Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's such an easy, cogent distinction between someone who is willing to kill if necessary, if the situation demands it, versus someone who kills by default or when there are other options at hand, and the fact that we have to explain this simple difference every time Snyder's characters do some murders feels very disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I didn't mind her doing that, but there is obviously a big difference between killing someone in the course of saving yourself and others, and executing someone who has ceased to be a threat.

Edit: Beaten.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

killing monsters is good

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It is actually good that the thousands year old amazon warrior goddess unbound by human morality and law decided to execute the guy who wanted to blow up a neighbourhood, because that is exactly what I'd assume an ancient amazon warrior goddess, daughter of Zeus, would do. The fact that she does do stuff like that could also create some interesting ideological clashing with the rest of the justice league, which could be interesting

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Karloff posted:

I didn't mind her doing that, but there is obviously a big difference between killing someone in the course of saving yourself and others, and executing someone who has ceased to be a threat.

Maybe. Who cares and why does it matter in this conversation?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Anyway, the guy clearly wanted to be blown up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Necrothatcher posted:

Anyway, the guy clearly wanted to be blown up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Roth posted:

There are many timelimes where Thanos is defeated but Iron Man just makes things worse anyway

I unironically think that's the case. Dr Strange's win condition requires the infinity gauntlet be gotten rid of. The GotG crew defeating Thanos would have resulted in one of them holding the gauntlet, and that'll be bad.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Groot getting the gauntlet would be

interesting

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Alhazred posted:

I just can't come over the schoolgirl who has been through a very traumatic situation (including watching a guy literally explode in front of her) and yet all she can think of is to set up an inspirational quote from Wonder Woman. This is a movie that's very casual about violence (Steppenwolf is maimed, sish kebabed and decapitated and the ones who does it shown afterwards).

If there is a one percent chance a young hostage will see her captives get smashed to bits by Wonder Woman and think it's goddamn awesome, we have to take it as an absolute certainty.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Shirkelton posted:

Maybe. Who cares and why does it matter in this conversation?

Because people's dislike of that moment was being framed "people not liking the idea of WW killing at all" which was a strawman. People in fact didn't like WW executing a person. I was fine with WW doing it, but it's not illegitimate to discuss how violence is portrayed in the film and what it suggests.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Zzulu posted:

It is actually good that the thousands year old amazon warrior goddess unbound by human morality and law decided to execute the guy who wanted to blow up a neighbourhood, because that is exactly what I'd assume an ancient amazon warrior goddess, daughter of Zeus, would do. The fact that she does do stuff like that could also create some interesting ideological clashing with the rest of the justice league, which could be interesting

Problem is that in her movies her "unbound by human morality and law" is supposed to equate to "she holds herself to higher standards than that", not "she adheres to pre-modern views on justice".

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

antifascism is a higher standard than liberalism though!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

i see, summary executions are the most woke

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zzulu posted:

Groot getting the gauntlet would be

interesting
“No, more trees!”

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have no idea where this impression of Diana being an amoral, post-human character comes from. It seems like a projection, or else people just weren't paying much attention to the film that was all about this character growing out of her juvenile, black-white notions of good and bad people and learning about how much more nuanced the human world is than her own fairy tale island, as evidenced by the climactic moment where she very pointedly does not execute a defeated opponent no matter how evil that person might be. I know that finale was messy but that was kind of an important moment for her, y'all.

Again, having to explain justify these rudimentary concepts of morality whenever these issues come up is very tedious.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

possibly people just have different ethical philosophies rather than, uh, not understanding rudimentary concepts of [your] morality

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The evil doctor in WW was cowering in fear.

The terrorist in JL, seeing everything that just happened and Wonder Woman waiting for his reaction, started loading another clip.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The evil doctor in WW was cowering in fear.

The terrorist in JL, seeing everything that just happened and Wonder Woman waiting for his reaction, started loading another clip.

So? He may as well have been wadding up a spitball.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zzulu posted:

The fact that she does do stuff like that could also create some interesting ideological clashing with the rest of the justice league, which could be interesting

But that doesn't happen as the the rest of the Justice League is also okay with brutal executions, they even join in.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Monsters are fair game tbh (even if the distinction doesn't make sense when the monsters are basically just humans with horns)

But I don't think Batman or Superman would be okay with the execution of the terrorist for example, so the scene could have been a cool one if she did something like that when they're present

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 31, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

BrianWilly posted:

I have no idea where this impression of Diana being an amoral, post-human character comes from. It seems like a projection, or else people just weren't paying much attention to the film that was all about this character growing out of her juvenile, black-white notions of good and bad people and learning about how much more nuanced the human world is than her own fairy tale island, as evidenced by the climactic moment where she very pointedly does not execute a defeated opponent no matter how evil that person might be. I know that finale was messy but that was kind of an important moment for her, y'all.

