Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“AI will destroy us” is not exactly a unique sci-fi plot and I refuse to believe that a lazy stock footage montage is proof of them ripping off Mass Effect, a series literally no one has given a poo poo about since 2012.

It’s loving WeGotThisCovered-level conspiracy nonsense, only it originated from this forum somehow.

Dumb poo poo crawling out of Something Awful because goons are dense motherfuckers who only think in terms of video games? You don't say! :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

nine-gear crow posted:

There was literally a lawsuit brought by some random guy against CBS arguing that Star Trek: Discovery ripped him off because he also had man-sized tardigrades in his indie video game. He was promptly laughed out of court and wasted a bunch of time and money in the process.

About the only thing of worth that came out of it was this beautiful self-own from everyone's favourite not-so-crypto-fascist, Lord Urinal Helmet

https://twitter.com/doomcock/status/1032145264335892480

I love the idea that CBS wasn't just stealing story ideas, they also had to steal such unique, innovative ideas as "A guy with a beard" and "A redheaded woman".

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
honestly the spore drive felt like a bunch of people who didn't know science at all threw darts at popular science memes.

"Water Bears" "Parallel Dimensions" "Massive Fungus" "Sentient Fungus"

Like, it took some creativity to tie it all together, but still it is really kind of a off the wall idea, it feels silly in comparison to the drives that were also in Star Trek shows that involved living things.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

I love the idea that CBS wasn't just stealing story ideas, they also had to steal such unique, innovative ideas as "A guy with a beard" and "A redheaded woman".

Now, if Sad Bearded Man Of Colour and Short Haired Blond White Man in that dude's MS Paint game were a tastefully written same sex married couple just like Culber and Stemmets are, maybe then I'd concede he was on to something. But I wouldn't count on it.

E: Oh god, apparently this dude blew $40,000 trying to sue CBS and in the year since he launched his GoFundMe page to cover his legal fees he's only recouped... $1,000.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 1, 2021

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Angry Salami posted:

Oh, sorry, are we meant to be taking seriously again that idea that Discovery stole the idea of Tardigrades from some incredibly obscure game that still hasn't been made, rather than, you know, being aware of the real animals?

Whoa wait. I've been out of the loop. What's the story on this?

The last time I payed attention to Disco the rumor was just getting started that CBS had ripped off some poor dude. I always took it with a sidehelping of "this could be bullshit," it was all part of the amalgam of anger and disappointment.

edit:

nine-gear crow posted:

There was literally a lawsuit brought by some random guy against CBS arguing that Star Trek: Discovery ripped him off because he also had man-sized tardigrades in his indie video game. He was promptly laughed out of court and wasted a bunch of time and money in the process.

About the only thing of worth that came out of it was this beautiful self-own from everyone's favourite not-so-crypto-fascist, Lord Urinal Helmet

wow this is uhhh

sure is something!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HIJK posted:

wow this is uhhh

sure is something!

I don't know if this is the dumbest Star Trek-related lawsuit there's ever been... but it's sure up there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Everything still kinda pales in comparison to the sheer stupidity and arrogance of the Axanar lawsuit.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If they had just, you know, not tried to sell goddamn star trek coffee no one at Paramount/CBS would have given a poo poo.

(also, all of the other poo poo he tried to do with someone elses's IP)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everything still kinda pales in comparison to the sheer stupidity and arrogance of the Axanar lawsuit.

Wikipedia summary sounds kinda boring, what's the story here?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

It was originally designed to point sideways, so there's a kind of arrow-pointing-forward vibe to it, I guess to symbolise the klingons pushing on. Also it's got a similar point-and-wings shape to klingon ships, which might not be a coincidence, you could see it as a klingon ship above a planet.

See also: Cardassia.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

BonHair posted:

Wikipedia summary sounds kinda boring, what's the story here?

Other people can probably tell the story better, but my favorite part was when the Axanar producers tried to argue 'fair use', claiming that the elements they were using were either in the public domain, or that CBS couldn't claim copyright over such vaguely defined concepts as, um, Klingons.

They also apparently left Tony Todd under the impression that Axanar was an official Star Trek production.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Angry Salami posted:

Other people can probably tell the story better, but my favorite part was when the Axanar producers tried to argue 'fair use', claiming that the elements they were using were either in the public domain, or that CBS couldn't claim copyright over such vaguely defined concepts as, um, Klingons.

They also apparently left Tony Todd under the impression that Axanar was an official Star Trek production.

It was better than that: Axanar's lawyer argued, in court, that Axanar was a mockumentary, like Best In Show or Waiting for Huffman.

Said lawyer then proceeded to cite the Wikipedia definition of "mockumentary" in her motion brief.

