Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah, I don't need to spend $75 on sleeves I can get on AliExpress for $20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

as someone who spent far too much money on sentinels of the multiverse before realizing their mistake: sentinels of the multiverse is a bad game.

the art is bad, managing all the tokens/effects is a massive pain, and with any of the dozen+ of characters I tried, every hand I drew made it abundantly clear what was the best way to play. There was never a single interesting decision to make - the game might as well play itself.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

El Fideo posted:

Care to share a link to a reliable sleeve on Ali?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ketchup vs catsup posted:

as someone who spent far too much money on sentinels of the multiverse before realizing their mistake: sentinels of the multiverse is a bad game.

the art is bad, managing all the tokens/effects is a massive pain, and with any of the dozen+ of characters I tried, every hand I drew made it abundantly clear what was the best way to play. There was never a single interesting decision to make - the game might as well play itself.

I have the digital version and it plays really drat well with the computer keeping track of all the bullshit.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I really don't agree with the "plays itself" criticism. The other stuff is subjective. I never had a problem with either. But one of the design goals of the new edition, as I understand it, is to address criticisms of fiddliness. Whether they've been successful I couldn't tell you. (Also the art's getting a revamp but I assume it's still the same artist so I doubt people who think it's bad will have their minds much changed.)

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

malkav11 posted:

(Also the art's getting a revamp but I assume it's still the same artist so I doubt people who think it's bad will have their minds much changed.)
I dunno, the artist is much better than he was 10 years ago. I think the new art I've seen is good, though I admit it may just be because I'm comparing it to the old art.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El Fideo posted:

For contrast here: Stellaris Legacy just added storage boxes for sleeved cards including 1300 60-micron sleeves for $25.

I'm pretty sure I'm pulling my pledge at this point, though. I like the idea, it just doesn't do enough that's new.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

malkav11 posted:

But one of the design goals of the new edition, as I understand it, is to address criticisms of fiddliness. Whether they've been successful I couldn't tell you.

I hope they succeed. I played this game once yonks ago at a PAX, and it was the fiddliest game in the universe. My board gaming 'grammar' has increased since then so maybe I'd get on a little better now, but this it was not a complicated engine or economic game. It was just that we had to count incredibly slowly to 200 before the game counted to 150 or something. I was some guy who gave out little +1 damage status effects, and it was so annoying to not miss them. The game was hyped as hell at that point, and I was confused at what anyone saw in it.

I never minded the art. Yeah it's been kinda amateurish, but it's not like I could do better. Though standards have gone up massively in the intervening *looks at watch* ten years? fuuuuck

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sefer posted:

I dunno, the artist is much better than he was 10 years ago. I think the new art I've seen is good, though I admit it may just be because I'm comparing it to the old art.

I don't see that much difference, personally. I mean, he's definitely got more experience now and I'm sure there's an increase in technical competence but the style and approach are the same and I never understood why people thought it was bad to begin with. :shrug:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

malkav11 posted:

I don't see that much difference, personally. I mean, he's definitely got more experience now and I'm sure there's an increase in technical competence but the style and approach are the same and I never understood why people thought it was bad to begin with. :shrug:

I can see where it may not be everyone's cup of tea. At the same time, though, it's much like painting Warhammer or whatever. You've got a decade of sucking behind you and got gud, and now you kinda want to go back and re-do some of the stuff you did super early on, even if it's just to see how much better you can do it now that you know how to thin your paints, not glob superglue all over the models, and know what highlights and shadows are and how to use them. I mean honestly, if I were the artist I would have probably redone some of the original cards anyway for that exact reason, only with the Definitive Edition now everyone else can see it too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Aniodia posted:

I can see where it may not be everyone's cup of tea. At the same time, though, it's much like painting Warhammer or whatever. You've got a decade of sucking behind you and got gud, and now you kinda want to go back and re-do some of the stuff you did super early on, even if it's just to see how much better you can do it now that you know how to thin your paints, not glob superglue all over the models, and know what highlights and shadows are and how to use them. I mean honestly, if I were the artist I would have probably redone some of the original cards anyway for that exact reason, only with the Definitive Edition now everyone else can see it too.
That was what was nice about the final complete hero card collection (including all the promos) they offered, they redid the artwork at the end of the run.

That is just the card you put next to your deck that says the hero’s unique special ability, but you do look at it throughout the game.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

It's the faces for me. Everyone has the same smirky expression and ear to ear joker smile.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

slap me and kiss me posted:

23 hours left on my LIFTS: Powered by Your ABpocalypse Edition kickstarter - the game that uses your muscles, not your dice!
If you could give this a retweet and a comment, I would be forever in your debt (backing is okay too)

https://twitter.com/ThronesBeware/status/1229421618058887170?s=20

What an awful year 2020 was. This has shipped and is landing in your mailboxes soon.

Appreciate the patience.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

What an awful year 2020 was. This has shipped and is landing in your mailboxes soon.