Again, having to explain justify these rudimentary concepts of morality whenever these issues come up is very tedious.

That is in one of her movies, which takes place in the 80's. In the other movie which takes place after this time, she is fine with killing her opposition and does it a fair number of times. If we are to assume these movies are connected at all, then if anything this shows us that she has come to the conclusion that killing off the enemy is actually good :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zzulu posted:

Monsters are fair game tbh (even if the distinction doesn't make sense when the monsters are basically just humans with horns)

But I don't think Batman or Superman would be okay with the execution of the terrorist for example

Batman would kill him if he was in the middle of firing to stop him. If he were reloading Batman would knock him out.

Superman would kill him if he has his gun up to somebody's head and holding them hostage where he can't just jump in front of the bullet but he can superspeed into him before he can pull the trigger(but the resulting force would probably kill him) but wouldn't kill him otherwise.

Bartman would tell him to not have a cow, man, and then the terrorist would shout "Why, you little!" and try to strangle him

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zzulu posted:

But I don't think Batman or Superman would be okay with the execution of the terrorist for example

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
59 posts over night, must've been some big ne--

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I had a very strong reaction to Superman maiming Steppenwulf via heat vision, but then I realized that it could be read as him learning from his fight against the Kryptonians in MoS: you don't let up on an opponent that might be able to take you for a ride, especially when your job is to tank him while Cyborg is defusing a bomb.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just realized this kind of calls back to Zod. TerrorFedora was not going to stop.

BrianWilly posted:

it expects us to imagine that the Jonathan Kent it showed us, who spent nearly every moment onscreen down his dying breath trying to prevent his son from becoming a superhero, actually did want his son to become a superhero. Secretly. Deep down. In his heart.
I think part of why Jon lands so poorly for people is that this interpretation has the weight of being a father behind it, in the sense that sometimes you just have no idea what to do for your kid but you definitely have a goal in mind.

There's this air of "I don't know, I'm just doing my best". Because really, what do you do for a kid who can bend a steel post in a fit of anger? How do you get a child to process and understand rage? How do you communicate the very real burden that they deal with every day, being able to tear into someone effortlessly?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 31, 2021

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So to sum up: Tony Stark killing dudes threatening to shoot hostages is Wrong & Bad. Diana killing dudes threatening to shoot hostages is Cool & Good.

Glad we cleared that up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I just remembered when WW killed Max Lord in the comics and everyone got super mad. :allears:

Anyways, the toxic part of the snyder fanbase has been review bombing godzilla vs kong since this last weekend.

:sigh: leave the kaiju movies alone.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, those people are loving idiots and it's infuriating. As someone who is an even bigger kaiju fan than cape flicks I just wanted to scream.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sentinel Red posted:

So to sum up: Tony Stark killing dudes threatening to shoot hostages is Wrong & Bad. Diana killing dudes threatening to shoot hostages is Cool & Good.

Glad we cleared that up.

I mean, that’s a very large (and, I suspect, deliberate) oversimplification. Nobody’s getting mad at Wonder Woman for killing the terrorists who were posing a clear and unavoidable threat to the innocent bystanders.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Wait, why the hell are they review bombing Godzilla vs Kong? Spite against WB? Some perceived idea that people will watch Justice League instead of GvK in a way that won't actually make any more box office/revenue?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
"punishment" for wb not announcing snyder as back in charge of the dcu

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FilthyImp posted:

Everytime Arist posts about snyderchat I imagine them wailing away at their keyboard looking just like their avatar.

Dude's consistently bad about snyderfilms.

I have been intentionally staying out of arguments about these movies dude, don't make me some stupid boogeyman. Christ.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was like a dozen crazy people. Dumb idiot people for sure but who knows what their motives were.

“There are heroes on both sides.” Lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

I just remembered when WW killed Max Lord in the comics and everyone got super mad. :allears:

Anyways, the toxic part of the snyder fanbase has been review bombing godzilla vs kong since this last weekend.

:sigh: leave the kaiju movies alone.

...But that's a Legendary production that's just distributed by WB. They even nearly sued them over the HBO Max move.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also wtf those people should be down for Godzilla v Kong. poo poo looks dope. People are huge idiots all the time.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Aphrodite posted:

...But that's a Legendary production that's just distributed by WB. They even nearly sued them over the HBO Max move.

I know! But like they said it's "punishment" for WB not continuing with the Snyder movies. There's probably a bunch of future HBO max movies that are gonna get the same review bombing .

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's also a bunch of review bombs of Justice League from a group of Godzilla vs Kong fans, and honestly looking at the screenshots from both I'm pretty sure all the review bombs for both movies are written by the same fuckin guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Have any of these fools actually considered whether Snyder wants to do more? Clearly he's got a bunch of projects on the back burner, if he's not interested are they gonna start harassing him.