Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

nostrata posted:

I got an army painter brush because the handle was a little bit thicker but after about 2 weeks of moderate use the ferrule got loose where it connects to the wood. It would wobble about 10° off to either side. I recently ordered some broken toad bushes that just came in today. I do wish I could find a nice brush with a beefier handle as holding most brushes cramps my hands pretty quickly.

Wrap a bunch of tape around it?

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cat Face Joe posted:

Wrap a bunch of tape around it?

:bsdsnype:

Or maybe some idea not dumb, like these little things you can get at any dollar store

https://www.amazon.com/Classics-Pen...17239868&sr=8-6

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I got a full set of bomb wick brushes from Monument Hobbies and I would not recommend them, because they don't hold a point at all.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I finished some boyz in the last couple weeks, and am finally feeling really great about my first army scheme. Oils and enamels are also an absurd amount of fun.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Spanish Manlove posted:

Or maybe some idea not dumb, like these little things you can get at any dollar store

https://www.amazon.com/Classics-Pen...17239868&sr=8-6

lol ok dude. lemme just buy some things notorious for not staying on and are way bigger than a paint brush. way smarter than just wrapping it in med or painters tape

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Guess it's just me who can't stand Goobertown. Some voices really annoy me which is also the thing that prevents me from watching Auspex Tactics.

You are not alone

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Skails posted:

Finished this entry for #smashbash2021. It’s a kitbashing event on Instagram hosted by @totally_not_panicking.

My concept is cybernetically enhanced Genestealer cult fallen under the corrupting influence of demonic powers. I have ‘someday’ plans of filling out a gang with skeletons x neophyte hybrids and mortek guard x acolyte hybrids.

That's just nuts :prepop:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cat Face Joe posted:

lol ok dude. lemme just buy some things notorious for not staying on and are way bigger than a paint brush. way smarter than just wrapping it in med or painters tape

Well those were cheap examples and the first things I thought of. I modified some tools at work with tape to make them easier to hold and they started to unravel a little bit and got sticky and annoying. Overall was kind of a failure as I kept having to add more tape to cover the parts that would unravel.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Warlord games announced a new product today. I felt insulted and sad over it. Dear Warlord Games- please do not make fun of my lack of Painting ability.

I'm sure everyone else will find it hilarious, it just made me sad and depressed over the entire army of unpainted figures I need to paint tonight for a con tournament it looks like no one else is coming too :(

quote:

We've Just Revolutionised the way you will paint - FOREVER!
Building and painting is half the fun of the hobby, but for some of us, the mountain of minis just needs a speedier solution!

This year at Warlord Labs, we have revolutionised the building-painting-playing triad with our latest rapid paint system with a brand new product that will let you get entire armies ready in a matter of seconds!
Watch the reveal video - NOW

I hate April 1st.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Would appreciate some criticism or suggestions how to improve the skin on this guy.

This is just waagh flesh, lightened by mixing with a pale skintone and shadowed by mixing with payne’s grey. I overall like the result but I think it still looks a bit flat. Is it just a matter of making the brightest bits lighter, or do I kinda raise all the midtones and highlights up to make the shadows look darker by comparison? (I know other stuff like the chain are very flat but they’re getting an oil wash later)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Comstar posted:

Warlord games announced a new product today. I felt insulted and sad over it. Dear Warlord Games- please do not make fun of my lack of Painting ability.

I'm sure everyone else will find it hilarious, it just made me sad and depressed over the entire army of unpainted figures I need to paint tonight for a con tournament it looks like no one else is coming too :(

I hate April 1st.

Based on the description you quoted, I'm disappointed the video wasn't just them shooting minis with a paintball gun

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Would appreciate some criticism or suggestions how to improve the skin on this guy.

It’s not bad at all, but I would focus on punching up the highlights to create greater contrast. Would make it pop more.

Sab669 posted:

Based on the description you quoted, I'm disappointed the video wasn't just them shooting minis with a paintball gun

Yeah I thought it would be something like

https://i.imgur.com/VPR29cK.gifv

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 1, 2021

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Xposting from specgames:

Another nasty boy ready to hit the Beastgrave:

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

jesus WEP posted:

I would both go higher with another highlight and think about deepening the shadows - something like a pure black/dark green in the deepest recesses - particularity on the hands and face.

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

I just recently figured out that I can adjust the layer height on my 3d printer and now my prints are soooo smoth. I printed this big boy (technically 28 mm scale, but he is about 5 cm tall) and I am really happy with both the print and the paint job:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Did some grimdark Stormcast:

Enjoyed these a lot, it's pretty freeing doing such heavy weathering and not having to be super neat all the time. My first time using a wet palette too, which I really like so far.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

blue collar orc posted:

I just recently figured out that I can adjust the layer height on my 3d printer and now my prints are soooo smoth. I printed this big boy (technically 28 mm scale, but he is about 5 cm tall) and I am really happy with both the print and the paint job:

What settings did you use? Also, post the STL if you can!

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

What settings did you use? Also, post the STL if you can!