The judge was not amused.

And, yes, Todd was told that it was an officially licensed production. When he found out it wasn't (and when the checks started bouncing), he walked away, and Axanar continued to promote him as still being part of the project, for nearly two years after he walked.

Todd got wind of this and insisted they stop; Alec Peters then tried to smear him on Twitter, saying that Todd was released from his deal because he was difficult to work with, wanted too much money and they couldn't afford his day rate. Todd fired back, showing a photo of his Axanar deal which very clearly showed he was working for scale (and in reality not even that, since he wasn't actually paid).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Holy poo poo, I didn’t know the Tony Todd part of it. I’m assuming that’s probably true of other Trek alums like JG Hertzler, Gary Graham and Kate Vernon too then.

Axanar’s collapse into lawsuits from its scummy inception and the delusions of grandeur of its creators also resulted in its editor, a Hollywood G-Lister with tangential ties to the Star Trek franchise by the name of Robert Burnett Meyer, becoming eternally raging mad about CBS and modern Star Trek in general. To the point where he’s now burrowed in with a network of like-minded right wing assholes with web cams and internet connections and has been trying to destroy Star Trek in any menial way he can, usually feeding them scoops and rumours he’s overheard like third or fourth hand from people who actually really work on real Star Trek shows and aren’t weird internet assholes with grudges.

I don’t know how involved Burnett Meyer was in the actual lawsuit, but he sure as poo poo used it to kickstart his e-grift career on the back of the outrage it generated among the types of people who would give a poo poo to sit down and watch a potential feature-length no-budget Star Trek fan film.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He somehow found out beforehand that Disco was going to use the Guardian of Forever

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

He somehow found out beforehand that Disco was going to use the Guardian of Forever

And I think that was like the lone Trek leak that proved accurate in like 4 years of Modern Trek existing, wasn’t it? It seemed like it was one of those moments that was just too big to keep under wraps entirely, so it probably got to him, like I said maybe third or fourth hand. Because I don’t think anyone actually working for a Modern Trek production would be stupid enough to actually talk directly to Robert Burnett Meyer, and if they were, they probably don’t work for CBS anymore...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lol I remember the days when Mike Okuda would leak Enterprise stuff because he just didn’t give a poo poo anymore

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

What do you mean? No one, from TV show to slash fiction writer, had ever created a “sexy smart redhead nerd girl” character before!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I thank you guys for digging up that info about that idiots lawsuit, I haven't looked up Star Trek stuff in ages because every time I tried there was just a pile of fashy bullshit like that doomcock rear end in a top hat in the search results.

I'm still convinced someone made a deliberate choice to rip off Mass effect during the production of Picard, what they did and explicitly how they did it is just way too loving close. Like I basically said hey what the hell even as I was watching it and it's not like I even played those games.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

nine-gear crow posted:

actually this makes complete sense given the garbage that is discovery tbh

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

HD DAD posted:

Lol I remember the days when Mike Okuda would leak Enterprise stuff because he just didn’t give a poo poo anymore

To be fair, no one else did either.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGJoNgMeH9A

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“AI will destroy us” is not exactly a unique sci-fi plot and I refuse to believe that a lazy stock footage montage is proof of them ripping off Mass Effect, a series literally no one has given a poo poo about since 2012.

It’s loving WeGotThisCovered-level conspiracy nonsense, only it originated from this forum somehow.

Lol a lot of people noticed this not just goons, I get this is more about owning someone but come tru a bit harder here.

Because it’s pretty blatant and let’s be honest goons aren’t clever enough to see it if it was subtle

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
See that’s how you own a goon

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's a pretty loving blatant Mass Effect rip-off. And it's spiced with calling the sentient AIs "synthetics" instead of "androids" like Data and his family on TNG.
I wouldn't really have minded the rip-off of it wasn't so badly executed. It's a good plot that could have been interesting, especially if we actually got to meet the mechachtulhu. It could even have tied in with the Borg in some ways, but that plotline just literally crashed into the ground.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

See also: Cardassia.

I find the asymmetric elements of the Cardassian Union badge extremely annoying.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

BonHair posted:

It's a pretty loving blatant Mass Effect rip-off. And it's spiced with calling the sentient AIs "synthetics" instead of "androids" like Data and his family on TNG.
I wouldn't really have minded the rip-off of it wasn't so badly executed. It's a good plot that could have been interesting, especially if we actually got to meet the mechachtulhu. It could even have tied in with the Borg in some ways, but that plotline just literally crashed into the ground.

