, while the other countries are very visibly trending upwards. Christ, at least we've got the prospect of a reasonably normal summer to look forwards to.

:smith:

Looking around here, the Dutch seem to be thinking "vaccine exists = woo it's over", although they are wearing masks at last.

hbag posted:

how is half 7 in the morning night crew

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

It's the changeover shift, when the first few hardworking day-posters sift through all the nightposts for anything worth salvage and/or ridicule, so that everyone else can get on with their posting without issue

I slept in today, dunno what everyone else's excuse is

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I'm willing to give NIP a chance, labour is basically a non-party right so I'll be throwing my vote away anyway.

I've voted Labour in every election since I've been able to vote and so have ~70% of people here and we're still ruled over by a bunch of brain worm having, eton going, pig fuckers. So I fully understand the desire for independence.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

nothing good is ever going to happen, the world is going to mostly die and a few lucky ones will be enserfed to maintain the billionaire compounds, all that remains is to laugh at the maximum chaos that occurs on the way to oblivion.

Can't help but feel this kinda fatalism is why the left loses so much. What happened to fighting?

Also, the view that 99%-100% of the world is going to 'die' is not mainstream environmental science. It's gonna be bad but the venus scenario is not prominent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

Can't help but feel this kinda fatalism is why the left loses so much. What happened to fighting?

Also, the view that 99%-100% of the world is going to 'die' is not mainstream environmental science. It's gonna be bad but the venus scenario is not prominent.

I'm going with the HG Wells scenario. Enjoy your cold comforts while you may, you Eloi fucks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I've recently come to realise that despair is actively counter-revolutionary

Thanks therapy!

Edit and also Disco Elysium lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saith posted:

Normally when I get into these arguments in this thread, someone (not you or Owlfancier obviously but like... the poster with the grommit avvy? if they still have it? or goddamntwisto maybe?) says something poignant and I have to step back and reevaluate my positions and where they come from.

That hasn't happened yet.

"Nobody's explained to me why my posting is bad this time" isn't actually that solid a foundation to build on, you know?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tesseraction posted:

I assume dunk in Scotslish is more like "donk" like "aye he was proper donkin' on'im"

which means you know what TIME IT IS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckMvj1piK58

it's also short for duncan :shrug:

what in the pink gently caress happened to this thread last night

biglads posted:

We are heading towards Full Yugoslavia, brb gonna learn the accordion.

until covid times at least there was an auld fella on royal avenue in belfast who'd been playing hava nagila on one for at least 20 years, so maybe just learn the one song

you'll need strong arms if you choose that particular song though because gradually increasing tempo is its whole thing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

biglads posted:

We are heading towards Full Yugoslavia, brb gonna learn the accordion.

UKslavia

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

crispix posted:

it's also short for duncan :shrug:

what in the pink gently caress happened to this thread last night

until covid times at least there was an auld fella on royal avenue in belfast who'd been playing hava nagila on one for at least 20 years, so maybe just learn the one song

you'll need strong arms if you choose that particular song though because gradually increasing tempo is its whole thing

Jesus.. after 20 years of playing it he must be down to 4 beats per nanosecond. That takes really strong arms.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/BWhytelaw/status/1237061781631258624

crispix posted:

Bet you could play a good version of match of the day on it in a minor key.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wanna hear that accordion YMCA cover

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I thought I'd had a stroke, switching on BBC news and a star trek science officer was going on about racism in the UK. Tell me about it, no one trusts us Romulans.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/BWhytelaw/status/1237061781631258624

Bet you could play a good version of match of the day on it in a minor key.

I like that tweet.

The commission delivering those results is almost as unexpected as the IOPC clearing the police of misconduct.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
me, applying the fifty-fourth coat of joker makeup to my face : this is gonna be the last time im the joker right

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/jimmfelton/status/1377187155290767361

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
I kinda do see a case for a country-wide alliance of localist, decidedly leftist parties that potentially could have a fighting chance against both the tories and the bloated shambling walking corpse that is Labour atm. Like if a bunch of X Independence Parties popped up all over, and managed to find some common ground among themselves while also focusing on local issues, that'd be cool. If they could be better than NIP in how they apparently handle disputes (seeing what happened to Rumda) that'd be even cooler.

Also, while I personally really dislike both nationalism and British state with its history, I'd be careful with wishing Yugoslavia upon it :v: No matter how bad it seems now, state collapse can happen extremely fast and become extremely violent even faster, and trust me, that's much, much worse. I mean, things might eventually get better in a balkanized UK, but there's a good possibility many posters won't see it on account of violently dying in the process.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The police have cleared the police, the government has cleared the government and the press has cleared the press. The only actually institutionally racist entity in the UK was the Labour Party 2016 - 2019.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gonzo McFee posted:

The police have cleared the police, the government has cleared the government and the press has cleared the press. The only actually institutionally racist entity in the UK was the Labour Party 2016 - 2019.

That is very depressing that this is almost certainly going to feed in to what people believe.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

nurmie posted:

I kinda do see a case for a country-wide alliance of localist, decidedly leftist parties that potentially could have a fighting chance against both the tories and the bloated shambling walking corpse that is Labour atm. Like if a bunch of X Independence Parties popped up all over, and managed to find some common ground among themselves while also focusing on local issues, that'd be cool. If they could be better than NIP in how they apparently handle disputes (seeing what happened to Rumda) that'd be even cooler.

Also, while I personally really dislike both nationalism and British state with its history, I'd be careful with wishing Yugoslavia upon it :v: No matter how bad it seems now, state collapse can happen extremely fast and become extremely violent even faster, and trust me, that's much, much worse. I mean, things might eventually get better in a balkanized UK, but there's a good possibility many posters won't see it on account of violently dying in the process.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but I think there's a pretty good chance of violent death under a united UK for a lot of posters itt as well

Crayfish
May 7, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

I read this to the tune of the farmer in the dell

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just closing the thread every night between midnight and 5am should eliminate the worst of the posting imo.

Unironically this.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Barry Foster posted:

I've recently come to realise that despair is actively counter-revolutionary

Thanks therapy!
Do you have any anti-despair pointers because I think I might be in too deep at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The state producing a report on whether it is institutionally racist is really one of those "would you tell me if you were lying" questions. Only a state that wasn't institutionally racist would admit to institutional racism. The report is literally evidence of institutional racism in itself.

More choir-preaching/water-wetness, but the BBC headline news on the radio this morning just uncritically repeating that there is no evidence really bugged me. Like I'm no fancy journalist or anything but what the gently caress do you call all this poo poo then

e:

Google Scholar posted:

About 273,000 results (0.03 sec)