Appreciate the patience.

I'm planning on gifting my physical copy to my power lifting friend who is built like a truck.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Appreciate the patience.

I am looking forward to getting my copy!

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
The Stellaris Infinite Legacy designer finally uploaded a draft rulebook, although calling it a draft implies that it's finished in an early form.

The percentages there are how complete the rules are - which means that, yeah, a huge portion of the game's rules are completely absent. If you wanted to know how combat works, well gently caress off and buy at retail I guess.

I'm not uninterested in the pitch (and the simultaneous play aspect seems like a smart choice) but man, they were not ready to launch.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Hopefully the game turns out well and they Kickstarter an expansion in a year or so and do a better job with the campaign when they do.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

BinaryDoubts posted:

The Stellaris Infinite Legacy designer finally uploaded a draft rulebook, although calling it a draft implies that it's finished in an early form.

The percentages there are how complete the rules are - which means that, yeah, a huge portion of the game's rules are completely absent. If you wanted to know how combat works, well gently caress off and buy at retail I guess.

I'm not uninterested in the pitch (and the simultaneous play aspect seems like a smart choice) but man, they were not ready to launch.

I've been following this game pretty closely. It's a total mess.

They've posted a bunch of rules on bgg that didn't make it into the rulebook for some reason. So we do know about the combat.

In short, it works like this:

You've got four types of ships of different sizes, and you put different kinds of weapons, engines, reactors, shields, etc on each of them. Each ship has shield hit points, armor hitpoints, and hull hitpoints. Different weapons have different accuracies and deal different amounts to shields and armor, etc. Some components also have special effects, like "missile attacks against this ship miss on a roll of 1-3". Different weapons also do damage at different ranges.

Combat starts at long range and progresses to shorter ranges after tech round of battle. You need to roll a die for each weapon on each ship, taking care to check the components of both your ships and your opponent's ships which modify hit chance and damage, to see whether it hits and how much damage it does to shields and armor, and whether it's enough damage to indicate a "damaged" or "destroyed" ship. Then you do it again at a shorter range.

Now imagine a battle with 4 different types of ships in each side, with different weapons and armor and stuff on each, and you need to make sure you opponent remembered to make his missile weapons miss on certain die rolls when attacking one of your ships that's good against missiles.

It looks like you'll be fighting against AI a decent amount, so I hope the AI's follow simple rules.

Bear in mind, combat is supposed to be a relatively minor part of this game. It's supposed to be more focused on narrative.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

The meta irony in the board game being just like the computer version as far as complete and well though out mechanics being lacking until the next patch comes out is really strange.

And I love stellaris I am not throwing shade.

Well maybe a little.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

The meta irony in the board game being just like the computer version as far as complete and well though out mechanics being lacking until the next patch comes out is really strange.

And I love stellaris I am not throwing shade.

Well maybe a little.

They looked at all the micromanagement the video game has and decided they're going to make the board game centered around micromanagement.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I really don't understand why the Stellaris campaign is going the way it's going. Academy Games have been making boardgames for over a decade. They've done previous Kickstarters, and while I only participated in Fief I certainly don't remember it being anything like as much of a mess. You'd think they'd understand that this isn't the way to do it.

My only guess is that there's some reason (the licensing agreement?) they had a hard deadline and they just didn't end up ready in time.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I don't understand why I would play this over the video game. If you want to sell me a board game adaptation of a video game, that needs to be compelling point #1.

The inverse is usually an easier sell - a good digital adaptation of a board game removes manual fiddliness, allows remote play, and allows easy saving of mid game state. These are all huge wins and an easy sell.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

malkav11 posted:

My only guess is that there's some reason (the licensing agreement?) they had a hard deadline and they just didn't end up ready in time.

I've seen that speculation elsewhere, too, and I think it's the most likely reason why they seem to be unprepared.

I cancelled my pledge today because after waiting this long to see ANY rules, the "draft" they released left even more unanswered questions.

I think what people wanted to see was a clear indication of the actual game play outside of the "vertical slice" they were delivering via their one TTS video and metagame commentary. Usually you get that from the completed rules, but it's just absent here. After reading the rules draft and watching the videos, I still don't have a good feeling for how a full game or campaign of this would actually play out.

It all seems like a lot of fiddly micromanagement with everyone playing in a vacuum and then hoping someone else doesn't meet their objective first.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

malkav11 posted:

I really don't understand why the Stellaris campaign is going the way it's going. Academy Games have been making boardgames for over a decade. They've done previous Kickstarters, and while I only participated in Fief I certainly don't remember it being anything like as much of a mess. You'd think they'd understand that this isn't the way to do it.

I really wanted to be able to recommend Stellaris to a mate of mine, as he's looking to pickup my copy of Xia, but there's just so many red flags on this that I would worry he wouldn't receive a copy on time or that it's just a poo poo game.