The model can be bought from myminifactory: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-tt-minotaur-002-116142

I printed it on a anycubic photon s with the following settings:
Layer thickness: 0.025 mm
Exposure time: 6 sec
Off time: 1 sec
Bottom exposure time: 45 sec
Bottom layers: 3
Lift distance: 6 mm
Z lift speed: 3 mm/sec
Z retract speed: 3 mm/sec
Anti-alias: 8

IIRC it took about 11 hours to print

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Enjoyed these a lot, it's pretty freeing doing such heavy weathering and not having to be super neat all the time. My first time using a wet palette too, which I really like so far.

Hell yes, I love seeing more of this style. Stormcast really lend themselves well to this.

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

Skails posted:

Finished this entry for #smashbash2021. It’s a kitbashing event on Instagram hosted by @totally_not_panicking.

My concept is cybernetically enhanced Genestealer cult fallen under the corrupting influence of demonic powers. I have ‘someday’ plans of filling out a gang with skeletons x neophyte hybrids and mortek guard x acolyte hybrids.

OMG that is insane! I love that mix of xenomorph and cennobite

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

oohhh I really like these

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I love these. That's a cool as hell take on these guys.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

blue collar orc posted:

The model can be bought from myminifactory: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-tt-minotaur-002-116142

I printed it on a anycubic photon s with the following settings:
Layer thickness: 0.025 mm
Exposure time: 6 sec
Off time: 1 sec
Bottom exposure time: 45 sec
Bottom layers: 3
Lift distance: 6 mm
Z lift speed: 3 mm/sec
Z retract speed: 3 mm/sec
Anti-alias: 8

IIRC it took about 11 hours to print

The layer height for minis is pretty much perfect. I have a really hard time justifying buying models after getting a resin printer ages ago

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Winklebottom posted:

It’s not bad at all, but I would focus on punching up the highlights to create greater contrast. Would make it pop more.

Two Headed Calf posted:

I would both go higher with another highlight and think about deepening the shadows - something like a pure black/dark green in the deepest recesses - particularity on the hands and face.
thanks both. I’ve added another highlight - about 2:1 of pale flesh : waagh flesh - and lined some shadowy areas with pure Payne’s grey ink (such as between the fingers). I think it looks better now!

Before

After

Please ignore the hideous mould line on the leg and boot :gonk: oh god how did i miss that

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hell yeah now we're talking

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Oh yeah, that stands out so much more, nice job!

I feel you on the missed mould lines. I just pretend all my models have varicose veins.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ever think to yourself “i wonder if i can just scrape it off and touch up the paint?” I made that mistake once. Never again. Since taking that picture I put a thick layer of matte varnish on the legand glazed my light blue over it, which has helped it a little bit.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Paint it brown and it's the seam on his jeans

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

Please ignore the hideous mould line on the leg and boot :gonk: oh god how did i miss that

You didn't miss the mold line at all. You just didn't leave out a proper offering to the hobby fairies and they punished you by adding a new one.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Everyone knows that the camera adds 3 mold lines.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not wrong. I certainly keep noticing stray strands or dust whenever I take pictures. Which is kinda why I usually take several of them whenever I do the more serious display pictures in my lightbox.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Cooked Auto posted:

Not wrong. I certainly keep noticing stray strands or dust whenever I take pictures. Which is kinda why I usually take several of them whenever I do the more serious display pictures in my lightbox.

I've seen some painting setups that include a camera and monitor to check for these sorta things in realtime.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I've got my camera hooked up to my computer whenever I use it nowadays just so I can get better preview pictures. Used to run with remote shooting as well but stopped because the auto-focus never worked.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Airbrushes make good compressed air canisters, too.

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

I have a really hard time justifying buying models after getting a resin printer ages ago

I absolutely love that I can download and print models I find online, but it does not prevent me from bying physical miniatures. Instead I now have a digital pile of shame in addition to the one I already had :sigh:

blue collar orc fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 2, 2021

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Xposting from specgames:

Another nasty boy ready to hit the Beastgrave:

nice work, this is making me want to buy the box this guy comes in

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I got a new Gloomhaven mini to paint after unlocking it this past weekend! It's the Eclipse. I would LOVE to paint them so that they match their character art, but I'm a little unsure how to go about doing that. Here's how they look (and I'll spoiler the images since this is an unlockable character in the game):

So they have this semi-transparent/ethereal look to them that, like I said, I'm not sure how replicate. And I don't even mean going so far as to make him appear transparent (which would be kind of cool...), just even evoking the same "feeling" would be cool. Looking up images of this mini painted didn't really help either. So does anyone here have any ideas?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Prime black, then zenithal white to get started, or drybrush white all over so the recesses are black but the raised areas are white. The very lightly glaze in some galactic bright colors, like purple blue green red etc to give a nebula look all over. Traditional highlights etc paint like normal, oh and splatter a little white on it for stars.

Now here's a weird idea: look at the top of the cloak, see how it It looks wispy? Well now that you have the front colors, make the back black. Start with black streaks on it and do it in more and more layers towards the back to lead into the entire back being black. So the front is colored then the back is black so like it's phasing into the material realm. You could stipple a little black on the now white parts of the steaks to make them look translucent.

It's hard to explain in words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i would look up dana howl's videos, as her vaporwave aesthetic on her paintjobs might be a good source of inspiration