Having the Romulan Borgs on the planet going 'holy poo poo, we were promised perfection, and here it is!' and willingly going into the wormhole with mecha-tentacle before it closed.
Even 7of9 is tempted, but doesn't. Picard slowly realizes that the Romulan Borgs could show Evil Robosquidward how humanity works and isn't as bad as it thinks it is, leaving some hope it won't come and stick its nano-tubes up their arses in the distant future.
And I just pulled that out of my rear end with half a minute thought after reading your post.
But no, space flowers and I BELIEVE IN YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

McSpanky posted:

I find the asymmetric elements of the Cardassian Union badge extremely annoying.

The other day for the first time I noticed Weyoun's outermost jacket has one short sleeve and one long sleeve. Now I realise he can't tell that it looks odd but someone really should say something.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

McSpanky posted:

That's actually a pretty good design choice, not letting human preferences dictate alien designs. But yeah, I hate it too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Also technically the Romulans were right about the synthetics

They were going to unleash Cyber Cthulhu on organic life until Picard stepped in

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I choose to believe the MSPaint guy because why the hell not. It would explain a lot about Discovery.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I love that these have gotten recursive to the point of stupidity now. Someone needs to tweet this to Robert Duncan McNeill and/or Garret Wang so he can then show it to Robbie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmsfOUwbf_g

Also Starfleet are a bunch of tomb raiding pirates.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

McSpanky posted:

I think this is pretty on-brand for Cardassians. They're glad you're annoyed :smug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Axe-man posted:

honestly the spore drive felt like a bunch of people who didn't know science at all threw darts at popular science memes.

"Water Bears" "Parallel Dimensions" "Massive Fungus" "Sentient Fungus"

Like, it took some creativity to tie it all together, but still it is really kind of a off the wall idea, it feels silly in comparison to the drives that were also in Star Trek shows that involved living things.

Isn't the spore drive the one thing that's actually kinda plausible based off new science? I remember reading that by using fungal networks we've been able to generate more accurate maps of the universe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eimi posted:

Isn't the spore drive the one thing that's actually kinda plausible based off new science? I remember reading that by using fungal networks we've been able to generate more accurate maps of the universe.

Yeah, Discovery is apparently one of the more actually scientifically sound Trek shows, it all just seems like bullshit because the writing is kinda wonky and the science is actually so advanced compared to what Trek dabbled in in the 90s and 00s that it just seems like insane bullshit to Joe Average TV Viewer and Captain General Something Awful Goon, Esq.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Eimi posted:

It sounds plausible, just like normal trek travel. Normal trek travel is bending space into a bubble around the ship and then unbending it so that you look like you are moving forward.
Plausible sounding.

From memory alpha the spore drive transfers you into a subspace dimension that is somehow inhabited by a fungus, thats it.
Event Horizon has the same thing, but its hell instead of neon drifting spores and Tilly's dead school friend.
Warhammer 40k has the same thing, but its called the Warp, and full of evil and horniness.

It sounds plausible as you think of brain synapses, fungus colonies, and how they look like star clusters, and galaxy super clusters, so could be related.

Then also they had time crystals that allowed you to travel in time, because they are time crystals. Of time. In crystal shapes.
It's like poetry, it rhymes.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 1, 2021

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Discovery is apparently one of the more actually scientifically sound Trek shows, it all just seems like bullshit because the writing is kinda wonky and the science is actually so advanced compared to what Trek dabbled in in the 90s and 00s that it just seems like insane bullshit to Joe Average TV Viewer and Captain General Something Awful Goon, Esq.

See, I'm going off my good pal StarTalk, or rather StarTalk intern Kirk Long. Kirk is majoring in astrophysics while minoring in applied mathematics and piano at Boise State University.

https://www.startalkradio.net/spoilers-star-trek-discoverys-spore-drive-nonsense-musings-sci-fi-travel-technology

I mean, of all the things wrong with discovery, the spore drive is only an issue in that it exists at the wrong point in time to make sense, and the "yeah no one ever say anything ever" is not really realistic on explaining away why it didn't appear as a rumor, or if you go by picard, a romulan infiltrated secret program by an admiral who of course turns out to be evil.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
What part of science covers returning your dead lover to you as a spore simulacrum? Applied Biology?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

a sad boy screamed and blew up all the make-us-go rocks in the galaxy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Hey do you guys remember when Star Trek 6 was a political thriller about the end of the Cold war and the need for the older generation to move on gracefully

Yeah good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

a sad boy screamed and blew up all the make-us-go rocks in the galaxy

To be fair, I have seen some rather loud Warzone and Fortnite rage videos
Imagine what he would have destroyed if he got headshotted by xXxSpoonHeadBonerHitlerxXx in Call of Duty Maquis Massacre.