No physical prototype to demo and a halfcooked rulebook don't instill a sense of confidence.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Robo-Slap posted:

You've got four types of ships of different sizes, and you put different kinds of weapons, engines, reactors, shields, etc on each of them. Each ship has shield hit points, armor hitpoints, and hull hitpoints. Different weapons have different accuracies and deal different amounts to shields and armor, etc. Some components also have special effects, like "missile attacks against this ship miss on a roll of 1-3". Different weapons also do damage at different ranges.

Combat starts at long range and progresses to shorter ranges after tech round of battle. You need to roll a die for each weapon on each ship, taking care to check the components of both your ships and your opponent's ships which modify hit chance and damage, to see whether it hits and how much damage it does to shields and armor, and whether it's enough damage to indicate a "damaged" or "destroyed" ship. Then you do it again at a shorter range.

Uuggghhh total bonerdeath

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

ZachAttack posted:

I'm planning on gifting my physical copy to my power lifting friend who is built like a truck.

Nemo2342 posted:

I am looking forward to getting my copy!

Thanks, friends! Please do let me know when they arrive so I can stop fretting.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Robo-Slap posted:

I've been following this game pretty closely. It's a total mess.

They've posted a bunch of rules on bgg that didn't make it into the rulebook for some reason. So we do know about the combat.

This sounds utterly miserable

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, they're fine...

No pressure.

Everything is fine.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeeeeah, "oh, we'd be screwed if we failed, so we're not going to fail!" is not the most persuasive logic I've ever seen...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

malkav11 posted:

Yeeeeah, "oh, we'd be screwed if we failed, so we're not going to fail!" is not the most persuasive logic I've ever seen...
Especially when so many failed Kickstarters have sob-story updates after long breaks in communication about how the project has destroyed their life/family/finances, it's not exactly an uncommon thing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

To me the give off a vibe of a perfectly competent traditional board game company that didn't know what kickstarter backers expect and weren't fully ready to launch a kickstarter campaign. I'd be pretty surprised if the game ends up not happening, but it's also not something I have any real interest in.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, they're fine...

No pressure.

Everything is fine.

"Contractually obligated"
Oh no you said the quiet part out loud!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

To me the give off a vibe of a perfectly competent traditional board game company that didn't know what kickstarter backers expect and weren't fully ready to launch a kickstarter campaign. I'd be pretty surprised if the game ends up not happening, but it's also not something I have any real interest in.

Except they've run 9 other Kickstarters before this. There's no way they don't know what Kickstarter backers expect and you would think they'd know where they need to be to launch a KS.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

malkav11 posted:

Except they've run 9 other Kickstarters before this. There's no way they don't know what Kickstarter backers expect and you would think they'd know where they need to be to launch a KS.

I would trust Academy Games to deliver the product. Whether or not the game is good is to be seen.

What I do know is that I pulled my pledge as expected after learning that the rules are only 80% finalised. You really have to have your core rules solidified before you begin adding expansions.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I would love it to be good, and there will always be a spot in my heart for overly complex space poo poo. I don't have TI4 or eclipse, although I love them both. And I like stellaris the pc game but I'm really bad at it because I'm not really a computer games player anymore. So I'm probably the prime audience. But the cost is just too much of a gamble for how much unknown there is at this point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Infinitum posted:

"Contractually obligated"
Oh no you said the quiet part out loud!

It's an IP game so that's pretty self evident, right?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

I would trust Academy Games to deliver the product. Whether or not the game is good is to be seen.

Yeah, my concern isn't whether they'll deliver something. They're an experienced company that will probably have their act together enough to print and ship a game. My concern is whether I will want to play that game, and the total mess that is the KS does nothing to reassure me on that point.

But oh well. I'm not backing it, and if it turns out to be just my thing, I imagine there will be more of it at some point and I can jump on then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

It's an IP game so that's pretty self evident, right?

Not as such. They would have paid for the licence for a certain amount of time, and they'd be out of pocket if they failed to produce a game within that window. But it would be unusual for them to be obligated to produce one.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jedit posted:

What I do know is that I pulled my pledge as expected after learning that the rules are only 80% finalised. You really have to have your core rules solidified before you begin adding expansions.

80% would be an improvement. Note that the sections that are listed at 80% are like introductions and victory conditions and poo poo. Almost none of it is anything I would call core mechanics.

Jedit posted:

Not as such. They would have paid for the licence for a certain amount of time, and they'd be out of pocket if they failed to produce a game within that window. But it would be unusual for them to be obligated to produce one.

Maybe milestone and delivery-based contract? Is that A Thing in the games industry? In regular business something like that would be pretty damaging if the work is mismanaged or late because you would still be obligated to finish but you wouldn’t get any more money to do it. There may even be severe penalty clauses but I think you’d have to be stupid to agree to something like that in this market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Even just paying for licensing and paying for development on a big project/product you don't deliver or end up making could be the kind of loss that sinks a place, yeah.